Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Origins: Why the Hate?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mizterfish View Post
    I’ve since edited my original post, but it should have said “no” place financially, meaning I couldn’t afford to start collecting it at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow mister fish. I was cracking up on my own fat fingered gibberish. I cant understand me. Congrats in you being able to lol

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Also from what I've known, Brian lives in a fancy neighborhood in the Bay Area, so the pricey sandwiches are the least of his worries!

But yes, this city and the neighboring areas have become ridiculous to sustain a good living without earning a six figure income or more!
    This is why I left San Francisco in 2013 (after living there for almost 12 years!)! I just couldn't afford it on SSI, even with a hotel room that was only 30% of my income. Everything was just too much. I do miss it sometimes though. As I lived just blocks from Giants stadium, I used to go to the area in the back where they let you watch some of the game and I loved Mccovey cove.
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/

I'm Bacccck!

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    These have grown on me.
    Now, I may just pick up the figures that I didn't have as a kid like Scareglow (neither of us had; not sure if my cousins had him either since he might have been deemed too scary by my Aunt and/or Uncle since they determined Hodak & Grizzlor were to scary and Spikor was dangerous, but I digress.... ) & Man-E-Faces (brother had; I didn't), but my completist ways may get me to try to collect them all.... only time will tell.
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

That Orko is the only Origins figure I need. That is Filmation Orko! Sneaky devils at Super 7! And curse my life...now I have to step into a Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    That Orko is the only Origins figure I need. That is Filmation Orko! Sneaky devils at Super 7! And curse my life...now I have to step into a Walmart.
    The Super7 Orko (from the 5.5" line) was actually really good too, as was the Mattel MOTU Classics version. Every new version of Orko seems to be really solid.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I get it. If a person is a big fan of modern mainstream Marvel Legends/Mezco/NECA-type action figures, Origins is probably a step backwards from Classics. Totally makes sense that it might not be their cup of tea.
    Personally, I waaaaaaay prefer Origins to Classics. But I don't really find joy in most of the popular modern stuff. I'm for sure more of a vintage guy and Origins gets a little bit closer to that purely toyetic vibe, for me.
    But I don't think there's much of a point of actively hating on different versions of different toys from the same property. To 99.9999999999% of the rest of the world, we're essentially arguing about Beanie Babies.

I like it.

Origins is a solid line from this premise, sure a bit far from my collective needs with Classics still my favorite and more adult-oriented.
    What If Origins has in place to gauge interest mostly in kids /new generation of fans than I'm completely fine with that because they're so pop, colourful and playable with all the vintage action features included I guess.
    The packaging anyway is beyond amazing, I'll prob buy some just to keep moc in the card. That Battlecat is growin on me also, the motuc one it's still the best but I'l give it try, we'll see about that
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    I like it.

Origins is gonna kick so much tail!!

I can't wait!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Just saw the origins being sold on europe online. Seems like they will get them 1st.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by poderuniverso View Post
    Just saw the origins being sold on europe online. Seems like they will get them 1st.
    Wait, what? Is it just pre-order? I can't wait to see what they look like. I hope Pixel Dan gets them when Europe does rather than when the US does.

Quote Originally Posted by poderuniverso View Post
    What do you mean 'being sold'? And more so, why wouldn't you provide a link if that's true?
    Origins are not being sold already in European stores. You have some eBay pre-orders with a scalper price of 60 or at best, stores pre-orders without a factual release date.
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

Be very wary of any European retailer claiming they'll have these in stock on May 1st. Europe should be getting the line on 01/01/21 along with everyone else who isn't Wal-Mart.

But, I don't work for Mattel, so maybe there's some secret exclusive distro I'm not aware of.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I still have all my childhood MOTU figures and play sets and been collecting the classics from the start all in. But yeah I'm passing on the Origin line and not just because I'm ****** at Mattel stopping Super7 from producing Classics and Club Grayskull lines,. but because they look out of proportion, With their long arms and short legs. They look like Gorillas.

Heroic Warrior
    I know the Road Ripper is far from being a fan favorite or the most interesting MOTU vehicle, but does anyone else want to see it show up in this line?

I'll pick up a few origins figures, but I'm not thrilled about the line.

Technically these guys may be better articulated than the Classics line, but from a visual aesthetic it is a downgrade from MOTUC which was basically this line in concept (articulated vintage figures with better sculpting).

We'll see how successful Origins is and how many characters they can get produced (Horde and Snakemen please).

TMNT is on it's 5th (?) iteration? Transformers and GI Joe have how many different line? All with widely different visual styles but still identifiable characters.

At certain point MOTU needs to actually move forward and stop going back into the past if the brand is ever going to be relevant again in my opinion.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; March 15, 2020 at 01:42am.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    I know the Road Ripper is far from being a fan favorite or the most interesting MOTU vehicle, but does anyone else want to see it show up in this line?
    Absolutely!! Awesome vehicle in my opinion as well.
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

I'm very unsure on the Origins line, but then again, I completely missed the bus on Classics. I learned of them FAR too late, and the main cast is far too expensive to start collecting at this point. Looking at prices upwards of $300 for Panthor is insanity to me when I could order Snake Mountain for not too much more in the grand scheme ( For what you're getting ).

Origins is a hopeful start for me to be able to get articulated figures of these characters for the first time, but seeing all the pictures of classics, I can't help but feel a little left out. I still consider trying to source the SDCC Origins 2 Pack as that still 'feels' cheaper than buying a Classics He-Man for now. Especially since I would be able to more likely source the other figures for a much lower price point moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DrowningRabbit View Post
    I'm very unsure on the Origins line, but then again, I completely missed the bus on Classics. I learned of them FAR too late, and the main cast is far too expensive to start collecting at this point. Looking at prices upwards of $300 for Panthor is insanity to me when I could order Snake Mountain for not too much more in the grand scheme ( For what you're getting ).

Origins is a hopeful start for me to be able to get articulated figures of these characters for the first time, but seeing all the pictures of classics, I can't help but feel a little left out. I still consider trying to source the SDCC Origins 2 Pack as that still 'feels' cheaper than buying a Classics He-Man for now. Especially since I would be able to more likely source the other figures for a much lower price point moving forward.
    You aren't missing out on much. Most of the Classics are nice enough to look at...but as actual fun action figures to pose and collect they are very disappointing.
    The main characters are far to expensive to even consider buying.
    Best to start fresh with Origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    You aren't missing out on much. Most of the Classics are nice enough to look at...but as actual fun action figures to pose and collect they are very disappointing.
    The main characters are far to expensive to even consider buying.
    Best to start fresh with Origins.
    As someone who has dabbled with figure photography, I was looking through and dug up my old 200X Orko and Skeletor and I didn't realize till I saw them again that they were not very pose-able, just like the vintage line. I like the updated designs ( Orko looks like a badass which is a little odd though ) but the lack of freedom was a real down note. That's what I'm mostly looking forward to in Origins.

Quote Originally Posted by DrowningRabbit View Post
    at they were not very pose-able, just like the vintage line.
    It's weird.

Originally, the 200x line was designed to be highly articulated, but Mattel squashed that concept. They cited something about wanting the toys to be extremely durable, rather than highly articulated. Later, they released DCU Classics, which were generously articulated.

I've never understood that.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 16, 2020 at 01:22pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    It's weird.

Originally, the 200x line was designed to be highly articulated, but Mattel squashed that concept. They cited something about wanting the toys to be extremely durable, rather than highly articulated. Later, they released DCU Classics, which were generously articulated.

Welp, Today I Learned!

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    It's weird.

DCUC were aimed more at adult collectors rather than lots of play...and were pretty terrible lol.

I didn't want 200X to have Marvel Legends articulation but some knee and elbow joints would have been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    DCUC were aimed more at adult collectors rather than lots of play...and were pretty terrible lol.

I didn't want 200X to have Marvel Legends articulation but some knee and elbow joints would have been excellent.
    Yes!

The 200X line was riddled with weird decisions...

The scale was strange, the articulation was inconsistent and lacking, the accessories were odd, and -perhaps the worst - was the main character looks like Quasimodo and Justin Beiber's love-child.

As much as I love MOTU, I always felt that 200X wanted to be twenty different things at once, yet couldn't get any of them right.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

I like 'em. If not for Classics I may have even been obsessed with them. As it stands I do not plan to get many of them. If they are cheap enough, and more importantly, available enough in brick and mortar stores I may even pick more up than I expect to.

I love the idea of them actually, if kids would actually want these and play with them. I may just buy a bunch to give to my daughter so that I "get 'em by proxy". But I only think I HAVE to have Scare Glow for instance, because it's just too inexpensive not to finally get one for my Vintage shelf. I could see getting characters I dont have in vintage anymore (most) that I particularly love...but we'll see. I hope it does well either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yes!

The 200X line was riddled with weird decisions...

The scale was strange, the articulation was inconsistent and lacking, the accessories were odd, and -perhaps the worst - was the main character looks like Quasimodo and Justin Beiber's love-child.

As much as I love MOTU, I always felt that 200X wanted to be twenty different things at once, yet couldn't get any of them right.
    Definitely. He-Man was arguably the overall worst designed/sculpted figure in the line.