Page 336 of 365 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346 ... LastLast
Results 8,376 to 8,400 of 9101

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

Every show prioritizes a specific target demo, that's just how it is, and has everything to do with the business side of things. Doesn't make shows like MOTU exclusive boys clubs, but it does prioritize boys.

MOTUR expanded its target audience a little, acknowledging that the fanbase is a broader, more diverse group, which it is. Sarah Michelle Gellar even spoke about this in that behind the scenes special.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
    Every show prioritizes a specific target demo, that's just how it is, and has everything to do with the business side of things. Doesn't make shows like MOTU exclusive boys clubs, but it does prioritize boys.

MOTUR expanded its target audience a little, acknowledging that the fanbase is a broader, more diverse group, which it is. Sarah Michelle Gellar even spoke about this in that behind the scenes special.
    I agree 100%, I just think that Revelation overdid it with the 'broadering'. If you want to expand 'a little', you add a couple of new, diverse characters. You don't demote the protagonist and main antagonist into side characters.
    Last edited by Nikolaidas; December 2, 2021 at 03:26am.

Heroic Warrior
    I want to know how it goes against the lore. Which lore? The Glut lore? The classic Mattel lore that outlasted the Filmation series? The Filmation lore? The 200x lore? toyGuru’s fan fiction classics lore? Or the hodgepodge head canon that most people have and proclaim is the official lore? Revelation was more true to the classic Mattel lore than the modern DC stuff people praise. It’s like Transformers fans and their lore. You got G1, which is really four distinct things, G1 America Animated with the original toons, the animated series and movie ending with The Return mini series featuring Headmasters. Then the Marvel Lore which outlasted the toon and was a lot deeper and very different. Then there is the Japanese lore which veers away after season 3 when they did Headmasters instead of translating The Return mini series and that led to Masterforce and Victory. Then you have the G2 break before Beast Wars bringing the fourth version of G1 where it’s revealed Beast Wars is the future descendants of the American G1 toon but they’ve gone back in time to when the ark crashed on earth. Then it gets into 20 different shows and continuities and then they had a fanfic attempt to align everything under one timeline with a multiverse before they gave up on that making sense but modern fans just argue about IDW as if it is the end all be all and Megatron was really always the hero in spite of being a space Nazi. So… which MOTU is the canon? What lore are they contradicting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    I want to know how it goes against the lore. Which lore? The Glut lore? The classic Mattel lore that outlasted the Filmation series? The Filmation lore? The 200x lore? toyGuru’s fan fiction classics lore? Or the hodgepodge head canon that most people have and proclaim is the official lore? Revelation was more true to the classic Mattel lore than the modern DC stuff people praise. It’s like Transformers fans and their lore. You got G1, which is really four distinct things, G1 America Animated with the original toons, the animated series and movie ending with The Return mini series featuring Headmasters. Then the Marvel Lore which outlasted the toon and was a lot deeper and very different. Then there is the Japanese lore which veers away after season 3 when they did Headmasters instead of translating The Return mini series and that led to Masterforce and Victory. Then you have the G2 break before Beast Wars bringing the fourth version of G1 where it’s revealed Beast Wars is the future descendants of the American G1 toon but they’ve gone back in time to when the ark crashed on earth. Then it gets into 20 different shows and continuities and then they had a fanfic attempt to align everything under one timeline with a multiverse before they gave up on that making sense but modern fans just argue about IDW as if it is the end all be all and Megatron was really always the hero in spite of being a space Nazi. So… which MOTU is the canon? What lore are they contradicting?

The lore of the show Revelation was supposedly a continuation of.

That's what Netflix claimed, anyway.

"Teela and an unlikely alliance must prevent the end of the universe in this sequel to the 80's classic."

Their words, not mine. So yeah, when you make official statements like the one above, certain expectations must be met.
    Last edited by Nikolaidas; December 2, 2021 at 04:21am.

I still fail to see where the new show contradicts the old one.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Teela's Quest? Duncan recovered infant Teela from Zoar's bird nest.

The Revelation characters do not align in terms of personality with their filmation counterparts. Whether or not they're improved or worsened is irrelevant - they simply do not have any but the most basic of similarities. Evil Lyn and Beast Man are two of the most striking examples, as well as Skeletor and Teela. They flat out make a He-Man willing to kill, (when in filmation he was a supporter of the motto 'all life is sacred', ) just because Kevin Smith wanted him to stab people with his sword.

That's like me taking over Spider-Man as an IP, and decide to write him as the Punisher because I want to see Spider Man crush some skulls. All the while claiming how much I love the IP and how much I want to honor its legacy.

Teela's Quest? Duncan recovered infant Teela from Zoar's bird nest.
    Orko's backstory, Castle Grayskull being an illusion, Adam being able to summon Power without the sword ...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaidas View Post
    The lore of the show Revelation was supposedly a continuation of.

That's what Netflix claimed, anyway.

"Teela and an unlikely alliance must prevent the end of the universe in this sequel to the 80's classic."

Their words, not mine. So yeah, when you make official statements like the one above, certain expectations must be met.
    Sequel to the 80s classic is pretty vague. It could be the toy line, the comics, the cartoon. You’re making an assumption based on a vague term.

Heroic Warrior
    Orko's backstory, Castle Grayskull being an illusion, Adam being able to summon Power without the sword ...
    Castle Grayskull being an illusion is straight out of the Mattel lore and the story Bible for Filmation. I have a link. But first a quote:

“A great aura of energy burst forth from the mass of light which had been the Council of Elders. It surrounded the Hall of Wisdom and an astonishing shuddering and shimmering arose as the very air around the Hall glowed with a cosmic light. Anyone witnessing the experience would have seen in incredible sight - almost mirage-like, the Hall's very atomic structure shifted; the molecules seemed to run wild as the building changed form.

The wisdom of that which once was the Council understood that the demons of Infinita would look for the magnificent edifice embodying all that it wise and good. But if they saw a dark and forbidding place they might go aside. The wisdom of the Council planned to hide the once beautiful hall behind the rocks, trees and overgrowth of the Evergreen Forest.

When the atoms and molecules slowed the Hall of Wisdom ceased to exist. In its place stood the dark, green, crenelated fortress of CASTLE GRAYSKULL. Its craggy towers and black windows looked out upon Eternia. The most striking feature of the castle was the entrance. The portal had the face of a skull. The skull's lower jaw created a jawbridge and anyone wishing to enter had to have immense courage. Behind these walls and within the corridors of Grayskull dwelt the wisdom transformed into the Spirit of Grayskull. The Sorceress remained guarding the castle against all intruders. Zodac would sail the universe”

https://mysteriesofgreyskull.tripod....vjW0aeaFjmAyPo

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Castle Grayskull being an illusion is straight out of the Mattel lore and the story Bible for Filmation. I have a link. But first a quote:

“A great aura of energy burst forth from the mass of light which had been the Council of Elders. It surrounded the Hall of Wisdom and an astonishing shuddering and shimmering arose as the very air around the Hall glowed with a cosmic light. Anyone witnessing the experience would have seen in incredible sight - almost mirage-like, the Hall's very atomic structure shifted; the molecules seemed to run wild as the building changed form.

The wisdom of that which once was the Council understood that the demons of Infinita would look for the magnificent edifice embodying all that it wise and good. But if they saw a dark and forbidding place they might go aside. The wisdom of the Council planned to hide the once beautiful hall behind the rocks, trees and overgrowth of the Evergreen Forest.

When the atoms and molecules slowed the Hall of Wisdom ceased to exist. In its place stood the dark, green, crenelated fortress of CASTLE GRAYSKULL. Its craggy towers and black windows looked out upon Eternia. The most striking feature of the castle was the entrance. The portal had the face of a skull. The skull's lower jaw created a jawbridge and anyone wishing to enter had to have immense courage. Behind these walls and within the corridors of Grayskull dwelt the wisdom transformed into the Spirit of Grayskull. The Sorceress remained guarding the castle against all intruders. Zodac would sail the universe”

https://mysteriesofgreyskull.tripod....vjW0aeaFjmAyPo

Was this ever mentioned or shown in the show?

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Executive Producer Ted Biaselli detailed how all the Filmation episodes count less three changes they made:

#1 Orko being such a master wizard on his homeworld - his explaination: why in the world would he stay at Eternia if it made him magically inept, plus leaving his girlfriend behind on Trolla, family, etc. Changing Orko instead to struggle with magic everywhere and trying to win the approval of his parents and live up to his Oracle name on Trolla became Orko's kinship with Prince Adam who relates with all the same struggles.

#2 Roboto origin being no longer from Planet Robotica but a creation from Duncan.

#3 Sorceress had Teela (with Ducan) and gave her to Duncan before becoming the guardian of Grayskull.
    - - - - -
    ForEternia.com
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Fan Site

- - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    Executive Producer Ted Biaselli detailed how all the Filmation episodes count less three changes they made:

#1 Orko being such a master wizard on his homeworld - his explaination: why in the world would he stay at Eternia if it made him magically inept, plus leaving his girlfriend behind on Trolla, family, etc. Changing Orko instead to struggle with magic everywhere and trying to win the approval of his parents and live up to his Oracle name on Trolla became Orko's kinship with Prince Adam who relates with all the same struggles.

#2 Roboto origin being no longer from Planet Robotica but a creation from Duncan.

#3 Sorceress had Teela (with Ducan) and gave her to Duncan before becoming the guardian of Grayskull.
    I was under the impression he couldn't go back, due to his magic not working, but then again the sorceress could teleport him.

Executive Producer Ted Biaselli detailed...
    Link, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'm seeing a divide between people who enjoy a certain time frame of the franchise vs people who like to see that story continue. Not sure how to put it. Maybe like people who would rather watch a show that's about characters they like that goes on and on but never really advances you know? Like the characters don't age and the multiple stories could happen days apart. More like your average old school sitcom. And then there are fans that want the story to move and keep going. They like a continuity and don't want things to be the same old forever. Maybe that's part of why some love it vs the ones that don't?
    Perhaps this is a component of that divide for some. Both these Netflix Revelation and CG shows avoid the the self contained episode storytelling and instead advances, that save the world narrative.

But just over the last day I'm reading from many who don't like the show, a mirroring of the same ideological criticsms as those YouTube media influencers, so I personally think there's much more to the general divide.

- - - Updated - - -

Link, please.
    Gone now unfortunately. A ToyGalaxy Twitch streamed non-permanent-hosted interview with Ted Biaselli. Many of us watched it and discussed it on this and the positivity thread. It's too bad too, because Ted went into the messianic aspects of He-Man in the series, and the name Revelation and Revelations in the Bible not being a coincidence. It was really fascinating.
    Last edited by Voodoo Magic; December 2, 2021 at 07:39am.
    - - - - -
    ForEternia.com

- - - - -

Link to a discussion, then?

No, there really wasn't any Castle Grayskull origin lore to pull from in the 1983 Filmation Series episode's, but there was existing lore in a MOTU Story LP from the same year (1983).

- - - Updated - - -

Link to a discussion, then?
    You want me to go searching instead of you through this thread? lol Sure, why not. But it will be in a little while. Got stuff to do at the moment.
    Last edited by Voodoo Magic; December 2, 2021 at 08:21am.
    - - - - -
    ForEternia.com

- - - - -

You want me to go searching instead of you through this thread?
    No, but the search function gives me an error message. I'll dig, no worries.

Sorry, should've made myself more clear. I meant in terms of the characters. I fail to see how the new show's characterizations contradict those from the old show. Not going to argue with anyone feeling so, as 99% of any discussion about this show actually boils down to "you are wrong and I am right". Just saying that I don't agree with those claiming that the characters have totally different personalities in "Revelation".
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Sorry, should've made myself more clear. I meant in terms of the characters. I fail to see how the new show's characterizations contradict those from the old show. Not going to argue with anyone feeling so, as 99% of any discussion about this show actually boils down to "you are wrong and I am right". Just saying that I don't agree with those claiming that the characters have totally different personalities in "Revelation".
    100% Agree, and I found these claims are often from people who don't actually re-watch the entire Filmation series but just rely on a vague memory of it and their favorite episodes... due to and because they keep being corrected about their knowledge of the Filmation series in this very thread!
    Last edited by Voodoo Magic; December 2, 2021 at 09:02am.
    - - - - -
    ForEternia.com

- - - - -

Heroic Warrior
    So what if it was or wasn’t? It was part of the series Bible and the toy line. Mattel doesn’t have the rights to Filmation, those are with Dreamworks now. They referred to their own materials. There is a reference to it in the storybooks though. Another quote and source being the read along storybook, Castle Grayskull.

The origin of Castle Grayskull was related in the read-along book "Castle Grayskull" [12] as once being the beautiful "Hall of Wisdom," the "center of Eternian culture and a storehouse of all knowledge of the universe." The Hall was the meeting place of the Council of Elders. One day, the elders saw a vision of a beautiful woman dressed in snake armor (note that this description matches early versions of Teela AND the Sorceress, see for example,[13] but story-wise it is intended to be Sorceress) who warned of future danger and also the coming of He-Man. The Elders concentrated all of their power into a magical orb. The Elders then magically transformed the Hall of Wisdom into Castle Grayskull in order to frighten away intruders and protect the orb. This was to have all taken place several centuries before the coming of He-Man. The Castle was then largely forgotten until Man-At-Arms eventually led Prince Adam to Castle Grayskull, where Prince Adam became He-Man using the Sword of Power.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Grayskull

So it was used in official material from Mattel, a story book with a read along cassette, so Smith and David didn’t contradict anything and in fact they went deeper into the lore than Filmation or MYP or even Nietlich’s fanfic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20359581683...MaArr2EALw_wcB

You all bring up Filmation all the time but, while it’s certainly influential, Mattel had a richer and deeper lore and it was their product, not Filmation’s, with which to tell a story. Their lore counts as the classic 80s story. Not just Filmation.

No, but the search function gives me an error message. I'll dig, no worries.
    Yeah, I think we all get the error message unfortunately. It's a bit frustrating.

Already dug. Here's an area where we talked about it some. Just scroll through this page:

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...Series/page264

And its advertisement:

Last edited by Voodoo Magic; December 2, 2021 at 09:08am.
    - - - - -
    ForEternia.com

- - - - -

You're awesome! Thanks.

You're awesome! Thanks.
    Happy to help.
    - - - - -
    ForEternia.com