Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Thankfully you guys aren't running this show. I feel we're safe with Kevin Smith. He gets it.
    Kevin Smith is a shill and praised such movies as Justice League and The Last Jedi. For that alone I have my doubts on his creative input.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Kevin Smith is a shill and praised such movies as Justice League and The Last Jedi. For that alone I have my doubts on his creative input.
    I love Kevin, but yeah he lost me with his support of The Last Jedi. The Justice League movie was pretty bad, but TLJ was definitely worse. I do like when he fan boys out, but I do not think TLJ deserved ANY praise, especially from life long SW fans. I am not really surprised though. The VA boards were shuttered up when he started getting really SJW-ish. Maybe he genuinely liked it. *shrugs*
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    He doesn't need a new look.
    He needs a new haircut at least. I can't even imagine if they went with "he doesn't need a new look" approach with the OG movie and Dolph had that ridiculous hair.
    Just look at Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes- they redesigned both characters looks and costumes (iconic characters just like in He-Man) and the world didn't end.
    I personally think that minor changes are fine and welcome. The extreme changes like in the new She-Ra are questionable to say the least.
    If it's a new costume and it looks cool, why not? You don't wear the same clothes your entire life.
    First of all I want the art style to be good: if it's nice-looking it can make even heavily changed designs work.
    Last edited by Chris85; December 10, 2019 at 09:45pm.

Had to go & take a look at reviews of TLJ (don't remember the film very well - stoner here), but it seems to be labelled with 'universal acclaim' on Rotten Tomatoes & Metacritic - If that even means anything!

Kevin Smith wasn't the only person who liked it.

I also wasn't aware people were still using 'SJW' to describe anyone with a social conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    donít think that they should stray away from him being a muscular bloke in a furry loincloth with a harnass and wavy medium length blonde hair. No ponytail BS, no pants(!!!). Stay faithful to the fundamentals and if you donít, he better be awesome!
    Perhaps they will give him bike shorts like She-Ra!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    He needs a new haircut at least. I can't even imagine if they went with "he doesn't need a new look" approach with the OG movie and Dolph had that ridiculous hair.
    Just look at Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes- they redesigned both characters looks and costumes (iconic characters just like in He-Man) and the world didn't end.
    I personally think that minor changes are fine and welcome. The extreme changes like in the new She-Ra are questionable to say the least.
    If it's a new costume and it looks cool, why not? You don't wear the same clothes your entire life.
    First of all I want the art style to be good: if it's nice-looking it can make even heavily changed designs work.
    That hair you call ridiculous has been consistent for the vast majority of He-Man's appearances in media for nearly 40 years now. It's a defining trait.

And trust me, the awful 1987 movie definitely would not have been any worse had Dolph sported the classic hairstyle. Straying dramatically from well established character designs was one of the more egregious blunders that that film suffered from, among many more. If anything, Dolph's 80's mullet was a ridiculous attempt at contemporary pandering. This arrogant approach was also the downfall of NA - trying to reinvent the wheel in a cynical manner to hop on the latest trend.

For the opposite reason, 200x was acclaimed because it was a return to the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistix View Post
    Had to go & take a look at reviews of TLJ (don't remember the film very well - stoner here), but it seems to be labelled with 'universal acclaim' on Rotten Tomatoes & Metacritic - If that even means anything!

Kevin Smith wasn't the only person who liked it.

I also wasn't aware people were still using 'SJW' to describe anyone with a social conscience.

Perhaps they will give him bike shorts like She-Ra!!
    Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic are not reliable sources for honest reviews. A lot of people on those sites post reviews because of an agenda rather than give an honest opinion.
    The layout of RT has changed but there was a substancially big difference between the critic and audience scores for TLJ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I love Kevin, but yeah he lost me with his support of The Last Jedi. The Justice League movie was pretty bad, but TLJ was definitely worse. I do like when he fan boys out, but I do not think TLJ deserved ANY praise, especially from life long SW fans. I am not really surprised though. The VA boards were shuttered up when he started getting really SJW-ish. Maybe he genuinely liked it. *shrugs*
    I like some of his movies but they are what they are...not among my favourites.

If the new cartoon is harkening back to the classic cartoon & toys, I don't think I'm expecting to see any drastic changes in costumes or hairstyles for anyone. I don't think I'm going to see an exact replica of Filmation's style of art, but rather the old style put through a "modern cartoon aesthetic" machine of some sort. I wouldn't mind a slight anime bent (I rather enjoyed 200X, even though the quality of the art wasn't entirely consistent episode to episode). The only thing I wouldn't care for is if they make it ULTRA cartoony like Teen Titans or the more recent re-dos of Ben 10 or Scooby Doo where the characters have those BIG round eyes like Garfield characters or something- but somehow I think they'll spare us that drastic of a change.
    Now, if characters don battle armors here and there- I'd be down for that. How cool would it be to see Battle Armor He-Man or Battle Armor Skeletor in animated form for the first time?
    If this Netflix series were being done by the same team behind the new She-Ra, I'd be all for seeing a fresh new take on everybody.
    But, since this is being touted as faithful to the original right from the original press release, I pretty much expect He-Man and Prince Adam to be sporting the ol' page boy cut (albeit maybe with better color shading and detail).
    Last edited by zodak74; Yesterday at 09:16am.

I like some of his movies but they are what they are...not among my favourites.
    I watched many of them in the theater with my friends in high school and college. They are not cinematic masterpieces by any means, but they are entertaining (especially to a 'kid'). Mall Rats cracks me up and I like Dogma! If I had not watched them in my youth I probably would not like them at all. It is a shame because one of my favorite movies of his he actually hates. It was a different world though, his movies wouldn't fly today. People would need to run to their safe spaces and color - LOL!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I watched many of them in the theater with my friends in high school and college. They are not cinematic masterpieces by any means, but they are entertaining (especially to a 'kid'). Mall Rats cracks me up and I like Dogma! If I had not watched them in my youth I probably would not like them at all. It is a shame because one of my favorite movies of his he actually hates. It was a different world though, his movies wouldn't fly today. People would need to run to their safe spaces and color - LOL!
    What is your favourite movie of his? I liked Mall Rats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. The Jay and Silent Bob Reboot should be interesting lol.

What is your favourite movie of his? I liked Mall Rats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. The Jay and Silent Bob Reboot should be interesting lol.
    Probably Dogma, but Mall Rats is a close second. I enjoy them all, but now that I am getting older I find myself trying to watch them and think 'What the heck did I see in these films?' LOL! I think my sense of humor is changing as I get older.

Probably Dogma, but Mall Rats is a close second. I enjoy them all, but now that I am getting older I find myself trying to watch them and think 'What the heck did I see in these films?' LOL! I think my sense of humor is changing as I get older.
    I liked the Jay and Silent Bob movies when I first seen them when I was abou 16. But after a few yeats my interest and liking of them had changed.
    I have head though that some of the comics he wrote were very good but I haven't read any to comment on them, but I hope he does a good job with MOTU.