Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins: Why the Hate?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    sure they might not as be great as Classics but i kind of like them. sort of a mix between old and new. so why the hate?
    Hate is a strong word. After 11 years of Classics these Origins feel sort of like a step back. I hope the new line brings some new blood into the brand though. They seem to be a good line for the younger generation though. I won’t be collecting these myself but wish the Origins all the best. The future of MotU depends on it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Hate is a strong word. After 11 years of Classics these Origins feel sort of like a step back. I hope the new line brings some new blood into the brand though. They seem to be a good line for the younger generation though. I won’t be collecting these myself but wish the Origins all the best. The future of MotU depends on it.
    And that is exactly the point that some jaded Classics fan seem to be missing. Classics is done - it's been 11 years, what more can you realistically ask for. Club Grayskull was/is a clever way of keeping the format going for a little bit longer. But at this point the classics figures that remain to be released are so utterly obscure that they can really only appeal to a very small part of the MOTU fan base. It just doesn't make much sense from a business point of view and Mattel said as much a little while ago. For Mattel it makes perfect sense to take a step back, go back to the beginning and try to get a new generation hooked on the franchise. And if the figures appeal to some of the adult collectors, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasastard View Post
    And that is exactly the point that some jaded Classics fan seem to be missing. Classics is done - it's been 11 years, what more can you realistically ask for. Club Grayskull was/is a clever way of keeping the format going for a little bit longer. But at this point the classics figures that remain to be released are so utterly obscure that they can really only appeal to a very small part of the MOTU fan base. It just doesn't make much sense from a business point of view and Mattel said as much a little while ago. For Mattel it makes perfect sense to take a step back, go back to the beginning and try to get a new generation hooked on the franchise. And if the figures appeal to some of the adult collectors, even better.
    I was actually just going to post something extremely similar to this. We've been picking at straws with Classics. As soon as fans start asking for a figure of some guest villager they've seen in a cartoon episode, it's time to hang it up. We've got a lot of awesome Classics figures out there. Unfortunately, the people selling them have gone out of their minds with the prices they're asking but they're out there nonetheless. Mattel bringing MOTU back in stores is an awesome idea. Adults like us will probably still be the ones collecting them because kids don't seem to be interested in action figures anymore but they'll still be there for them as well.

I think I will be buying most of the Origins figures, but then give them away to my little nephews and niece. It's awesome to be able to go in a store and buy a MotU toy to give to the kids in my family.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I think I will be buying most of the Origins figures, but then give them away to my little nephews and niece. It's awesome to be able to go in a store and buy a MotU toy to give to the kids in my family.
    Yes, this is the real value of Origins. If my son starts asking for MOTU figures, most likely I will go to amazon to get one of those MOTUO.

However, I'm tempted to start a thread called "Classics: Why the Hate?". Honestly I can't understand why some people are upset with fans wanting more Classics. I don't think we're reached that point yet where we are just left with villagers or background characters. SOH era has many main characters available, and rest of NA is full of main characters, 200X and Filmation also have many core characters not yet done. If Classics could continue, wht that should be distrubing for fans not interested in that line? I don't hate Origins, I just disagree with Mattel decission to not let Classics continue. Those hsould be two separate things.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    Yes, this is the real value of Origins. If my son starts asking for MOTU figures, most likely I will go to amazon to get one of those MOTUO.

However, I'm tempted to start a thread called "Classics: Why the Hate?". Honestly I can't understand why some people are upset with fans wanting more Classics. I don't think we're reached that point yet where we are just left with villagers or background characters. SOH era has many main characters available, and rest of NA is full of main characters, 200X and Filmation also have many core characters not yet done. If Classics could continue, wht that should be distrubing for fans not interested in that line? I don't hate Origins, I just disagree with Mattel decission to not let Classics continue. Those hsould be two separate things.
    I’m sure there are people who didn’t take to the classics aesthetic but I haven’t seen anyone wishing for the line to fail over Origins. I have seen the opposite several times, though.

As someone no longer collecting Classics and who will collect Origins, I hope the Classics faucet will be turned back on eventually. It's a great line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    As someone no longer collecting Classics and who will collect Origins, I hope the Classics faucet will be turned back on eventually. It's a great line.
    This is exactly how I feel. I'm really excited about $15 MOTU at retail ( if it actually works out ). I have a pretty sparse collection of Classics because they were not cheap, but I never wanted them to stop. I like Penny Dreadful's Kickstarter idea of throwing a character's name out there, and if there are enough people interested, then it gets made.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; September 6, 2019 at 03:41pm.
    Odd Man Out

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    I'm tempted to start a thread called "Classics: Why the Hate?". Honestly I can't understand why some people are upset with fans wanting more Classics. I don't think we're reached that point yet where we are just left with villagers or background characters. SOH era has many main characters available, and rest of NA is full of main characters, 200X and Filmation also have many core characters not yet done. If Classics could continue, wht that should be distrubing for fans not interested in that line? I don't hate Origins, I just disagree with Mattel decission to not let Classics continue. Those hsould be two separate things.
    Well said mate !
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

It was amazing to see how deep the Classics line dug into the character roster. The line was wonderfully obscure at times! A part of me though is just so happy we can be excited again for those core characters, the ones we found under the Christmas tree, that made us fall in love with Masters of the Universe. I’m hopeful that Classics will return some day to a much larger MOTU/POP fan base.

Heroic Warrior

Completely agree.

I'm over this "it's been a good run" and "Classics is over! Deal with it!" chatter. All of this being thrown in our collective faces in the Classics forum, no less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    This is exactly how I feel. I'm really excited about $15 MOTU at retail ( if it actually works out ). I have a pretty sparse collection of Classics because they were not cheap, but I never wanted them to stop. I like Penny Dreadful's Kickstarter idea of throwing a character's name out there, and if there are enough people interested, then it gets made.
    Good man! And this is an example of how we can all get along while liking different things!
    Last edited by abaddon; September 6, 2019 at 08:09pm.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasastard View Post
    I understand that some self absorbed adult collectors can lose sight of the fact that the brand needs to attract future fans of a younger age. Origins seems to do just that. It would be a great line for adult fans to collect for or with their children. That’s a comforting thought for the future of Masters. And I admit that the Origins package for Battle Cat does tug on the old nostalgic heart strings. But for me, I was there in 1982 and I’ve done that. They were great for me when I was 7. I hope these Origins are great some thousands more who are 7 right now. And though I won’t be collecting these, I am excited at the thought of isles in a department store bulked out for Masters toys. But I don’t think Origins and Classics need be at an ultimatum to each other. They seem to attract quite a different collector.

You’re right that Classics did dive deep. We can hardly be disappointed by the beautiful menagerie on our Classics shelves, but I think Mattel should let the fan base decide when it ends. We pushed through so many years of subs, Grayskull, Snake Mountain, etc. And Snake Mountain will be one heck of an exclamation point to punctuate this line. There are still more interesting heroes and villains from the Filmation, MYP, NA animated shows and the comics to still reap profits. The current depth or age of the line doesn’t dictate it’s potential nor necessarily it’s end. I’d wager that Filmation’s Dragoon, Mattel’s Vintage Spydor, MYP’s King Miro and Captain Randor , or NA Sagitar would still fill enough orders to make Classics a profitable line. Personally I’d love to have the rest of the MYP King Grayskull’s crew. Those warriors are awesome.

I say let the fan base decide Classic’s fate. Keep the line going as the old school sub model. If the sub fails then so be it. There is still enough gold to mine in this franchise. So much more. And I’d like to see just how far this fan base can keep this line going.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; September 6, 2019 at 08:32pm.

Widget
    to the people that are excised for this, i am happy for your guys to have a new line to start from the start but i wanted to know whats the appeal of this over MOTUC for your guys?

the first time i held the MOTUC He-man and felt how chunky it was made me realize that this is how imagined my old toy was in my head

Quote Originally Posted by rs_jr View Post
    to the people that are excised for this, i am happy for your guys to have a new line to start from the start but i wanted to know whats the appeal of this over MOTUC for your guys?

the first time i held the MOTUC He-man and felt how chunky it was made me realize that this is how imagined my old toy was in my head
    I proper retail toyline designed to be played with is a lot more appealing than figures designed to do nothing more than look good on a shelf. Of all the Classics figures I have owned none of them have had that fun factor messing about moving them. And those stupid accessories to mimic the action feature gimmicks of the vintage toys were terrible...Extendar, Spikor and Rio-Blast especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I proper retail toyline designed to be played with is a lot more appealing than figures designed to do nothing more than look good on a shelf. Of all the Classics figures I have owned none of them have had that fun factor messing about moving them. And those stupid accessories to mimic the action feature gimmicks of the vintage toys were terrible...Extendar, Spikor and Rio-Blast especially.
    The catch word there is "appealing".
    But isn't it subjective?
    Appealing too whom(?) is just another debatable thing that goes back and forth.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    The catch word there is "appealing".
    But isn't it subjective?
    Appealing too whom(?) is just another debatable thing that goes back and forth.

Well...''APPEALING'' to those that like Origins. That is what rs-jr asked. What the appeal is for some people of Origins over MOTUC.
    It's fairly obvious and easy to understand...

I forgot to mention how nice it will be to be able to get a lot of the main characters and those we want rather than being lumbered into buying lots of unwanted characters through subscriptions/pre-orders.

Quote Originally Posted by rs_jr View Post

I am like minded. Classics is the end all be all for me. I suspect for some the appeal may be the nostalgia that they crave between the figures and packaging, for others a chance to start from day 1 with a collection, and for those with tight budgets and/or children who are less demanding of the finished figure these will be appealing. Again not for me but I hope they do well and I hope that kids get into MotU through them.

Well...''APPEALING'' to those that like Origins. That is what rs-jr asked. What the appeal is for some people of Origins over MOTUC.

I forgot to mention how nice it will be to be able to get a lot of the main characters and those we want rather than being lumbered into buying lots of unwanted characters through subscriptions/pre-orders.
    Appealing to those already like Origins? Sorry for not understanding but your redundant, when something is liked it is already appealing to them.

I for one is MOTUC centered collector but there is no doubt vintage will be cherished always and thIs Origins line is the future of that vintage line. No hate here for Origins and wish it the best and success and may it attract the young people to keep it motu alive for another decades. The SDCC is stunning with its packaging and the con reveals are promising.

By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Appealing to those already like Origins? Sorry for not understanding but your redundant, when something is liked it is already appealing to them.

I for one is MOTUC centered collector but there is no doubt vintage will be cherished always and thIs Origins line is the future of that vintage line. No hate here for Origins and wish it the best and success and may it attract the young people to keep it motu alive for another decades. The SDCC is stunning with its packaging and the con reveals are promising.

??????
    The question is asking those thart like Origins what the appeal of Origins is over MOTUC.
    If you don't understand that then perhaps you shouldn't make redundant posts.

When I read this thread and all I can do is roll my eyes and think #FirstWorldProblems

Please do not throw anything at me, but I honestly do not like the look of MOTUC He-Man. Like He-Man himself. I am also not a fan of how manly they made some of the POP figures. But I never like screeched or screamed about it or even said anything until today because I was still excited to see the characters even if they were less appealing to me than the originals.
    Last edited by IceyCat; September 7, 2019 at 01:54pm.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I don't really see Origins incorporating too many action features either though, those are costly to implement and the entire point of the line was to be cheap and accessible. And I just find it highly unlikely that Origins will ever last long enough to give us characters like Extendar and Rio Blast, not that Mattel would want to release them even if it did have that kind of staying power.

It would have been easy to make the main characters accessible without going to a new, and in many ways inferior, design of figure. They could just do some new runs of older characters and start selling them at retail, since most customers would never have seen MOTUC toys before it would have appeared to be something new as far as they were concerned. This was largely the motivation behind splitting off the Club Grayskull line too, and if Mattel didn't bother seeing through that to the end, what are the chances that they will with Origins?

For me its that....

1) Rueben said NO MYP representation in origins.

2) I would likely buy lots and lots of Origins for all the kids we buy for for Christmas and such.... but loosing Classics and Club Grayskull makes brand loyalty hurt a little. Especially when there are lots of cool characters left and they do make money off the line. Keep CLASSICS AND CLUB GRAYSKULL ALIVE and I will buy lots of Origins for others while I collect Classics and CG for myself.
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    I don't really see Origins incorporating too many action features either though, those are costly to implement and the entire point of the line was to be cheap and accessible. And I just find it highly unlikely that Origins will ever last long enough to give us characters like Extendar and Rio Blast, not that Mattel would want to release them even if it did have that kind of staying power.

It would have been easy to make the main characters accessible without going to a new, and in many ways inferior, design of figure. They could just do some new runs of older characters and start selling them at retail, since most customers would never have seen MOTUC toys before it would have appeared to be something new as far as they were concerned. This was largely the motivation behind splitting off the Club Grayskull line too, and if Mattel didn't bother seeing through that to the end, what are the chances that they will with Origins?
    Define “the end.”

Heroic Warrior
    That's assuming it's successful. If people ONLY buy the main characters and leave what you're referring to as "unwanted characters" warming the pegs Origins won't last that long. Even at retail, the popular characters subsidize the less popular ones.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    That's assuming it's successful. If people ONLY buy the main characters and leave what you're referring to as "unwanted characters" warming the pegs Origins won't last that long. Even at retail, the popular characters subsidize the less popular ones.
    To a point. With 200x the packouts the Heroic warriors were 10 of 12 He-Man and Evil Warriors were 10 of 12 Skeletor. The other characters were impossible to find and Heman and Skelly warmed the pegs. Then they blamed the failure of the cartoon and product on the fact that kids weren’t buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk