Page 318 of 323 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318319320 ... LastLast
Results 7,926 to 7,950 of 8065

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

  1. #7926
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,272
    Author unknown.

    I'm sure that's how we all played as kids.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

  2. #7927
    Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Jersey born and raised!
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I will say that in my opinion, Teela becoming the Sorceress but NOT being bound to Castle Grayskull - basically because she "just didn't feel like it" - was incredibly rushed and not very well-explained. I did expect her story to end in such a fashion with her not having the same limits as her mother, BUT I thought they would at least do some bare-minimum explaining of it. So that was disappointing.
    For me I totally understood it. Teela said as Sorceress, she is not just going to stand by and protect the power, but she is going to use the power... like He-Man or what's bestowed on Battle Cat and Skelegod. "We have the power." And people who use the power are not tethered to Castle Grayskull. But I can't criticize anyone for wanting more

    Also, I did have some issues with a lot of the dialog throughout all ten episodes. Not all of it was "bad" but a lot of it needed some polish at minimum.
    Wow, we couldn't be on more opposite ends on this one. I felt the dialogue was the best we've ever heard in MOTU by far. I was blown away by it.

    Evil-Lyn probably did get off way too light, also.
    That's fair. Although abused since childhood, one can interpret she was banished or banished herself so to speak. And it certainly would be He-Man's way not to kill her or lock her up.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

  3. #7928
    Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    428
    I actually liked the first half better. This, in the end, is a solid “meh” for me. It had some really great moments, but I don’t see a need for another season with how this ended up. I don’t personally have any interest in watching further episodes of this iteration. I gave it a fair shot though.

  4. #7929
    Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,369
    I think the series overall was great. While I thought the first five episodes were nearly perfect, I was slightly disappointed by the second half. It felt rushed and there were so many twists and turns that I feel like it would have worked better if it was stretched out over more episodes. But I was pleasantly surprised that the story went in a different direction than I was expecting.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

  5. #7930
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,629
    I can just think of a ton of times where if the Sorceress DID have the power to NOT be bound to Grayskull, she would have used it. Retroactively, it makes all of her many instances of non-involvement a CHOICE and not a limitation, which reframes the entire story surrounding her character. Times where she "couldn't" intervene, now have to be seen as "She COULD have, but just didn't feel like it." And I feel like that affects her negatively.

    I mean, granted, a ton of the lore surrounding anything "magical" in MOTU is very ill-defined as a rule. SO MUCH of the mythos was blatantly made up as people went along, to the point where tons of it can't be reconciled even with later/earlier versions of its own self, thus the need for so many disparate iterations of the same brand. On the positive side, this is why I don't have much problem with some of the ways in which this show "breaks the rules"; most of those "rules" were barely ever even guidelines to begin with. So this show can do its own thing, that's fine.

    BUT, "The Sorceress is bound to Grayskull" is relatively "hard canon" compared to other stuff. Not, "She CHOOSES not to leave", but rather, "She CAN'T leave". That's not a tiny thing to suddenly change without bothering to give any reason How.

    Again, I did totally expect they'd make Teela the new Sorceress AND make her not bound to Grayskull... mostly because having her stuck in the castle forevermore seriously limits what kinds of stuff they can do with her going forward, if they get to do more. So I knew/expected they'd find a way to not have her be tethered to the castle. I just felt like the "explanation" for it was... well, not really much of an explanation. She basically says "I'm rewriting the rules!" and the universe or whatever just says "Okay"? I kinda don't think so.

    Either way, some work was needed here. If I could change only one thing about Part 2, I would have dropped in like two lines of dialog to explain How/Why Teela isn't bound to the Castle, or why her mother THOUGHT she was since apparently she wasn't. More than anything else, that felt to me like "We ran out of time, so we're not gonna explain it, just roll with it." But it was SO easily fixable, that's the thing. Just say SOMETHING. "The fact that her father was a regular human being means her magic works differently", or something, I don't know. It's just too big of a thing to drop on people and walk away.

    You can't just pull an "Everything You Know Is Wrong!" and then leave the room. It undermines the cool thing you're trying to do by forcing people to confront the fact that it kinda doesn't make sense as-presented.

    As for the dialog, I can't think of any specific examples I just know I sighed a couple of times. But then I am really particular about dialog just in general. Wasn't really "bad", just a little clunky in spots. Especially with Andra being "Captain Exposition" constantly. I know that was essentially her role in the entire show but at times it was a bit forced.

    Not to come off as overly negative or anything. I'm just saying that these were the very few things that I look back on and jump out at me as needing another pass. More than anything, the fact that things that were SO easy to fix were not is what bothers me more.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  6. #7931
    Lord of Darkkbricks Darkkosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    1,870
    I've finished watching the second part of this convoluted mess last night hoping it would be better than what I've anticipated but sadly I was disappointed.

    The animation in general was beautiful and the animated sequences were also good and entertaining for the most part when they happen. As for the voice acting, I'd say it was courageous and decent, and even brilliant at times by some of the seasoned actors, however the actual script was largely terrible and the overall story was even worse!

    I'm not sure how this mess will be like when the Horde start joining the party!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

  7. #7932
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayskullPrime View Post
    I would answer you but this guy gets exactly why I said it basically negates the lore and already typed it out and I’ll just quote him:
    Hey thanks! I was worried that no one was going to respond to any of what I said, because these are legitimate questions I have. Am I misinterpreting the show? Or does it mean that anyone can call down the Power as soon as they grab the sword?

    I need to watch it again, but were there any rules established as to use of the Power during the entire series? I noticed that Evil-Lyn still retained her buff look even after she lost the sword. Did she not need it anymore because the stars had aligned?

    If not, does that mean that the Power of the Champion (He-Man) is the exact same as the Power of the Sorceress? If not, then why didn't He-Man just reabsorb it from her? If so, then again, why bother with having a He-Man in the first place? Especially if you can just change the rules as Sorceress and leave Grayskull.

    Speaking of which, wasn't Lyn STILL the Sorceress of Grayskull during the fight? Wouldn't she have also been bound to the castle if she was still drawing on that power, unless she also circumvented the rule when she powered up?

    Also, if the Champion's power flows through the Sorceress, then why didn't Lyn or Teela just depower Skeletor themselves? (or why didn't Lyn just depower He-Man, come to think of it?).



    Come on guys, I need some help here to make sense of it all.

  8. #7933
    Heroic Warrior Man-E-Beers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CA Coast
    Posts
    613
    My goodness did this show disappoint. Just awful! Animation was good, voice actors were hit and miss (especially Teela). Only redeeming part of the storyline was who Teela's father is and how heroic Gringer is. The LOTR rip-offs were laughable! Really, Orko the White! Me and my family laughed at that! The whole Evil-Lyn powered up deal was a joke! I have to stop here because there's so much wrong with this show.
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

  9. #7934
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    28
    People are gonna hate no matter what! After reading these comments I'm not even gonna bother.

  10. #7935
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,629
    I wonder if opinions will soften towards this show retroactively when it becomes painfully clear in a few years' time that this was the last "Classic Coke"-style MOTU animated series we're ever going to receive?

    It's definitely a shame that the show has gotten, and continues to get, such an overwhelmingly negative response. The "why" doesn't ultimately matter; what matters is, in the years and decades to come, the show's final legacy will be one of failure. That bothers me, but it is what it is. More people loathe it than love it; or at the very least, those who love it aren't showing up to support it as powerfully as those who hate it are working to shout it down. At the end of the day, history is written by the winners, and in the case of this show, the people who hated it are the overwhelming "winners". Even if they're not the numerical majority - and I actually do think they are, for whatever reasons they have - they're louder if nothing else.

    The unfortunate side effect of that being, I'm pretty sure it's the last cartoon we'll ever get that bears any resemblance at all to the original MOTU aesthetic. Partly BECAUSE this show was such a failure. What I'm expecting to happen is that Netflix, Mattel and the other "powers that be" simply decide that "MOTU isn't popular in its 'old-school' form". First they'll quietly cancel Masterverse, then Origins. With Masterverse, they'll say that since the show and the line were so intertwined, despite their goals to branch out into other areas of MOTU lore, the show not being a bigger hit forced them to end the line. With "Origins", they'll simply say the line ran its course and remind everyone that it had already gone on longer than initially planned.

    In turn, Netflix and Mattel will put 100% of their focus behind the CGI reboot. To some degree, this is already happening at retail; in my area, practically overnight both Origins and Masterverse are completely GONE from store shelves with only the CGI show's toys in their place. That tells me a lot about what Mattel's long-term plans are for the MOTU brand, and which horse they're truly backing. As I always suspected, both Origins and Revelation were always meant to be "one last gift" for the older fans, before the original "naked barbarian" aesthetic that everyone claims doesn't sell anymore was retired in favor of New Coke-flavor MOTU, which Mattel and Netflix most likely see as far more marketable to current-year audiences.

    You can try and convince me that's not what Mattel planned for or is doing; to that, all I can say is "I simply do not believe you."

    Problem is, I'm not sure the CGI reboot is a big hit, either (and even if it is, I'm not interested in it so it doesn't affect me personally either way). So if THAT doesn't take off, it's not a far leap from "Old-school MOTU doesn't sell anymore" to "MOTU just doesn't sell anymore, period." At which point, the brand goes back on the shelf for another period of long "hibernation"... except I'm not sure anyone will bother to wake it up again.

    So again... in 5-10 years when the reality sinks in that, for better or worse, "Revelation" was the last time we'll ever see the original MOTU aesthetic in animated form... I wonder if people will then appreciate it more, and wish they'd been less critical when they had the chance and just enjoyed it for what it was.

    I guess we'll find out eventually.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  11. #7936
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I think it's just the difference between fans who grew up with He-man being the main character vs people who are OK with him being a secondary character to a (has to be) "female" character.
    I don't think he was ever truly secondary, at least in last six or so episodes, he was front and centre in different forms and his presence and legacy is what informs and motivates everyone including Teela to change and grow. It's all equal to me.

  12. #7937
    Heroic Warrior ProteinNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post

    The "why" doesn't ultimately matter; what matters is, in the years and decades to come, the show's final legacy will be one of failure.
    That’s where I disagree. I think the “why” it’s a failure is the most important thing to be learned here. It failed because it clearly didn’t deliver what the majority of casual fans wanted from a He-Man reboot. They wanted He-Man.

    If they learn this lesson and try to reboot it again in 10 years time maybe then it has a chance to succeed.

  13. #7938
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,629
    I'm saying it matters less because peoples' opinions are all over the place about why they hated it or why it was "a bad show".

    I go on Facebook, I'm seeing people say "I knew it was a bad show as soon as they made Teela gay!" except they didn't even DO that. Just for one example. Some people have valid (or semi-valid) reasons for not liking This or That but plenty of other people are just plain making things up because it suits them.

    Some people say "not enough He-Man". Some people say "the writing was bad" (and look, I love Filmation but I don't think anyone could claim it was Shakespeare, even compared to This Show). Some people say it's bad because of "the W word" influencing the creative decisions. I'm seeing a lot of different reasons given. Some make some sense, some don't make any sense at all.

    The only constants I've seen online are 1. MOST people hate the show, and 2. A lot of the spelling and grammar from the most negative comments is laughable at best. But I'm not seeing a TON of concrete reasoning being given as to why it's "a bad show". Not consistently enough to call it a consensus, anyways.

    I do think more He-Man would have helped SOME but I'm not convinced that was enough in and of itself to have "saved" this show. People have seemed pretty hellbent from the beginning on finding SOME thing to hate about it, to the point where they even make things up just to support their opinion. If it were as simple as "Not enough He-Man" they wouldn't bother doing that.

    I don't know. I think it's a bit more complicated than "Just Add More He-Man." How does that address the issues so many people claim to have with "the writing"? Or things like Teela and Randor being rather jerkish at times? Or the fact that so many people WANTED it to be a "real" Filmation sequel when it 100% absolutely is not that?

    That's why I'm saying "The 'Why' doesn't matter, it only matters that the show failed." Because the people who hate it can't even agree on "why". So in the grand scheme of things, it's less important than the fact that most people hated it, regardless of reasons.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  14. #7939
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    69
    Folk just need to treat it like Batman already.

    Let each iteration be what it is.

  15. #7940
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,629
    That might be healthier, but I'm not sure it's legal.

    Pretty sure that if you don't periodically show proof that you're either 1. Ranting way too hard about things you shouldn't care so much about, or 2. Looking at naked people, eventually someone gives you a lifetime ban from the Internet for improper use of resources.

    You HAVE to do one or the other or you don't get to be online anymore, that's how it was explained to me. Thankfully, I've got a ton of credit for #2 so I'm safe even if I run out of things to go all #1 about.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  16. #7941
    Heroic Warrior ProteinNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    515
    Think back to the original teaser trailer. That thing was universally loved, it literally had millions of views within a few hours. I was convinced this was going to push MotU back into the mainstream, millions of people were absolutely psyched to watch He-Man fighting Skeletor, I think its pretty clear what people wanted and were excited for….and then we got what we got.

    Look I ended up enjoying part 2 for what it was despite hating part 1. Overall I doubt I’ll ever watch it again and I cant help but think it was a massive missed opportunity.

    I’m happy for those that love it and will keep enjoying it but I cant help but notice that virtually none of the normies even care enough about it to leave either a positive or negative review. Even critics cant be bothered to review it.


    Only 7 critics and 277 viewers bothered to leave a review so far for part 2 vs part 1 with 47 critics and 6917…thats a MASSIVE loss of interest.

    At least we have the CGI show….

  17. #7942
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,629
    That's definitely bad - and it certainly implies that this is the end of the line for this iteration of MOTU - but I'm pretty sure all the hype in advance of Part 1 on either side was inflated. It all had a lot to do with people wanting to be "part of a moment", more than any genuine feelings of care or concern about the He-Man character.

    It's like how in Real Life, nobody actually cares about Superman. Nobody talks about the character, his ongoing storylines don't get any attention at all because nobody reads anymore, etc. But then when a movie comes out, suddenly a billion people "were ALWAYS huge fans!", know exactly how the movie "SHOULD have been done", and are overall "experts" on the character. Their "fandom" more or less equates to having watched a couple old movies when they were kids, and nothing since, but still... they are "experts", and they care A LOT... all of a sudden, when it gives them an opportunity to make some noise and get some attention, if only for a moment.

    Like, did so many critics and "fans" HONESTLY give a flying rat's behind about He-Man all of a sudden back in July? Or rather, were they all trying to get a little ink and provide a little bit of their own commentary about the latest pop culture artefact being weaponized in the ongoing Culture Wars? Were they commenting because they were compelled, or because it was "trending"?

    Until July, I hadn't heard or seen more than ten people at a time outside of this forum even TALK about He-Man ever since I was a kid. So I know what I think happened. I DON'T think a ton of "lapsed fans" all suddenly came out of the woodwork with their Very Strong Opinions, suddenly remembering that they were "huge fans and had always been huge fans", and decided to write reviews and/or leave User comments en masse. I think a lot of people just saw something becoming a topic of conversation and jumped on it because it momentarily made them feel like they were contributing to the zeitgeist in some small way.

    So while these new numbers are dismal... I kind of think they're more "authentic" than the amount of attention we saw back in July. It's not "trendy" to either praise nor vilify the show and its creators anymore, so we're seeing less chatter about it across the board. People moved on, and we're left with only the ones who "actually" care still bothering to review/comment. And that's a small number, relatively speaking.

    As for any hopes that this show (or ANY show) would suddenly make MOTU popular again to "millions of people"... man, I wish I still had that kind of idealism and hope. Or maybe I don't... I can see how it might be occasionally uplifting but I can't help but find it unrealistic, and the disappointment would just be soul-crushing if I bothered to entertain such notions as being possible. I say this with love since it's pretty much My Favorite Thing Ever, but MOTU isn't actually all that popular and hasn't been for ages. And if there was any "magic bullet" to get it back to pre-1987 levels of acclaim, I certainly never expected this show to be that. Those are some pretty lofty expectations.

    Frankly, I think the most popular MOTU can be or ever will be again is Right Now. What we've had for the past year or so is already beyond my wildest dreams... and yet, I also think that too has peaked and it's all downhill from here. I can't quite explain it, but the wind has shifted recently, even before Part 2 of Revelation came out, and it makes me feel like this "Second Golden Age" of MOTU is all of a sudden a lot closer to the end than the beginning.

    I guess that's the natural order of things. "The only constant in the universe is Entropy", and all that. Just kinda makes me sad.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  18. #7943
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    23,658
    Kevin Smith Hopes that ‘Masters of the Universe: Revelation’ Part 2 Sticks the Landing

    The showrunner of Netflix’s animated throwback weighs in on Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, and what that big teaser ending means for the future of the series.

    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...rt-2-interview

  19. #7944
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Kevin Smith Hopes that ‘Masters of the Universe: Revelation’ Part 2 Sticks the Landing

    The showrunner of Netflix’s animated throwback weighs in on Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, and what that big teaser ending means for the future of the series.

    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...rt-2-interview
    This part is fair

    But it did leave us in this position where we broke all the toys, and they didn't know that they were fixed in the next five. So instead, we had to take a lot of heat. Some cats literally thought we killed Orko. In retrospect, I wish all ten had gone up because then it would've negated all that. I'm not saying releasing all ten would've made everyone love it. I'm sure there'd still be some people who are like, "I don't like it. It ain't for me." Some won't come back. But maybe years down the road, someone will tell them, "No, it sticks the landing." The best you can hope for is that they give it a roll, eventually.
    He seems resigned to a more hopeful 'history will be kinder' mindset. Kind of like what we see with SW prequel love (which he himself championed and pioneered in the day)

    And this is telling

    if Masters hopes to continue on into the 21st century, I think it's going to be He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. The CG cartoon will have to be the standard bearer.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; November 25, 2021 at 06:30am.

  20. #7945
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,629
    "History will be kinder" when we never get another "real" MOTU cartoon ever again and everyone realizes by then that they should've appreciated what we had while we had it.

    Always look for that silver lining, I guess. But yeah, he doesn't exactly sound primed for another round of this. Like he talks about "IF we get to do more" but you can also read between the lines and see that he was totally unprepared for the blowback. It's going to be hard to get "up" for it again even if they do get another season greenlit. You can tell that mentally, emotionally... he's Done.

    And to anyone who'd chime in with some variation of "GOOD! Kevin Smith is why the show sucks anyway!", I'd politely remind that without his involvement - and all of his friends/connections coming along to voice act the various roles - there wouldn't even BE a show. Nowadays these projects are every bit as much about the "names" attached to the product as the product itself. You know why the CGI reboot is getting almost zero chatter, good OR bad? It's not because it's universally beloved, it's because it doesn't have a "big name" like Kevin Smith's attached to it to act as a lightning rod for attention.

    So I think if Smith opts out, there's no more seasons. But I also don't think he'll get to make that decision anyway.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  21. #7946
    Heroic Warrior Nikolaidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Only 7 critics and 277 viewers bothered to leave a review so far for part 2 vs part 1 with 47 critics and 6917…thats a MASSIVE loss of interest.

    At least we have the CGI show….
    This is something that many people fail to grasp. Sequels and spiritual successors' success is always depended on the PREVIOUS entry/iteration. Batman Begins was an amazing movie which didn't have a lot of momentum due to Batman and Robin with Arnold and Thurman ruining the IP's name in the moviesphere.

    The filmation show is the reason revelation part 1 made the numbers it did.

    And Revelation part 1 is the reason part 2 had the fans not caring as much as they did the first time, no matter how much Kevin Smith tried to convince us otherwise and laugh the negativity off.

    Part 2 was even worse than part 1 because it disregarded the lore so much, just so it could have its "Yas queen slay" moments. And the show, the writing and the characterization suffers because of it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    And to anyone who'd chime in with some variation of "GOOD! Kevin Smith is why the show sucks anyway!", I'd politely remind that without his involvement - and all of his friends/connections coming along to voice act the various roles - there wouldn't even BE a show.
    You make that sound like a bad thing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    However, I’ve already seen S2 and S3 of the CGI show thanks to my contact
    Ah, an insider!

    If true, good news! I really enjoyed the cgi show, especially the 2nd half. It's doing its own thing more than I'd prefer, but it seems to remember what's it all about.

  22. #7947
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    And to anyone who'd chime in with some variation of "GOOD! Kevin Smith is why the show sucks anyway!", I'd politely remind that without his involvement - and all of his friends/connections coming along to voice act the various roles - there wouldn't even BE a show. Nowadays these projects are every bit as much about the "names" attached to the product as the product itself. You know why the CGI reboot is getting almost zero chatter, good OR bad? It's not because it's universally beloved, it's because it doesn't have a "big name" like Kevin Smith's attached to it to act as a lightning rod for attention....
    LOL. Mattel have been marketing MOTU like crazy and they would have been doing a TV show with or without the involvement of Kevin Smith.
    Mark Hamill was pretty much ony big name anyone cared about and I doubt Hamill did the show because of Kevin Smith's involvement.
    I also doubt the Netflix executives were just super eager to make a series with such amazing A list voice actors like Jason Mews, Justin Long, Griffin Newman...

  23. #7948
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,629
    I think it's a bad thing that the hyperbolic caterwauling of some people means we will never, ever get another MOTU cartoon again after the CGI reboot runs its course, yes. People completely over-sold how "bad" this show was and ruined any chance of ever getting another one*; why would I be happy about that?

    I can understand this show not being "the show some people wanted or would have preferred" but I honestly don't think that makes it "a bad show". And I think since this show's failure means it's the last one we'll ever get in the "old-school aesthetic", some people would do well to appreciate what we have/had.

    But I mean, we'll revisit this conversation in 30 years when the brand is "officially" dead and everyone's asking why they never did another show after this one. Should be interesting.

    *I'm aware the CGI reboot exists and that many people are pinning all of their hopes and dreams for the franchise on it. Let's just say I find that to be some pretty heavy wishful thinking and that the jury's still out on how long that show will last, too. But you can put cash money on the table, Right Now... 80s-style MOTU will never be animated again. This was it. And people ruined it because "Not enough He-Man" and Teela's bad haircut. And that's why we can't have nice things.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    LOL. Mattel have been marketing MOTU like crazy and they would have been doing a TV show with or without the involvement of Kevin Smith.
    Mark Hamill was pretty much ony big name anyone cared about and I doubt Hamill did the show because of Kevin Smith's involvement.
    I also doubt the Netflix executives were just super eager to make a series with such amazing A list voice actors like Jason Mews, Justin Long, Griffin Newman...
    And who were they talking to about doing a show BEFORE Kevin Smith showed up? Anyone? I kinda think it was No One, actually. Frankly I don't think anyone else even WANTED to do it. And I think even fewer people would be inclined Now, seeing just how "kind" the fans can be. Who'd want the hassle? Nobody who'd be worth the price tag, I'll tell you that much for free.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  24. #7949
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    And who were they talking to about doing a show BEFORE Kevin Smith showed up? Anyone? I kinda think it was No One, actually. Frankly I don't think anyone else even WANTED to do it. And I think even fewer people would be inclined Now, seeing just how "kind" the fans can be. Who'd want the hassle? Nobody who'd be worth the price tag, I'll tell you that much for free.
    I don't know, but hopefully someone with better writing credits than "Clerks" and "Mallrats" would have been a better choice. Maybe whoever they spoke to didn't sell themselves as much as being a fan or having the clout to get Jason Mews and Justin Long involved.

    Considering the actions of Smith and Nwetflix it's no surprise fans acted the way they did.

    However I think there will be a second season and i hope it is a lot better than season one.

  25. #7950
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,690
    I 100% don't want to persuade anyone into not liking the show. I think that would be a petty and mean spirited thing to do. I'm glad people like it.

    I just wanted to chime in with my thumbs up or thumbs down since I posted so much here on part 1, and because a couple of people here were had said those of us who didn't like part 1 would be eating crow and that we were basically afraid to show our faces here.

    I'll give 3 reasons why I thought the writing was terrible.

    1. The dialogue was terrible. The jokes were unfunny, cringeworthy, and immature. And all the long exchanges about how everyone felt about everyone else was like a Dawson's Creek episode. In screenwriting classes they teach you not to rely so heavily on dialogue. Show don't tell. Its basically the first rule. And this show told and told and told.

    2. The writers wrote not to tell the best story but to get a reaction from the audience. They didn't do what made sense, instead they did what was most dramatic. For example, Adam stands around and watches Fisto and Clamp Champ die. Then 30 seconds later decides to turn into Savage He-Man. If he had done that earlier they might have lived. Maybe not, but my point is Adam didn't learn anything new in that scene that showed him he had this power. He already knew it and just didn't use it when it would have made more of a difference. He waited until the tension got high so that the audience would react.

    3. There's this long talk about how Skelegod gets his power because the sorceress allows it. That Evil-lyn is not claiming her power because Skeletor abused her and she needs to show some self respect and claim her power back. Then she just seduces him instead, like that conversation never happened. That was the wrong decision for the character arc they were setting up and they shouldn't have wasted the time with the set up if they weren't going to pay it off.

    Plus they made Skeletor into an idiot. No way he gives up that power to get some action. It's all he's cared about. He's never shown interest in sex before. He already said he didn't trust lyn, even accusing her of giving Adam that savage power so no way he gives the power up. And lyn just said she wanted him because he was more powerful, then wants to sleep with him powered back down.

    They turned Beast Man into some kind of well meaning guidance counselor. They didn't spend any time showing how Skelegod's rule affected the people of Eternia who rose up at the end - they showed up for implied reasons. I mean I guess Skelegod was mean to everyone but all I really saw him do was try to kill he-man and figure out how to have that extra power and be an idiot.

    They wasted the opportunity to show the other characters. They had all that time and basically nothing is done with them. Teela keeps refusing the hero's call (hero's journey step) until the middle of the last episode. Normally that happens near the end of act 1. Almost everything in the show was cliched.

    But I did like Evil-lyn and her view on power and existence. That was interesting to me.
    Last edited by jibernish; November 25, 2021 at 08:28am.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •