Page 327 of 403 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337377 ... LastLast
Results 8,151 to 8,175 of 10070

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

  1. #8151
    Heroic Warrior medium_pyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Etheria
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Exor View Post
    It's obviously meant to homage '80s cartoon puns.
    I get that was the intention. For example, here's a good (or rather bad) one from "Search for the VHO."

    Teela: "He's [Mer-Man] gone after the Kraken!"
    He-Man: "Then we'd better get crackin'."

    However, with Revelation, the 'puns' seem more like references to character names/traits instead of regular word-play. Not to say they all are, but it seems like it makes up the majority.

  2. #8152
    Heroic Warrior Agranymere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    102
    'Regular word play' in our world uses everyday objects though, so Eternians using those in their word play would hardly be unusual. Like the one about the bug on the windshield of a car, as opposed to a Wind Raider's, which to those characters isn't an unusual object. Or if someone said "walking with Landsharks" as opposed to "swimming with sharks" to mean "being among dangerous people", that seems fully reasonable to me. Or "whatever floats your Sky Sled" instead of "whatever floats your boat". Sure they sound weird to us, probably because we're injecting fictional vehicles or objects into existing puns, but I'm sure most idioms and puns sound weird to those whose first language isn't English. Likewise with expressions in other languages. And with Fisto, just imagine something like a wrestler named "The Crusher", he'd undoubtedly always have a line about "crushing" his competition, or something to that effect.

  3. #8153
    Court Magician 80slady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I always wonder why people tend to beat a dead horse over frivolous things...We know you don't like MYP we get it already...But ALOT of people do.....

    And to me MYP was the in between a kids show and adult but Revelation is downright adult I guess some people liked the Conan killing style for He-Man...

    You know He-Man should be like the walking dead no real story and killing and death all around....How many 7 years old's at time wanted He-Man to kill Skeletor??

    Honestly with Mattel being the way they are I'm surprised they let this be made with family friendliness and such...
    And we allknow you and a few other killjoys hate Revelation, but that doesn't prevent you from going on and on about how terrible you think it is.

    Maybe if you and those who can't stop hating Revelation didn't always hold the boring, bland, outright wretched MYP version of He-Man up as superior telling, you wouldn't have to hear about how much it sucks.

    Anyway, my 10 year old loved Revelation and the Filmation show. They thought 2002 was boring, probably because it was.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    I couldn't have asked for a better post. I think I haven't seen you around for a while Megalodon, but if you were here, you would have seen JSElshoff repeat over and over again that Revelation consists of bad writing and MYP is far superior, ala beating a dead horse, while we can easily be doing the same in a MYP thread (but choose not to). Don't know what else do at this point but beat the beating of a dead horse back.
    Exactly. Someone who is all over this thread complaining about Revelation having the audacity to whine about people insulting MYP is really

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by GranamyrGreen View Post
    As Far as the Fisto Joke goes. If you can't poke fun at the fact his name is Fisto. What can you poke fun at. You want stop people from making Uranus jokes. Stop calling the planet Uranus. I guess they could have gone with Fist Man. But i doubt that would have been any better.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Frankly This was everything i wish the 200X was. I felt to me like 200x show took itself way too seriously. But just didn't have enough character development to back it up. I just compare it to shows that came out before Like Batman The Animated Series or any of DCAU Shows and its just seriously lacking. People talk about how the 200X show had great writing. Go watch Batman Mask of Phantasm and tell how 200x show was Shakespearean. I think its fine if there not a lot of character development in a cheesy cartoon for 6 years old. But if your going take it seriously, im expecting something more. I like the fact that Evil Lyn has a character arc that dosn't involve her being an abuse relationship with skeletor. That better than her just running back skeletor arms once she couldn't make on her own. Even tho her father would have help her out for sure.
    I can't believe adults are actually getting their panties in a twist over a FISTO joke. Lord.

    And yes, the 2002 series had zero joy. Everyone was a jerk, and Adam was so dumb he was a teenage prince who didn't know how to eat at a formal meal. They also insisted on referring to the Masters of the Universe all the time, which was laughable at best.

    And had someone actually murdered that version of Man at Arms, they would have been my favorite character. What a cynical, awful demon of a character he was.

  4. #8154
    Heroic Warrior GranamyrGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by 80slady View Post
    I can't believe adults are actually getting their panties in a twist over a FISTO joke. Lord.

    And yes, the 2002 series had zero joy. Everyone was a jerk, and Adam was so dumb he was a teenage prince who didn't know how to eat at a formal meal. They also insisted on referring to the Masters of the Universe all the time, which was laughable at best.

    And had someone actually murdered that version of Man at Arms, they would have been my favorite character. What a cynical, awful demon of a character he was.
    I also hate how all the characters in 200X show would refer to themselves as "Masters" or "Masters of the Universe". I know that its the name of the show, But now your just sounding pretentious. Its like if Steven Spielberg went around calling himself "The Master of Hollywood". Yes, your a good director. But come on.

  5. #8155
    Heroic Warrior Nikolaidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
    There's hyperbole... And then there's HYPERBOLE.
    Why? Both RotF and Rev disregard their own canon because the story demands it. Both have plot holes the size of the moon. It's exactly the same thing.

    Sure, you can handwave those issues away in order to not deter yourself from enjoying what you see, but that doesn't mean they're not right there.

  6. #8156
    Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Jersey born and raised!
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaidas View Post
    Why? Both RotF and Rev disregard their own canon because the story demands it. Both have plot holes the size of the moon. It's exactly the same thing.

    Sure, you can handwave those issues away in order to not deter yourself from enjoying what you see, but that doesn't mean they're not right there.
    The only handwaving I see is over you being wrong, wrong in thinking the mending of the orb was overlooked in Revelation and subsequently compared the show to Revenge of the Fallen level of bad writing because of it, when only paying closer attention to the actual show would you realize it was there the whole time. But of course, that doesn't mean or change anything. You've already declared the show guilty, and you're just in the continual pursuit now to find crimes to support it.
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Podcast
    Masters of the Universe Podcast

    ForEternia.com
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Fan Site

    - - - - -

  7. #8157
    Heroic Warrior Nikolaidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    The only handwaving I see is over you being wrong, wrong in thinking the mending of the orb was overlooked in Revelation and subsequently compared the show to Revenge of the Fallen level of bad writing because of it, when only paying closer attention to the actual show would you realize it was there the whole time. But of course, that doesn't mean or change anything. You've already declared the show guilty, and you're just in the continual pursuit now to find crimes to support it.
    Okay.

    Tell me why didn't the Sorceress immediately sent out for Randor, Duncan and Teela in order to explain to them that the universe will die in a couple of years if they don't stop their temper tantrums. Tell me why she waited for Eternia to starve to death, Triclops to rise to power and create a magic-threatening cult, witness people living in absolute misery, and waited for years to summon the team for a quest that was literally achievable in weeks, if not days.

    Tell my WHY didn't the Sorceress explain to Randor and Teela that if they do this and help out the team, Adam could be brought back. Tell me why she didn't tell Teela of her heritage back then instead of waiting for years in order to not risk Teela doing something stupid while bounty-hunting and dying.

    You sound like I bad-mouth the writing for no reason at all, while I am literally pointing out its flaws. And then, instead of admitting it, you fall back to the 'the original was no Shakespeare' defense. Well, guess what: storytelling has evolved in the past 40 years and we should have a bit of a higher standard than what Kevin Smith is feeding us.

    Like the show if you will. That doesn't mean the writing isn't objectively bad when people can point out flaws like the above.

  8. #8158
    Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Jersey born and raised!
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaidas View Post
    Okay.

    Tell me why didn't the Sorceress immediately sent out for Randor, Duncan and Teela in order to explain to them that the universe will die in a couple of years if they don't stop their temper tantrums. Tell me why she waited for Eternia to starve to death, Triclops to rise to power and create a magic-threatening cult, witness people living in absolute misery, and waited for years to summon the team for a quest that was literally achievable in weeks, if not days.

    Tell my WHY didn't the Sorceress explain to Randor and Teela that if they do this and help out the team, Adam could be brought back. Tell me why she didn't tell Teela of her heritage back then instead of waiting for years in order to not risk Teela doing something stupid while bounty-hunting and dying.

    You sound like I bad-mouth the writing for no reason at all, while I am literally pointing out its flaws. And then, instead of admitting it, you fall back to the 'the original was no Shakespeare' defense. Well, guess what: storytelling has evolved in the past 40 years and we should have a bit of a higher standard than what Kevin Smith is feeding us.

    Like the show if you will. That doesn't mean the writing isn't objectively bad when people can point out flaws like the above.
    First, admit you rushed to judgement about the orb. Then, honestly tell me if you will accept logical answers or will they truly won't change your mind, because seriously, why waste my time when you'll nitpick this show but gloss over the holes of the other shows you like?
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Podcast
    Masters of the Universe Podcast

    ForEternia.com
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Fan Site

    - - - - -

  9. #8159
    Heroic Warrior Nikolaidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    First, admit you rushed to judgement about the orb. Then, honestly tell me if you will accept logical answers or will they truly won't change your mind, because seriously, why waste my time when you'll nitpick this show but gloss over the holes of the other shows you like?
    What rushed judgment? Somebody else asked what happened to the orb and I said that when Adam said the words everything healed. It's a hasty solution, like everything else on this show, but it was one of the few cases where I wasn't shaking my head in disbelief. This isn't the gatcha you think it is. I have no issues with the orb healing due to the sword. It's still bad for the show not explaining it, but I don't mind that part.

    And who told you that I gloss over other bad writing? This is a thread talking about Revelation, not every single bad piece of fiction. Which is why I am focusing on THIS show's attrocious writing.
    Last edited by Nikolaidas; November 29, 2021 at 01:43am.

  10. #8160
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    76
    I'm really surprised no one has anything to say about what happened with Evil Lyn.

    She basically:

    -unleashed the hordes of hell on Eternia killing countless people
    -annihilates Preternia and all of the souls of the dead who have gone there in front of everyone's eyes, including King Grayskull

    But because she is sad she gets let go? I mean, not that i'm one for capital punishment, but she LITERALLY destroyed Heaven for everyone. Wouldn't that be grounds for, at least, life imprisonment?

  11. #8161
    Heroic Warrior Nikolaidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    436
    How about the fact that at some point, Adam is FIGHTING her. That blew my mind. Adam without the sword is barely capable of fighting a Horde Trooper, let alone a powered-up Evil Lyn. Power scaling is all over the place. And don't get me started on Orko who literally became a grade A sorcerer just because Evil Lyn exchanged two lines of dialogue with him.

    Complete, utter buffoonery.

  12. #8162
    Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaidas View Post
    Okay.

    Tell me why didn't the Sorceress immediately sent out for Randor, Duncan and Teela in order to explain to them that the universe will die in a couple of years if they don't stop their temper tantrums. Tell me why she waited for Eternia to starve to death, Triclops to rise to power and create a magic-threatening cult, witness people living in absolute misery, and waited for years to summon the team for a quest that was literally achievable in weeks, if not days.

    Tell my WHY didn't the Sorceress explain to Randor and Teela that if they do this and help out the team, Adam could be brought back. Tell me why she didn't tell Teela of her heritage back then instead of waiting for years in order to not risk Teela doing something stupid while bounty-hunting and dying.

    You sound like I bad-mouth the writing for no reason at all, while I am literally pointing out its flaws. And then, instead of admitting it, you fall back to the 'the original was no Shakespeare' defense. Well, guess what: storytelling has evolved in the past 40 years and we should have a bit of a higher standard than what Kevin Smith is feeding us.

    Like the show if you will. That doesn't mean the writing isn't objectively bad when people can point out flaws like the above.
    I had a nice long explanation for you typed out, and then crashed my browser. But basically the gist of the answer to your questions is that the Sorceress is not Omnipotent or Omniscient. She can't be held accountable for what she does not know.

    Also you've committed a great atrocity by saying, "Like the show if you will. That doesn't mean the writing isn't objectively bad when people can point out flaws like the above."

    You need to understand what the word "Objective" means. Your statement amounts to the same as two people arguing over whether pumpkin pie is good or not. The hater of the pie says, "it tastes like dirt! How can you say its not objectively bad when it tastes like dirt?" Some people like different things, and so it is subjective by nature. Thus is the case with Revelation. You don't prefer the writing Revelation... that's fine of course, but you don't get to claim that it is "objectively bad" because of YOUR preference. What nonsense.

    Here's a definition for you from a quick google definition:

    objective
    [əbˈjektiv]
    ADJECTIVE
    (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.Contrasted with subjective.
    "historians try to be objective and impartial"
    synonyms:
    impartial · unbiased · unprejudiced · nonpartisan · disinterested · [more]

    But use a dictionary of your choice.

    Look, man, no one is saying you have to love Revelation. We all have preferences, but it does seem like you are demanding perfection. But its not black and white. It doesn't have to be a 10/10 in order for it to not be a 1/10. There's all those numbers inbetween. Just because something is not specifically addressed in Revelation doesn't mean that there's not an explanation, nor does it mean that there HAS to be. A certain level of understanding of this is often afforded to properties we love. Just because the Sorceress didn't (or couldn't) do something the way YOU think she should have, doesn't mean that the show fails on every level and can be classified as an objective failing of all we hold dear about MOTU. A show does not have to explain--nor would it be possible for it to do so--every single decision that a character makes. There can always be things happening behind the scenes. If you want to rob yourself of the enjoyment of the good because you can't get past a few perceived 'flaws' that's your business. But why the need to try and tear it down for everyone else?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaidas View Post
    How about the fact that at some point, Adam is FIGHTING her. That blew my mind. Adam without the sword is barely capable of fighting a Horde Trooper, let alone a powered-up Evil Lyn. Power scaling is all over the place. And don't get me started on Orko who literally became a grade A sorcerer just because Evil Lyn exchanged two lines of dialogue with him.

    Complete, utter buffoonery.
    What's buffoonery is this entire statement. When exactly in Revelation or even Filmation did Adam demonstrate that he is barely capable of fighting a Horde Trooper? It certainly didn't happen in Revelation, as there are not Horde Troopers as of yet. And the only thing in Filmation that comes to my mind is in Secret of the Sword, when Adam and Bow are in fact quite effectively fighting Horde Troopers.

    Adam is portrayed in Revelation as a much stronger and capable fighter in his natural form, so where you are getting this is clearly just your own interpolation. As far as Orko goes... sometimes it just takes a certain level of encouragement. I believe its always been hinted at that Orko was powerful--he just lacked the confidence. When someone gets that confidence, especially through a personal victory such as against Scareglow in Subternia, it is entirely believable that his power is unleashed at last. But that won't be enough for you, of course, because you've decided to hate it and to try to lead others to the same conclusion.

    But I have to ask... why do you care this much? I mean, so much that you want to nit-pick everything to the point that everyone is as miserable about it as you? I very much dislike SATPOP, and I can give simple reasons why in a conversation that need not involve me picking out every tiny little detail of everything that doesn't work for me. Why expend so much energy on something you don't at all like?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    I'm really surprised no one has anything to say about what happened with Evil Lyn.

    She basically:

    -unleashed the hordes of hell on Eternia killing countless people
    -annihilates Preternia and all of the souls of the dead who have gone there in front of everyone's eyes, including King Grayskull

    But because she is sad she gets let go? I mean, not that i'm one for capital punishment, but she LITERALLY destroyed Heaven for everyone. Wouldn't that be grounds for, at least, life imprisonment?
    If in fact this is what happened, then yes, it seems that it is not much a punishment. But this assumes an awful lot. For one, in that last scene, she doesn't look particularly happy to me. To one who had become as nihilistic as she had, who had become so obsessed with magic, being forced (even if by her own self) to live without the power, and even to live free, could be considered punishment. To one who gets into such a dark frame of mind, who might also feel great guilt over what they've done, rotting away in a jail cell or being executed, might well seem like less of a punishment.

    I view her final scene as kind of a post-credit scene--showing a glimpse of where she's at now without explaining why--but with obvious intention by the writers that there is more story to tell.

  13. #8163
    Heroic Warrior Nikolaidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by King Daddy Bo-Hog View Post
    I had a nice long explanation for you typed out, and then crashed my browser. But basically the gist of the answer to your questions is that the Sorceress is not Omnipotent or Omniscient. She can't be held accountable for what she does not know.

    Also you've committed a great atrocity by saying, "Like the show if you will. That doesn't mean the writing isn't objectively bad when people can point out flaws like the above."

    You need to understand what the word "Objective" means. Your statement amounts to the same as two people arguing over whether pumpkin pie is good or not. The hater of the pie says, "it tastes like dirt! How can you say its not objectively bad when it tastes like dirt?" Some people like different things, and so it is subjective by nature. Thus is the case with Revelation. You don't prefer the writing Revelation... that's fine of course, but you don't get to claim that it is "objectively bad" because of YOUR preference. What nonsense.

    Here's a definition for you from a quick google definition:

    objective
    [əbˈjektiv]
    ADJECTIVE
    (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.Contrasted with subjective.
    "historians try to be objective and impartial"
    synonyms:
    impartial · unbiased · unprejudiced · nonpartisan · disinterested · [more]

    But use a dictionary of your choice.

    Look, man, no one is saying you have to love Revelation. We all have preferences, but it does seem like you are demanding perfection. But its not black and white. It doesn't have to be a 10/10 in order for it to not be a 1/10. There's all those numbers inbetween. Just because something is not specifically addressed in Revelation doesn't mean that there's not an explanation, nor does it mean that there HAS to be. A certain level of understanding of this is often afforded to properties we love. Just because the Sorceress didn't (or couldn't) do something the way YOU think she should have, doesn't mean that the show fails on every level and can be classified as an objective failing of all we hold dear about MOTU. A show does not have to explain--nor would it be possible for it to do so--every single decision that a character makes. There can always be things happening behind the scenes. If you want to rob yourself of the enjoyment of the good because you can't get past a few perceived 'flaws' that's your business. But why the need to try and tear it down for everyone else?
    I do not demand perfection. I am simply asking for the show to give me a believable plot and believable characters whose actions are defined by their personality, not the needs of the story.

    Teela refusing to aid Evil Lyn and the Sorceress when they tell her the universe is going to explode otherwise (which is a self-centered diva's biggest fantasy - people telling you that without you, nothing works) is objectively bad writing. Teela telling the world to go burn itself just because Adam didn't tell her a secret that wasn't even hers to know is bad writing. Be mad at Adam, sure, whatever. But the ENTIRE world? It's like this series was written by a spoiled child with issues. A self-entitled brat who thinks the world owes it just because.

    What really angers me however, is that the show supposedly gives me this character as a character to root for, as a character to be invested in. One of the most self-absorbed and entitled characters I've ever had the displeasure of watching is supposedly the hero of this story. A character who abandons everyone when they needed her the most, a character whose biggest fear is that she's too awesome, a character who is the least reliable person in the room yet everyone relies on her.

    And that's just my beef with Rev Teela. Don't get me started on Evil Lyn, Skeletor, Duncan and Randor.

    You want to call the above perceived flaws, you do you. I won't.

    If you don't want to hear criticism and negativity about this show, there's always the positivity thread. Or put me on ignore. That works too.

  14. #8164
    Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Did they explain why the magic returned to the universe? The sword was just a conduit right? It was breaking the orb that lead to the magic draining from the universe. They reforged the sword but did nothing to fix the orb? So shouldn’t there be no magic or power to call down?

    Part 1 was all about how there was no magic left in the universe yet part 2 had huge magic battles etc.

    Did I miss something?
    Yes, yes you did. In episode 5, after Adam calls the power back, at exactly 22:32, you can see that the orb has reformed as the power comes back. It then is returned to the pyramid thing that houses it, clearly implying that the return of the power to Eternia is complete.

  15. #8165
    Heroic Warrior ProteinNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by King Daddy Bo-Hog View Post
    Yes, yes you did. In episode 5, after Adam calls the power back, at exactly 22:32, you can see that the orb has reformed as the power comes back. It then is returned to the pyramid thing that houses it, clearly implying that the return of the power to Eternia is complete.
    Ah thanks, thats why I missed it, I was looking for it in part 2!

  16. #8166
    Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaidas View Post
    I do not demand perfection. I am simply asking for the show to give me a believable plot and believable characters whose actions are defined by their personality, not the needs of the story.

    Teela refusing to aid Evil Lyn and the Sorceress when they tell her the universe is going to explode otherwise (which is a self-centered diva's biggest fantasy - people telling you that without you, nothing works) is objectively bad writing. Teela telling the world to go burn itself just because Adam didn't tell her a secret that wasn't even hers to know is bad writing. Be mad at Adam, sure, whatever. But the ENTIRE world? It's like this series was written by a spoiled child with issues. A self-entitled brat who thinks the world owes it just because.
    Did you even read the definition of "Objective"? If you did, you clearly did not understand it.

    Let us simplify it. Your statement "Teela refusing to aid Evil Lyn and the Sorceress when they tell her the universe is going to explode otherwise (which is a self-centered diva's biggest fantasy - people telling you that without you, nothing works)" clearly demonstrates that you believe that to be bad writing. Is there some law in the universe that everyone must agree with that statement, that someone cannot believe it to be good writing? No, there is not. Because it is an opinion, and not some indisputable fact. Therefore, it cannot in any way whatsoever be considered an Objective Truth. It is an OPINION. This means it is subjectively bad (from your perspective). Since someone else can have a different opinion, it cannot be some objective truth.

    I'm not even arguing the merits of your statements--or lack thereof--at this point. People misusing the word "objective" ruffles my feathers.

    Let me give some more examples:

    If someone says "the sky is blue"... it is a subjective statement, because science shows that it only appears blue; also, someone might be color blind and so they do not see it as blue. Or it might be more accurate to say that it is a subjective interpretation of an objective reality.

    If someone says "the sky appears blue to most people"... it is an objective statement, because most people do interpret it as blue.

    If someone says "that movie sucked!!!" it is an opinion, and thus subjective. To say otherwise is to say that the movie sucked because THEY think it sucked. What an arrogant way to look at the world. Its not all about you, and that's exactly what is being implied when you say that it is objectively bad. Now, it might be fair to say that your opinion is an objective interpretation of a subjective reality. But that's not what you are saying--though it might be what you mean.

    See, I could just as easily say "Revelation has objectively GOOD writing". But that statement couldn't possibly be true because at the same time, you're saying "Revelation has objectively BAD writing." These two conflicting statements cannot possibly both be objectively true. That, by nature, shows that both statements are subjective.

    I truly don't understand why some people use this word so wrongly, thinking that it somehow makes them right. There is no objective right or wrong when it comes to something that is clearly one's opinion. Saying "Its objectively bad" is not some magical phrase that gives credence to your opinion and raises it to some great standard above all others.

    If you truly think it is that bad, then I am sorry that its not what you want it to be. My only suggestion is to spend your energy on something that you do enjoy. Why waste it on something you don't like? Even if you could convince those of us who love Revelation that it is bad, what would you have accomplished?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Ah thanks, thats why I missed it, I was looking for it in part 2!
    No problem. Its a quick scene that I only remembered because I've watched it 42,347 times.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaidas View Post
    And that's fine and dandy. Other people do care about lore consistency however, and this rubs them the wrong way, is all.
    I swear I'm not trying to single you out, I just keep seeing comments you make that I must comment on.

    It seems to me that if you care so deeply about lore consistency, MOTU might be the wrong property for you. Are there any two incarnations of MOTU that remained entirely true to one another?

    There is:

    Original Mini Comics
    Other Comics from the '80s
    Filmation
    MYP
    Motion Picture
    NA He-Man
    SATPOOP
    Classics Lore
    Revelation
    CGI show

    I'm pretty sure that there are vast differences in lore between each of these. The closest two, so far as I can tell, are Filmation MOTU and Revelation.

  17. #8167
    Evil Customizer smanomega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beneath the ruins of the three towers
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Adam/Teela FOREVeR!!

    Attachment 127523
    That is a great piece..... nice!

  18. #8168
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    73
    Here's what I know (not that anyone asked):

    As a kid I LOVED the first couple of waves of toys, and the first four minicomics. I didn't like when Adam was introduced to the minicomics.

    I was disappointed by the Filmation cartoon (my first experience of having my "fandom ruined" , which I found a little patronising (not that I would have described it that way at the time), but still watched it because hey, He-Man was on TV. Hated the Adam/secret-identity thing, hated Orko and his comic relief, but loved the Sorceress.

    I hated the movie, which changed too much for me, and didn't feel at all faithful to "my MOTU".

    I "grew out" of He-Man and into Star Wars, and tried selling off my toys (no one wanted them though, so they just got boxed up).

    Got really into action figure collecting, filling the gaps in my Kenner Star Wars collection, and even picked up some He-Man stuff (Teela and Moss Man) which I never had as a kid.

    Saw photos of upcoming Masters figures sculpted by the Four Horsemen in Toyfare. Loved the updated take on their designs (especially Beast Man and the "cross-sell accurate" Mer-Man). Rabidly tracked down the first several waves of figures (except Adam and Orko). And the stactions.... Oh, the stactions!

    Was super excited about the MYP show, but found it hard to catch it on TV. Grabbed a couple of the comics.

    Bought the "Best 10 Filmation episodes as voted by fans DVD"... was even more disappointed than I had been when I was eight. Truly a cartoon for children that did nothing for me as an adult, and just reinforced why I didn't like Adam and Orko.

    Bought the MYP DVD, and had to force myself to finish it. Cool designs, but it moved too slowly for me.

    Revelation... totally loved it, and compulsively hit Next Episode each time.

    I don't know anything about writing, but I found the whole thing engaging on a level that no other MOTU media has been for me. The nitpicks brought up by others did not detract one iota from my viewing experience. And there was a heap of stuff in there that really appealed.

    Right time, right place I guess. As far as this fan is concerned, Kevin Smith achieved exactly what he has said he set out to do.

    I guess my main point is, if you don't like Revelation, there's always the next iteration.
    Last edited by Otter; November 29, 2021 at 04:15am.

  19. #8169
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by King Daddy Bo-Hog View Post

    If in fact this is what happened, then yes, it seems that it is not much a punishment. But this assumes an awful lot. For one, in that last scene, she doesn't look particularly happy to me. To one who had become as nihilistic as she had, who had become so obsessed with magic, being forced (even if by her own self) to live without the power, and even to live free, could be considered punishment. To one who gets into such a dark frame of mind, who might also feel great guilt over what they've done, rotting away in a jail cell or being executed, might well seem like less of a punishment.

    I view her final scene as kind of a post-credit scene--showing a glimpse of where she's at now without explaining why--but with obvious intention by the writers that there is more story to tell.
    The thing with punishment, especially when you've committed atrocities that are unprecedented in scale and scope, is that it's usually not up to you to decide how you should be punished. If Randor and the gang just let her go to "live with her guilt" I think it would be highly unrealistic if the entire rest of the planet didn't storm the castle and hang the entire royal family.

  20. #8170
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    I guess my main point is, if you don't like Revelation, there's always the next iteration.
    There already is. The CG cartoon. Way better.

  21. #8171
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    There already is. The CG cartoon. Way better.
    Exactly... whatever works for you.

  22. #8172
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasastard View Post
    As someone who really felt that this show got off on the wrong foot, I willl say this: Yes, the second part was better. And some of the somewhat controversial decisions in part 1 got resolved in acceptable ways. I wonder if part 2 was always supposed to play out the way it did or if indeed Kevin Smith had to do some last-minute changes.

    And I definitely agree that he seems to have written himself into a corner with the last episode. It's not impossible, but it would require some serious creative juice to come up with a way to re-introduce stakes without making some of the events in part 2 seem pointless.
    Yes. There wasn’t enough time to make changes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #8173
    Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Jersey born and raised!
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaidas View Post
    What rushed judgment? Somebody else asked what happened to the orb and I said that when Adam said the words everything healed. .
    Come on you said "we never see the orb again" and then equated it to bad writing.



    But of course, as I pointed it out, we actually DO see the orb again in Episode 5 reform and close in the triangle, and you missed it.

    Now does that mean the writing is better now? No, your conclusion has been already made, and its on to other things to find to try to nitpick this show to death in attempt to support your point. And how does one have this type of conversation when the goalposts are always moved.
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Podcast
    Masters of the Universe Podcast

    ForEternia.com
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Fan Site

    - - - - -

  24. #8174
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,376
    It is wrong to say that the writing in MOTUR is objectively bad.

    But there are generally accepted principles of writing that have been worked out by professional screenwriters, producers, directors, and editors.

    Part of the reason that movies and TV have gotten more sophisticated over time is because people have studied what generally makes for good writing, for writing that engages an ever evolving audience. And professionals have found things that generally make for writing that leaves an audience unhappy. And while nothing constitutes bad or good writing for everyone all the time, there are absolutely principles of writing that, if you follow them, you are more likely to create something that more people like and that stands up over time. And there are things that, if you do them to any substantial degree, you will likely loose your audience.

    You cannot say something is objectively good or bad when it comes to writing. But you can still discuss whether writing is good or bad.

    One piece of evidence is audience reaction to the work. A show like MOTUR was created for people to like it so that Netflix and Mattel can make money. If a lot of people dislike it, then there is some evidence to say that the writing leans more to the bad side than the good side, because the objectives were not met. I'm not saying everyone liked or hated MOTUR. But it's definitely mixed, so I would say in this regard, the writing isn't all good or all bad.

    When something doesn't get the reaction aimed for, the first thing to look at is the writing because everything else is built off of the writing. And if you want to do this in a way that produces results, that will work in the arena of subjective opinions, you look at the generally accepted writing principles. The professionals disagree about particulars, but there are a lot of commonalities that most of them agree with most of the time. And on this front, MOTUR violates MANY of the generally accepted writing principles. It violates a lot of the basic ones too.

    You can objectively say that MOTUR violates a lot of priniciples that successful writing projects generally obey. And you can objectively say that a substantial portion of the audience disliked the show. So why did they dislike the show? Was it the animation? The music? The directing? The editing? The voice acting? Or was it the writing? I would say that the animation, music, and voice acting (save Gellar) were not an issue for most people. It probably wasn't the editing either as I haven't read anyone complaining about that. So that narrows it down to the writing and the directing.

    I would say that the writing on MOTUR is bad. It's a subjective opinion, but one that can be substantiated. I know that the people who disagree won't be swayed by any amount of evidence, but that's ok. And you can still like a show with bad writing. It depends on what each person is looking for.
    Last edited by jibernish; November 29, 2021 at 11:02am.

  25. #8175
    Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Jersey born and raised!
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    It is wrong to say that the writing in MOTUR is objectively bad.

    But there are generally accepted principles of writing that have been worked out by professional screenwriters, producers, directors, and editors.

    Part of the reason that movies and TV have gotten more sophisticated over time is because people have studied what generally makes for good writing, for writing that engages an ever evolving audience. And professionals have found things that generally make for writing that leaves an audience unhappy. And while nothing constitutes bad or good writing for everyone all the time, there are absolutely principles of writing that, if you follow them, you are more likely to create something that more people like and that stands up over time. And there are things that, if you do them to any substantial degree, you will likely loose your audience.

    You cannot say something is objectively good or bad when it comes to writing. But you can still discuss whether writing is good or bad.

    One piece of evidence is audience reaction to the work. A show like MOTUR was created for people to like it so that Netflix and Mattel can make money. If a lot of people dislike it, then there is some evidence to say that the writing leans more to the bad side than the good side, because the objectives were not met. I'm not saying everyone liked or hated MOTUR. But it's definitely mixed, so I would say in this regard, the writing isn't all good or all bad.

    When something doesn't get the reaction aimed for, the first thing to look at is the writing because everything else is built off of the writing. And if you want to do this in a way that produces results, that will work in the arena of subjective opinions, you look at the generally accepted writing principles. The professionals disagree about particulars, but there are a lot of commonalities that most of them agree with most of the time. And on this front, MOTUR violates MANY of the generally accepted writing principles. It violates a lot of the basic ones too.

    You can objectively say that MOTUR violates a lot of priniciples that successful writing projects generally obey. And you can objectively say that a substantial portion of the audience disliked the show. So why did they dislike the show? Was it the animation? The music? The directing? The editing? The voice acting? Or was it the writing? I would say that the animation, music, and voice acting (save Gellar) were not an issue for most people. It probably wasn't the editing either as I haven't read anyone complaining about that. So that narrows it down to the writing and the directing.

    I would say that the writing on MOTUR is bad. It's a subjective opinion, but one that can be substantiated. I know that the people who disagree won't be swayed by any amount of evidence, but that's ok. And you can still like a show with bad writing. It depends on what each person is looking for.
    This is just a very flawed post skewed to lean in your opinion of "bad writing" based on Revelation not getting a thoroughly positive reaction.

    You mention evidence, but another piece of unmentioned evidence is the ideological campaign launched by media influencers, and the online protest as a result impacting those reactions.

    Another piece of unmentioned evidence is the very good critical reviews.

    And another thing unmentioned is it sometimes it has nothing to do with the writing at all, but the choices made within the narrative are the actual root of much of the backlash, but some simply cannot see the forest for the trees. Teela and The Masters of the Universe? Sorceress and the Masters of the Universe? Nah, haven't seen those complaints. And subsequently these people nitpick and give Revelation scrutiny that their own favorite motu show couldn't survive.

    . I know that the people who disagree won't be swayed by any amount of evidence, but that's ok. And you can still like a show with bad writing.
    LOL
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Podcast
    Masters of the Universe Podcast

    ForEternia.com
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Fan Site

    - - - - -

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •