Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark Horse - Character Guide & World Compendium SUPPLEMENTAL Guide

2002/DC He-Man Video guy

Dark Horse - Character Guide & World Compendium SUPPLEMENTAL Guide

Danielle Gelehrter aka Penny Dreadful mentioned another book that was announced at Power-Con 2019.

Character Guide & World Compendium SUPPLEMENTAL Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful Facebook page
    In addition to the awesome news of my friends @Pixel Dan and Val Staples’ Dark Horse book ‘Toys of He-Man & the Masters of the Universe’, I’m happy to report that Dan also announced a little additional book that a lot of people worked very hard on too, and that I was project lead on - it’s the Dark Horse ‘Character Guide & World Compendium SUPPLEMENTAL Guide’ with a ton of material we couldn’t get into the last book, plus new stuff that was created after the last book’s release in 2017.
    This is a separate companion volume.

It’ll be bundled with the Toy Guide and available as a special bonus book available exclusively via the Power-Con website. Coming summer 2020. More details soon.
    Couple of the folk who wrote on the 2017 Character Guide helped make this a reality as well, from SirReilly, gbabok, myself, Aidan, Danielle and others. Plus some fresh faces.

Last edited by Jukka; September 6, 2019 at 03:33pm.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    I also worked on this book, covering the Mini World She-Ra books published in the UK in the mid-80s, and some material from the UK London Editions comics that was omitted from the first volume.

There's some amazing stuff in this book, I can assure everyone!
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

I am so book happy right now. :-)

Seriously, aside from the MOTUC figures, the Dark Horse volumes are my favorite thing to collect for the MOTU property. So excited to hear these new announcements!
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Wow this is excellent news!
    But I'm a little unclear by the statement. So is it bundled with the Toy Guide as a separate book, if so what is different about the Power-Con website version? or is it bundled in the back of the same book as the Toy Guide and only available as a separate book via the Power-Con website?
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    But I'm a little unclear by the statement. So is it bundled with the Toy Guide as a separate book, if so what is different about the Power-Con website version? or is it bundled in the back of the same book as the Toy Guide and only available as a separate book via the Power-Con website?
    Yeah, I wondered that. Clarification please.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    stay tuned. As Danielle said, more details will follow...

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    The Supplemental guide will be a separate book - a companion volume to the large Character Guide from 2017.
    Also, it isn't part of the Toy Guide. It is its own unique book and, as Dan announced at the panel, will be available via the Power-Con website in a bundle with the Toy Guide (as in, you'll be getting two books). I'm not at liberty right now to discuss the particulars. That information will be forthcoming. Hope this helps clarify a little.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    The Supplemental guide will be a separate book - a companion volume to the large Character Guide from 2017.
    Also, it isn't part of the Toy Guide. It is its own unique book and, as Dan announced at the panel, will be available via the Power-Con website in a bundle with the Toy Guide (as in, you'll be getting two books). I'm not at liberty right now to discuss the particulars. That information will be forthcoming. Hope this helps clarify a little.
    Not really. The main question is: will this book be available through normal bookstores or will it be a Power-Con exclusive?

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Melfis View Post
    Not really. The main question is: will this book be available through normal bookstores or will it be a Power-Con exclusive?
    The specifics on availability and how/where to get it will be announced at a later date.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Snake Men Enthusiast QueenQuetzale's Avatar
    As a bundle with the Toy Guide? Oh heck yes, 100% buying.
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

Filmation Most Loved: Hordak, Catra, Sorceress
    NA Most Loved: Crita, Hoove
    MYP Most Loved: Skeletor, Orko, Snake Men
    MOTUC Most Wanted: MYP Skeletor, MYP Kobra Khan, Enchantress

Heroic Warrior
    The specifics on availability and how/where to get it will be announced at a later date.
    Hi Danielle, I just wanted to say the amount of work you, Val, Dan, and others are putting into all of these Dark Horse books is just amazing and very much appreciated. I have always wanted to have literary collections about He-Man and She-Ra and with all these Dark Horse books, DC Comic books, and the Golden Books, this is a great time to be a literary fan of MOTU and POP!

Thanks for the clarification Penny.
    So I read that as it's a separate book but only available if you buy it bundled with the Toy Guide from the Power-Con website like the exclusive covers they've done in the past.
    Which unfortunately means international postage on two big books is going to be a killer and customs fee's on top of that, where as the previous DH books I'd been able to get from amazon.co.uk to avoid this.
    Sorry don't mean to take any wind out the sails of this announcement, I'm still really glad to be getting this book.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Heroic Warrior
    Any chance the original character guide may get rereleased?

Heroic Warrior
    Which unfortunately means international postage on two big books is going to be a killer and customs fee's on top of that, where as the previous DH books I'd been able to get from amazon.co.uk to avoid this.
    Books are exempt from VAT charges when imported to the UK. Of course, it does rely on the label saying 'book' and not something else. Shipping will be costly though.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by QueenQuetzale View Post
    As a bundle with the Toy Guide? Oh heck yes, 100% buying.
    Yup, give me link, will purchase!
    I am the Green Goddess!
    https://amzn.to/2N420aD

Quote Originally Posted by lightsyder View Post
    Any chance the original character guide may get rereleased?
    I just ordered one this week from Instocktrades.com It has shipped and is on its way!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcope View Post
    I just ordered one this week from Instocktrades.com It has shipped and is on its way!
    How does it feel to be a hero? Lol

Book is ordered! Thanks for the tip!

I hope Vypor and Stretch-Nek are included so that they’ll be official characters.
    Danielsan52

HELP! The Devil's in my Car!!
    The B-52's

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I hope Vypor and Stretch-Nek are included so that they’ll be official characters.
    What exactly do you mean?

Because as with previous book, the limitations were that characters/objects need to have been given a name and play a significant enough role in the material they appear in (book, magazine, cartoon, etc).

Hence why there were no "royal guard #8 - stood in the background at palace" entries...

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    What exactly do you mean?

Because as with previous book, the limitations were that characters/objects need to have been given a name and play a significant enough role in the material they appear in (book, magazine, cartoon, etc).

Hence why there were no "royal guard #8 - stood in the background at palace" entries...
    I meant characters like Stretch Nek, Snarl the Snow Thief, Goldenrod and more all appeared in mini-comic and were named.

Axel really fleshed out those characters with his redesigns but those have not been in any form of media yet.

This book would do just that making them more recognized and official.
    Danielsan52

HELP! The Devil's in my Car!!
    The B-52's

2002/DC He-Man Video guy

A special limited edition? This makes me worry I'm not getting a copy myself.
    I have seen what others have not seen!

Quote Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
    A special limited edition? This makes me worry I'm not getting a copy myself.
    I hope that's not the case and everyone can get hold of this. If not then I wonder if there would be scope for an updated character guide every 5 or so years, maybe removing the artifacts and weapons section to make room for more characters and updating the art used in a lot of the character title pictures?

We don't have details yet on price and pre-sale dates, but the English supplemental book is something that will only be available if you order the the combo of the Toy Guide and Supplemental via Power-Con.

I'll be direct about the Character Guide Supplemental. It's a limited edition release. Also, the combo is going to be full retail price, and the shipping costs are going to be whatever they cost from USPS. And, we all know that's not cheap.

That said, I'm not sure about a Kindle version, or foreign translation, or anything like that. That's always a possibility, depending on Dark Horse's plans.

This is a book that exists specifically for the hard core fans who wanted even more from the first Character Guide, and to make sure the teams of the Toy Guide and Supplemental get a little more compensation than usual. I'm grateful that Dark Horse, Mattel, and NBCUniversal saw the value in us offering this to hard core fans.

Speaking for myself, I have yet to make a dime off any of these books so far. In fact, I've actually lost money so far making sure these books were the best they could be. But thanks to this limited edition Supplemental, I'll be able to make a few bucks, and also be able take money out of my end to give a little extra to other team members of past books.

By buying this combo from Power-Con, you'll be supporting your fellow fans who contributed years of hard work to make them happen. And fans of the Character Guide will get something extra special for their collection.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page