Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins: Why the Hate?

I don't hate Origins but because of Origins there's some good and some bad.

The good:

They come with brand new mini-comics! To me the mini-comics are an important part of MOTU and I was sad that alternate heads won the vote for MOTUC, though fortunately we did end up getting some mini-comics in the end.

They're in the same scale as our old toys, so they can all interact together until Origins pumps out all the updated beasts, playsets and vehicles.

They'll be affordable and a good substitute for any older expensive figures. Here's hoping we get a Tytus and Megator early on in their correct scale.

The WWE cross-over line will at least offer us something new alongside all of our old familiar friends.

The kind of good:

The cheaper price point means I'll have more money to spend on all the Classics lines that Super7 is going to be churning out in 2020.

The bad:

Buying the same characters for the umpteenth time does get somewhat tiresome.

MOTUC is on a hiatus until Origins folds and we may never get to finish New Adventures, which is an incredible shame. As well as probably never receive a slew of brand new characters.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

It happens. 200X killed off the Commemorative line that I loved. 200X died on it's own from lack of articulation, missing the chunky kid like qualities, case raios and cartoon not being on at the right times, or lasting long enough.

Classics only worked due to the 4 Horsemen's love for the line, Toy Guru pushing it, and us buying all the clubs/subs to show there was interest. (We are way to nostalgic of a group here at the ORG)

Super7 trying to save the line was an awesome, but failed attempt. As much as Super7 wanted to make it work, using inferior factories to lower production costs killed the quality of the figures, from waxy skin, to horrid face paint apps.

I think this will be great, as much as we complained about having to rebuy every figure in classics at the time, this is the same thing, just then is was was 2008.
    (What??? Why are the new classic figures too big, they won't fit with my current 80's collection, Wrong face skulpt, Fat armor, Backward shoulders, swapped forearms, where is my 200X style classics, what anime is dead? Why is my Green Goddess crotch exploding? Cracks, cracks, come on Roboto keep it together. What the hell is the Mighty Spector... SCOTT!)

Horde your classics, make customs of the last figures we need and lets have fun enjoying these new Origins figures. Generation "Z" will love them if we help push them. Buy them for your Grandkids, Nephews, and nieces. Get a bunch for Toys for Tots.

If classics never existed, we would all be jumping for joy over this new line. Share the fun!!!!!

I'm too old to be "hating" on a product or taking my ball and going home. I'm not interested, plain and simple. Don't like something these days? Vote with your wallet. MOTU is taking a back seat they had an AMAZING run, Super7's Thundercats are gonna drive for a bit, along with some of their classics turtles, though thankfully on my wallet I'm not extremely nostalgic for that line, and I'm more focusing Neca's animated style. I did think it was ultra clever and cheeky of Brian to do Splinter and Baxter as he knows collectors will buy them as their stand in's for animated style until Neca announces them as well.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    I haven't seen any hate for Origins, but I don't spend much time on these forums much more anymore. I have seen some, "eh not for me's'" and very few "I resent Origins because we don't get classics", but I haven't seen any outright hate. I do see some Origins defenders calling people crybabies and chidish or selfish already. Come on, if one or a few people hate Origins call them out but don't start labeling entire groups as haters. We are getting too old as a fanbase for dumb stuff like this.
    Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

I don't hate this line but I think that Mattel can push or change little details to get better results, like by example on the prototype cards: IMO the both shown are a little bit visually poor, it is like if the visual result of the packaging was not too important.
    The exploding rock background and the Motu logo are very fine and name of the figure is correctly placed (good font, size etc) as the vintage cards but all around it could be a little bit better by adding or changing elements.
    I am not a big fan of the Super7 Filmation's cards (vintage stylized toyline) for the same reason, by example the large yellow flash is (IMO) just horrible and Mattel is now repeating the same thing.
    By the past this large yellow flash was used for specific things concerning "only" some characters, like for the rings offered with Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw, the magic trick offered with Orko or again the Extra Weapons of Man-E-Faces (limited edition) Battle Armors etc, Mattel back to 80' was not using the yellow flash for all figures, what are doing S7 and Mattel today with a detail like this one (IMO again) does not make sense.
    An artwork of the character as Mattel did on the last vintage front cards was just a perfect choice and that enriched greatly the card visually (Rio Blast, Scare Glow, Twistoid etc etc), as for the last "NEW" logo used on them.

I have no idea if I am alone to think that but I photoshopped something close to what I would have liked to see about packaging:

A second version:

Also I really think that the boot's of Skeletor would be better redesigned because the current design choice is really affecting the figure and will affect other characters like Scare Glow, Stinkor etc

Last edited by TOKYONEVER; August 18, 2019 at 01:45am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I don't hate Origins but because of Origins there's some good and some bad.

The good:

They come with brand new mini-comics! To me the mini-comics are an important part of MOTU and I was sad that alternate heads won the vote for MOTUC, though fortunately we did end up getting some mini-comics in the end.

They're in the same scale as our old toys, so they can all interact together until Origins pumps out all the updated beasts, playsets and vehicles.

They'll be affordable and a good substitute for any older expensive figures. Here's hoping we get a Tytus and Megator early on in their correct scale.

The WWE cross-over line will at least offer us something new alongside all of our old familiar friends.

The kind of good:

The cheaper price point means I'll have more money to spend on all the Classics lines that Super7 is going to be churning out in 2020.

The bad:

Buying the same characters for the umpteenth time does get somewhat tiresome.

MOTUC is on a hiatus until Origins folds and we may never get to finish New Adventures, which is an incredible shame. As well as probably never receive a slew of brand new characters.
    i feel sort of the same way but i never had the any MOTUC figures. ( though i might get the 87 movie figures.)

Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    I haven't seen any hate for Origins, but I don't spend much time on these forums much more anymore. I have seen some, "eh not for me's'" and very few "I resent Origins because we don't get classics", but I haven't seen any outright hate. I do see some Origins defenders calling people crybabies and chidish or selfish already. Come on, if one or a few people hate Origins call them out but don't start labeling entire groups as haters. We are getting too old as a fanbase for dumb stuff like this.

I appreciate this comment, there is a such thing as infectious negativity, but playing devils advocate there is a such thing as being tooooo ardent a cheerleader and being the "positivity police" and of the mindset "everything is awesome"... no in fact everything is NOT awesome, I don't want to go off on certain companies or certain products as to not be insulting directly to the creators
    but some collectibles being churned out look basically like junk. In other words you can't package a turd, slap Masters of The Universe on it, say, "Hey but it's only 15 dollars" or "The turd has multiple points of articulation" just if people don't like something based on what the product actually is, rather than what all the supporters "THINK" is ulterior motives for hating something. I can see the silver lining, it establishes the IP and keeps it relevant in everyone's mind and I think that's great. The end result? Not so much, but ok.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Again, I have been done with mattel for years. I never liked their marketing strategies. Im greatful for all the great motu items we got through the years, specially Club Grayskull, but Im done with them. Everytime I can, super 7 will always be the company that I sponsor and support.

Classics has almost 300 figures...
    Isn't that enough for some people? Enjoy what you have.

I'm thrilled to be getting a new line closer to the toys I grew up with...and to see MOTU at retail again. Vintage style figures in vintage style packaging...new mini-comics...this is a GLORIOUS announcement for MOTU fans, and we should all be rejoicing.

I belong to other toy groups outside of this community, and I can tell you firsthand the excitement for Origins is extremely high. I own a lot of MOTU figures...vintage, 200X, classics, ReAction, and I picked up the Origins SDCC 2-Pack. IMO...it is the best He-Man figure ever made.
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

I guess I'm annoyed on a personal level because I was so close to getting what I considered a 'complete' collection - I really, really wanted Hunga and the Twiggets (who I now fear will never see the light of day).

Origins doesn't appeal to me because I don't collect He-Man characters - I'm She-Ra through and through. And until this new Netflix series started, she always came second to him. I imagine we'll see her in the origins line at some stage as she's a huge character- but it'll take years before we get a Catra, Glimmer or even Bow I expect and I'm not prepared to wait that long.

If Classics/CG are done, I'm out. I'm not a toy collector like many people here. I collect the She-Ra characters because of how much I love the She-Ra show. (There are also a handful of Filmation variants I really could've done with too - namely Leech, but hey ho).
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Dylamug - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets - King Ahgo - Filmation Grizzlor, Mantenna, Leech, Modulok and Multi-Bot

Heroic Warrior
    It's not hate for Origins, it's the blocking of the other lines that grates. I quite like the look of Origins from the photos I've seen. (By comparison, they're considerably better than the weird and weedy 200X line.)

The problem is cancelling (for that's what it really means) a limited edition line for collectors. Those 1000 to 3000 collectors (estimated), buying their toys online, are never going to jeopardise a mass market product.

And don't be fooled into thinking we'll just have to wait for two or three years for Origins to wrap up. Mattel will do this again with a movie line (assuming it gets released, which I'm still not convinced about).

My prediction is that Mattel will generate retail interest with Origins and then persuade people to buy those figures again in movie format. The Classics hiatus could well be indefinite.

It's going to need a lot of pushback from Classics fans to convince Mattel that they don't need to sacrifice existing lines to promote the new one.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    I do think there is no hate, Origins is a good line but people are really disapointed Classics comes to an end.

Now we have incomplete lines especially CG but also tons of fantastic obscure but great characters for CC.

That leaves us a bitter taste in our mouth since we are purchasing thousands of dollars a line we all hope that could keep going for years.

That is like penalize faithfulness and all people who kept the Motu brand alive, Super7 and collectors.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

I guess I don’t understand some of these posts. If I don’t like origins, don’t want to collect them, and I’m upset that classics is on hiatus because of a line I won’t collect.......... I am a hater? I am toxic?

I will add, that I am in the classics forum. So I hope that a new Mattel forum will show up for those that want to talk origins.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    I don't see why they can't keep running Classics, at least the last 11 for New adventures, and maybe a couple more movie figures before they end the line. Oh well. Classics had a great run.
    Thats a good idea. Instead of shutting Classics down altogether say S7 can only do NA characters so theres no crossover with the Origins line.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Despite being a child of the 80s, and despite having owned the majority of MOTU figures during my childhood, I have zero nostalgia for the artistic style of those original figures. I never liked the faces or the articulation, and I always though they could have been done better.

When MOTUC came out, it was everything that 5 year old me had ever wanted. Origins looks like a step backwards to me. Although the articulation seems to be on par with MOTUC, those faces are killing me. Plus, I have a complete collection of MOTUC. There has not been one single Origins reveal that has given me any pause to think that it looks better than anything I have purchased in the last decade.

I donít hate the line. I donít wish for it to perform poorly. I just donít need it in my life.
    Aaronís Top 10 (In Order):
    Starburst She-Ra, Hunga the Harpy, The Twiggets, Stridor, Catraís Cat Form, Kay-La, Skeleteen, Mini Comics Garn, Spinwit, FILMation King Miro

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    I guess I don’t understand some of these posts. If I don’t like origins, don’t want to collect them, and I’m upset that classics is on hiatus because of a line I won’t collect.......... I am a hater? I am toxic?

I will add, that I am in the classics forum. So I hope that a new Mattel forum will show up for those that want to talk origins.
    Heheheh, that's the truth, this is Classics forum
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    I do think there is no hate, Origins is a good line but people are really disapointed Classics comes to an end.

Now we have incomplete lines especially CG but also tons of fantastic obscure but great characters for CC.

That leaves us a bitter taste in our mouth since we are purchasing thousands of dollars a line we all hope that could keep going for years.

That is like penalize faithfulness and all people who kept the Motu brand alive, Super7 and collectors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Despite being a child of the 80s, and despite having owned the majority of MOTU figures during my childhood, I have zero nostalgia for the artistic style of those original figures. I never liked the faces or the articulation, and I always though they could have been done better.

When MOTUC came out, it was everything that 5 year old me had ever wanted. Origins looks like a step backwards to me. Although the articulation seems to be on par with MOTUC, those faces are killing me. Plus, I have a complete collection of MOTUC. There has not been one single Origins reveal that has given me any pause to think that it looks better than anything I have purchased in the last decade.

I don’t hate the line. I don’t wish for it to perform poorly. I just don’t need it in my life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post

Agree with almost everything you guys have said.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah I don't HATE Origins…I dislike the fact that…

Mattel ended other lines that they weren't even producing anymore even though Origins isn't even dropping for another year.
    This is just more of their mismanagement of the line. They won't put any money into promoting it. They'll rely on the movie and the line will flop after 2 years.

But also…

The articulation ruins the sculpt IMO. The knees look like they're melting.

I don't understand why the wide release of He-Man isn't getting his vintage head while everyone else seemingly is.

I don't like the slightly undersized legs. They were fine back in the 80s when I was a child. I have the originals…all that Origins is bringing is bad articulation.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah the sooner Origins flop the better so S7 can get back to being allowed to make filmation figures

IMO Mattel don’t want the line then S7 saves it. S7 is just getting momentum established and Mattel decides to make S7 press pause because Mattel now wants to put out a crappy line of figures. Fine but why can’t there be room For all sorts of Motu product.

Let origins be put out by Mattel. Let S7 put out Classics and Club Grayskull

As it is now let Origins perform As poorly as the JJ abrams playmate trek stuff did do Mattel can go back to not caring about Motu and let other licensees resume Motu production on their products
    Last edited by degra; August 18, 2019 at 08:35am.

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, entrapta , adora, moss man, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Heroic Warrior
    I don’t particularly hate the Origins line.

What I do hate (how short collective memory is!) is that we were led to believe that this line would be inspired by the old minicomics, which wasn’t true as it turned out. We were also led to believe that these figures would feature multiple heads and hands, which also turned out to be untrue.

Instead, what we got was toys that looked soemwhat like the old figures, but with *some*articulation - except that the old figures looked better. Even the most ardent cheerleader of the new line has to admit that the vintage He Man sculpt looked better than this new version. Same goes for Skeletor, who looks ridiculous with that open mouth.

Now we have Battle Cat, with some articulation just for the sake of some articulation. Its knees move, which is useless for posing if the ankles don’t. Not much an improvement on the original if you ask me.

They’re for kids? Fine by me, and good luck with that. But as I said elsewhere, if anyone in here thinks kids are gonna be all over these then you’re as clueless as the suits who run Mattel. As for adult collectors, enjoy them if they scratch your collecting or nostalgic itch, but I personally would rather have had MOTUC all over again but at retail. It would have given people who missed out on the first runs to get them for cheap, and children would still have enjoyed them - a superior product - as much as they would enjoy these.

And for those people who already have a complete MOTUC colllection, I hear you ask? Well ... these are for kids and not adult collectors, aren’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Yeah the sooner Origins flop the better so S7 can get back to being allowed to make filmation figures

IMO Mattel don’t want the line then S7 saves it. S7 is just getting momentum established and Mattel decides to make S7 press pause because Mattel now wants to put out a crappy line of figures. Fine but why can’t there be room For all sorts of Motu product.

Let origins be put out by Mattel. Let S7 put out Classics and Club Grayskull

As it is now let Origins perform As poorly as the JJ abrams playmate trek stuff did do Mattel can go back to not caring about Motu and let other licensees resume Motu production on their products
    Do you own the Origins figures? Because I do, and they are FAR from "crappy" In fact, the articulation is just as good as Classics, and better hidden. No huge, ugly pins in the knees and elbows. Out of vintage, 200X, Classics, and ReAction it's the best He-Man figure ever.

Classics has nearly 300 figures. I'm not sure what more you could possibly want. It surpassed even the vintage line nearly five times over, and lasted for eleven years. It's time for something new. If the brand doesn't grow it will die.

Wishing failure on something you don't like is so petty and immature...not that it matters. Origins will NOT fail. There are FAR more MOTU fans than what make up this community. Many other toy collectors are excited about Origins, and it's clear Mattel has put a lot of time, money and effort into them. It'll do just fine.
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

Personally I am really excited about the Origins line and think it's great MOTU will be available at retail again at affordable prices instead of having to deal with buying them online and from scalpers.
    Classics was good but they weren't bringing in any new fans and the majority of iconic characters are to expensive to get for anyone wanting them.
    A MOTU line that is really articulated and vehicles and playsets available at retail will be awesome.
    Also they can swap parts to customise figures and they will also be able to be used with the WWE figures.

I'm positively on board for Origins.
    The only "hate" I have isn't so much the fact that Mattel has pulled the plug on Classics, but moreso the fact that Mattel padded out the line when they were in charge of it with too many "filler" figures. My negative feelings are more related to what I consider "wasted slots" in the Classics line. Now that it's ended, I have holes in my collection (Hunga The Harpy, Negator, Malektha, King Miro, Lady Slither, etc), and a small pile of figures I got as part of the sub model that I didn't really want produced in the first place (Ceratus, Cy-Chop, Spector, Battleground Evil-Lyn, to name a few).

What I'm loving about Origins is the ability to walk into a store and pick and choose, rather than the "all in or nothing!" model from the MattyCollector days. I also love the idea of once again being able to pick through the pegs to find the figure with the best paint apps, card condition, etc. And the retail store price point can't be beat these days.
    I probably won't hardcore buy every single thing Mattel puts out for this line, but there's quite a bit that they've already shown where I'm like "oh yes- I WANT THAT!"
    I also love that these can mingle with either vintage toys or Classics playsets. I'm already excited to display the evil warriors with the Super7 Snake Mountain!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post

And for those people who already have a complete MOTUC colllection, I hear you ask? Well ... these are for kids and not adult collectors, aren’t they?
    But it says adult collector right on the front of the package

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I'm positively on board for Origins.
    The only "hate" I have isn't so much the fact that Mattel has pulled the plug on Classics, but moreso the fact that Mattel padded out the line when they were in charge of it with too many "filler" figures. My negative feelings are more related to what I consider "wasted slots" in the Classics line. Now that it's ended, I have holes in my collection (Hunga The Harpy, Negator, Malektha, King Miro, Lady Slither, etc), and a small pile of figures I got as part of the sub model that I didn't really want produced in the first place (Ceratus, Cy-Chop, Spector, Battleground Evil-Lyn, to name a few).

What I'm loving about Origins is the ability to walk into a store and pick and choose, rather than the "all in or nothing!" model from the MattyCollector days. I also love the idea of once again being able to pick through the pegs to find the figure with the best paint apps, card condition, etc. And the retail store price point can't be beat these days.
    I probably won't hardcore buy every single thing Mattel puts out for this line, but there's quite a bit that they've already shown where I'm like "oh yes- I WANT THAT!"
    I also love that these can mingle with either vintage toys or Classics playsets. I'm already excited to display the evil warriors with the Super7 Snake Mountain!
    If it’s anything like Star Wars, you’ll be lucky to find anything on the pegs, and when you do, it will be those peg-warmers that no one wants to buy.

It will all depend on distribution and how the cases are packed, at the end of the day.