Page 232 of 280 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 6992

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Being a longtime member of he-man . org or having a high post count has ZERO to do with how much of a masters fan a person is , AT ALL ,nor does it make one person's opinion more valid than anothers . I've defended revelation so far , and this is my 3rd account on the org , I first signed up over 15 years ago . My brother has spent 5 times the amount on he man stuff that I have , I never collected classics where's he had multiple subs , and he's never made one post on this site , so I don't get why a " newbies" opinion is less valid than anybody else's.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Very much this. I've been a MOTU fan since '82. I only joined here a while back because I wanted access to some of the images and stuff that were available only to members. I had no intention getting involved in the message board at all but kind of got sucked in. My recent join date and my low post count does not mean anything about my 'true fan' status and that sort of gatekeeping is toxic to a community. I remember being excited when MYP came out and I was put off at first by the character designs and oversized weapons. But the story hooked me, so I followed it. However, I remember at the time seeing people blasting it for everything from the character design, to Teela being a jerk (some things never change, I guess), to Cringer not talking (a change I actually welcomed). Some people have changed their opinion over time, some have mellowed, some still hate it, and others pretend like they loved it from day one even if they didn't. When the only visible reviews on RT are from after Revelations was released, and they're all to the effect of "Oh yeah, this is what Smith should have done", that speaks less to how well-received MYP-MOTU was and more to how hostile people are being to Revelations now.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See isn't this funny the SAME people on here are mostly newbies and are not really part of the community because they are only standing up a fighting for a "Cartoon" because it matches their agenda

And those were examples you can spin it however you want to but that series was WELL received no matter you make it out to be with your "Spins" on it......

I bring that to attention (Which is fact) and you want to tear that down when all I said it was better and numbers don't lie but you still have to "fight" for a cartoon (See the word here) CARTOON I said I didn't like it's agenda and compared it to the closest thing we had since (2002 MYP) and people were saying well this was bad and people hated it blah blah blah.....Show me PROOF that this was done in 2002

And get me a valid site not some youtuber who lives in his mother's basement or someone with a hidden agenda...
    I don't get what you mean by "fighting" or "agenda" but the only point of 80slady you possibly disproved is the reason for cancelation. I wouldn't try to argue that most fans don't like 200X and she didn't say her opinions were representative of all fans. She giving her opinions(which I wouldn't completely agree with) in response to someone else opinions.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    I don't get what you mean by "fighting" or "agenda" but the only point of 80slady you possibly disproved is the reason for cancelation. I wouldn't try to argue that most fans don't like 200X and she didn't say her opinions were representative of all fans. She giving her opinions(which I wouldn't completely agree with) in response to someone else opinions.
    No she knew I liked MYP then had to "Start something" by saying things that didn't make sense you can have your opinion but WHEN you say things "Suck" just to **** someone off because they don't like something you do? You need help because it's ONLY a cartoon...

Hey I own NA OF He-Man and watched that series only TWICE in my life he too had some good things but it REALLY didn't feel like He-Man but like Revelations if you don't like it there is something wrong with you the only difference between NA & Revelations we KNEW what NA was going to be about and it was a bait and switch or misdirection about Revelations THAT'S why people are made and i'm glad these people "love it" good for you I didn't "love" or "hate" it I was disappointed so I guess I have to pick a side or what do YOU think I should do?

No she knew I liked MYP then had to "Start something" by saying things that didn't make sense you can have your opinion but WHEN you say things "Suck" just to **** someone off because they don't like something you do? You need help because it's ONLY a cartoon...

Hey I own NA OF He-Man and watched that series only TWICE in my life he too had some good things but it REALLY didn't feel like He-Man but like Revelations if you don't like it there is something wrong with you the only difference between NA & Revelations we KNEW what NA was going to be about and it was a bait and switch or misdirection about Revelations THAT'S why people are made and i'm glad these people "love it" good for you I didn't "love" or "hate" it I was disappointed so I guess I have to pick a side or what do YOU think I should do?
    well watching NA he-man as a kid "WE" didn't know what it was really going to be about until we watched it.

Also. I am def not a new member (I have been here longer than you ya whipper snapper lol) with an agenda defending revelations. I liked it but it isn't the end all be all of motu.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    well watching NA he-man as a kid "WE" didn't know what it was really going to be about until we watched it.

Also. I am def not a new member (I have been here longer than you ya whipper snapper lol) with an agenda defending revelations. I liked it but it isn't the end all be all of motu.
    Well I was older and read the mini comics so I kinda knew it was coming....

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannalook View Post
    Being a longtime member of he-man . org or having a high post count has ZERO to do with how much of a masters fan a person is , AT ALL ,nor does it make one person's opinion more valid than anothers.
    I watched the cartoon during its last breath when it aired in the late 80's on Agro's Cartoon Connection, but was too young to really remember the mythos set by Filmation, but I knew the characters personalities well. As far as mythos went, i was more familiar with the minicomics, annuals and storybooks which were plentiful at garage sales (yard sales).

My dad was an antique dealer and always a big collector of antique bottles and sevice station (gas station) memorabilia so I went to an auction or Sunday market with him every weekend. I could gurantee I came home with at least one figure, or every now and then a large box of He-Man figures with one or 2 castles as all the older kids were getting rid of their stuff. I managed to do this with $1 a week pocket money as I sold my spares in dad's shop at a profit for about $2 a figure. By the time I was 10, the only toys I was missing from the entire original line were Screech, the Laser figures, Giants, the Eternia Playset and all of the Meteorbs. I didn't need Filmation to know who the characters were as the annuals and mincomics had stories for everyone.

I used to have huge battles where I would have a large enclosed wall of Castle Greyskulls, either as a circle or as a square, and get Skeletor's forces and the Snake Men on ladders to invade, then the Horde would arrive and battle the victor.

Sadly 'my figures' joied the spares I was selling when I hit my teens. By this time my parents were going to swapmeets, which allowed me to put lots of figures out. I remember selling toys to guys in their early 20's, maybe 6 years older than me, who were excited to see figures they never realised existed, like Scareglow, Ninjor and the Sorceress. I wish I knew then what I know now. I've sold the 87 run (asides hard head Faker who I only ever remember having one of) three times over at $2 a piece or less. Many of those figures I am still missing today. I even had a Randor with green plastic armour I have never seen or heard of again.

It was funny to come onto these forums in the early 2000's and see posts about 'discovering new variations' such as different versions of USA/Mexico/Australian Greyskulls and thinking that I'd known about them for years but never felt the need to join the conversation. Just because people don't post, doesn't mean they don't know their stuff. Anything since 1987 doesn't interest me though, as I was hevaily invested in that original world.

It doesn't mean I don't enjoy the new cartoons though. I watched the 2000's series when they came out and loved them, and I even like Revelation. There is a lot of storybook and minicomic influnce in the series and I feel it mixes mythos fairly well. A few things I didn't like, such as Trap Jaw's appearance and the whole techno-cult thing, but the show is pure fun childish enjoyment. Nothing can ruin 1982-1987 MOTU for me. Anything after I can take or leave; like the New Adventures (yuck).

it was a bait and switch or misdirection about Revelations
    Hey, don't drag the Bible into this...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffleman View Post
    I watched the cartoon during its last breath when it aired in the late 80's on Agro's Cartoon Connection, but was too young to really remember the mythos set by Filmation, but I knew the characters personalities well. As far as mythos went, i was more familiar with the minicomics, annuals and storybooks which were plentiful at garage sales (yard sales).

My dad was an antique dealer and always a big collector of antique bottles and sevice station (gas station) memorabilia so I went to an auction or Sunday market with him every weekend. I could gurantee I came home with at least one figure, or every now and then a large box of He-Man figures with one or 2 castles as all the older kids were getting rid of their stuff. I managed to do this with $1 a week pocket money as I sold my spares in dad's shop at a profit for about $2 a figure. By the time I was 10, the only toys I was missing from the entire original line were Screech, the Laser figures, Giants, the Eternia Playset and all of the Meteorbs. I didn't need Filmation to know who the characters were as the annuals and mincomics had stories for everyone.

I used to have huge battles where I would have a large enclosed wall of Castle Greyskulls, either as a circle or as a square, and get Skeletor's forces and the Snake Men on ladders to invade, then the Horde would arrive and battle the victor.

Sadly 'my figures' joied the spares I was selling when I hit my teens. By this time my parents were going to swapmeets, which allowed me to put lots of figures out. I remember selling toys to guys in their early 20's, maybe 6 years older than me, who were excited to see figures they never realised existed, like Scareglow, Ninjor and the Sorceress. I wish I knew then what I know now. I've sold the 87 run (asides hard head Faker who I only ever remember having one of) three times over at $2 a piece or less. Many of those figures I am still missing today. I even had a Randor with green plastic armour I have never seen or heard of again.

It was funny to come onto these forums in the early 2000's and see posts about 'discovering new variations' such as different versions of USA/Mexico/Australian Greyskulls and thinking that I'd known about them for years but never felt the need to join the conversation. Just because people don't post, doesn't mean they don't know their stuff. Anything since 1987 doesn't interest me though, as I was hevaily invested in that original world.

It doesn't mean I don't enjoy the new cartoons though. I watched the 2000's series when they came out and loved them, and I even like Revelation. There is a lot of storybook and minicomic influnce in the series and I feel it mixes mythos fairly well. A few things I didn't like, such as Trap Jaw's appearance and the whole techno-cult thing, but the show is pure fun childish enjoyment. Nothing can ruin 1982-1987 MOTU for me. Anything after I can take or leave; like the New Adventures (yuck).
    Great read, thanks for sharing your story.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Heroic Warrior Master of Disguise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Hey, don't drag the Bible into this...
    I agree, John the Apostle and the Most High should not even be associated with this joke, Satan on the other hand.

Last edited by Master of Disguise; August 1, 2021 at 08:36am.
    Go Home And Be A Family He-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by 80slady View Post
    LOL, it didn't succeed. It was cancelled.

it was also awful. teela was constantly unlikable (and no, she isn't in Revelation). She was a bully and a hag to Adam for the entirety of the MYP He-Man, and there's no way someone who could find literally anyone else would want her, so the Adam/Teela implied stuff was hilarious but nah.

Everyone on that Eternia was a jerk except Orko.

So nah, I will take Revelation literally every day over the snoozefest/jerkfest that was MYP He-Man.

LOL at 2002 Teela being likable though. Lord, what an outright lie.
    My friend, being able to grasp perspectives outside your own is a strength, not a weakness. I have faith you'll get there someday!

Mod Reminder: Let's play nice, gang. Keep discussion on-topic, off personal remarks, and respectful, and constructive.

MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    So, old news: my daughter and I love the series.

Today though, my wife, a very casual fan of MOTU at most, turned to me in the car with the look she usually gives me before asking me to fix/do/plan/correct/accomplish something, and says, “If like to watch the new Masters cartoon again.”

I’m so happy.
    That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you. I hope people who found little of value in previous series will see more of themselves reflected in the interpersonal conflicts and resolution of Revelations.

And it's always nice to have another way to bond with your family members. It's nice when you can engage in your passions and share them with your loved ones.

OMG... I've been proselytizing for weeks now about Kevin Smith's religious background. I can't BELIEVE I didn't realize the "Book of Revelations" with our new cartoon title until now. ::slams head on desk::

Well I was older and read the mini comics so I kinda knew it was coming....
    yeah I read them too but the mini comics were still pretty dif than the cartoon. lol

I don't get the bait and switch though. Literally from the original announcement at powercon they told us what the show was. I was there, this is the picture I took. I would say it accurately describes Revelations.

68600290_10162075711995297_3908513964136333312_n.jpg
    cogito ergo doleo

Heroic Warrior
    Exactly. That's what I find hilarious about the whole thing, and I'm glad that someone has come out and said it because not as many people bring this up as should. We were told what was going to happen two years ago. I guess people, what, forgot?
    Last edited by Krueger; August 1, 2021 at 02:03pm.

The "bait and switch" thing is nonsense fabricated and perpetuated by YouTubers who feed on outrage. But there's still no denying that Kevin Smith's PR game was weak.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
    The "bait and switch" thing is nonsense fabricated and perpetuated by YouTubers who feed on outrage. But there's still no denying that Kevin Smith's PR game was weak.
    This is how I see it as well. It was perfectly clear the direction of the show. That’s separate from all the dumb decisions made by Smith as far as PR goes. But that’s him and how he rolls. I try to tune out these people and just watch and judge on my own.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    yeah I read them too but the mini comics were still pretty dif than the cartoon. lol

I don't get the bait and switch though. Literally from the original announcement at powercon they told us what the show was. I was there, this is the picture I took. I would say it accurately describes Revelations.

There were some fans who raised a few eyebrows at He-Man and Skeletor disappearing and Teela having to get them back, but I think it was limited to MOTU fans. Even ClownfishTV covered Power Con and knew about this. IIRC, they expressed fears about current year trends appearing, but were still pretty hopeful about the show. They were hopeful because it wasn't like Netflix She-Ra. Some media sites initially attacked Revelations at the beginning because it wasn't a current year reinvention like Netflix She-Ra was.

The big problem was that person who read a Revelations script leaked it to ClownfishTV making the show sound like it had an agenda and how Kevin Smith denied those rumors and said that He-Man was the main character, that he doesn't step aside and that Teela and Andra aren't lovers. These two things really blew everything up.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 1, 2021 at 03:52pm.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I've been on holiday with a flaky internet connection, so I'm a little late to the party with Revelation...

For what it's worth, I though it was brilliant.

I haven't read all the criticisms of it. After shaking my head for years over the way the Last Jedi and the new She-Ra cartoon have been treated, I try my best to avoid negative and poisonous opinions. They only make me angry, and I'm getting too old to be angry. I was nine when the FILMation series was on TV. I watched it religiously, because of course I did. But I never thought it was as good as its contemporaries: I may have liked MOTU more but Dungeons & Dragons, Centurions, Spider-Man and even Thundercats were much better cartoons. At least in my opinion. So I wasn't looking for a sequel to that old cartoon, and to be honest I wasn't expecting it to be.

Putting Teela front and centre of the cartoon was an inspired move. She's always been one of the most interesting characters in MOTU; there's a lot to Teela... there's the predictable Clark Kent-Superman-Lois Lane triangle, but there's also the mystery of where she came from, her sense of responsibility, her role as captain of the palace guard, the identity of her mother, and her ultimate destiny as the new sorceress of Grayskull. Regardless of what version of the MOTU canon is your favourite, Teela is a character that has always had weight. I'm not sure there's another heroic warrior that the story told in Revelation could hang off as successfully. It had to be Teela.

And her reaction to finally learning Adam's secret was perfect. How would you feel if you'd had the rug pulled away from under you as comprehensively as Teela had in that episode? Not only has she discovered that she has been lied to all her life by the people she loved and trusted the most, but she can't grieve over the death of her best friend.

And it's not as if He-Man isn't in it. Even in his absence the story is about him. He makes that Messianic sacrifice in episode one, and then he's in every other episode either in flashback or as Adam. And this is only the first five episodes of a longer story! At most we're just half-way through the story. And it's a story that's left us in a really interesting place. Skeletor has won, Adam can't turn into He-Man... how do the good guys turn that around? I can't wait to find out.

Just as I haven't had the time to read all the posts in this long, long thread, I'm sure that my opinion will disappear into the morass. And that's fine. The truth is that there have been many different versions of MOTU over the years... Revelation is just one more. And there's room for all the stories. This new cartoon doesn't invalidate the old FILMation series, or the MYP reboot, or the Classics bios. It's just different. And if none of the versions of MOTU we've had in the last 40 years is your perfect version, then I'm sure there will be another reboot in another few years.

Yep... but, even with factual proof, people are just going to shift their hate elsewhere... if it's no longer bait-n-switch, then it moves to race swap, then to Teela shaving her head, then to characters dying, then to the writing, blah, blah, blah...

If people don't like it, that's totally their prerogative, but for them to call the show a failure based on imagined, paper thin reasoning and outright fallacy is wrong.

I firmly believe that 90% of the vitriol on this board and others wouldn't exist without slime-pit, influencers filling people's heads with mis-information - then sending them out to review-bomb and incite hatred toward something that a lot of people worked extremely hard on (and I mean fact-checking, and adhering to lore type work...)

This show is good. Even without the MOTU brand, it would be a fun adventure show with high-stakes...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    There were some fans who raised a few eyebrows at He-Man and Skeletor disappearing and Teela having to get them back, but I think it was limited to MOTU fans. Even ClownfishTV covered Power Con and knew about this. IIRC, they expressed fears about current year trends appearing, but were still pretty hopeful about the show. They were hopeful because it wasn't like Netflix She-Ra. Some media sites initially attacked Revelations at the beginning because it wasn't a current year reinvention like Netflix She-Ra was.

The big problem was that person who read a Revelations script leaked it to ClownfishTV making the show sound like it had an agenda and how Kevin Smith denied those rumors and said that He-Man was the main character, that he doesn't step aside and that Teela and Andra aren't lovers. These two things really blew everything up.
    So basically the leaker blew things out of proportion to clownfish and clownfish decided to run with the outrage for clicks.

So in the above you mentioned what did Smith full out lie about?

He-man isn't the main character
    - He-man is still the main character, or at least the main plot device to which everyone is focused on. Even dead his presence/loss is felt amongst all the characters. Even with allll of that can we blame the creators of the show not wanting to spoil the fact the HM/Skeletor die in the first episode? Movies and shows tell half truths all the time but I think this is the thing they point to when they say "SMITH LIED!" but let's see how the full season plays out.

He-man stepping aside
    - Well he died so in theory there is a power vacuum but we have not seen anyone else become HM or even a female protector, which is what I am sure was really the issue people were riled up about.

Andra/Teela
    - Yeah we haven't seen that at all so blatantly false.

So the outrage youtubers wrap all the anger about lesbian relationships, females taking the lead and wrap it in the half truth of HM not being the main focus and say "Well if he lied about this what ELSE did he lie about!?!? Find out by clicking the link!"
    cogito ergo doleo

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
    I think a lot of the bait and switch accusations wouldn't be so heated if it weren't for that "Holding out for a hero" trailer. Most people don't attend Powercon (or even know about it), so going in cold to that trailer, and then seeing He-Man die after 20 minutes in the first episode, was probably quite a shock.

STOP moving the goal posts.

Many of us saw the presentation at power con and raised the red flag when we read the Teela focused description. Then they spent the last year and half lying to our faces trying to reassure us that He-Man was still the main character. If they said they were doing a spin off show from the get go nobody would have been upset but then again nobody would have watched this stinky spin off. They needed to do a bait and switch to hook people in.

The main bait and switch was that Kevin Smith said the show was "literally all about He-Man" which turned out not to be true. The show was mostly about Teela and He-Man was relegated to little more than a mcguffin. Half the footage of He-Man turned out to be faker and that illusion from Scareglow. It was false advertising akin to buying a Hamburger off the menu and getting a salad instead.

They said it was a sequel and then walked it back and claimed they couldn't legally do a sequel to Filmation. Teela turned out not be the same Teela many of us remember. They butchered both her appearance and personality. The old school Teela never would have abandoned her duty. They Butchered characters to prop up Teela's role as the Hero of masters. King Randor never would have banished Mat-at-arms. This literally was the "everything you know is wrong" version of masters. They killed off beloved characters just for shock value alone. Revelations is total dumpster fire and not what anybody expected. Go back 100+ pages and read all the denialist comments. Far from being clickbait, Clownfish was right. People just don't want to admit it.

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post

Many of us saw the presentation at power con and raised the red flag when we read the Teela focused description. Then they spent the last year and half lying to our faces trying to reassure us that He-Man was still the main character. If they said they were doing a spin off show from the get go nobody would have been upset but then again nobody would have watched this stinky spin off. They needed to do a bait and switch to hook people in.

The main bait and switch was that Kevin Smith said the show was "literally all about He-Man" which turned out not to be true. The show was mostly about Teela and He-Man was relegated to little more than a mcguffin. Half the footage of He-Man turned out to be faker and that illusion from Scareglow. It was false advertising akin to buying a Hamburger off the menu and getting a salad instead.

They said it was a sequel and then walked it back and claimed they couldn't legally do a sequel to Filmation. Teela turned out not be the same Teela many of us remember. They butchered both her appearance and personality. The old school Teela never would have abandoned her duty. They Butchered characters to prop up Teela's role as the Hero of masters. King Randor never would have banished Mat-at-arms. This literally was the "everything you know is wrong" version of masters. They killed off beloved characters just for shock value alone. Revelations is total dumpster fire and not what anybody expected. Go back 100+ pages and read all the denialist comments. Far from being clickbait, Clownfish was right. People just don't want to admit it.
    IMO people like Clownfish are the ones moving goal posts more than anyone else.

Clownfish was right about a few surface level issues. I'm not fully defending Kevin Smith on how he handled some things along the way - he did make some mistakes IMO. But the way people (including, but not limited to Clownfish) are still responding to that, you would think he personally, individually, and directly insulted all of their mothers.

Meanwhile Clownfish keeps making video after video grasping at straws to try and make the whole thing look worse than it is. Anytime there's some minor thing they can use as an excuse to make another 20-30 minute video, they do so under the guise of "We thought we were done talking about this... but....", as if someone has a gun held to their head forcing them to talk about it.

I watched their so-called "review" of the show, and some of the things that they tried to make issues out of were laughable. They act like Randor's comment about Parental Pride to Adam was some agenda driven thing shoe-horned into the show to prop up Teela and make him look bad by comparison. But Randor's disappointment in Adam (much, but not all, of which was Adam putting on an act to keep his secret) was very much present in both the Filmation and 200X shows. It is right there from the beginning of the first episode of 200X when Adam is missing from his own bday party, and Teela brings him in saying that she found him napping in the stables. But Clownfish, who claim to be big fans of the previous cartoons, don't bring up that aspect of the previous shows, and act like this is something entirely new.

Also in their review, they say that Teela and Andra are obviously a couple. I've watched all 5 episodes 3 times now. People are reading WAY TOO MUCH into a few glances and what little physical contact they have. There's no evidence of this. Teela's hair cut does not dictate her sexual preference. Plus Evil Lyn even says that Teela is still "carrying a torch" for Adam/He-Man (something they conveniently don't mention in their review).

Clownfish also tried to frame Castle Grayskull being the Hall of Wisdom in disguise as part of *** agenda, because now they have to "take Castle Grayskull away." It was just a slightly new spin on an already existing plot element that was used in 200X. And while Castle Grayskull was a separate location from the Hall of Wisdom in 200X, the Elders forming the orb and placing it there is what gave it the power that it hid away, arguably making the castle little more than a shell that the happened to hide it in, thereby "taking away" some of what made the castle special and mysterious in the original cartoon series (I'm not saying that I feel this way, but the point is that the same argument that they are making now can easily be applied to previous incarnations that came out long before the kind of agendas they are fighting against were really even a thing).

And they go on to conclude that this show is somehow worse than the Netflix She-Ra show in terms of pushing modern agendas because "at least She-Ra was in every episode," which is extraordinarily laughable. That show was VERY agenda driven, very much cannibalizing a well known property for that purpose, and being very unapologetic about it. Like it or hate it (and I have a few criticisms myself despite liking it overall) MOTU Revelation at least pays a lot of attention to the source material. My criticisms of Randor and Teela's reactions at the end of the first episode aside (I wasn't thrilled with either of them), the show starts out with all of the recognizable elements firmly in place, with a lot of attention to detail. Any changes happen as a result of the events of the show and the time jump. Netflix She-Ra didn't pay nearly as much attention to detail. It did with some aspects, but in general it did a lot more to put it's own very agenda-drive spin on things from the get-go. Between the two shows, I'd much rather watch a show with a lot of love for the source material that spends most of it's time focused on secondary characters than one that has the lead character there in every episode, but makes many aspects almost unrecognizable.

If someone doesn't like this show because He-Man isn't in it enough, that is fair. I can understand that point of view. And yes, the things could have been handled better in how it was promoted.

But the people raging against it are blowing things WAY out of proportion. They refuse to see the forest through the trees, they take any comment made by Kevin Smith and find some way to twist it and assume the worst possible meaning out of it (i.e. video titled "Kevin Smith melts down on live stream" in regards to a live stream that I watched and nothing that he says comes remotely close to being a melt down).

The ironic reality is that a lot of these people are behaving a lot like the sorts of people they are supposedly trying to speak out against. They hate when people with certain agendas take to twitter, criticize things for not being progressive enough, hold grudges over things celebrities said (be it recently or years/decades ago) to the point of acting like the person should never work again, and will just never let the smallest things go.

Given all of the controversy leading up to this, I was half expecting this show to be an agenda-driven mess upon watching it. But upon doing so, I found that any issues are largely non-issues. I'm not saying that there aren't a few arguable elements (mostly King Grayskull's race swap), but they are largely benign. Yeah, I'm not thrilled with Teela's redesign either. Like it or hate it, a lot of characters got new looks after the time jump. Teela is just one of them.

It's fair for some MOTU fans to just not like or be thrilled with this interpretation of the property. Not everyone liked 200X when it came out. But to act like this is the biggest modern agenda-driven travesty in all of entertainment is absurd.

IMO the real problem here is that several youtubers like Clownfish, based on what little info they had, built this up to the the next Ghostbusters 2016 or Netflix She-Ra. But it really isn't anything like either of those things. But they have an audience expecting a certain type of take on this. If they had come out and said, "it really isn't that bad," they would have looked foolish for all of the negative build up. So either they are purposely being disingenuous in order to give their audience what they expect, or they got themselves so convinced of how awful it would be that they focused in on blowing certain things out of proportion, convincing themselves that what they were seeing is far worse than it really is, or some combo of the two. Either way, it's not a good look.

At this point, Clownfish knows exactly what they are doing each time they put up ANOTHER motu video. No one is forcing them to do it. They can easily move on to other topics. But they know this is a hot topic right now and will get views, so they run with it. There are many things that they've covered in the past that I've agreed with them on, and they do have some legit reason to be frustrated with Kevin Smith, but I've lost A LOT of respect for them in how they've handled this whole situation. Any error on the part of Kevin Smith and/or Netflix in the promotion and explanation of this show is not some kind of free pass for anyone frustrated over it to act like completely unreasonable lunatics in response to it.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; August 2, 2021 at 08:17am.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    No, you stop moving the goal posts. Do I need to quote the "keep the same energy" post for you? I bookmarked it precisely, because I knew this would happen.

Many of us saw the presentation at power con and raised the red flag when we read the Teela focused description.
    Where are the posts? Show the receipts.

Then they spent the last year and half lying to our faces trying to reassure us that He-Man was still the main character.
    He-Man is the main character.

If they said they were doing a spin off show from the get go nobody would have been upset but then again nobody would have watched this stinky spin off.
    It is not a spin-off.

They needed to do a bait and switch to hook people in.
    It is not a bait-and-switch:

The main bait and switch was that Kevin Smith said the show was "literally all about He-Man" which turned out not to be true.
    Because it is literally is all about He-Man.

The show was mostly about Teela and He-Man was relegated to little more than a mcguffin. Half the footage of He-Man turned out to be faker and that illusion from Scareglow. It was false advertising akin to buying a Hamburger off the menu and getting a salad instead.
    I bet you expect your hamburger to look exactly as it appears in the commercial too.

They said it was a sequel and then walked it back and claimed they couldn't legally do a sequel to Filmation.
    It was describied as "a continuation of the '80s classic," which it is. And a "spriritual sequel" to the Filmation series, because it "continues those storylines," which it is and it does.

Teela turned out not be the same Teela many of us remember. They butchered both her appearance and personality. The old school Teela never would have abandoned her duty. They Butchered characters to prop up Teela's role as the Hero of masters. King Randor never would have banished Mat-at-arms. This literally was the "everything you know is wrong" version of masters. They killed off beloved characters just for shock value alone.
    Perhaps many of your memories are not all that accurate. These characters have never been put in these situations before, so you have no idea how they would act.

Revelations is total dumpster fire and not what anybody expected. Go back 100+ pages and read all the denialist comments. Far from being clickbait, Clownfish was right. People just don't want to admit it.
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation being in the top five most-watched programs worldwide for over a week suggests that is not the case. Evidently, most people decided to watch it for themselves, and form their own opinion, instead of having it given to them by the clowns at ClownfishTV. And not only did they watch it, but they kept watching, and rewatched it, and recommended it to others. There are 232 pages in this thread, and much of them are filled with denialist comments from people who stopped posting when this did not turn out to be the catastrophy they predicted. Jokes on them.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I've been on holiday with a flaky internet connection, so I'm a little late to the party with Revelation...

For what it's worth, I though it was brilliant.
    Glad you liked it; I guess personal perspective plays a big role in how this show ultimately resonates with any individual viewer. Bt maybe we can agree that it wasn't a complete success with the entire fan base. And I guess that's a point worth discussing.

Putting Teela front and centre of the cartoon was an inspired move. She's always been one of the most interesting characters in MOTU; there's a lot to Teela... there's the predictable Clark Kent-Superman-Lois Lane triangle, but there's also the mystery of where she came from, her sense of responsibility, her role as captain of the palace guard, the identity of her mother, and her ultimate destiny as the new sorceress of Grayskull. Regardless of what version of the MOTU canon is your favourite, Teela is a character that has always had weight. I'm not sure there's another heroic warrior that the story told in Revelation could hang off as successfully. It had to be Teela.
    Ok, that I will disagree with. It's something that is happening all over the place, especially over the past couple of years. I would go as fas as calling it a clichée at this point. Star Wars, Star Trek, Mad Max, MCU, presumably Bond (if rumors are to be believed), etc. There is a very obvious push in Hollywood to not only focus more on female protagonists (which I think is great), but to do it atop existing franchises, often at the cost of previously established male protagonist. It's one of the things that really ticked me off about MOTU:R.

And her reaction to finally learning Adam's secret was perfect. How would you feel if you'd had the rug pulled away from under you as comprehensively as Teela had in that episode? Not only has she discovered that she has been lied to all her life by the people she loved and trusted the most, but she can't grieve over the death of her best friend.
    Again, we can agree to disagree. To me, the realistic reaction would have been one of shock, sadness and then eventually some form of dissapointment and anger. Bursting out like she did made zero sense *to me* - especially since she kept it up all the way through the first five episodes, i.e. months or even years. At some point the sadness over losing a friend would outweigh her hurt ego, no?

The main point being, that good writing does not lead to these types of arguments. If you write a good protagonist, the majority of your target audience will be able to identify themselves with that character. And with Teela, going by all the heated discussions, this was not achieved. Ergo, not exactly good writing.
    Last edited by Lasastard; August 2, 2021 at 02:42am.