Page 243 of 281 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 7003

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    And if it’s all just haters, where are all the people that loved it. Why aren’t people that like revelation giving it positive scores???
    I can't speak for everyone else, but when I love something- frankly I just can't be bothered to score or review or whatever else about it. I just love it and that's that... I already have a full time job, I'm not marketing the stuff I enjoy as a hobby/past time (unless I want to turn myself into the next Pixel Dan so I can get my favorite stuff sent my way for "free" as part of that work perk)
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    "Poor writing" is just the Lazyman's way of saying "I don't like it", but they want to sound all smart. A lot of the time they have no idea what poor writing actually is.
    “Poor writing” means the writing sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I find it odd how any reviews criticizing Revelations is "review bombing" yet any praising it are genuine.
    That’s the way it is with some people masquerading as fans. Praise from people who never watched the show but rate it highly because it ticks their boxes is legit. Any and all criticism is just review bombing from bad fans and/or bots.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah2849 View Post
    “Poor writing” means the writing sucks.
    You know exactly what I meant. And thank you for proving my point with the word "sucks". Very objective.

Give me an example of poor writing in Revelation. Not something you think "sucks", but an actual example of "poor writing". Come on, it can be your 45th post in four years.
    Last edited by Krueger; August 5, 2021 at 06:58pm.

You know exactly what I meant. And thank you for proving my point with the word "sucks". Very objective.

Give me an example of poor writing in Revelation. Not something you think "sucks", but an actual example of "poor writing". Come on, it can be your 45th post in four years.
    Dude, the writing in Revelation isn't good. They hired CW-tier writers and Kevin Smith himself hasn't written anything good since the 90s. There have been tons of examples brought up by many posters throughout this and the other Revelation threads.

And stop equating someone's post count to the worth of their opinion.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    I was in Walmart a few minutes ago and saw a man and kid, maybe age 8 or 9, in the toy aisle. The kid had picked out something and was looking for something else. I was almost out of the aisle when I heard him yell “He-man!” when he got to the Origins section. I turned around and said awesome to the man and it turns out they both loved Revelation. It’s nice to hear a kid actually excited to see He-Man.
    Last edited by AntiEternia He-Man; August 5, 2021 at 07:32pm.

Heroic Podcaster
    Negative experiences (more often, the failure to meet our expectations) spur us all to leave negative reviews at a much higher clip than positive experiences lead to positive reviews. It's been true in retail for years and it has become more and more true in fandom in recent years. Captain Marvel and Black Panther, just to name two, were ratings-bombed by activist mobs to the point Rotten Tomatoes changed the way they handle advance ratings.

A positive experience leaves you feeling 'this was done right, I can move on'. It takes a bit of effort to leave a positive review online and our mindset has already moved on as we don't feel there is any need to intervene. The idea that people would leave positive reviews just to "tick their political boxes" isn't likely, but certainly cannot be ruled out. Just like the idea that people leaving bad reviews simply because something doesn't tick their political boxes also cannot be ruled out. Can't allow for one possibility without the other.

Negative experiences (especially not having our expectations met) leave us feeling betrayed, angry, ready for some payback, and the internet has given us all the perfect forum to enact revenge on something we don't like. It takes the same effort to leave a negative review as it does a positive one, but we have all the energy and drive (and fixation) to do so based on our anger. We aren't hoping for any sort of change or resolution, just the cathartic 'this didn't go the way I want, I will be heard, I don't need any feedback or discourse' mic drop that we can feel self-satisfied about and walk away.

Of course a negative review is just as valid as a positive one on its base level. If you didn't like something, you have every right to rate that product (or store, etc) accordingly. But as they add up, negative reviews tend to appear more pervasive than they actually are, based on the percentage of unsatisfied customers that left reviews versus satisfied customers that simply moved on.

I'm not arguing for or against the relative quality of MOTU:Rev or Black Panther or anything else. They may be awesome, they may be terrible, they are likely somewhere in the middle. I just like data and stats.

For context, I got my masters degree in this field and have studied the data. One of the driving reasons that companies both large and small pay little to no attention to online reviews anymore is the rampant, revenge-minded approach of activist mobs. They aren't productive, contribute to zero actual constructive change, and allow little to no discourse. Media companies are starting to see this trend as well and we often internalize their dismissive response as fan abuse, which leads to more anger, perpetuating the cycle.

While many, many negative reviews are certainly legit, they are being drowned out by the mob misusing the system. To be blunt, we fans are being lumped in with the worst of us because the worst of us are the most vocal. (By 'worst', I don't mean negative. That's completely legit. I mean hateful, irrational, agenda-driven negative.)

People are fascinating. Thanks for reading and have a great day tomorrow.
    Last edited by SunDevil; August 5, 2021 at 07:36pm.
    THE VINTAGE-TO-CLASSICS COUNTDOWN IS COMPLETE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AntiEternia He-Man View Post
    I was in Walmart a few minutes ago and saw a man and kid, maybe age 8 or 9, in the toy aisle. The kid had picked out something and was looking for something else. I was almost out of the aisle when I heard him yell “He-man!” when he got to the Origins section. I turned around and said awesome to the man and it turns out they both loved the Revelation. It’s nice to hear a kid actually excited to see He-Man.
    Even though I personally didn’t like revelation so far, it’s nice to hear some kids are getting into the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    And stop equating someone's post count to the worth of their opinion.
    "Poor writing" = "I don't like it" = "The writing sucks." The comment neither contradicted nor clarified the point being made, nor provided any examples of said poor writing. It might be the least valuable contribution to this entire thread.

(Love your avatar, by the way.)

It's funny the same channels that hate cancel culture are trying to cancel Kevin Smith.
    He is suffering from cyberbullying already.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; August 5, 2021 at 09:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Negative experiences (more often, the failure to meet our expectations) spur us all to leave negative reviews at a much higher clip than positive experiences lead to positive reviews. It's been true in retail for years and it has become more and more true in fandom in recent years. Captain Marvel and Black Panther, just to name two, were ratings-bombed by activist mobs to the point Rotten Tomatoes changed the way they handle advance ratings.

A positive experience leaves you feeling 'this was done right, I can move on'. It takes a bit of effort to leave a positive review online and our mindset has already moved on as we don't feel there is any need to intervene. The idea that people would leave positive reviews just to "tick their political boxes" isn't likely, but certainly cannot be ruled out. Just like the idea that people leaving bad reviews simply because something doesn't tick their political boxes also cannot be ruled out. Can't allow for one possibility without the other.

Negative experiences (especially not having our expectations met) leave us feeling betrayed, angry, ready for some payback, and the internet has given us all the perfect forum to enact revenge on something we don't like. It takes the same effort to leave a negative review as it does a positive one, but we have all the energy and drive (and fixation) to do so based on our anger. We aren't hoping for any sort of change or resolution, just the cathartic 'this didn't go the way I want, I will be heard, I don't need any feedback or discourse' mic drop that we can feel self-satisfied about and walk away.

Of course a negative review is just as valid as a positive one on its base level. If you didn't like something, you have every right to rate that product (or store, etc) accordingly. But as they add up, negative reviews tend to appear more pervasive than they actually are, based on the percentage of unsatisfied customers that left reviews versus satisfied customers that simply moved on.

I'm not arguing for or against the relative quality of MOTU:Rev or Black Panther or anything else. They may be awesome, they may be terrible, they are likely somewhere in the middle. I just like data and stats.

For context, I got my masters degree in this field and have studied the data. One of the driving reasons that companies both large and small pay little to no attention to online reviews anymore is the rampant, revenge-minded approach of activist mobs. They aren't productive, contribute to zero actual constructive change, and allow little to no discourse. Media companies are starting to see this trend as well and we often internalize their dismissive response as fan abuse, which leads to more anger, perpetuating the cycle.

While many, many negative reviews are certainly legit, they are being drowned out by the mob misusing the system. To be blunt, we fans are being lumped in with the worst of us because the worst of us are the most vocal. (By 'worst', I don't mean negative. That's completely legit. I mean hateful, irrational, agenda-driven negative.)

People are fascinating. Thanks for reading and have a great day tomorrow.
    Very well pull, what I have bolded has been applied to many comminutes.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This is what bugged me about the He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse book... 200X was more of a reimagining of MOTU whereas New Adventures is the true sequel to the Filmation series.

So, in the book, both "Annoyingly Chipper He-Man" and "Space He-Man" should have been the same person. Instead, they made them two separate He-Men...
    Yeah i always felt

NA was a sequel to filmation

200X was more of a reimaging prequel to filmation

Revelations is a very loose sequel to 200x/filmation
    cogito ergo doleo

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I'll give just one example. But it's a crucial thing to get right in a well written story. You have to have real consequences in any dramatic work. MOTUR relied heavily on deaths that we all know will be undone. And even if they aren't undone, killing off characters is the cheap a d easy way to do drama. It's much more difficult to find other ways to ratchet up the tension in a story.

MOTUR killed too many people, too easily, and at least one person twice. Its lazy, weak writing. I'm not an expert but I have read a handful of books on screenwriting, taken several classes on screenwriting, written and filmed a number of shorts, and watched hundreds of hours of screenwriters talking about the craft. Again, I say this not because I'm some expert, because I'm not, but I can honestly report that the experts I have listened to all say the same thing. You have to consequences that stick.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying the writing was 100% bad, but a lot of it was bad.

But if you like it, that's fine. I love many films that are poorly written.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I'll give just one example. But it's a crucial thing to get right in a well written story. You have to have real consequences in any dramatic work. MOTUR relied heavily on deaths that we all know will be undone. And even if they aren't undone, killing off characters is the cheap a d easy way to do drama. It's much more difficult to find other ways to ratchet up the tension in a story.

MOTUR killed too many people, too easily, and at least one person twice. Its lazy, weak writing. I'm not an expert but I have read a handful of books on screenwriting, taken several classes on screenwriting, written and filmed a number of shorts, and watched hundreds of hours of screenwriters talking about the craft. Again, I say this not because I'm some expert, because I'm not, but I can honestly report that the experts I have listened to all say the same thing. You have to consequences that stick.

- - - Updated - - -

Did your classes cover the many losses of eyeballs in this show?
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

- - - Updated - - -

Reminds me of the Seinfeld joke;
    Don't you hate the "to be continued" 's on TV? It's horrible when you sense the "to be continued" coming. You know, you're watching the show, you're into the story. You know, there's like 5 minutes left and you realize "Hey! They can't make it! Timmy's still stuck in the cave. There's no way they wrap this up in 5 minutes!". I mean the whole reason you watch a TV show is because it ends. If I want a long, boring story with no point to it, I have my life. A comedian can't do that, see, I can't go "a man walks into a bar with a pig under his arms. Can you come back next week?"

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    "Poor writing" = "I don't like it" = "The writing sucks." The comment neither contradicted nor clarified the point being made, nor provided any examples of said poor writing. It might be the least valuable contribution to this entire thread.
    This is how I felt when I read the post...

Quote: “Poor writing” means the writing sucks.

My 4th Graders are more articulate than this - by miles.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

He-Man giving his life to save everything and everyone he loves isn't cheap drama... when the group found Adam in Preternia, he had no intention of returning with them, but again, he made another sacrifice (giving up his reward) to do what's right.

Roboto has a similar story... he knew that he was the only one who could forge the sword even though it meant certain death. He did what he was programmed to do because he was programmed to emulate what Duncan would have done.

Orko (who I believe will be returning...) held off Scareglow to allow his friends a chance to escape, e.g. heroism.

You notice the trend? These are Heroic Warriors.

Now, if you look at how the Evil Warriors and how they handled the absence of He-Man and Skeletor, they were exploiting people, stealing artifacts and (apparently) getting into some gruesome fights.

They are the bad guys, they do not do heroic things like sacrifice themselves for the good of others.

The writers set out to show us a world without its protector and the far-reaching effects of his absence. Both sides of the board lost their MVPs, and this is the Eternia we get to see... where He-Man's lessons didn't fall on deaf ears, others step up to the plate and do what's necessary for the greater good.

The writing is far from lazy or weak.

Also, I don't think Faker and Blast-Attack are coming back...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior Master of Disguise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Wait...are you sure you have the right person?
    I certainly hope not, but I do believe your heart is in the right place, I humbly will lower myself to you at this stage, but I hope you are genuine, but that can easily be corrupted.
    Go Home And Be A Family He-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Did your classes cover the many losses of eyeballs in this show?
    I think my teacher says that was a theme. Ha ha. Yeah, all the eyeballs. Are we gonna see Optikk decapitated? Or maybe he's the one behind it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baba1983 View Post
    Reminds me of the Seinfeld joke;
    Don't you hate the "to be continued" 's on TV? It's horrible when you sense the "to be continued" coming. You know, you're watching the show, you're into the story. You know, there's like 5 minutes left and you realize "Hey! They can't make it! Timmy's still stuck in the cave. There's no way they wrap this up in 5 minutes!". I mean the whole reason you watch a TV show is because it ends. If I want a long, boring story with no point to it, I have my life. A comedian can't do that, see, I can't go "a man walks into a bar with a pig under his arms. Can you come back next week?"
    Yeah, exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This is how I felt when I read the post...

Quote: “Poor writing” means the writing sucks.

My 4th Graders are more articulate than this - by miles.

- - - Updated - - -

He-Man giving his life to save everything and everyone he loves isn't cheap drama... when the group found Adam in Preternia, he had no intention of returning with them, but again, he made another sacrifice (giving up his reward) to do what's right.

Roboto has a similar story... he knew that he was the only one who could forge the sword even though it meant certain death. He did what he was programmed to do because he was programmed to emulate what Duncan would have done.

Orko (who I believe will be returning...) held off Scareglow to allow his friends a chance to escape, e.g. heroism.

You notice the trend? These are Heroic Warriors.

Now, if you look at how the Evil Warriors and how they handled the absence of He-Man and Skeletor, they were exploiting people, stealing artifacts and (apparently) getting into some gruesome fights.

They are the bad guys, they do not do heroic things like sacrifice themselves for the good of others.

The writers set out to show us a world without its protector and the far-reaching effects of his absence. Both sides of the board lost their MVPs, and this is the Eternia we get to see... where He-Man's lessons didn't fall on deaf ears, others step up to the plate and do what's necessary for the greater good.

The writing is far from lazy or weak.

Also, I don't think Faker and Blast-Attack are coming back...
    The heroic sacrifice is dramatic and compelling. And then the writers undo it. That's the cheap and lazy part. Because the next dramatic, shocking thing that happens, I don't trust it. Because I know the writers might just undo it. It was good because there were consequences. Then you reverse the consequences and it's no longer good. It's a cheat.

I actually wrote a long post last week I think about how important heroism actually is. With a couple of exceptions (the ones you mentioned), this show turned our heroes into non-heroic people who make the same choices many of us would have made.

I hear what you are saying, but I wont substitute your judgment for my own or for the dozens and dozens of professional writers I've learned from.

I'm not saying the writers have no talent or that they did nothing good. There are some good aspects to the writing. I think Smith came up with shocking events that he thought were so metal and would get him pats on the back and the writers had to make it happen.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    1983-1984 - He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - Season 1 - Episode 59: The Witch And The Warrior

The last time Teela and Evil-Lyn worked together, and Evil-Lyn took off her helmet, and we learned she was a blonde. One of my favorites.

1983-1984 - He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - Season 1 - Episode 39: Trouble In Arcadia

The Feminist episode. One of my favorite episodes, but the moral of that episode was that we all have to work together.

Which do you like better, Trouble In Arcadia or Revelation?

DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

Has anyone else pointed out the major improvement in Tri-Klops' teeth between the 200X era and Revelation?
    Remember that huge statue of Tri-Klops that came out in the 200X era? I wanted to love that sculpt but hoo-boy that dude's teeth were NASTY. Kudos for better dental care through Revelation!
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Has anyone else pointed out the major improvement in Tri-Klops' teeth between the 200X era and Revelation?
    Remember that huge statue of Tri-Klops that came out in the 200X era? I wanted to love that sculpt but hoo-boy that dude's teeth were NASTY. Kudos for better dental care through Revelation!
    Why was he so ****** at Skeletor, then?! Dude was getting dental through Snake Mountain. Not too shabby.

I'm not saying the writers have no talent or that they did nothing good. There are some good aspects to the writing. I think Smith came up with shocking events that he thought were so metal and would get him pats on the back and the writers had to make it happen.
    I also was not a fan of the writing. But to be fair, I think it's more that they had to try to squeeze a lot of story (and action) into too small of a time. Less chance for clarity, less chance for build up, less chance for things to pan out before moving on.

Basically I think it's a story that could have been told much better but was really rushed.

I think that's why I liked the series better the second and third time through. It played out better when I knew what the writers were trying to accomplish as a whole.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    Why was he so ****** at Skeletor, then?! Dude was getting dental through Snake Mountain. Not too shabby.
    Great dental care benefits, but lack of work/life balance is probably what sent him over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I also was not a fan of the writing. But to be fair, I think it's more that they had to try to squeeze a lot of story (and action) into too small of a time. Less chance for clarity, less chance for build up, less chance for things to pan out before moving on.

Basically I think it's a story that could have been told much better but was really rushed.

I think that's why I liked the series better the second and third time through. It played out better when I knew what the writers were trying to accomplish as a whole.
    I agree that it was rushed. I agree that was a major problem with the story. I think better writing could have fixed a lot of that. The more I think about it, the more I think Smith's metal ideas handcuffed the writers. If there was too much story for 5 episodes, or 10, that's Smith's decision, not the writers' decision. It's his job to tell a story that can be told in the time allotted.

I'm not sure what I would have liked more - a story with an overreliance on deaths that don't stick, but with a storyline that took its time to really explore what's going on. Or a rush job where the consequences stick, i.e., real drama.

Good writing does both. I think this story did neither.

Again, there were good parts to it. I think the visuals were great, other than the costuming. I liked Evil-Lyn. I liked that Adam and Orko were portrayed as heroes. Their sacrifices were real and dramatic for me. But they won't stick, so... eh, what's the point (not that I'm rooting for them to stay dead). I liked Scareglow. There was some heart between Orko and Evil-Lyn that felt poignant.