Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1685

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Those songs are corporate works of authorship. That is precisely what work-for-hire arrangement is.
    I didn't state otherwise. I pointed out that those kinds of arrangements do generate handsome royalty profits, but these go into the pockets of the middlemen, rather than into the pockets of the actual talent that created the content, who only get paid once (and often don't even get any credit), whereas the non-creative corporate hirer will get paid for every single time that content gets used during like over a century. Which may be totally legal and all, but in my opinion is totally antithetical to any concept of just compensation and a prime example of how corporate greed has abused its dominant position and lobbying power to enforce the enactment of legal frameworks and contract conditions that disenfranchise many creators from most of the fruits of their work while the corporates thrive leeching off them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Wait... are they trying to say that Dark Chocolate is for Evil Warriors?!?
    Then surely White Chocolate should be the one for Heroic Warriors. Whereas Milk Chocolate better fits the neutral Cosmic Enforcers.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; April 16, 2021 at 05:26am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    I didn't state otherwise. I pointed out that those kinds of arrangements do generate handsome royalty profits, but these go into the pockets of the middlemen, rather than into the pockets of the actual talent that created the content, who only get paid once (and often don't even get any credit), whereas the non-creative corporate hirer will get paid for every single time that content gets used during like over a century. Which may be totally legal and all, but in my opinion is totally antithetical to any concept of just compensation and a prime example of how corporate greed has abused its dominant position and lobbying power to enforce the enactment of legal frameworks and contract conditions that disenfranchise many creators from most of the fruits of their work while the corporates thrive leeching off them.
    Totally agree with this. Just because something is legal doesn't mean that it's ethical.

Master of New Adventures!
    At that price it should be The Most Powerful Chocolate Bar in the Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    20 bucks for a chocolate bar?

Interesting that they're using the newer Revelations logo font instead of the vintage style.

Heroic Warrior
    In a perfect world, the new Revelations series would look like this:

This is a great example of how the series could attract all the new fans and at the same time keep the old fans too.

Doubt it will have any resemblance to this though...

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    And my point is that what you are describing are not royalties.

No one is getting royalties on work-for-hire.

Someone needs to inform all those work for hire artists at DC, Image and Marvel that the royalty checks they live on don't really exist.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Someone needs to inform all those work for hire artists at DC, Image and Marvel that the royalty checks they live on don't really exist.
    roy·al·ty noun. A percentage of gross or net profit or a fixed amount per sale to which the licensor of a work is entitled which is determined by contract between the licensor and the licensee.

Work-for-hire artists are not paid royalties. Royalties are fees paid to the rights holder, not to comissioned artists.

I wish toxic and non-constructive negativity and cynicism didn't exist.

roy·al·ty noun. A percentage of gross or net profit or a fixed amount per sale to which the licensor of a work is entitled which is determined by contract between the licensor and the licensee.

Work-for-hire artists are not paid royalties. Royalties are fees paid to the rights holder, not to comissioned artists.

Work for hire artists that receive royalties on the work they create receive royalties.

Do you really want to argue this? Accept that your myopic definition of "royalty" is wrong, choose a better hill to die on, and move on.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not entirely educated on this topic (but I actually should be, as I have worked a few sparse times in the illustration industry as an illustrator) - but my understanding has always been that "work for hire" does not receive royalties. It's a one-time fee, or a "buy-out" so to speak.

I think what this means, is that the illustrator accepts a one-time payment for the job and that's it. No further payments. Kind of like you pay an electrician a certain amount to fix your ceiling lights, and that's it. They send you the bill when the job's done.

- - - Updated - - -

Work for hire artists that receive royalties on the work they create receive royalties.

Do you really want to argue this? Accept that your myopic definition of "royalty" is wrong, choose a better hill to die on, and move on.

If you're an artist who is receiving a flat fee for the job and nothing more, then you are a "work-for-hire" artist.

On the flip side - I think that if the artists receives royalties in any way, then it's not called "work-for-hire". It's called something else, but I don't know what it's called, lol.

But - this is just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by tpi; April 18, 2021 at 05:36am.

I don't think Marvel gives royalties to artists at all and DC might only be if the artist has a hand in creating a character that is used later on.

Quote Originally Posted by tpi View Post
    I'm not entirely educated on this topic (but I actually should be, as I have worked a few sparse times in the illustration industry as an illustrator) - but my understanding has always been that "work for hire" does not receive royalties. It's a one-time fee, or a "buy-out" so to speak.

I think what this means, is that the illustrator accepts a one-time payment for the job and that's it. No further payments. Kind of like you pay an electrician a certain amount to fix your ceiling lights, and that's it. They send you the bill when the job's done.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're an artist who is receiving a flat fee for the job and nothing more, then you are a "work-for-hire" artist.

On the flip side - I think that if the artists receives royalties in any way, then it's not called "work-for-hire". It's called something else, but I don't know what it's called, lol.

As someone who has worked for book publishers both in work-for-hire and royalty based contracts, I would agree.

However, I do believe that the most significant aspect of work-for-hire is ownership. With a Work-for-hire contract, the employer owns everything, the copyright is registered in their name.

If you have a “regular” contract (in book publishing) you are still the owner of the work, you have the copyright, and you simply have an agreement that they may publish it, and share the profit (you get 5-15%, for example). Once the book goes out of print, this agreement is over, and you could actually sell it to another publisher.

In work-for-hire, you mostly get a (hopefully big) “flat fee”, and the corporation owns everything.
    There *might* be instances, where a corporation would offer an additional payment if the artwork is used for New Purposes. It all depends how you hammer out the contract with each other.
    I don’t know if you would call that a royalty then. I would think it’s just “fee” (?)
    But perhaps this word definition is not that important :-)

In Big Two comics, I believe it’’s mostly work-for-hire, but there definitely are exceptions.

In packaging design, i would assume it’s work for hire, too.
    Last edited by Cosmic; April 18, 2021 at 10:20am.

Quote Originally Posted by tpi View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Ding! Ding! Ding!

So songwriters and performers, who don't own their songs, don't receive "author royalties" or "performance royalties" on said material? Even though their checks, contracts and all pertinent litigation stemming from such, refer to said payments as "royalties"?

I receive, oh, about 43 different revenue streams a month on material I don't own, but contributed to. They're called royalties. In court, they're referred to as royalties. In my work for hire contracts, they're referred to as royalties. The entire industry, our court system, and the world at large refers to such payments as royalties.

Everyone, please be more respectful towards each other. Anyone that wishes to debate royalties further can take it to the PMs. thanks

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Not going to lie, "Gundum" made me laugh.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    Not going to lie, "Gundum" made me laugh.
    They apparently realized their error.

https://twitter.com/netflixgeeked/st...305759750?s=21

We’re just sitting in the wind waiting for some visuals. At least the reboot has tie-in material with story descriptions to work with.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation Prequel Comic Revealed by Dark Horse

https://www.ign.com/articles/masters...l-comic-he-man

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Prequel Comic Revealed by Dark Horse

https://www.ign.com/articles/masters...l-comic-he-man

https://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress...640&height=480
    Absolutely awesome, I can't wait to add this to my collection!

I will say, the new chest logo looks a lot less dumb in that picture than it does on the action figure that's coming out. I guess it's all a matter of proportion.

Green Arrow and "Askewniverse" stuff aside, though, Kevin Smith writes bad comics. Like REALLY bad comics. So while the cover art definitely looks good, I still have reservations about everything having to do with "Revelation" so long as his name is attached. And I say that as a fan of the guy, generally-speaking. I like Mallrats more than most people do, but his track record on licensed characters is spotty at best, and that's being super-generous.

I mean, he made Batman pee himself. If I live to be 300 years old I am NEVER gonna forgive him for that.

So yeah, cautiously optimistic, but very strong emphasis on "cautiously".
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Hmmm...while the characters are all immediately recognizable on that cover, I'm not particularly impressed by the small changes to their outfits. Why was that necessary? I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the motivation to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Hmmm...while the characters are all immediately recognizable on that cover, I'm not particularly impressed by the small changes to their outfits. Why was that necessary? I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the motivation to do so.
    Because it's "new", and every new creator wants to put their own "mark" on an established franchise. So ego, mostly.

If the story itself is good, then I likely won't care. To be honest, I really didn't like most of the new costumes they had the characters in for the DC run. Some of them I absolutely hated. But I was so engrossed in the story - which ended up being one of me favorite versions of the mythos - that I was able to put it out of my mind, for the most part. I would have definitely liked it a lot better if everyone just had their "proper" outfits, but in the end it was forgivable.

These redesigns aren't anywhere near as drastic as those, so I'm not expecting it to be a big deal for me at all, so long as the story is decent.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I find it really strange that the first stuff we're seeing of Revelation is toys/comic tie ins instead of previews of the show itself. Come on Netflix, get us some promotional material already.

Comic dropping in July then...so the series won't be dropping until late July to August or beyond?