Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Netflix Series

Widget
    Big yikes from a lot of this thread tonight folks! Let's try to keep things a bit more focused please?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    Something that got lost in the latest round of outrage was Griffin Newman, who’s playing Orko (and was Arthur in the cancelled way too soon Amazon adaptation of The Tick) was defending Smith and saying that the producer of the series is an MOTU super fan who would never let the series be turned into something like Princesses of Power.

https://twitter.com/GriffLightning/s...866629122?s=20

Look, I get it. Everyone hated She-Ra. But it’s crazy just how easy the outrage fire spreads to the point where the people involved say “No, this won’t be like She-Ra”, they’re the liars, and the rumor mongers are telling the truth. It feels like people just want to be angry. This outrage mob won’t be happy unless Catra’s dead body is on screen.
    Screenshot_2020-05-31 She-Ra and the Princesses of Power.png....
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    Something that got lost in the latest round of outrage was Griffin Newman, who’s playing Orko (and was Arthur in the cancelled way too soon Amazon adaptation of The Tick) was defending Smith and saying that the producer of the series is an MOTU super fan who would never let the series be turned into something like Princesses of Power.

https://twitter.com/GriffLightning/s...866629122?s=20
    Oh, there's some good (yet obvious) information from this guy: "New MOTU series is a continuation of the old MOTU series, so it’s in continuity with the old SHE-RA since the Netflix SHE-RA is a reboot."
    https://twitter.com/GriffLightning/s...00580273995777
    Noelle can forget about her horrible crossover proposal.
    Last edited by Chris85; June 4, 2020 at 10:44am.

Unless there's a multi-verse storyline at some point. Fingers crossed- it could be fun!

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Say it is a continuation of the Filmation series... let's speculate where it will pick up...

1. after the final episode of He-Man
    2. after the comic strip that actually continued the Filmation series
    3. after the final episode of She-Ra
    4. After New Adventures when He-Man and Skeletor return to Eternia? Maybe the fallout of what when on while they were in space?
    5. other ideas?
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    Oh, there's some good (yet obvious) information from this guy: "New MOTU series is a continuation of the old MOTU series, so it’s in continuity with the old SHE-RA since the Netflix SHE-RA is a reboot."
    https://twitter.com/GriffLightning/s...00580273995777
    Noelle can forget about her horrible crossover proposal.
    Best news I've read all day. Revelations shouldn't touch Netflix She-Ra with a 10 foot sword!

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Say it is a continuation of the Filmation series... let's speculate where it will pick up...

4. After New Adventures when He-Man and Skeletor return to Eternia? Maybe the fallout of what when on while they were in space?
    5. other ideas?
    After the final episode of He-Man from everything I've read. It would be cool if it happened right after "The Problem with Power", but I don't think the first episode will be a direct continuation of a specific episode of the original. The show will just take all past episodes into account.

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post

5. other ideas?
    The one thing I'm confused about is where is there a place to continue from? The Filmation He-Man and She-Ra shows didn't really have any continuous story arc or definitive end point. Almost every episode was an independent adventure that rarely referenced events in other episodes. One didn't get the sense that there was any real passage of time either, and character development was rare as well. I think that's what made the cancellation of both shows so frustrating for fans in the 80's - we were left in suspense as to whether a true narrative would eventually develop. The agonizing question plaguing our young minds: "what became of all my favourite heroes and villains??" MOTU was treated with even less respect in this regard than the other two big properties of the 80's - G.I. Joe and Transformers.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Best news I've read all day. Revelations shouldn't touch Netflix She-Ra with a 10 foot sword!
    Whatʼs news about Revelation being (allegedly) a continuation (or rather, a violence-ridden fork, subverting the militantly anti-violence essence) of the Filmation canon (which itself was highly divergent from the early Conanesque, sword-and-sorcery-meets-ancient-mysterious-tech minicomics canon with no Supermanesque secret-identity business nor child-oriented talking pets nor comic-relief goofiness), and therefore completely unrelated to the separate, free-standing, She-Ra-on-her-own-terms-with-no-He-Man modern reboot canon?

Weʼve known this from the very first announcement Kevin made of his series, where he went out of his way to vocally point out that his series was going to be really, totally, absolutely “true to the source” (using the exact same kind of rhetoric that the gamergate crowd were concurrently using to attack and defame Noelleʼs series).

OTOH, if the entertainment industry can crossover anything with literally anything else that they see fit, whenever they see fit, whether it makes any sense or not whatsoever, I see no hurdle why the powers that be would balk at an eventual crossover between Netflix She-Ra and Revelation that they might think interesting for their financial benefit. Even if it could be very cogently argued for it to make zero conceptual sense; not only because of the incompatibility between canons (though thereʼs no miracle that retconning cannot work!), but also given that Kevinʼs series was presented as a reactionary reaction against Noelleʼs series and these two showrunners are like oil and water, very unlike each other in terms of their attitudes and outlooks and preoccupations and just their overall personalities and life interests and talentedness.

So yes, I agree with you itʼs much better that Kevin stays as far away as possible from Noelleʼs masterpiece, as he could only ruin it.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Whatʼs news about Revelation being (allegedly) a continuation (or rather, a violence-ridden fork, subverting the militantly anti-violence essence) of the Filmation canon (which itself was highly divergent from the early Conanesque, sword-and-sorcery-meets-ancient-mysterious-tech minicomics canon with no Supermanesque secret-identity business nor child-oriented talking pets nor comic-relief goofiness), and therefore completely unrelated to the separate, free-standing, She-Ra-on-her-own-terms-with-no-He-Man modern reboot canon?

Weʼve known this from the very first announcement Kevin made of his series, where he went out of his way to vocally point out that his series was going to be really, totally, absolutely “true to the source” (using the exact same kind of rhetoric that the gamergate crowd were concurrently using to attack and defame Noelleʼs series).

OTOH, if the entertainment industry can crossover anything with literally anything else that they see fit, whenever they see fit, whether it makes any sense or not whatsoever, I see no hurdle why the powers that be would balk at an eventual crossover between Netflix She-Ra and Revelation that they might think interesting for their financial benefit. Even if it could be very cogently argued for it to make zero conceptual sense; not only because of the incompatibility between canons (though thereʼs no miracle that retconning cannot work!), but also given that Kevinʼs series was presented as a reactionary reaction against Noelleʼs series and these two showrunners are like oil and water, very unlike each other in terms of their attitudes and outlooks and preoccupations and just their overall personalities and life interests and talentedness.

So yes, I agree with you itʼs much better that Kevin stays as far away as possible from Noelleʼs masterpiece, as he could only ruin it.
    You can't say Kevin would ruin it because nobody has yet seen his take on MOTU.

Widget
    I agree with most of your post but I don't think Kevin could really "ruin" the new She-Ra series. A small tongue-in-the-cheek cameo could be even funny.

Heroic Warrior

Can you even ruin something that is already in ruins?

Widget
    Masterpiece? Really? (I’ll just say no, and leave it at that).

Admittedly my frustration (and part of why I wanted to post) was that they haven’t shown anything of the series save one teaser poster and some brief sound clips of Mark Hamill and Lena Headey‘s voice work (which sounds pretty good). To immediately condemn it based on wild rumors and then condemn the creative staff for denying the rumors is just frustrating. At least wait for a trailer.

I'm fine with Netflix She-Ra being its own thing, and would actually be disappointed if She-Ra appeared in Revelation and she WASN'T the character that was already a part of the original continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveFork View Post
    I'm fine with Netflix She-Ra being its own thing, and would actually be disappointed if She-Ra appeared in Revelation and she WASN'T the character that was already a part of the original continuity.
    Agreed - keep baby She-Ra relegated to her own easily ignored universe.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOrko View Post
    I agree with most of your post but I don't think Kevin could really "ruin" the new She-Ra series. A small tongue-in-the-cheek cameo could be even funny.
    I'm really hoping we get a crossover tbh. I presume the Netflix guy is reading this because if he's a MOTU superfan, he's on this site, so like, please try to get a Christmas crossover. The idea of a dark and gritty He-Man meeting the fairly silly Netflix She-Ra is hilarious.

Also, the Eternia flower's gotta be in this, right? I mean, Kevin Smith is showrunner.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    The idea of a dark and gritty He-Man meeting the fairly silly Netflix She-Ra is hilarious.
    I'm reminded of that scene in "Turtles Forever" in which the cartoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles meet the original Mirage comic book Turtles. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Agreed - keep baby She-Ra relegated to her own easily ignored universe.
    "Baby She-Ra"... If Netflix She-Ra is "for babies", I don't know what you could possibly call Filmation She-Ra.

I'm really hoping we get a crossover tbh. I presume the Netflix guy is reading this because if he's a MOTU superfan, he's on this site, so like, please try to get a Christmas crossover.
    He's no MotU superfan, that's for sure (though neither was Noelle, at least not from the get-go). He's really only a superfan of himself and his superinflated ego. And he has had no perceivable interaction with this forum that I know of, very unlike Scott Neitlich during his Classics tenure at Mattel.

By the time he was already doing that fanfare "look at me! I'm so cool!" presentation/self-adulation of the new series at PowerCon, he was still trying to get a workable hold of many MotUverse basics, which he had to ask people around because he had no clue (and apparently couldn't [care to] do his homework by himself). He's as much of a newcomer to MotU as Noelle was at first, but with the key difference that Noelle was born on New Year's Eve 1991, so she literally wasn't around during the vintage era (although she cared to plunge herself into every version and era of the MotUverse lore at large, even before submitting her initial pitch, and her series has incorporated into its core fundamentals stuff borrowed from almost every MotUverse corner, including such non-mainstream/obscure/hardcore sources as New Adventures, the source of Mara's name and her overall visual design, and Neitlich's Classics-bios narrative, the source of the Etheria-in-Despondos and the multiple-He-Men-through-the-ages ideas). Whereas Kevin was born in August 1970, so he is actually a senior to many/most of us, who even though he's lived throughout the entire vintage era, clearly wasn't that much interested in MotU at all. Until now that, for some unfathomable reason, he was chosen for the job of showrunning Revelation for Netflix.

Yeah, one might argue that by 1982 he was already some 12 years old and outgrowing toy play, and that's why he didn't get into MotU at the time. But that merely adds proof why he wasn't an optimal choice to begin with for showrunning a series aimed at the old-guard fan demographic, which he is an outsider in regard to and does not truly represent in any way, when on the other hand there were so many very capable and very knowledgeable people from within the old-guard fandom that could have been chosen as optimal for that role. Whereas Noelle is a millenial whose work has had high resonance and impact among the people of her generation and younger, with a brilliant, unimpeachable career for her young age (unlike Kevin's highly polarizing or just plain mediocre output), and therefore a perfect choice to lead a new show aimed at that kind of demographic who, like herself, had had no previous exposure to anything MotU.

idea of a dark and gritty He-Man meeting the fairly silly Netflix She-Ra is hilarious.
    "Fairly silly Netflix She-Ra"? Have you actually watched the show? Netflix She-Ra features the deepest, most nuanced, most complex, best played-out character-development and character-interrelationship narratives that MotU has ever received in any medium so far, period. It beats the 200X era by a mile (and that's saying something!) and leaves the Filmation era at almost child's play level by comparison. Kevin's team have a titan's task before them if they are aiming for even close to this highest mark set by Noelle's exceptionally talented team. Though I'm guessing (and fearing) he's far more preocuppied with shoehorning his signature "nerdy" bad jokes and "look! look! wow! see what I did there" dumb twists, along with unnecessarily dark-n'-gritty, blood-n'-gore, "fighty-fighty" stuff (as that was one of the aspects he thought paramount to highlight at his PowerCon presentation, along with stressing how he was going to be acting as the one true keeper of MotU's real true essence).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

He's no MotU superfan, that's for sure (though neither was Noelle, at least not from the get-go). He's really only a superfan of himself and his superinflated ego. And he has had no perceivable interaction with this forum that I know of, very unlike Scott Neitlich during his Classics tenure at Mattel.
    Easy there. You’re referring to the wrong person there. You’re diatribe seems to be referring to Kevin Smith. But the previous poster was referring to the Netflix exec who most certainly IS a huge fan of Masters of the Universe who has been at every single Power Con from the beginning.

Make sure you have your facts straight before you start dragging someone.

BTW, Kevin Smith has been upfront with the fact that he wasn’t a huge fan. But, he’s also said this project has become one of the best things he’s worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcope View Post
    Easy there. You’re referring to the wrong person there. You’re diatribe seems to be referring to Kevin Smith. But the previous poster was referring to the Netflix exec who most certainly IS a huge fan of Masters of the Universe who has been at every single Power Con from the beginning.

Make sure you have your facts straight before you start dragging someone.
    He talked about "the Netflix guy". That could be interpreted as referring to "the guy running the Netflix show" as much as it could be interpreted as referring to "the executive guy at Netflix". It's not my fault his expression was vague and ambiguous, and for my part I did make it clear I was talking about Kevin and not any exec guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcope View Post
    But, he’s also said this project has become one of the best things he’s worked on.
    I'm really hoping the rest of the team, which includes people like Mark Hamill and Lena Heady who are far more talented than the showrunner, will be able to make up for Kevin's mediocrity, so that the show turns out to be at least acceptably good. But I'm not holding too much faith for the moment, to be honest, judging by Kevin's previous body of work. Although those teased voice-acting clips sound promising... so I'm really looking forward to the release of some final artwork/shots/trailer to hopefully prove me wrong.

Being a big fan of something isn't always essential when it comes to adaptations or new entries in established franchises. As long as you understand what you're doing, do your research and have conviction in what you're creating, then you should do alright. Being an uber fan isn't really a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Being a big fan of something isn't always essential when it comes to adaptations or new entries in established franchises. As long as you understand what you're doing, do your research and have conviction in what you're creating, then you should do alright. Being an uber fan isn't really a necessity.
    Indeed. In fact, it can be a liability.

I am absolutely looking forward to MOTU Revelations, the other New MOTU series and the movie!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Denying that Netflix She-Ra has a lot of silly moments? Yeah, sure, sure...
    It has tons of moments when its characters are acting silly for comic relief. And constantly screaming characters isn't a signature of a serious, deep show either. I mean I get that you're a super fan of the show, but...
    Would I prefer an incompetent and silly Sea Hawk from Netflix She-Ra (who embarasses even his own GF) or skillful, confident Sea Hawk from the original? It's a no-brainer. It's just one example why Netflix She-Ra is indeed fairly silly despite some of its advantages.
    Both She-Ra shows are for kids, but both have serious themes. I think you can call some moments in the original silly when characters are laughing, but it's not particularly funny.
    I've said a number of times before that the original show does a much better job showing how people are suffering under the Horde regime, it paints quite a dark picture for a kid's show.
    Last edited by Chris85; June 6, 2020 at 05:20am.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    I've said a number of times before that the original show does a much better job showing how people are suffering under the Horde regime, it paints quite a dark picture for a kid's show.
    That is true. I absolutely love the new She-Ra, and it did introduce us to some other species/races of Etherians... but the original series did give a better sense that the Horde was threatening (destroying books, burning villages, enslaving peasants to work in mines, etc) citizens on the daily on a much grander scale. You got the sense Hordak HAD conquered Etheria, whereas in the new show it felt more like their origin story or something... where you saw little bits and pieces of progress they were making, but it never felt quite really "all the way" until those last final episodes.
    The Horde felt "BIG" in the final season - and I do think it would have been cool to see that a bit more from the get-go.