Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins: Why the Hate?

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly, I think the origins figures are amazing. Having the SDCC set in hand sold me on them instantly. My daughter (she's 8) also thinks they are awesome and wants to play with them becasue she likes the vintage figures (not Classics). Kids sometimes prefer a simpler design.

Honestly, I heard so much "It needs to be back at Mattel! Why aren't they at retail? Where's the cartoon? Super 7 sucks!" Then as soon as they announce a new retail line and cartoon, everyone screams Super 7 should just continue.

Personally I love it all and wish it was all continuing. But this is a great line, it's well designed, and the marketing they are doing with it is very smart. I hope people take more of a wait and see approach before deciding, because I think this line will be very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I just noticed the poster says "A Netflix Original Anime Series", so I'd think it'd look more anime.
    True.
    That being said...
    Is the He-Man art work new in this pic?
    He looks Castlevania(ish) to me...
    20190818_185809.jpg

Also the sword has not the same design than on the preview Netflix poster, I think Mattel just taken an Emiliano artwork to illustrate the return of the licence, but it is not concerning the design of the New Tv show.

Edit: Okies, just seen the post of Emiliano confirming my words.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; August 18, 2019 at 08:00pm.

Well for starters, the first two figures in the line are tied to a $160+ box set exclusive which wasn’t easy to get even if you went to SDCC.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Way to ruin my conspiracy theory

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    True.
    That being said...
    Is the He-Man art work new in this pic?
    He looks Castlevania(ish) to me...
    20190818_185809.jpg
    He looks alot better than that she-wrong.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    This is from SDCC Preview Night this year.

Visible briefly during booth setup while it was roped off. Mattel took it down as near as I can tell before they let anyone in the booth.

unnamed (2).jpg

I aim to please .

I don't hate it all. In all honesty, it's awakened my interest in MOTU after the Classics burn out I got years ago. I can't wait for the new figures, I just hope there is enough interest in the line to keep it going.

I don't understand though why Mattel won't allow S7 to keep the other lines going till at least Origins start. To me that's just upsetting your likely Origins fan base.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Personally Im glad S7 lost the license, but that aside...Im curious as to what other licenses Mattel will cancel..TLS, the 1/6 line etc.... Im not planning on collecting the Origins but I really appreciate the designs and the nostalgia...and lets face it walking into a Toy Aisle and seeing that Red Card....can you imagine what thats gonna be like!

K

(and..well...lets be honest.... I can say I wont collect all I want, but when Im faced with these figs at retail....all bets are off )
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.

I'll be so happy if the day comes where I walk into Wal-Mart or Target with my 8 year old and 3 year old and buy them He-Man and Battlecat off the shelf.

Heroic Warrior
    What I think why some companies got the axe would be scale. Tls/minis. S7 vintage, motuc/origins . Muscles are safe mondo are safe and reaction are safe. There are nothing in them scales.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    This is from SDCC Preview Night this year.

Visible briefly during booth setup while it was roped off. Mattel took it down as near as I can tell before they let anyone in the booth.

unnamed (2).jpg
    I am wrong or it is exactly the same charadesign than Filmation back to 80?
    Castle Grayskull looks to be exactly the same one, Motu logo is a vintage one and the He-Man pose transforming looks again like a Filmation's sequence...
    On the Netflix preview poster Castle Grayskull looks different than the Filmation's one, I am lost.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; August 18, 2019 at 10:41pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I don't hate it all. In all honesty, it's awakened my interest in MOTU after the Classics burn out I got years ago. I can't wait for the new figures, I just hope there is enough interest in the line to keep it going.
    This brings up my confusion... will Mattel continue to produce the Origins when the MOTU Movie hits and the associated figures are released? Why are they waiting so long before getting them into retail stores?

Are they planning on incorporating the Movie-Style figures into the Origins line - like they did back in 1987 with the vintage line?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    I am wrong or it is exactly the same charadesign than Filmation back to 80?
    Castle Grayskull looks to be exactly the same one, Motu logo is a vintage one and the He-Man pose transforming looks again like a Filmation's sequence...
    On the Netflix preview poster Castle Grayskull looks different than the Filmation's one, I am lost.
    I zoomed way in. It's got the red squares. It's a bit beefier in the arms. I THINK it's the Origins head sculpt which is basically a cleaned up and more angular Filmation look.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This brings up my confusion... will Mattel continue to produce the Origins when the MOTU Movie hits and the associated figures are released? Why are they waiting so long before getting them into retail stores?

Are they planning on incorporating the Movie-Style figures into the Origins line - like they did back in 1987 with the vintage line?
    I suspect they rolled out Origins at SDCC this year because they're rolling out movie figures next year at SDCC.

My expectation in general based on other Mattel lines is that there will probably be a couple of 5.5 movie waves, maybe not 100% movie based, movie Mega Construx, and maybe a couple of MOTUC 2021 movie figures (He-Man and Skeletor, probably no other characters). And minis and so on. They'll want a mix of products on hand for the movie, likely including some nostalgia and cartoon stuff blended in with movie merch.

But realistically, the movie is only going to have 6-10 viable characters for figures and a couple of vehicles so it probably makes sense to drop into a line that, at that point, will have a few waves out and more waves planned after the movie. This isn't like Bayformers where the movie line will have hundreds of characters to draw from the bench for without potentially contradicting sequels so I'd assume they'd make the movie figures part of an ongoing line like MOTUO and toss out MOTUC He-Man and Skeletor as a quick, one off extra to take advantage of movie merch fever.
    Last edited by Cobrala; August 19, 2019 at 01:03am.

I don’t hate this new Mattel’s line. I hate the Mattel behavior about Classics line like many fans have told.
    Anyway I will not collect Origins line. I don’t like these new figures; in my opinion the line born old!
    My last MotU collection has been Classics and I hope there will be new figures yet in the future.
    Follow me and my creations on Facebook:
    search Orsogranito GraniteBear !

Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post
    If it’s anything like Star Wars, you’ll be lucky to find anything on the pegs, and when you do, it will be those peg-warmers that no one wants to buy.

It will all depend on distribution and how the cases are packed, at the end of the day.
    This isn't getting enough attention right here. Some people are living in a fantasy land if they think they're gonna walk in and see an aisle stocked with Origins figures. That's highly unlikely, unless Mattel throws a ton of money at retailers or some other miracle happens.

Most likely they'll have 1-3 pegs, Target or whoever will put out 1 case of figures, your local scalper will clean them out, and that will be that.

Widget
    Remember, the whiners and the ungrateful people are often the loudest voices. If you look back on all we *have* received and will receive in the near future, from MOTU (and many other properties for that matter) while not always perfect, is pretty amazingly cool if you're honest. Not everything is for everybody, and that's okay. If you're patient, you can probably have a really great time with the toy properties you love.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I can understand people's negative reaction to a new line being announced and an old well loved line ending, but honestly, Classics has gone on for such a long time, personally speaking, I'm just grateful for what we got and just want to enjoy my collection.

MOTUO seems the logical thing for now, a fresh line, new sculpts, nostalgic feeling, retail presence. MOTUC is an 11 year old line which has run out of steam, its a very niche line.. With MOTU coming back in the wider public, it needs to come back with a bang. Whether it is going to be successful or not, depends on a lot of things. I think there is a lot to be positive about here.

And from what I've read in many places, S7 can still make MOTU related things in the future, they have not lost the licence. It does make sense for Mattel to kind of gain control of their property for now. We could see MOTUC back, maybe even during the movie release year - didn't Marvel Legends go on hiatus for a while then came back with a bang? It could happen here folks.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I suspect they rolled out Origins at SDCC this year because they're rolling out movie figures next year at SDCC.

My expectation in general based on other Mattel lines is that there will probably be a couple of 5.5 movie waves, maybe not 100% movie based, movie Mega Construx, and maybe a couple of MOTUC 2021 movie figures (He-Man and Skeletor, probably no other characters). And minis and so on. They'll want a mix of products on hand for the movie, likely including some nostalgia and cartoon stuff blended in with movie merch.

But realistically, the movie is only going to have 6-10 viable characters for figures and a couple of vehicles so it probably makes sense to drop into a line that, at that point, will have a few waves out and more waves planned after the movie. This isn't like Bayformers where the movie line will have hundreds of characters to draw from the bench for without potentially contradicting sequels so I'd assume they'd make the movie figures part of an ongoing line like MOTUO and toss out MOTUC He-Man and Skeletor as a quick, one off extra to take advantage of movie merch fever.
    NOPE! At the panel they said THERE IS NO MOTU MOVIE TOY PRODUCT and that Origins is the "Movie toys" and that this was not something they were going to abandon in a year. They are all in on Origins.

I suspect this is partially because a MOTU movie could still fall through at any point and Mattel wants to get He-Man back into the marketplace in a big way with or without a movie. But Origins is NOT a stopgap before the Movie. They are not doing Movie figures. Which is a good call IMO. Movie figures is exactly what killed GI Joe 25th.
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    NOPE! At the panel they said THERE IS NO MOTU MOVIE TOY PRODUCT and that Origins is the "Movie toys" and that this was not something they were going to abandon in a year. They are all in on Origins.

I suspect this is partially because a MOTU movie could still fall through at any point and Mattel wants to get He-Man back into the marketplace in a big way with or without a movie. But Origins is NOT a stopgap before the Movie. They are not doing Movie figures. Which is a good call IMO. Movie figures is exactly what killed GI Joe 25th.
    Wait, WHAT? Maybe they meant there’s no movie toys... yet? I’ve never heard of any major toy license having a major movie done and NOT doing toys? If that movie is a hit, kids aren’t going to be asking for figures that look like something Grampa owned in the 80s—they’re going to want toys that look
    like they’re from the movie. This makes absolutely zero sense.

Umm, I'm pretty sure Mattel will be doing figures based on the movie. Be very odd if they didn't. The film isn’t scheduled to come out till March 2021, so I'm guessing any movie toys will release round that time. I'm sure they meant there aren't any movie toys as of now.

I would assume the movie design will be on the same bucks as sold part of the Origins line so they can be used an interact with Origins and the WWE figures.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I’m fine with taking a break from Classics, but I think the Origins are (in a design sense) a HUGE step backward.

Are they “Reactions”? No. But just taking the 1982 buck and adding a little articulation is, to me, really lazy.

No skin off my nose, however. That’s money that I don’t have to spend.

Between this and the Netflix show looking like it’s going to be Rey 2.0 (from the series synopsis casting Teela as the main character...that would be like Bow being front and center in a She-Ra show), I’m fine with taking a break from MOTU purchases for a bit.

Makes my Unicron decision even MORE justified (IF it goes through).
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz