Page 281 of 291 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,025 of 7275

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    Honestly. I am still confused why there was so much hate in the first place. We wait 35 years for a new MOTU series and the first thing people do is light up the internet cause itís not the show they wanted. I mean. We got a show thou! And Ií canít help but wonder how many of those fanboys donít even remember the series. Cause Teela was a Vital character in the original series too.

I would be very depressed if those that hated the series ruin the chances for a second season. Cause if you really look at it. If this doesnít get renewed for a second season. Why would Netflix gamble on the movie?

Why would Netflix or ANYONE gamble on a MOTU movie or Live Action series if this doesnít pan out?

And Iím not talking about the kids show cause it seems very different from our MOTU. And I understand Amazon is flirting with a She-Ra show - but thatís a long time away & she-Ra got the extension already
    All very valid points that many of us have brought up throughout this thread...

They could all be thrown out the window though IF the show was awful.

BUT, is isn't. It is a very good show, with tons of homage to the 80's media, lore from the past, nods to old-shool fans, lots of deep-cut research, and an obvious love for the property.

The complaints being levied against Revelation don't even hold water, but it's too late... that train has already left the station. And, it stained a lot of track on its way.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    The color is a bit too cgi intense for my taste

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    While I sincerely wish that Smith and Co. had never said (or implied) that "This is a sequel/continuation/etc. of Filmation", I also feel like by this point, on some level, anyone who's reached the age of reason should realize that All Marketing Is Spin.

In general, a movie poster or trailer shows up and prominently features scenes, characters, images etc. that aren't in the movie at all... people shrug it off. Recent Star Wars movies have done this, several MCU movies have done this... the 2017 cut of Justice League might be the single worst offender of all-time insofar as misleading marketing, as when cut together all of the trailers for that movie make up about 30 minutes of footage, and in the end maybe TWO minutes of what was advertised actually was in the movie people paid to see. And so on and so forth. And whenever these things happen, people shrug and say, "Well, it's just marketing."

And that's fine, it's just... odd, to me. It's odd to me how SO often, people collectively look the other way on some pretty blatant and egregious false advertising. Stuff like "This scene was in the trailer, but it's not in the movie!" or "This character was in this scene in the trailer, but not in the movie itself" seems more misleading than the fact that the tone and characterization in a New Cartoon doesn't mesh 1:1 with what's in an Old Cartoon.

"But they SAID..." I know what they said. That doesn't mean it was to be taken absolutely literally. And furthermore, WHY such a big deal in THIS case, when in other cases Hulk not being in that one Avengers scene isn't a big deal, or how Rogue One's trailers being full of footage not in the movie wasn't a big deal?

That's why it feels like selective criticism, to me. We have plenty of cases in pop culture where in advertising their products companies will quite literally "lie" or misrepresent things, and people shrug. "I don't expect it to be EXACTLY the same as what was advertised." But in this case, some of them do. They literally expected "A Filmation Sequel" because someone said once that that's what the show "kinda/sorta" was. Why? How? What happened to "It's just marketing"?

At the end of the day, "It continues the cartoon you watched as a kid" shouldn't have been a hill worth dying on for anyone. It was just a marketing line taken too seriously, and I guess they didn't expect it to be made a federal case of by so many or they might not have said it. The only reason they EVER said that in the first place, was because "It's like a combination of ALL the different MOTU lore but done in a way that - we hope - will feel familiar to people who grew up loving this brand or remember it from when they were kids" is too long and clunky to be used to market a cartoon show, even if it's the more factually-correct statement. Plus, to 99% of people who'd be paying attention, all they know or remember of MOTU is the old cartoon, anyways, so them talking about combining lore from This Series or That Version would only have confused the casual observer. Thus, "It's like the old cartoon, but for grown-ups!" was how they chose to market the show, because it was just plain easier that way.

I don't know, it just really surprises me - a lot - that such an innocuous thing is what "broke" this experience for so many people. This is like the first time I can remember it being SUCH a big deal that someone in marketing may have massaged things a little bit to drum up hype. People generally don't care so much. It's weird!
    Was watching kung fu called "John Liu in Mexico" instead filmed on Tenerife.....at least in Way of Dragon you get whats advertized on the movie poster : Rome and the Coliseum
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    All very valid points that many of us have brought up throughout this thread...

They could all be thrown out the window though IF the show was awful.

BUT, is isn't. It is a very good show, with tons of homage to the 80's media, lore from the past, nods to old-shool fans, lots of deep-cut research, and an obvious love for the property.

The complaints being levied against Revelation don't even hold water, but it's too late... that train has already left the station. And, it stained a lot of track on its way.
    I'm coming late to this discussion, so I don't know if this point was brought up already -- but a *very valid* point of criticism against Revelation is what it did with Eternia. It took it upon itself to completely disregard long-established and fundamental lore aspects like the Eternian cosmology (Preternia and Subternia), the nature of magic, or the rationale for Castle Grayskull. How else could a fan feel but slapped in the face by those completely unnecessary and obtusely written modifications?

Personally, I feel less strongly about not having Adam/He-Man as a main character, especially because there were other MOTU sories in the past where he stepped into the background. Stretching this out over at least half of the 10 episodes (probably more) is a bit much, though, and may -- fully understandably -- confuse fans. But, personally, it's still something I can accept as part of on ongoing and developing story.

What is, in my view, unacceptable is how Eternia itself was heavily altered. The same story could habe been told without changing any of the core concepts. This complain, to put it your way, definitely holds water.

Welcome to the forums First off.

I'm not sure about what you are saying about Eternia are you saying it doesn't look like Filmation Eternia? Legally it can't. I'm sure someone will touch up are some of your other detractors

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    Welcome to the forums First off.

I'm not sure about what you are saying about Eternia are you saying it doesn't look like Filmation Eternia? Legally it can't. I'm sure someone will touch up are some of your other detractors
    Thanks!

What I mean is the lore re-definition of certain elements like Preternia. Preternia was defined (also outside of Filmation, for example in the Classics bios) as a historical era of Eternia and not at all as an afterlife.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    BUT, is isn't. It is a very good show
    Your opinion is not fact.

The complaints being levied against Revelation don't even hold water.
    Again, your insecure opinion, and the same can, and has, applied to some of the merits of it.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; September 19, 2021 at 03:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JSElshoff View Post
    Thanks!

What I mean is the lore re-definition of certain elements like Preternia. Preternia was defined (also outside of Filmation, for example in the Classics bios) as a historical era of Eternia and not at all as an afterlife.
    Well yeah there's that whole preternia thing being the afterlife here but if that's all you really got against this show for the last 11 years your doing better than me

Your join date says October 2010? 3 posts? Whatever....

Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    We wait 35 years for a new MOTU series
    35 years? Are you sure of that?
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Your opinion is not fact.
    What?!? My opinion is not fact???

I suppose I'd need a youtube hate-channel for my thoughts to be taken as gospel...

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Again, your insecure opinion, and the same can, and has, applied to some of the merits of it.
    Hmmm, there's that insecure jab again. Methinks someone is projecting...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Court Magician
    Well yeah there's that whole preternia thing being the afterlife here but if that's all you really got against this show for the last 11 years your doing better than me .
    Well, this show has only been around for two months...

But seriously, while the Preternia thing is certainly not the only lore issue I have, it's a pretty big deal in my opinion. I mean Preternia had been well-established, had its own official map and several Classics characters like He-Ro, Eldor, and the Giants based on it. I think it's a really problematic move to simply turn into it into something entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by JSElshoff View Post
    Well, this show has only been around for two months...

But seriously, while the Preternia thing is certainly not the only lore issue I have, it's a pretty big deal in my opinion. I mean Preternia had been well-established, had its own official map and several Classics characters like He-Ro, Eldor, and the Giants based on it. I think it's a really problematic move to simply turn into it into something entirely different.
    Problem for who? Not really they could have called it Afternia and somebody would have had a beef. Preternia was just Eternia back then no biggie. I have a bigger issue with subternia as that's where current races of Eternians live if you watched MYP he man. People are giving the new show WAY too much slack to be worried about things like this. You never did explain the 4 posts in 11 years though that's WAY more interesting. Somebody get the boot or something.....

Court Magician
    Problem for who? Not really they could have called it Afternia and somebody would have had a beef. Preternia was just Eternia back then no biggie. I have a bigger issue with subternia as that's where current races of Eternians live if you watched MYP he man. People are giving the new show WAY too much slack to be worried about things like this. You never did explain the 4 posts in 11 years though that's WAY more interesting. Somebody get the boot or something.....
    Actually, I would have been fine with it had they called it differently. Preternia is history, not afterlife. The way it is now, Preternia was redefined. And the same thing is true about Subternia, essentialy being turned into "hell"/"tartaros", while it is just the subterranean part (the "hollow earth") of Eternia. This completely isolates the "Revelation canon" from the wonderful rich lore created by the MYP cartoon, the Classics figures, and several comics. This was a terrible decision and another example of how Eternia was taken apart.

As for my posts, I'm a long-time reader, but only now felt the urge to post something.

It's a problem for lots of people.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    It's a problem for lots of people.
    Haven't you heard? It's all just YouTube jerks making it seem like most people hate this show. I'm sure the mob will come around soon to remind you.

Also, the whole Preternia and Subternia thing where they were so easily accessible and separated by some "wall" or whatever. The whole thing was very ... odd. "Hey, we'll just hop over to hell, grab that sword, then we'll swing by heaven and we'll just bump into Adam and he'll have the other sword in his shirt. Then we can hop back to the real world, maybe with Adam since people can just return or whatever, and maybe Orko and a robot will die in the afterlife somehow, and whatever lol just turn off your brain, dude!!"

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by They-Them View Post
    Also, the whole Preternia and Subternia thing where they were so easily accessible and separated by some "wall" or whatever. The whole thing was very ... odd. "Hey, we'll just hop over to hell, grab that sword, then we'll swing by heaven and we'll just bump into Adam and he'll have the other sword in his shirt. Then we can hop back to the real world, maybe with Adam since people can just return or whatever, and maybe Orko and a robot will die in the afterlife somehow, and whatever lol just turn off your brain, dude!!"
    You're making the very important point that even if we completely forgot about how Revelation has treated MOTU lore and characters for a moment, we would still be left with an astonishingly bland and uninventive show. It is not well-written at all. However, this actually wouldn't bother me so much. What bothers me are the completely unnecessary lore changes. A bad story is not a big deal, but a (bad) modification of canonical elements can have a lasting affect on future MOTU storytelling.

Haven't you heard? It's all just YouTube jerks making it seem like most people hate this show. I'm sure the mob will come around soon to remind you.

Also,whatever lol just turn off your brain, dude!!"
    THIS! THIS! Don't people get enough brain drain with real life to not just enjoy aneffin CARTOON?

Pick it apart, dissect it, twist it around to suit your narrative hell go ahead and hate it.

It's far from perfect, but TO ME there has NEVER been a better 2 plus hours of MOTU so far...

Court Magician
    THIS! THIS! Don't people get enough brain drain with real life to not just enjoy aneffin CARTOON?

Pick it apart, dissect it, twist it around to suit your narrative hell go ahead and hate it.

It's far from perfect, but TO ME there has NEVER been a better 2 plus hours of MOTU so far...
    And no one can or will take that away from you. If you like it, wonderful -- more power to you. If we look at Revelation's story a bit more objectively, though, I think it can be said that it seems rather simplistic when compared to what we find in the MYP cartoon or several comics. It might have lots of easter eggs and such, but those never help to create an actual story.

Exactly! Who cares if none of it makes a lick of sense? It's a cartoon, people. It's about playsets and vehicles from back in the day. Remember Land Shark??? Epic!

Court Magician
    Exactly! Who cares if none of it makes a lick of sense? It's a cartoon, people. It's about playsets and vehicles from back in the day. Remember Land Shark??? Epic!
    Even though I *think* you're being entirely sarcastic here, I *do* care if a cartoon story makes sense. And a good story can be simple (many good ones are), but it should never be simplistic.

Two months and we still don't even have a date for the second half of the first season?

This is past ridiculous!

I actually liked the first five episodes, but this wait is souring me on the series more and more.

I wish they just waited until all the episodes were finished to release them all at once. What was the point in releasing this way???
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Court Magician
    I never said that it didn't "make a lick of sense", I said that the story(telling) was unoriginal and simplistic. I have been reading them *silently* for 10 years plus and only now decided to get in on the discussion of Revelation. The reason is simple: Revelation was a great chance to do something really important for this brand -- and in my opinion, it was wasted. So, I think it's important to share thoughts on this matter.

The show is NOT done yet...

It has tried to cram WAY TOO MUCH into ten episodes to avoid rushed scenes and cramped conversations that would have taken twice as many. But Whateva..

Court Magician
    The show is NOT done yet...

It has tried to cram WAY TOO MUCH into ten episodes to avoid rushed scenes and cramped conversations that would have taken twice as many. But Whateva..
    You're absolutely right that we can only base our discussion about Revelation on its first 5 episodes. But for all we know, that already is half the show! Besides, I'm more than happy to change my view should the next 5 be so fantastic that they somehow manage to right all of the first half's wrongs. I will definitely give it another chance, even though I've been heavily disappointed by most of what I've seen so far.

Having said that, what we discussed regarding Preternia/Subternia and other lore changes has little to do with the fact that the show isn't over yet.

If borrowing the names of other predetermined places of lore is enough to sour you off to a series, to break your decade of silence, you set the bar to an unreachable level and that falls on you in the end. It's a somewhat different argument but still falls into the butch Teela haircut argument category for me. Or my personal favorite "Kevin Smith LIED!"

Court Magician
    If borrowing the names of other predetermined places of lore is enough to sour you off to a series, to break your decade of silence, you set the bar to an unreachable level and that falls on you in the end. It's a somewhat different argument but still falls into the butch Teela haircut argument category for me. Or my personal favorite "Kevin Smith LIED!"
    This is not about exchanging names like labels, it's about redefining the *nature* of Preternia. It was established as He-Ro's era, an actual historical period on Eternia. The Classics bios incorporated this original definition of Preternia and so did the comic books. All of a sudden, Revelation comes along and turns Preternia into the MOTU version of Asgard/Valhalla. That is certainly more than "borrowing a name", as it can be clearly seen that this new definition is meant to replace the original definition, still featuring characters like He-Ro and the iconic Central Tower. It's not a new place with the same name, it's a (fundamentally) modified version of the original one.

To me, that is definitely not on the same level as Teela's haircut. I could care less about Teela's haircut. I could care less about what anybody promised. I don't even care too much about what happens to He-Man. Revelation's main fault is how it handles Eternia -- a fascinating and detailed fantasy world that has grown over time. As the writer of a new story set in a familiar world, you don't simply step in and redefine an established cosmology. In a world as rich and varied as Eternia, you can easily work *within* that cosmology and still tell exactly the story you want.