Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins: Why the Hate?

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Yes yes yes! Zoar (and Screech) should be a separate toy. Here is my Zoar wish list:
    --NON-rubber wings, but can "flap" with button on one leg.
    --Other leg also has button that operates a bomb-bay door to release a bomb under Zoar's body (bird-dropping jokes will commence)
    --Articulated wings at the "elbows" to fold back.
    --Talons are spring-loaded to be able to "grip." Feet are wide enough apart so they can fit around a basic figure's head so Zoar can "grip" a figure by their shoulders and carry them off.
    --Two extra bombs can be stored in clasps on either side of the armor.

For Screech, some extra "cyber" detail on the bird's face and talons to show that it is a cyborg.
    With a low case ratio then I hope otherwise that’s a guaranteed peg warmer I fear!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Wonder if Mattel still have the CG Classics mould? Might be a good re-release in the MOTU Origins line as is. Maybe just fewer paint apps and accessories to bring the price point down?
    I really hope that’s the route they go down, maybe sans the floor panels and such. But scale size I think it fits perfectly? Classics CG was initially intended to be a little bigger but was scaled down. It would be such an amazing playset for today’s children! I’d definitely buy one for my son, but I’d buy it if it was a more modern version of the vintage too, so... yeah
    Last edited by Razzerian; September 19, 2019 at 06:53am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    With a low case ratio then I hope otherwise that’s a guaranteed peg warmer I fear!

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope that’s the route they go down, maybe sans the floor panels and such. But scale size I think it fits perfectly? Classics CG was initially intended to be a little bigger but was scaled down. It would be such an amazing playset for today’s children! I’d definitely buy one for my son, but I’d buy it if it was a more modern version of the vintage too, so... yeah
    I just would be surprised if an Origins Grayskull was targeted at over $100 MSRP.

It doesn’t fit with the rest of the line pricing. That had a $350 MSRP.

I’d expect something much more in line with the Batman vs. Superman Ultimate Batcave or Justice League Ultimate Battleground. That was 4 feet tall (one sided and counting cardboard pieces) and $105 and included a figure.

Likewise, Funko’s Batcave was $70.

I’m expecting around $100 including a Sorceress.

They might use MOTUC as inspiration, particularly how the ledge from the minicomic was brought back in. If the interior is detailed, it probably means ditching the back half of the clamshell.

Maybe you could sell the back half with the elevator as a separate set and have it connect on either side so you can get a 200x 3-walled diorama by buying 2 of the back wall set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    Anyone passing Origins off as just rehashes of the vintage figures, clearly hasn't held an Origins figure in their hands. The sculpting, the articulation, the general feel, the posing, the ability to swap parts... All significantly better than MOTUC. Again, I own nearly every MOTUC figure... And within a couple of days of owning the SDCC Origins He-Man, it became my favorite MOTU figure ever. Even though it has less actual points of articulation, it poses WAY better and is much more intuitive. The range of motion you get out of the neck in particular is awesome. And I love that they finally nailed a He-Man head sculpt. The new He-Man head is the best one they've made, far better than the various tries with MOTUC.

Origins has so much potential. I don't know how anyone can say the Origins designs are anything but MOTU in it's purest form.
    ^THIS. I've owned every iteration of Masters of the Universe toys since 1981. I flipped out when Mattel issued the Commemorative Series. Then 200x completely sucked me in...I remember driving almost 100 miles round trip looking for Mer-Man and Man-E-Faces at retail. When Classics started I was ecstatic. I was all in from the beginning and foolishly sold off my collection in 2012 when it appeared Castle Grayskull was never going to happen. Since then I got my castle, and bought many of the figures back. I had reservations about Origins when they were first shown...I thought they looked a little strange. I took the plunge however and bout the SDCC two-pack. Once I had these figures in hand, I was FLOORED. Photos do NOT do these figures justice. The quality is beyond amazing. Of all the He-Man figures I own...this is the best. It transports me back to 1981...when I fell in love with MOTU, and yet it has all the goodness of modern figures. I can't wait to see what's coming.

SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

Personally, I'm okay with Classics ending. I would've been okay continuing to collect Club Filmation though. As far as being a nostalgic toy that has all the advantages of modern tooling and articulation those were the best available after Classics. But Mattel nipped that in the bud at a VERY irritating time, as seems to be their wont, leaving the Filmation collection woefully incomplete. Also, I had hoped Super 7 would resurrect some of the more difficult to obtain Classics figures with their Ultimates releases. Alas, so it goes.

I don't hope Origins fails just like I didn't hope the other lines I didn't collect would fail (Funko anything, ReAction, Super 7's retro line, those chibi mini things). But those other lines were also co-existing with the lines I do appreciate (Classics, MegaConstrux). Mattel just swoops in and puts the kibosh on everything so shortly after licensing it off... it's a jerk move from a company with a history of jerk moves.

And all this for bad head sculpts and weird joints. The elbows look bad and the knees have weird skin flaps. I'm all for disguising the articulation, but Origins looks like amateur hour to me. But that's just me. If you're excited for them, good! Different people can be excited about different things. And I had my run with Classics and now I'm excited about MegaConstrux. If anything, I'm grateful for Origins because it'll mean less stress on my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Don't get me wrong here, because I love everything Classics... (and I would do almost anything for the rest of the NA era to be included.)

But, for how much longer did folks think MOTUC would/should/could legitimately continue?
    Redacted. Sorry man, I just realized that I already responded to this and you responded in kind.

I’d love to hold one in my hand, any ideas on getting a set below $150....or better yet I’d like cost....so $40. Moving us from a 10 year run on classics to updated vintage figures that are closing in on 40 year old designs, would have been easier if many of us could have bought a set at sdcc and been able to hold them. Instead we have little leaks for a year.

Not winning me over with eBay exclusives!
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by rank_and_vile View Post
    And all this for bad head sculpts and weird joints. The elbows look bad and the knees have weird skin flaps. I'm all for disguising the articulation, but Origins looks like amateur hour to me.
    As excited as I am about Origins, you make a fair point. I find the knee joints on Teela and Evil Lyn extremely awkward and hard on the eyes. It's not quite as bad on the male figures because the legs are bulkier.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    I don't hate them. I'm still undecided on whether I will buy them. But I am sad that Mattel decided to end Classics and Filmation for it. I don't really think that the different lines, with extremely different distribution models, are in any way competing with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I took the plunge however and bout the SDCC two-pack. Once I had these figures in hand, I was FLOORED. Photos do NOT do these figures justice. The quality is beyond amazing. Of all the He-Man figures I own...this is the best. It transports me back to 1981...when I fell in love with MOTU, and yet it has all the goodness of modern figures. I can't wait to see what's coming.
    I have to agree.

The SDCC 2-pack is incredible. The figures are rugged, durable, well-articulated and, most importantly, feel like coming home again.

I keep saying this, but I believe that once those people -who are on the fence, or outright refusing to get any Origins - have one in-hand, a lot of minds are going to change.

I wish that the SDCC exclusives were more readily available so that more people could witness the construction and build of these figures. It would only serve Mattel to have positive word-of-mouth out and about...

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Redacted. Sorry man, I just realized that I already responded to this and you responded in kind.
    No worries!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    I don't hate them. I'm still undecided on whether I will buy them. But I am sad that Mattel decided to end Classics and Filmation for it. I don't really think that the different lines, with extremely different distribution models, are in any way competing with one another.
    Agreed. They really wouldn’t compete with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    The figures are rugged, durable, well-articulated and, most importantly, feel like coming home again.
    I love hearing that.

To each his own, but I'm sure that more than a few Nay Sayers will go ahead and buy these when they see them in person. After being on message boards for well over a decade, I've learned that lots of people collect just for the sake of collecting, period. I guess it gives them something to look forward to. Then, when the line ends, they sell all their unopened figures and move on to the next thing.

And if you don't care for Origins, that's cool, too. I'm just happy that MOTU didn't die completely in the 80s. It just keeps coming back!
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I love hearing that.

To each his own, but I'm sure that more than a few Nay Sayers will go ahead and buy these when they see them in person. After being on message boards for well over a decade, I've learned that lots of people collect just for the sake of collecting, period. I guess it gives them something to look forward to. Then, when the line ends, they sell all their unopened figures and move on to the next thing.

And if you don't care for Origins, that's cool, too. I'm just happy that MOTU didn't die completely in the 80s. It just keeps coming back!
    You're definitely right on that. Lol. But not me man. I fit in my own criteria. 25th joes brought me into toys as an adult when toys were the last thing I ever thought of prior, actually never even thought about toys prior lol. My hobbies were fresh water fishing and making hip hop music. Lol. But after 25th few months later came the motuc, both are still the only lines I collect. I folded and finally gave into the black series, but only after trilogy. And snuck in thundercats only cuase they were on the motuc bucks same with conan, and toxic. Joe's been dead for years and started to enjoy my motuc instead and been chugging along with them with interest instead of just buying em and storing em til I had the space. Before that that's what I did, I displayed some of my joes and stored the motuc every month. But no classics, then I'll just stick with thundercats conan and whatever other line that uses that buck. As for joes. Heard fortnite people are making the new ones, so that's more money saved from buying joes lol. If the 6 inch turn out like bigger size 25th joes, I might cherry pick. But I highly doubt the will resonate with me so no plans on it. Oh you know what else I got suckered into collecting? Megas, mondo, and tls. Lol. Not sure I will continue with tls, megas I'm up in the air, I really like the figures more that the lego crap. And mondo, I figured I'll take that til the end. They are pretty cool regardless of the price. Took me years to warm up, and merman was the one who sparked the interest. In which, I preordered mine and still hasn't shipped and was charged 25 for shipping, and I know a dude that just ordered one off the site and got it already and not 25 dhipping. That actually makes me mad.

Also, I know you're one of the supporters for this, dc warlord figures. After my replacement kittrina arrives from s7 I am making a list of licenses they should look into getting that will both work for motuc bucks, and reaction. Some will only work for one or the other and some will work for both lines. But I'm not submitting my list til I get my kittrina. I'm really gonna go for the throat with the warlord. I'll present pics and all info in case they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by unclassified; February 15, 2020 at 09:14am.

I don't hate Origins either, but they are step backwards in terms of my aesthetic. The gimmicks made the characters fun when I was young, but now I am a stickler for detail. The Origins are actually less sculpted than even the vintage line with no gimmicks, going more towards the Filmation cartoon effect. Classics was better, plain and simple.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Also, I know you're one of the supporters for this, dc warlord figures. After my replacement kittrina arrives from s7 I am making a list of licenses they should look into getting that will both work for motuc bucks, and reaction. Some will only work for one or the other and some will work for both lines. But I'm not submitting my list til I get my kittrina. I'm really gonna go for the throat with the warlord. I'll present pics and all info in case they have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Awesome sauce!!

I would LOVE a Classic Warlord figure, obviously. It's kind of frustrating that the closest we have is the JLU Unlimited version. The DCD one looks great, but of course it's not his Classic look. Sure, there's the old Remco one, but an update would be the bees knees.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Just saw the 2019 power con panel... cant wait for the origins

Heroic Warrior
    If Origins does well, I wouldn't be surprised if McFarlane or Funko does super articulated 5.5 DC figures (either as a soft reboot of the Primal Age line or doing straight comic designs).

Origins existing is great!

Mattel not realizing many lines can exist together is not.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

I’ve been unimpressed by the majority of the figures I’ve got from Super 7, I haven’t got all their offerings though, and I was never really a fan of the original figures due to their limited articulation, these figures though, I’m actually looking forward to getting, at least to see what they’re actually like.

I have the SDCC he-man and the wwe motu figures and they are just ok. The range of motion isn't as good as classics nor is the sculpting but that is fine since the aesthetic of the line is dif and supposed to reproduce the original figures.

I just won't be rebuying the entire core characters again. I have classics. I will get he-man, skeletor, and faker which are my characters I get from any motu line and that is it I guess. I am sure I will have friends and family get me a figure every once in awhile since I am 'the he-man guy' lol

Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    Origins existing is great!

Mattel not realizing many lines can exist together is not.
    This is my major annoyance. They can't even have classics be con exclusives? That is just dumb.
    cogito ergo doleo

No hate here! Quite the opposite, I can't remember the last time I was so hyped for something material to hit the stores. I'm looking forward to the PS5, the new OLED flagships etc but the MOTU origins line takes the spot #1 in my heart.

Everything I've seen so far, including the speculations sounds brilliant. My little cousins also jumped on the hype train after I told them they could finally get their own MOTU toys. They love to play with my vintage toys every time they visit.

(Remember people were negative/doubtful about many Motuc figures as well, only for them to end up being sold out immediately on mattycollector. I doubt people hate the origins line, some might be sceptical or concerned but as soon as the first wave releases, they will surely change their mind and feel the need to own some of these figures as well.)
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

So once again, no hate but in defense of me and my Classics defenders, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    i hate it. mattel gambled that classics customers would buy origins if they stopped making classics & based on the comments that i'm reading here, mattel was right. i guess good for them, but it's bad for me. i'm not buying origins, i want more classics.

Heroic Warrior
    Banal as it may sound, and it has already been said by others, you have to take these for what they are: cheap (ish), retail-friendly American toys, the kind of thing you will see reviewed on OAFE and Michael Crawford. Nothing wrong of course, but you can’t expect them to be something they’re not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    mattel gambled that classics customers would buy origins if they stopped making classics & based on the comments that i'm reading here, mattel was right.
    It's very frustrating.

I'm pretty excited about Origins, but there was no need for Classics to go on hiatus. I mean, Mondo can keep making MOTU, and MCX is going full-on MOTU. There are going to be MOTU Pops ( or Dorbz...I always mix those up ), so explain to me again why Classics had to end??
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    i hate it. mattel gambled that classics customers would buy origins if they stopped making classics & based on the comments that i'm reading here, mattel was right. i guess good for them, but it's bad for me. i'm not buying origins, i want more classics.
    Best wishes to fans of Origins. So far, it's not for me, but I will be still be a MOTU fan.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX