Page 339 of 403 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,475 of 10068

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

Heroic Warrior
    And yet the story they crafted canít ever work as a sequel, knowingly in any way, as a sequel to Filmation. At all. They donít even have the rights to it and thatís public knowledge. They also clarified later they didnít have those rights. But it does work as a continuation of the ďstoryĒ meaning the same basic set up and assumptions in the same way that Spider-man: Homecoming is a continuation of the classic Stan Lee/Steve Ditko Spider-man story. Kid get powers of a spider, misuses them, uncle gets killed as a result, dedicates his life to helping others as Spider-man as a way to redeem his inaction, cue ongoing misadventures. MOTU: Prince Adam is the Prince of Eternia, Man-At-Arms leads him to Castle Grayskull where the Sorceress gives him the Power Sword granting him the power to become He-man. Teela is secretly her daughter, Skeletor a demon from another dimension trying to unlock the secrets of Grayskull for himself to rule Eternia and the key to unlocking those secrets if the Power Sword. Only MAA, Orko, Cringer and the Sorceress know Adam is He-man. Cue misadventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    The fact that you spend so much time being a superfan responding to all negative criticism is probably why you have no recollection of how much time I spent defending the first half of the show. Sorry for not being a blind super fan who cant acknowledge faults in the same show.
    This is deflection. You know my reply wasn't a commentary on you "not being a blind super fan" <-lol but rather a retort to a snide remark.
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Podcast
    Masters of the Universe Podcast

ForEternia.com
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Fan Site

- - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    They donít even have the rights to it and thatís public knowledge.
    Only for those who went to the trouble of reading every single tweet released by the makers of the show. I doubt that the casuals who watched the show and just have fond memories bothered with such clarifications.

So, question - for those who watched the show to the end, because I have yet to bring myself to do so:

Is it ever explained why Evil Lyn destroys Preternia ala Thanos, yet for Eternia she has to conjure an army ala Lord of the Rings? Is it ever stated why she doesn't do the same thing other than 'we need to do an epic battle just because'?

An existential tantrum brought on by the pointlessness of all life, so far as she could tell. Once she had that power and looked into the void she didn't see any meaning to life. So the pains of her life suddenly had no meaning either, ie, there was no way to redeem them, to transform that pain into something meaningful to her. The struggles, including everything she had done to make up for her parents trying to eat her and all the awfulness that came after that, meant nothing. She didn't mean anything and neither did anyone else. So might as well destroy it.

Why she didn't just end her life instead of everyone else's, I don't know. I'd have to watch it again, which I will at some point. Maybe she was upset at all the previous heroes in Preternia for not making a difference in her life. The other champions aren't gods, but they are in heaven and were the major forces for good, so maybe she blamed them for not fixing the world, for not making the world a better place, for not defeating the evil that caused her parents to try to eat her, that resulted in Skeletor abusing her for all those years, for all the pains and death and destruction that play out on a daily basis. This is just me thinking things through, putting myself into her shoes. I don't recall her saying this, but I don't remember everything she said. Maybe she had other reasons.

A lot of time destructive urges come straight from the unconscious so maybe she doesn't even know why she did it.

I think the fact that she did kill others instead of herself points to her actually being, to some degree, evil.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it's not really killing if you are ending the existence of a being in heaven, but to me its basically the same. Actually it's worse because if you kill someone and there is an afterlife, they still get to exist. But wiping out the last traces of someone (assuming there is nothing beyond Preternia), is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    An existential tantrum brought on by the pointlessness of all life, so far as she could tell. Once she had that power and looked into the void she didn't see any meaning to life. So the pains of her life suddenly had no meaning either, ie, there was no way to redeem them, to transform that pain into something meaningful to her. The struggles, including everything she had done to make up for her parents trying to eat her and all the awfulness that came after that, meant nothing. She didn't mean anything and neither did anyone else. So might as well destroy it.

Why she didn't just end her life instead of everyone else's, I don't know. I'd have to watch it again, which I will at some point. Maybe she was upset at all the previous heroes in Preternia for not making a difference in her life. The other champions aren't gods, but they are in heaven and were the major forces for good, so maybe she blamed them for not fixing the world, for not making the world a better place, for not defeating the evil that caused her parents to try to eat her, that resulted in Skeletor abusing her for all those years, for all the pains and death and destruction that play out on a daily basis. This is just me thinking things through, putting myself into her shoes. I don't recall her saying this, but I don't remember everything she said. Maybe she had other reasons.

A lot of time destructive urges come straight from the unconscious so maybe she doesn't even know why she did it.

I think the fact that she did kill others instead of herself points to her actually being, to some degree, evil.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it's not really killing if you are ending the existence of a being in heaven, but to me its basically the same. Actually it's worse because if you kill someone and there is an afterlife, they still get to exist. But wiping out the last traces of someone (assuming there is nothing beyond Preternia), is worse.
    I am not asking why she became genocidal - I am asking why didn't she just 'Thanos' Eternia like she did with Preternia. Was there a narrative reason - some kind of protective spell, the fact that Grayskull and the Orb reside there, Evil Lyn flat out saying she wants to kill the Eternians the old fashioned way to make it more fun, *something* that doesn't just scream bad writing?

As to why she didn't just destroy Eternia... there'd be no show. So I think the writers just needed to show a fight. Probably Teela's power prevented her from doing it. Yeah, I agree with you - it didn't make logical sense to me. I would think it's harder to wipe out heaven than to wipe out earth, but I guess not. I don't think the cause and effect, logical narrative of the show was very tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaidas View Post
    I am not asking why she became genocidal - I am asking why didn't she just 'Thanos' Eternia like she did with Preternia. Was there a narrative reason - some kind of protective spell, the fact that Grayskull and the Orb reside there, Evil Lyn flat out saying she wants to kill the Eternians the old fashioned way to make it more fun, *something* that doesn't just scream bad writing?
    There was no explanation why, no. They really shouldn't have had Evil-Lyn destroy Preternia. It was just dumb and made her irredeemable. You are right that it doesn't make sense that she wouldn't just "snap" Eternia as well.

The best part about the whole back and forth of bad writing is that for the most part of they didn't do half the things the way they did there would be more of us screaming bad story.

Pacing and unknowns really took a hit in part 2.

What can and can't a sorceress of grayskull do?
    Teela should have been stuck in the castle as a protector of grayskull period. Her " love interest" literally has been able to come and go from the castle at will since the beginning. Adding in the APEX event? Why was that even necessary? You had a complete story Kevin why did you go and overreach?

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    The best part about the whole back and forth of bad writing is that for the most part of they didn't do half the things the way they did there would be more of us screaming bad story.

Pacing and unknowns really took a hit in part 2.

What can and can't a sorceress of grayskull do?
    Teela should have been stuck in the castle as a protector of grayskull period. Her " love interest" literally has been able to come and go from the castle at will since the beginning. Adding in the APEX event? Why was that even necessary? You had a complete story Kevin why did you go and overreach?
    That was a big problem for me too, and part of why I was checked out of the ending. The whole Superman v Batman or Spiderman v Hulk fights are interesting in part because we know their powers and it's exciting to see how they will use them against the other. But with Teela and Existential-Lyn, who knows. It's whatever needs to happen to make a cool scene. It's not just a problem with MOTUR though. Iron Man is really guilty of this. Captain Marvel too. Many other characters could be thrown into the discussion too.

That was a big problem for me too, and part of why I was checked out of the ending. The whole Superman v Batman or Spiderman v Hulk fights are interesting in part because we know their powers and it's exciting to see how they will use them against the other. But with Teela and Existential-Lyn, who knows. It's whatever needs to happen to make a cool scene. It's not just a problem with MOTUR though. Iron Man is really guilty of this. Captain Marvel too. Many other characters could be thrown into the discussion too.
    I think not knowing the extent of a character's powers is a bit iffy, but it can be corrected when the narrative explains the why's and why nots. If you're going to have the arch villain fight the protagonist right after blowing all of the hero's friends up by doing a single clap, you should at least give a narrative reason why doesn't the villain just clap again and blow up the hero. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense. Even a line like "I could just clap and blow you up ... but I think that beating the living snot out of you would be much more satisfying" could do wonders in such an occasion.

But yeah, this is a problem many writers face when making super-powered beings who perform deux-ex-machina level feats.

For example, if you think about it, it's extremely foolish of Frieza to fly back to Earth to find and challenge Goku in a rematch, when he could just blow up the Earth from orbit with a Death Ball. There *is* a solution to this without making it look silly on Frieza's behalf, but Toriyama never bothered to go that 'deep'.
    Last edited by Nikolaidas; December 3, 2021 at 01:57pm.

Existential-Lyn
    Nice.

As to why she didn't just destroy Eternia... there'd be no show. So I think the writers just needed to show a fight. Probably Teela's power prevented her from doing it. Yeah, I agree with you - it didn't make logical sense to me. I would think it's harder to wipe out heaven than to wipe out earth, but I guess not. I don't think the cause and effect, logical narrative of the show was very tight.
    Dark Lyn said to Eternia that she wanted to take away their eternal reward. To free Eternians from the shackles of spirituality and embrace the chaos. What's worse than death? A coming death after knowing any chance of the afterlife is gone. It's pretty twisted when you think of it.

In regards to Lyn's army, it seemed like an amused response to Adam saying, as all of Eternia stood against her, there's not a single soul that will stand for you now. It was like an... Oh yeah, no soul to stand for me? Watch this! Then Subternian souls rise and Scare Glow swares for Dark-Lyn. I liked it.
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Podcast

ForEternia.com

- - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    In regards to Lyn's army, it seemed like an amused response to Adam saying, as all of Eternia stood against her, there's not a single soul that will stand for you now. It was like an... Oh yeah, no soul to stand for me? Watch this! Then Subternian souls rise and Scare Glow swares for Dark-Lyn. I liked it.
    She is still risking defeat by giving her enemies a chance to counterattack. And frankly it seems like a lot of bother for someone who can literally end this all with just a snap of her fingers. I think that Teela telling her in the end something along the lines of, "Do you know why you didn't destroy us like you did with Preternia? Because deep down ... you wanted us to stop you." Which would make sense with this 'not really evil Evil Lyn but actually really hurting Evil Lyn'.

My opinion, anyway. I just think it's kinda silly to see Evil Lyn destroying heaven with a snap and then swordfighting with Adam one on one with Skeletor's support.

The Skeletor/Adam team up was a cool fight sequence, I admit. Just saw it.

Oh yeah, if I was moderator, I'd drill down on this for sure!
    Yeah. Itís basically some rando person advertising their own blog or YouTube channel on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Yeah. Itís basically some rando person advertising their own blog or YouTube channel on this forum.
    You got me - I'm the Critical Drinker.

You got me - I'm the Critical Drinker.
    Sadly that would explain alot . Lol

But who's to say that they aren't someone on the forums. I'd never admit to who I actually am if I had a gig like that or better. That's asking for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Yeah. It’s basically some rando person advertising their own blog or YouTube channel on this forum.
    I wouldn't personally suggest all that, but all I know is, if you're pulling stuff from the internet to complain about here, for episodes you haven't even watched, it's 100% trolling and I have no time for it.

At least we identified it now.
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Podcast

ForEternia.com

- - - - -

I think that Teela telling her in the end something along the lines of, "Do you know why you didn't destroy us like you did with Preternia? Because deep down ... you wanted us to stop you." Which would make sense with this 'not really evil Evil Lyn but actually really hurting Evil Lyn'.
    Part 2 lost me a bit when Evil-Lyn started her whole "I'm killing everything, starting with heaven!" thing and throwing in something like you said above would've helped a lot to sell her being corrupted by the power and losing her way.

I wouldn't personally suggest all that, but all I know is, if you're pulling stuff from the internet to complain about here, for episodes you haven't even watched, it's 100% trolling and I have no time for it.

At least we identified it now.
    So even though I've watched 7 out of 10 episodes and read what the last three are about, I don't have a right to criticize the show and I merely 'troll' for not liking it, despite providing legitimate reasons.

That about it? Is that what you're telling me?

It seems there is no point in pointing out any of the inconsistent writing as the Kevin Smith fans will make any excuse for it.
    One minute it's a sequel to the Filmation show, then it's based on the toys and books etc.
    In the Filmation Bible and a book "New Champions of Eternia" it says Evil-Lyn is from Earth.

Making Teela the Sorceress is fine but the overall story of Revelations is absolutely terrible.

Inconsistent, bad writing is so metal.
    Last edited by Mark M; December 3, 2021 at 03:09pm.

Dark Lyn said to Eternia that she wanted to take away their eternal reward. To free Eternians from the shackles of spirituality and embrace the chaos. What's worse than death? A coming death after knowing any chance of the afterlife is gone. It's pretty twisted when you think of it.

Thank you for the info. I couldn't remember - I probably shouldn't have chimed in on that one!

Yeah, I agree with you - what she did was worse that just killing someone. And Evil-Lyn's story was the one I liked, though I hated what she did with Preternia. It was too twisted for MOTU, I thought. I'd dig it in another mythos, in another story, but not for MOTU.
    Last edited by jibernish; December 3, 2021 at 03:19pm.

Heroic Warrior

Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

What you all missedÖ she wasnít a sorceress of Grayskull. Just because Skeletor gave her a dress and called her that didnít make it so. It was more of his gas lighting and abuse. He put her in a box. He told her he gave her unlimited power and then told her she couldnít leave. He then abused and manipulated her. She never entered the well. And heís just mad enough he believed his own lies. Itís kind of the point of abuser/abused relationships. They each believe the abuserís lies. That you didnít pick up on it isnít bad writing. Itís bad watching. When he shared it with her and she went over the precipice he was always pushing her towards he became frightened of the monster he created. He knew he lied and she always had her own power and agency. Now she was going to destroy everything to get revenge on him and he went to his enemies to protect him. Just like the coward he is, like the bully abuser.

Sure, she destroyed Preternia and was forgiven. But if she was forgiven donít you think that meansÖ when Teela said letís restore this stuff that they restored everything? Is it bad writing to assume the viewer is intelligent enough to assume that or do we really need dialogue to demonstrate all that like Reed Richards narrating the rocket launch in a Fantastic Four comic telling us exactly what the panel is already saying?

Last edited by Parzival; December 3, 2021 at 03:30pm.

Hmmm. I'm back on this again. But Evil-Lyn didn't give any explanation as to why she didn't wipe out Eternia? I can infer what she was thinking based on what you said. Maybe she didn't want to kill everyone, but to take away their hope and leave them to live their lives in the fear and hopelessness she lived her life in. Maybe... again I'm just conjecturing. I'm honestly enjoying this discussion more than I did the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    It seems there is no point in pointing out any of the inconsistent writing as the Kevin Smith fans will make any excuse for it.
    One minute it's a sequel to the Filmation show, then it's based on the toys and books etc.
    In the Filmation Bible and a book "New Champions of Eternia" it says Evil-Lyn is from Earth.
    I find this a tad misleading. It would seem, if there was not an explanation in the actual Filmation cartoons, the creators pulled inspiration from elsewhere to their choosing. Like Castle Grayskull, it's origin was never made clear in the Filmation series, so the creators pulled from other sources, like the 1983 Story LP or the Filmation Bible. If there was no answer in the Filmation series (less the three artistic licenses they decided to take in three areas) the creators could pull from any lore, create something on their own, or create a hybrid of the two.
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Podcast

ForEternia.com

- - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    What you all missedÖ she wasnít a sorceress of Grayskull. Just because Skeletor gave her a dress and called her that didnít make it so. It was more of his gas lighting and abuse. He put her in a box. He told her he gave her unlimited power and then told her she couldnít leave. He then abused and manipulated her. She never entered the well. And heís just mad enough he believed his own lies. Itís kind of the point of abuser/abused relationships. They each believe the abuserís lies. That you didnít pick up on it isnít bad writing. Itís bad watching.

No, that is bad writing. There is nothing in the show to back up that she wasn't actually the Sorceress. It's possible since she didn't enter the well, but since it wasn't explained we don't know for sure.