Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins: Why the Hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I didn't want 200X to have Marvel Legends articulation but some knee and elbow joints would have been excellent.
    Agree 1000%.

No hunchbacks, no awkward poses, plus knee and elbow articulation would have been fantastic!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 17, 2020 at 01:09pm.
    Odd Man Out

I was looking at my vintage figures, some old toy catalogues and of course the Motu documentaries on Netflix. All the vintage figures were shiny, today's figures are all matte. I personally prefer the shiny look, the new matte on the origins make them look inferior/cheaper, quality wise. Looks like funko pop/savage plastic and colours. It worked well with the Motuc though. Imo.
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    I was looking at my vintage figures, some old toy catalogues and of course the Motu documentaries on Netflix. All the vintage figures were shiny, today's figures are all matte. I personally prefer the shiny look, the new matte on the origins make them look inferior/cheaper, quality wise. Looks like funko pop/savage plastic and colours. It worked well with the Motuc though. Imo.
    I agree. When toys were aimed at kids, shiny and glossy caught the eye. Now that action figures are aimed more at adults, they try to go for a more matte, "statue" look.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    You aren't missing out on much. Most of the Classics are nice enough to look at...but as actual fun action figures to pose and collect they are very disappointing.
    The main characters are far to expensive to even consider buying.
    Best to start fresh with Origins.
    Yep. I'm kind of thankful that I actually sold off most of my Classics well before Origins was ever announced, keeping only my favorites, so that now I feel less conflicted about having some genuine fun with these Origins. Plus, I have none of my childhood vintage anymore, so I don't feel like I'm doubling up on stuff I already have. Ultimately, I love the idea that kids might actually have a shot, and an interest, in buying this line. If that actually happens, then I will absolutely revel in seeing that phenomenon play out. Snatch the last Scareglow on the peg right out of my hands, kid, you can have him. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    I like the matte finish of modern stuff. It also hearkens back to the hand painted resin models you'd see in a lot of catalogs, or like on the side of the Grayskull box.

Even the vintage toys when new had a lot of matte finish looking parts, due to the materials. For instance, the soft heads and the arms on many figures were matte-looking, although the chests and legs were more shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Etherius Eterno View Post
    Snatch the last Scareglow on the peg right out of my hands, kid, you can have him. Have fun.
    This 1000%. Toys should be bought to be played with and enjoyed. Not just standing collecting dust on a shelf or especially bought to cover costs to scalp and sell for profit.

Hermione is really excited about this line (and the WWE guys, even though we don't like wrestling). She likes that these are more affordable toys, appreciating that our MOTUC guys are a bit more fragile (and that they would be terribly expensive in most cases to replace). (In fact, while Spring Breaking at the Frio River last week, we noticed that our MOTUC Scareglow had a crack in his neck from occasionally removing his head.) (We fixed him with a bit of superglue when we came home.)

She likes taking our Origins SDCC He-Man and the Wave 1 wrestlers and having wars with them. She was hesitant at first, having always been very protective of what used to be "Daddy's toys," though now we officially share them all.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Uki, it's great to hear about a child being excited about Origins!
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Agree 1000%.

No hunchbacks, no awkward poses, plus knee and elbow articulation would have been fantastic!
    +1 on them 200x hunchbaacks. Although I am collecting a few like the sdcc keldor. But just too weird for me. The hunch thing seems like a post 90s thing or something

Heroic Warrior
    This 1000%. Toys should be bought to be played with and enjoyed. Not just standing collecting dust on a shelf or especially bought to cover costs to scalp and sell for profit.
    I can't wait for kids to get their hands on Origins. The wrestlers are so much fun. Like many people here who aren't parents, I don't really play with my toys anymore, but I couldn't resist with these. They're so chunky and fun. I don't even have any nostalgia for vintage MOTU (I'm seventeen), but these are just the perfect play toys. I can't wait for WWE wave two (my Walmart isn't getting non essentials in for a while).

Also, does anyone know if Light Hope is like prone to breaking just from basic posing? I'm a little wary about him because of what Uki said about Scare Glow, but I really want to pose him behind the Powercon She-Ra.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    I can't wait for kids to get their hands on Origins. The wrestlers are so much fun. Like many people here who aren't parents, I don't really play with my toys anymore, but I couldn't resist with these. They're so chunky and fun. I don't even have any nostalgia for vintage MOTU (I'm seventeen), but these are just the perfect play toys. I can't wait for WWE wave two (my Walmart isn't getting non essentials in for a while).

Also, does anyone know if Light Hope is like prone to breaking just from basic posing? I'm a little wary about him because of what Uki said about Scare Glow, but I really want to pose him behind the Powercon She-Ra.
    Dude, I had my kids run through all my collection and can tell you stories. Some of the figures are delicate like scare glow, he ended up in pieces as if it was a lightbulb. About light hope he has gone through some adventures and wars and change headings, and the only complain about him is that he is getting like pinkish.or was that hisnoroginal color?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by poderuniverso View Post
    Dude, I had my kids run through all my collection and can tell you stories. Some of the figures are delicate like scare glow, he ended up in pieces as if it was a lightbulb. About light hope he has gone through some adventures and wars and change headings, and the only complain about him is that he is getting like pinkish.or was that hisnoroginal color?
    Okay, I'm going to have to pick him up. He looks amazing (and most pics of him are pink, so I think he was always pink).

+1 on them 200x hunchbaacks. Although I am collecting a few like the sdcc keldor. But just too weird for me. The hunch thing seems like a post 90s thing or something
    I gotta admit....I actually think the hunchback works for BEAST MAN, but that's it.

But yeah....with Beasty, you get that whole 'Igor / simpering lackey' kind of thing.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I gotta admit....I actually think the hunchback works for BEAST MAN, but that's it.

But yeah....with Beasty, you get that whole 'Igor / simpering lackey' kind of thing.
    Beastman waa my favourite 200X figure.

I hated this line when I first saw it, but now it can't wait to not be able to find it in stores and then pay over the odds for it on ebay.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trap-grr View Post
    I hated this line when I first saw it, but now it can't wait to not be able to find it in stores and then pay over the odds for it on ebay.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk
    Just be thankful Super 7 aren't making or could could add a 1+ year delay to the expected release.
    Last edited by Mark M; March 18, 2020 at 08:13am.

Beastman waa my favourite 200X figure.
    Cool. I love how enormous the 200x version of him was. He should look big, frightening, and just plain freaky.

- - - Updated - - -

Just be thankful Super 7 aren't making or could could add a 1+ year delay to the expected release.
    Stop it!! I ordered an S7 Grune!!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 18, 2020 at 04:08pm.
    Odd Man Out

I want some 6" MYP articulated figures. I also want more Club Grayskull. The MYP designs were amazing and since then we have been steadily moving backwards. We only got mini statues of some many characters back then. I look at the awesome Turtles by Neca and the new GI Joe coming out and that is where my money is going. The GI Joes have nice detailing and paint apps.

I felt like we took a big step back with Classics as far as detailing and paint apps and now we are moving further backwards. For the same price I am jumping in on GI Joe and continuing the Turtles.

Bring me some MYP designs on the Classics buck and Club Grayskull back and I am in for more MOTU. Until then its a solid no. Especially now with money being tighter. I just can't justify something I already almost have.

The 200x MYP characters have hardly no articulation and many only came as statues. I want these as highly articulated figures.

I don't like origins long arms, short legs, and blandness of the figure overall.
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

I remember seeing the 200X figures for the first time and wondering why so many of them were hunched over in strange poses... and they looked so lethargic in comparison to the beefy vintage line.

I think that's why Classics was such a breath of fresh air... it was almost a return to form for He-Man and crew. The 4H dialed back on the sci-fi and pushed the classic fantasy aspects a bit more.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

The 200X series was divisive, for sure. We called it MOTSU when it launched (Masters of the Scoliosis Universe). While I eventually warmed up to the line, the styles have not aged well. It's very dated today.

Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    I want some 6" MYP articulated figures. I also want more Club Grayskull. The MYP designs were amazing and since then we have been steadily moving backwards. We only got mini statues of some many characters back then. I look at the awesome Turtles by Neca and the new GI Joe coming out and that is where my money is going. The GI Joes have nice detailing and paint apps.

I felt like we took a big step back with Classics as far as detailing and paint apps and now we are moving further backwards. For the same price I am jumping in on GI Joe and continuing the Turtles.

Bring me some MYP designs on the Classics buck and Club Grayskull back and I am in for more MOTU. Until then its a solid no. Especially now with money being tighter. I just can't justify something I already almost have.

The 200x MYP characters have hardly no articulation and many only came as statues. I want these as highly articulated figures.

I don't like origins long arms, short legs, and blandness of the figure overall.
    Your post seems kinda all over the place.

You want 200X in hyper articulation.

Classics was a step backwards, but you want new Classics figures.

GI Joe and TMNT will be getting all of your money, unless Classics (which you don't want because it's expensive and limited in paint and articulation) continued production.

You want MYP on Classics bucks, but you don't want something you almost already have?

Origins are new styles with added articulation, at 1/3 the price of Classics. But you don't want them because they're not like anything you already have? And you want hyper articulation but your money's tight, but you want an expensive figure with limited articulation?

This is why I hate focus groups. "I want exactly the same thing I already have, but I want something completely different from what I already have. I don't want anything new, but I don't want anything old. I want something bright red, but not red red, you know?"
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post

This is why I hate focus groups. "I want exactly the same thing I already have, but I want something completely different from what I already have. I don't want anything new, but I don't want anything old. I want something bright red, but not red red, you know?"
    I am not trying to directly comment about any specific person but the kind of person you are describing (and many around here do fit into the type) which I see thusly:

It's the people who were fans and nostalgia keeps them paying attention. But what they seem not to realize is what they ACTUALLY want is to be back at that age, with more of the same. What these fans really want is just to be able to relive over what they already had, and have it last longer. They want to be kids again and unfortunately it's over.

Fortunately I and others have realized that the way to do that is be like a kid. Open to the next thing and looking for the cool, not sitting around like old men and grumbling about how everything was "better in the old days".

Nostalgia is great but it is only so when we use it to appreciate things and look to the future. Otherwise it is a bitter prison. Anyone curious look up the origins of the word and concept of Nostalgia.

When you pull back and look at the whole picture, we are very lucky.

Think about it....

-Comemmerative line
    -200x line along with a new cartoon
    -Classics shows up, and what was planned as a 6 figure line ends up lasting 10 years and giving us 300+ figures
    -S7 Vintage style figures
    -S7 Movie figures
    -MCX MOTU with the Wind Raider and Castle Grayskull!
    -Mondo MOTU
    -Origins debuts, plus 2 new cartoons are planned

I'm not trashing anybody's views....I'm just saying that I'm glad it keeps going. To me, it's practically a miracle that Mattel decided to revisit MOTU after dropping Classics.

But MOTU just refuses to die...
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 28, 2020 at 04:02pm.
    Odd Man Out

Widget
    Seemed pretty obvious that T-man prefers diversity of design in his collection. He doesn't seem to be a fan of the vintage aesthetic, which is an aesthetic of obvious reuse. What he likes about the Club Grayskull figures is that regardless of whether or not there is reuse in the line, the figures look and feel more distinct. What he likes about a 200x design, or a CG figure is that those figures look like they were made to be those characters, not made into that character.

Personally, I prefer the vintage aesthetic, which somehow straddles being timeless, and distinctly 80's simultaneously. But I completely understand why someone would prefer the styling of a 200x or CG figure.

I can't find the source, but I know I heard someone at Mattel or toyguru saying something about how the core cast of characters sell so much better than the B/C-listers, to the point that it is a priority to find ways to re-release those characters in new ways. There was a plan to do new, fully articulated 200x figures, but that was passed on in favor of either Classics or Origins.

As DC_Warlord points out, there's quite a range of MOTU product available throughout the years, and there's only assuredly going to be even more with the upcoming Netflix series/movie.

With the way vintage has continued to cycle back into availability in various forms, I'm certain that we'll have a return to both 200x and Classics in some fashion. Just a matter of time, but who knows how long.

Quote Originally Posted by toyhandle View Post
    I'm certain that we'll have a return to both 200x and Classics in some fashion. Just a matter of time, but who knows how long.
    I would definitely be interested in cherry picking a few fully articulated 200x figures. My only fear is that by the time they happen, they will be 80 plus bucks a piece because of the unique tooling.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    The 200X series was divisive, for sure. We called it MOTSU when it launched (Masters of the Scoliosis Universe). While I eventually warmed up to the line, the styles have not aged well. It's very dated today.

Your post seems kinda all over the place.

You want 200X in hyper articulation.

Classics was a step backwards, but you want new Classics figures.

GI Joe and TMNT will be getting all of your money, unless Classics (which you don't want because it's expensive and limited in paint and articulation) continued production.

You want MYP on Classics bucks, but you don't want something you almost already have?

Origins are new styles with added articulation, at 1/3 the price of Classics. But you don't want them because they're not like anything you already have? And you want hyper articulation but your money's tight, but you want an expensive figure with limited articulation?

Finally, someone else acknowledges that the 200X designs are very late 90's, early 2000's and are just too fake anime. Today's cartoons and toys that really appeal to kids are super stylized and cartoony. For example, look at two of the most popular children's shows of the last decade, Adventure Time and Steven Universe. Both are super stylized and simple in their character designs. I imagine we're going to continue seeing MOTU in a stylized manner for the foreseeable future, as kids aren't into super crazy detailed toys and animation anymore.

If the MOTU cartoons can pull off great characters and stories, I bet this will be a hit with the 5-20 crowd (which She-Ra already did). So if they can manage to actually put out enough product in a timely manner (something She-Ra didn't do), I think this will be a hit.

I did a lot of volunteering at my local library a few years ago, and I noticed that kids really like characters they can draw. Like, they're more likely to draw someone who's a few basic shapes than someone with hyper anime detail or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I am not trying to directly comment about any specific person but the kind of person you are describing (and many around here do fit into the type) which I see thusly:

It's the people who were fans and nostalgia keeps them paying attention. But what they seem not to realize is what they ACTUALLY want is to be back at that age, with more of the same. What these fans really want is just to be able to relive over what they already had, and have it last longer. They want to be kids again and unfortunately it's over.

Fortunately I and others have realized that the way to do that is be like a kid. Open to the next thing and looking for the cool, not sitting around like old men and grumbling about how everything was "better in the old days".

Nostalgia is great but it is only so when we use it to appreciate things and look to the future. Otherwise it is a bitter prison. Anyone curious look up the origins of the word and concept of Nostalgia.
    Things like this make me glad I don't have nostalgia for this brand. I saw a few episodes of the various cartoons in preschool, and had like some second hand 200X figures, but I don't have any meaningful connection to the brand outside of thinking it's cool and loving the world, characters, stories, and art. Idk, I guess it gives me a sort of more objective view on stuff.