Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from Super 7

I was excited for these until I saw the price. Bring the price down Super 7 or keep them.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I love ScumBug! I personally prefer the Archie version though...

Two others that I would love to see are Tattoo and Groundchuck!

https://www.toplessrobot.com/wp-cont...MNT92-16AL.jpg https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5036/...7efe6ca9d0.jpg

I'm a bit skeptical on the breadth of this line... at $50 a pop, I don't see it lasting long enough to get to all the characters we would like to see...
    I wonder if they might go down to $35 for other characters with fewer accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    I was excited for these until I saw the price. Bring the price down Super 7 or keep them.
    Super 7 Ultimates work out around £50 each while the NECA 2 packs cost £60! I haven't had the best experience with NECA's QC but that was 10 years ago and by all accounts their QC has improved. I would rather support NECA's cheaper, cartoon accurate and better articulated figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Super 7 Ultimates work out around £50 each while the NECA 2 packs cost £60! I haven't had the best experience with NECA's QC but that was 10 years ago and by all accounts their QC has improved. I would rather support NECA's cheaper, cartoon accurate and better articulated figures.
    I think I remember what NECA's versions look like. I'll have to look them up again to be sure. I hate this situation because I really love TMNT and I think the this first wave looks amazing but I know how these things work. My better judgment knows that $45 is actually closer to $55 when you add shipping. That's based on a single figure shipment of course not a complete wave but you get my point. $45 is too high as it is and then shipping (and tax by the way) gets thrown in. I love collecting action figures. It's one of the many things that brings me joy out of life and I've been doing it on and off for over 30 years but I'm not a "gotta have it". As far as I'm concerned, and I don't care how many of you disagree with me, if you can't keep these figures to a $25 - $30 price range, don't make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    I think I remember what NECA's versions look like. I'll have to look them up again to be sure. I hate this situation because I really love TMNT and I think the this first wave looks amazing but I know how these things work. My better judgment knows that $45 is actually closer to $55 when you add shipping. That's based on a single figure shipment of course not a complete wave but you get my point. $45 is too high as it is and then shipping (and tax by the way) gets thrown in. I love collecting action figures. It's one of the many things that brings me joy out of life and I've been doing it on and off for over 30 years but I'm not a "gotta have it". As far as I'm concerned, and I don't care how many of you disagree with me, if you can't keep these figures to a $25 - $30 price range, don't make them.
    $45 dollars is approaching the Mezco One:12 prices. In my opinion those figures really represent their higher points.
    But the Super 7 Ultimates are the same basic product with the same amount of accessories as a NECA Ultimate, Diamond Select and Marvel Legends figures except Super 7's cost almost twice as much.
    I also love collecting action figures although I have sold of the vast majority of my collection. I dabbled collecting almost every different 80s and 90s to present toyline I liked LOL. I am still going to buy figures but they will be focussed on only a couple lines and the same scale etc. I prefer to collect action figures that are actually toys and designed to be played with than just stand on a display shelf.

I reeeeeally like the look of these, that they'll display nicely with MOTUC, and that they come with so many goodies. I much prefer the Playmates source material to the old toon, too. Still, i doubt I'll be army-building Foot Soldiers n this, and I will never buy a wacky turtle variant (not that I really expect them to get made at all). I will absolutely plunk down my money for the turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Casey, April, Baxter, Fugitoid, Usagi (if he's even possible), Krang, Rat King, Bebop, Rocksteady, Traag, Mondo, Slash, and Leatherhead. Others will likely be a case-by-case (and then Thommy decides to buy it anyway) basis.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I really dig these sculpts, but I can't tell if they're sized to one another correctly. Is Raph gonna be the same height as The Shredder? Is Splinter going to be the same height as April? Ever since MotUC first came out, the height differences have always bugged me when they get ignored =(

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    I really dig these sculpts, but I can't tell if they're sized to one another correctly. Is Raph gonna be the same height as The Shredder? Is Splinter going to be the same height as April? Ever since MotUC first came out, the height differences have always bugged me when they get ignored =(
    They are not. They are all around the same height.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I reeeeeally like the look of these, that they'll display nicely with MOTUC, and that they come with so many goodies. I much prefer the Playmates source material to the old toon, too. Still, i doubt I'll be army-building Foot Soldiers n this, and I will never buy a wacky turtle variant (not that I really expect them to get made at all). I will absolutely plunk down my money for the turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Casey, April, Baxter, Fugitoid, Usagi (if he's even possible), Krang, Rat King, Bebop, Rocksteady, Traag, Mondo, Slash, and Leatherhead. Others will likely be a case-by-case (and then Thommy decides to buy it anyway) basis.
    The wacky variants I would be most intrigued by are the barbarian ones.

Warriors of the Forgotten Sewer from the 1996 wave.

Dwarf Don, Savage Leo, Warrior Bebop, and Gatekeeper Rocksteady were released.

Knight Mike and Spellcaster Splinter are unreleased prototype that have surfaced and would be cool from a He-Ro/Eldor type perspective.

Raphael had no planned figure in that line but the modern toys have done a Viking Raphael that might be stylistically “reverse engineered” into a neo-retro style companion figure.

These are footnotes in TMNT history but probably a lot more relevant at a company known for making He-Man, Thundercats, and Conan figures in a post-Game of Thrones and post-Critical Roll world where fantasy and D&D are more mainstream.

I would personally put these as top 3 picks for Super7 TMNT.

More likely IMHO are the basic disguise variants from the Playmates line which are the most iconic IMHO.

The 1990 wave had Undercover Don (with a Groucho Marx mask that could be an alternate head), Samurai Leo, Surfer Mike, and Space Cadet Raph. These are probably the most iconic variants — not the greatest but probably the biggest nostalgia inducing non-media versions. They come before TMNT’s popularity waned. They were in MANY people’s collections. MegaConstrux even had plans to homage them and did this version of Leo. They’re all ones that were reissued, I think.

I don’t think you need every screwball variant but these 4 basically act as representatives of the IDEA of screwball variants and come from a single wave to boot.

If you did 3 versions of TMNT excluding all cartoon/movie tie-ins, I’d say basic, 1990 disguise wave, and Forgotten Sewer are the ones to do. Caveman might be a contender but I think the TMNT themselves there were uninspired. Their dinosaur mounts were cool but the eye catcher of that era was Ninja Newscaster April which had April in white leopard barbarian fur and green and black ninja gear. It’s a nonsense figure but IMHO really belongs with the Forgotten Sewer stuff since Ninjas don’t usually wear fur bikinis.

If you did 3 Aprils, IMHO, the 3 would be original, orange and yellow jumpsuit with the “makeover” headsculpt, and Ninja Newscaster who I think is essentially a Forgotten Sewer figure a few years in advance as it’s basically a Conan genre April.

Again, IMHO, the Playmates line works best homaged in 3 figures for each character:

Classic, Peak Popularity Loud Color Screwball, and high fantasy.

Take Shredder!

Classic Shredder (hopefully with better body proportions and a shirt). Super Shredder and/or Slice ‘n Dice as peak screwball. Shogun Shredder as the fantasy version.

Heroic Warrior
    For these prices I sincerely hope for NO variants. The variants were the low area of the Playmates legacy. The only exception to that would be 'Trechcoat Turtles'. That was a common enough disguise for them from cartoons to movies that I could get behind them on the shelves.... but really, NOTHING else. There are SOOOOO many awesome B,C, and D listers that I'd hate for them to lose their spots for a Samurai Leo or Baseball Donnie.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    For these prices I sincerely hope for NO variants. The variants were the low area of the Playmates legacy. The only exception to that would be 'Trechcoat Turtles'. That was a common enough disguise for them from cartoons to movies that I could get behind them on the shelves.... but really, NOTHING else. There are SOOOOO many awesome B,C, and D listers that I'd hate for them to lose their spots for a Samurai Leo or Baseball Donnie.
    Concerning this line, I totally agree with you.

But, there will always be a special place in my heart for the Star Trek Turtles and, especially, the Universal Monsters Turtles!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

While understand what you are saying, if it wasn't for all the variants I doubt the TMNT line would have lasted as long as it did.
    But yes Super 7 shouldn't mess about with unneeded variants like MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior
    While understand what you are saying, if it wasn't for all the variants I doubt the TMNT line would have lasted as long as it did.
    I think if they’re positioning themselves as vintage toy nostalgia, ZERO variants would be disingenuous. For a lot of people, the variants were the first or only figures they had. And it doesn’t feel like a tribute to the toys AND NOT AT ALL the comics or movies without some variant stuff in there.

But no more than 2 extra variants per character strikes me as prudent. Granted, what I’m saying is more what I’d say if these were $25 figures and the $45 price tag wasn’t likely to scare me off to start with.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I think if they’re positioning themselves as vintage toy nostalgia, ZERO variants would be disingenuous. For a lot of people, the variants were the first or only figures they had. And it doesn’t feel like a tribute to the toys AND NOT AT ALL the comics or movies without some variant stuff in there.

But no more than 2 extra variants per character strikes me as prudent. Granted, what I’m saying is more what I’d say if these were $25 figures and the $45 price tag wasn’t likely to scare me off to start with.
    There's a catch 22 with that though too. Most of the people who only had a variant... were at least a LITTLE disappointed that was the one they were stuck with. Even as kids we recognized that Underwater net throwing Batman in tiger stripe costume wasn't the REAL Batman. We got it because it was all we could we find and wanted him. I loved my storage shell Donatello.. but that was after my 'real' Donatello broke and he was the closest I could find to replace him. Same with Battle Armor and Thunder Punch He-man. They were replacement He-mans.. and I always hated that I didn't have a 'Real' He-man anymore. The one from the books, mini-comics and cartoons... Same thing with Screaming Egon... I WANTED classic Ghostbusters with proton packs... but I got started too late and could only get the variants.

So yeah... there are some fond memories... but I don't recommend basing a financial line on that nostalgia. I think the people who are going to go after those are a VERY niche group and most would rather have the iconic ones available that they WANTEd and couldn't find back then. Especially with the price jacked up so high. If these things $15 - $20, I think more people would take those on a whim... but at $45?? I don't see them selling.

Even back then I thought that TMNT lasted too long. There comes a time where a toyline starts to flounder and if all they can do is change a costume... then it's not really worth continuing.

On a separate note... does anyone know how BIG the toy waves were back then? It seems like for any of the lines, TMNT, MOTU, GI Joe.... there would be times when we would get DOZENS of new toys on the shelves... but now? what is it... 4-5? I think that has something to do with variants too... if there are more slots for new characters, we can spare a couple slots for remakes...
    Last edited by phantom1592; September 27, 2019 at 07:39pm.

Heroic Warrior
    There's a catch 22 with that though too. Most of the people who only had a variant... were at least a LITTLE disappointed that was the one they were stuck with. Even as kids we recognized that Underwater net throwing Batman in tiger stripe costume wasn't the REAL Batman. We got it because it was all we could we find and wanted him. I loved my storage shell Donatello.. but that was after my 'real' Donatello broke and he was the closest I could find to replace him. Same with Battle Armor and Thunder Punch He-man. They were replacement He-mans.. and I always hated that I didn't have a 'Real' He-man anymore. The one from the books, mini-comics and cartoons... Same thing with Screaming Egon... I WANTED classic Ghostbusters with proton packs... but I got started too late and could only get the variants.

So yeah... there are some fond memories... but I don't recommend basing a financial line on that nostalgia. I think the people who are going to go after those are a VERY niche group and most would rather have the iconic ones available that they WANTEd and couldn't find back then. Especially with the price jacked up so high. If these things $15 - $20, I think more people would take those on a whim... but at $45?? I don't see them selling.

Even back then I thought that TMNT lasted too long. There comes a time where a toyline starts to flounder and if all they can do is change a costume... then it's not really worth continuing.

On a separate note... does anyone know how BIG the toy waves were back then? It seems like for any of the lines, TMNT, MOTU, GI Joe.... there would be times when we would get DOZENS of new toys on the shelves... but now? what is it... 4-5? I think that has something to do with variants too... if there are more slots for new characters, we can spare a couple slots for remakes...
    Waves weren’t exactly a thing for most lines until around 1995.

You had CROSS-SELLS but those weren’t necessarily the case assortments. You could have 2-3 year old figures in a case for many toylines and multiple cross sells at once so you might get 2-3 new figures with one cross sell (some of which might not be out yet) and 2-3 with another.

There are indexes you can get of what year stuff first came out and what the cross sells were but that didn’t necessarily align with releases except for small/new lines like Darkwing Duck or the ToyBiz superhero figures.

Everything in a cross sell being released at once with no filler product was, if memory serves, something Hasbro only started with Beast Wars.

The early stuff is easier to classify (original 12 Joes, 84 Transformers) but there’s SOME debate about that as it seems Tracks started shipping in case assortments with the original Transformers in 1984 and a lot of the 84 cartoon second string characters (like the Insecticons and Dinobots) didn’t ship as toys until 1985.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Waves werenít exactly a thing for most lines until around 1995.

You had CROSS-SELLS but those werenít necessarily the case assortments. You could have 2-3 year old figures in a case for many toylines and multiple cross sells at once so you might get 2-3 new figures with one cross sell (some of which might not be out yet) and 2-3 with another.

There are indexes you can get of what year stuff first came out and what the cross sells were but that didnít necessarily align with releases except for small/new lines like Darkwing Duck or the ToyBiz superhero figures.

Everything in a cross sell being released at once with no filler product was, if memory serves, something Hasbro only started with Beast Wars.

The early stuff is easier to classify (original 12 Joes, 84 Transformers) but thereís SOME debate about that as it seems Tracks started shipping in case assortments with the original Transformers in 1984 and a lot of the 84 cartoon second string characters (like the Insecticons and Dinobots) didnít ship as toys until 1985.
    Interesting.

Yeah, I know back then it was broke into "I've never seen this toy before' and "I've seen this toy before' and had no knowledge or anything about the business side to it. But I remember finding Raphael and April YEARS after they debuted and I got my Leonardo... I remember calling around Toys R Us and KayBee toys on 'new toy day' to see if they had received and would hold the long after figure... but yeah, it feels very different now. I know back then you could find dozen or more pegs of GI JOE, He-man or TMNT and dig through them... and they were never JUST the same 4 figures.

I miss those days.

I love them, saw them in person at Powercon and will get them.

I have one issue, weapons connected to the weapon racks on sprus. I get the oldschool idea of it since that is how the original figures came. They could just have them sitting in the package and have it look like they are connected but not actually.

I don't want to have to cut weapons off the rack and have little cut marks and paint chips. It was fine as a kid since the weapons weren't painted but these are expensive collector toys now. Even if you want to display them you can because the racks can stand up with the weapons still attached.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior
    Funny thought.

I ALWAYS misremember the vintage Playmates figures as being bigger than they actually were.

The Reaction figures should be pretty much identical in height (and about 40% width) to the vintage Playmates figures.

If anybody has a complete Sewer Playset, there’s pretty much your perfect diorama for these. The height is right and you can fit more figures in it due to the smaller width.

Interesting.

Yeah, I know back then it was broke into "I've never seen this toy before' and "I've seen this toy before' and had no knowledge or anything about the business side to it. But I remember finding Raphael and April YEARS after they debuted and I got my Leonardo... I remember calling around Toys R Us and KayBee toys on 'new toy day' to see if they had received and would hold the long after figure... but yeah, it feels very different now. I know back then you could find dozen or more pegs of GI JOE, He-man or TMNT and dig through them... and they were never JUST the same 4 figures.

I miss those days.
    Yes ordering and pre-ordering toys online just isn't the same as going into the shops and getting them and seeing them all on display.

Court Magician
    this line looks ferociously fun, espcially cuz tmnt was THE toyline for my childhood after MOTU phased out

these are also goin to be tons of fun to mix in with the Toxic Crusaders!!

omygosh, love that these Super 7 guys are going for this, totally gonna support them and soooo xcited to see Mondo Gecko, Ray Fillet, Muckman and Joe eyeball and Pizza Face get done classics style!!!

also sooo funny that I dont even buy any tmnt product from main license holder, just NECA and now Super 7 haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
    this line looks ferociously fun, espcially cuz tmnt was THE toyline for my childhood after MOTU phased out

these are also goin to be tons of fun to mix in with the Toxic Crusaders!!

omygosh, love that these Super 7 guys are going for this, totally gonna support them and soooo xcited to see Mondo Gecko, Ray Fillet, Muckman and Joe eyeball and Pizza Face get done classics style!!!

also sooo funny that I dont even buy any tmnt product from main license holder, just NECA and now Super 7 haha
    Playmates haven't been putting out too many products lately. I am not too keen on the new Rise of the TMNT cartoon.
    Hopefully they put out better products for the next series and movies.

I might wait to order these from BBTS to keep from paying so soon.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I really don't like the weapon racks and having to remove them from the sprues. I get it's a nice nod to the original toys but a bit pointless.

I ordered all four figures and two extra Foot Soldiers! I'm all in!

From the TMNT Ultimates! Fans group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/tmntultimates/

PRE-ORDER OPEN NOW: Cowabunga, dudes! Super7 is proud to announce the debut of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ultimates! Raphael! Splintor! Baxter Stockman! Foot Soldier! Each 7-inch articulated deluxe TMNT action figure is lavishly painted and features a massive cache of weapons and interchangeable accessories. Visit the link https://preorder.super7store.com for details and ordering.