Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins: Why the Hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post
    If it’s anything like Star Wars, you’ll be lucky to find anything on the pegs, and when you do, it will be those peg-warmers that no one wants to buy.

It will all depend on distribution and how the cases are packed, at the end of the day.
    Yup. I think some have forgotten the state of retail. When it comes to toys.....it’s all but dead. I never saw the avengers endgame wave 2 in stores. Now I’m near buffalo and Niagara Falls, with a heavy Canadian influx of shoppers as well. With all that, toy departments are still shrinking. Most of the Walmart’s by me eliminated Star Wars. Half don’t even carry the 80th marvel stuff. Some here think your going to walk in to a store and find 12 feet of motu and fill your shopping cart like your a kid in 1985. That’s not going to happen. Even if the movie is a success, that’s not going to happen. I think that we need to recognize the changing face of retail. Your best bet to get these is amazon or online toy stores.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    The biggest issue with origins is that they don't look modern. I like how they look, but I'm not going to make Mattel the money they want from this line. Articulation is great, but when was the last time you heard a 7 or 8 year old raving about articulation? Its about aesthetic and context. Origins, to anyone that isn't 40 years old, has neither.

I am all for Mattel going back to retail, but I am afraid they are not going to see the numbers they hope for. The whole IP reboot has trainwreck written all over it. From the movie being reset umpteen times to the new toyline that is clearly retro--things look bleak.

Where She-Ra I can see can see no upward limit on where that property is going in its current form. They updated the look, reset the audience and made something for a modern consumer. Its not for me, and thats okay because, again, they won't make much profit on me, but my 7 year old daughter and her friends love it, and am purchasing all the toys and media for her, not me.

I don't hate this new line, I am just depressed that Mattel once again, has missed the mark, and is counting on a bunch of middle aged neckbeards collective memories of Christmas 1984 to save MOTU.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    I don't hate this new line, I am just depressed that Mattel once again, has missed the mark, and is counting on a bunch of middle aged neckbeards collective memories of Christmas 1984 to save MOTU.

Sad but true!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Classics has almost 300 figures...
    Isn't that enough for some people? Enjoy what you have.

I'm thrilled to be getting a new line closer to the toys I grew up with...and to see MOTU at retail again. Vintage style figures in vintage style packaging...new mini-comics...this is a GLORIOUS announcement for MOTU fans, and we should all be rejoicing.

I belong to other toy groups outside of this community, and I can tell you firsthand the excitement for Origins is extremely high. I own a lot of MOTU figures...vintage, 200X, classics, ReAction, and I picked up the Origins SDCC 2-Pack. IMO...it is the best He-Man figure ever made.
    No, it clearly isnít enough for some (most) of us! A lot of us have figures that we really wanted to see in Classics and our collections will never feel complete without them. For some itís NA, for some itís the rest of the Filmation characters, for some the mini comic characters etc.
    1000 characters could be released but unless one of them is Filmation Leech my collection will always have a hole in it.
    A lot of people are more than happy with what we have so far, some only cherry picked their favourites, some were happy when the vintage figures were all recreated, and thatís great for those people, but the rest of us can be disappointed if we wish.

I am also a member of a lot of other toy boards and groups and iím not seeing a huge amount of excitement for Origins anywhere?
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post
    If itís anything like Star Wars, youíll be lucky to find anything on the pegs, and when you do, it will be those peg-warmers that no one wants to buy.

It will all depend on distribution and how the cases are packed, at the end of the day.
    Who in their right mind wastes time even hunting at retail these days. It's far more cost effective to just preorder figures online. You waste far less gas and more importantly, time. Everything from modern collector oriented lines is easily available at most major online retailers. Nothing from the main line of Origins is going to be difficult to aquire.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's resentment.

I don't think it's over the line itself, it appears to be more focused on "they are killing everything else"; or, more specifically: "they are killing off what I like to collect most".

As adults, that's how we work.

Now, Mattel is consolidating the MOTU licensing.

There is an issue of over saturation. More specifically how much money are individuals willing to spend on one license.

While we are on the board/at convention it's easy to loose sight of the broader "toy collecting community".

Mattel is taking a gamble by consolidating; but, I would assume they stand to make more money by being the near sole producer of MOTU toys than licensing fees.

So, they are doing what we have wanted FOR YEARS....INVESTING, directly, into the MOTU line; and, from a business stand point (soley from a profit stand point) it does make sense that MOTU, or the vast majority, dollars gets funnled DIRECTLY into Mattel.

Look at it, a movie, origins, construx, minis.

Will they still license, of course, will it be to the extent it has been, no.

I think the Classics is the ultimate MOTU line.

I think the Origins line is ok. I will not be buying everything that comes out like I did with classics.
    If my kids want some of them that is great. But I will not be buying 2 of each figure to put in my personal collection.

I hope Mattel allows Super7 and/or Power-Con to continue classics in some small way (vehicles or easy release characters with mostly shared parts).
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Yeah the sooner Origins flop the better so S7 can get back to being allowed to make filmation figures
    This is what I have a problem with, right here. Childish, selfish and small-minded. I swear, this is as close to throwing your toys out of the pram as you can get. I have no problem with people being unhappy that Classics is being put on hiatus to accommodate for the Origins line. Its quite a natural human reaction, especially after so many years and commitment. But to wish for it to fail so you may get Classics back? It doesn't work like that. Origins is a re-launch of the MOTU IP (or at least a warm-up before the movie). To see it flop would be horrible for MOTU as a whole. Some (like the post I've just quoted) simply fail to see the bigger picture, and yes, are only thinking about themselves, and not other fans, potential new fans and the IP itself.
    Last edited by Krueger; August 18, 2019 at 11:39am.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    This is what I have a problem with, right here. Childish, selfish and small-minded. I have no problem with people being unhappy that Classics is being put on hiatus to accommodate for the Origins line. But to wish for it to fail so you may get Classics back? It doesn't work like that. Origins is a re-launch of the MOTU IP (or at least a warm-up before the movie). To see it flop would be horrible for MOTU as a whole. Some (like the post I've just quoted) simply fail to see the bigger picture, and yes, are only thinking about themselves, and not other fans, potential new fans and the IP in its entirety.
    Wanting the origins line to fail is a bad point of view to have, yes. But you need to give some fans time to grieve a line they have been with for almost 12 years. We went through a lot to get classics. Meters and sub drives, figures you don’t want to pay for figures you do. Transferring to a new company. Motuc has been the engine that could. Origins does not even com out until fall 2020, over a year away. Some will come around and buy others will just fade away. But give people time. Fans are upset, and angry. We have over a year to move on before this line hits. Maybe even I will jump in. Who knows. But right now I am enjoying the classics I have and mourning the ones I won’t. Let’s see how people feel in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    This is what I have a problem with, right here. Childish, selfish and small-minded. I swear, this is as close to throwing your toys out of the pram as you can get. I have no problem with people being unhappy that Classics is being put on hiatus to accommodate for the Origins line. Its quite a natural human reaction, especially after so many years and commitment. But to wish for it to fail so you may get Classics back? It doesn't work like that. Origins is a re-launch of the MOTU IP (or at least a warm-up before the movie). To see it flop would be horrible for MOTU as a whole. Some (like the post I've just quoted) simply fail to see the bigger picture, and yes, are only thinking about themselves, and not other fans, potential new fans and the IP itself.
    I agree with you 100%.

I was done with masters of the universe stuff, the recent figures just aren't worth the money they cost for me anymore, this line has me excited again though, especially if I can walk into a shop and buy them. I understand why people aren't happy with this line though, hopefully people who are and people who aren't can still enjoy talking about masters of the universe stuff though.

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    I am hopeful that Origins does well, mainly for the life and success of the MOTU property as a whole! I don't have the space or funds to re-start a new collection, and for me personally, Classics will Always be the DEFINITIVE MOTU line, period! So this gives me time to catch up on the missing things in my collection, and possibly try to get some customs of a few characters I feel are still essential, like King Miro lol! And Dare needs a Skeleteen! And of course, getting Snake Mountain once it's actually physically available for purchase!
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    I don't hate this line but I think that Mattel can push or change little details to get better results, like by example on the prototype cards: IMO the both shown are a little bit visually poor, it is like if the visual result of the packaging was not too important.
    The exploding rock background and the Motu logo are very fine and name of the figure is correctly placed (good font, size etc) as the vintage cards but all around it could be a little bit better by adding or changing elements.
    I am not a big fan of the Super7 Filmation's cards (vintage stylized toyline) for the same reason, by example the large yellow flash is (IMO) just horrible and Mattel is now repeating the same thing.
    By the past this large yellow flash was used for specific things concerning "only" some characters, like for the rings offered with Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw, the magic trick offered with Orko or again the Extra Weapons of Man-E-Faces (limited edition) Battle Armors etc, Mattel back to 80' was not using the yellow flash for all figures, what are doing S7 and Mattel today with a detail like this one (IMO again) does not make sense.
    An artwork of the character as Mattel did on the last vintage front cards was just a perfect choice and that enriched greatly the card visually (Rio Blast, Scare Glow, Twistoid etc etc), as for the last "NEW" logo used on them.

I have no idea if I am alone to think that but I photoshopped something close to what I would have liked to see about packaging:

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/autres/pack1.jpg

A second version:

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/autres/pack2.jpg

Also I really think that the boot's of Skeletor would be better redesigned because the current design choice is really affecting the figure and will affect other characters like Scare Glow, Stinkor etc

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/autres/skeletorboots.jpg
    These are all great ideas, I hope they are implemented, especially regarding Skeletor's boots

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Wanting the origins line to fail is a bad point of view to have, yes. But you need to give some fans time to grieve a line they have been with for almost 12 years. We went through a lot to get classics. Meters and sub drives, figures you don’t want to pay for figures you do. Transferring to a new company. Motuc has been the engine that could. Origins does not even com out until fall 2020, over a year away. Some will come around and buy others will just fade away. But give people time. Fans are upset, and angry. We have over a year to move on before this line hits. Maybe even I will jump in. Who knows. But right now I am enjoying the classics I have and mourning the ones I won’t. Let’s see how people feel in a year.
    We need to give Billy-Bob time to grieve. He’s been at the Golden Corral buffet for 12 hours and he’s just not ready for them to close down a week for remodeling.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Classics has nearly 300 figures. I'm not sure what more you could possibly want. It surpassed even the vintage line nearly five times over, and lasted for eleven years. It's time for something new. If the brand doesn't grow it will die.
    Well, that's easy. I reckon most fans could probably come up easily with fifty or more characters they'd like as Classics figures. And we'd all have something different. It's not an exagaration to say we could double the number of figures already released and still not have everything.

You're not wrong to say it's time for something new. I'm all for a mainstream retail MOTU line to bring kids into the fandom. But that can surely exist alongside the collectors' line? Why obliterate one that's not in competition with the other?
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

My two MOTU Origins figures are better than all of my MOTUC figures, and I own nearly all the MOTUC figures so there's no hate here. The only thing I hate is that I have to wait until Fall 2020 to get more figures!

MOTUC has covered all the important characters twice over at this point. The MOTUC bodies and articulation are tired quite honestly.

The only issue here is that Super7 basically tried to blame Origins for the downfall of MOTUC, which isn't true at all. But certainly got everyone's undies in a bunch. Mattel has reclaimed MOTU. End of story.
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I have moved on from vintage and 5 inch scale MOTU. Classics was my main collecting line. The large scale, the extra detail, the fantastic sculpts. No amount of articulation could make me go back to tiny squat nubby figures. I have purchased some of the minis, and some imaginext, but don't care for 5.5 inch figures anymore.

I don't hate origins, I just have no interest in it. I will only support 6 - 7 inch MOTU figures.
    Last edited by sirsniffy; August 18, 2019 at 02:42pm. Reason: used banned word! Sorry!

Heroic Warrior
    Kind of glad s7 is on hold.
    1. Their quality is trash.
    2. They ruined the direction of classics by putting filmation character that belong in classics in filmation.
    3. Their prices are out of this world for the crap you recieve.

As for this line, it's not for me and seems like we are going backwards like today's society has since social media arrived.

Also, the word hater needs to be exempt from this planet and only makes me dislike ice cube more and more everytime I read or hear it.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I don't hate Origins, but I think the reality is we all know the line will flop. No media backing like a cartoon/web series and the further decline of toy retail options, they'll be peg warmers after the first few waves at best. I hope I'm wrong, but we only need to look back at history and the current state of the toy industry.

So the collector lines like Masters of the Universe Classics will have to be put on hold at best, or out to pasture at worst, for a retail line that will assuredly flop. I think that is the frustration of many.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I don't hate Origins, but I think the reality is we all know the line will flop. No media backing like a cartoon/web series and the further decline of toy retail options, they'll be peg warmers after the first few waves at best. I hope I'm wrong, but we only need to look back at history and the current state of the toy industry.

So the collector lines like Masters of the Universe Classics will have to be put on hold at best, or out to pasture at worst, for a retail line that will assuredly flop. I think that is the frustration of many.
    Well news is out of Power-Con that there's a continuation of the original cartoon in the works for Netflix. If that toon is released just around the time that Origins hits, that might motivate kids to ask for some He-Man toys.

Netflix He-Man.jpg
    Last edited by Jean; August 18, 2019 at 05:17pm.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Well news is out of Power-Con that there's a continuation of the original cartoon in the works for Netflix. If that toon is released just around the time that Origins hits, that might motivate kids to ask for some He-Man toys.
    Awesome news. Origins looks great. That Trap-jaw is fantastic.

Edit: Now that I’ve read the description of the series I’ll temper my expectations a bit. I have little interest in a Teela show. Fingers crossed it’s worth watching.
    Last edited by AntiEternia He-Man; August 18, 2019 at 05:53pm.

That indeed would be good news. My son is 5 and watched the cartoons on Netflix. Fortunately I have a motu collection for him to play with. But other kids did not have that luxury. He wants the she-ra toys now from target.....I guess so do I.

But as you can see Netflix would be better than network tv. Kids love Netflix. Time heals all wounds. Give everyone time.

Netflix He-Man.jpg
    Wow. That'll help definitely, especially if it's in the same classic design as Origins. Netflix is a great place to put it on.

Netflix He-Man.jpg
    I am thinking it will look almost like vintage but with better animation AND slightly different faces. I bet those minor changes will match closer to the origins line!
    I am freaking excited!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    I am thinking it will look almost like vintage but with better animation AND slightly different faces. I bet those minor changes will match closer to the origins line!
    I am freaking excited!!
    I just noticed the poster says "A Netflix Original Anime Series", so I'd think it'd look more anime.