Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from Super7

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    April looks disappointing in the pictures, but on the other hand the rage and disappointment is also somewhat overblown, in my opinion since there are a lot of toy collectors (including here and the Fwoosh) that have legitimately creepy obsessions with the female figures (not saying that to you Galmorzu).
    Yeah, if the legs/hip joints on your Metalhead are solid, then you'll probably really enjoy him. As it stands, I love how he looks but he really doesn't stand under his own weight. I'm hoping it's just a really bad QC issue with mine.

April is a bit different. It's not so much as issue with being a female figure, but just the quality of the figure itself. But again, the fused hip joints on mine and the weird paint choices and kind of odd face prints really turn me off with her figure. Also the way her feet already feel like they're going to snap from their connector pins and don't seem able to rock or tilt at all. Again, could be a really bad QC issue with mine specifically.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Heroic Warrior
    Anyone know why these are barely articulated? Like, the turtles are literally perfect for double jointed arms and legs (because of the elbow and knee pads), articulation at the base of the neck, and butterfly joints.

For $50 high end collectable figures, these should at least be on par with $20 toys you can buy at Walmart.

The buckle seems to be a problem and now the unpainted nails, too many inconsistencies for $50 figures, isn't acceptable.
    Super7 must improve communication with the factory and QC, but I think that unfortunately poorly developed female figures and waxy plastic no longer have a solution, it's repeated over and over again.

I know what I'm getting with Mikey. After Bebop I expect to be completely floored by Rocksteady.

Metal Head and April are the two question marks for me.
    I got my set yesterday and you've pretty much summed up the wave.

Rocksteady is awesome. Just like Bebop he's massive and looks great next to the other figures. I agree though with the same criticisms Galmorzu mentioned previously but that doesn't mean I don't still love the figure. . The shield looks great but should be larger so he an actually fit his hand in the handle properly. Not really a deal breaker but IMO a trigger hand that holds his gun properly should have been included also. Why is the gun so small to begin with? Are you telling me The Foot and Krang can't produce weapons that are larger for the mutants? A non-helmeted head would have been really cool sine Bebop got that non-pink head.

Mikey is what you expect. He's pretty mucch the same as Leo and Ralph. I do like the Pizza box he comes with from the intro to the show.

Metalhead is a mixed bag. Good or bad depending on your preference, he has the same hips as the Turtles. The wires on the back of his legs restrict his articulation and one end of one of mine already came off. Since they are a seperate piece from the leg I might just take them off sine they don't add anything to him. Mine also has a HUGE buildup of messy paint on the bak of his but. Not the shell itself but the part that allows for his hip articulation. Thankfully that piece is covered by the shell and not really visible. Oerall he's OK but I'm just not "wowed" by him.

Now to the elephant in the room, April.

First I gotta say that from the neck down I actually am pretty happy with mine. She had a few stuck joints but I heat all my figures out of the package to avoid any issues. It's just common practice to me at this point.

Now to the heads. I do like the sculpts on these. The sulpting on the hair is quite nie on all of them. The problem with them is the paint and the plastic used on them. It's that shinny plastic. The paint on the face makes her look like she's wearing one of those clear masks that you see bank robbers wear to give them female features. It's really bad. The paint on all 3 of mine are a bit messy. It's a shame since I do think the sculpts are good. The dark haired one looks ery lose to the vintage head if you'd remoe the paint. I hope some customizers come up with some replacement heads.

April looks disappointing in the pictures, but on the other hand the rage and disappointment is also somewhat overblown, in my opinion since there are a lot of toy collectors (including here and the Fwoosh) that have legitimately creepy obsessions with the female figures (not saying that to you Galmorzu).
    It's not overblown at all. IMO anyone who would say this is acceptable I would question their toy standards. There's nothing creepy about wanting a nice looking figure that's faithful to the item it's based on. I expect that considering the price we are paying. These aren't $10 figures from Walmart here.

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Can you folks with April throw up some pictures when you a free moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    It's not overblown at all. IMO
    I can't comment further until I receive my figures.

anyone who would say this is acceptable I would question their toy standards. There's nothing creepy about wanting a nice looking figure that's faithful to the item it's based on. I expect that considering the price we are paying. These aren't $10 figures from Walmart here.

I have seen posters at the initial reveal claim the figure didn't even look human. They weren't joking

It's a constant from certain posters and it's centered around the female figures.

I liked them to look nice too, but the frequent and obsessive posts are creepy from certain people.

This is not isolated to this particular figure which does look disappointing to me.

It's a continued observation I've watched for over a decade.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; August 1, 2021 at 09:23pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    He wasn't, he was merely asking where this was stated by Super7.

Can you be more specific? Which YouTuber?
    A youtuber. Lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Looking at the April in Toy Bro's review I honestly think the figure looks really good.
    The only real problem is the glossy plastic they used...and her knee placement looks too low.

Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    In an interview with a YouTuber! Vac metal was specifically mentioned! If you haven't seen the video then don't claim otherwise.
    Jesus man, you need to calm down.

I asked a question. Just provide a link then because all the official order info shows no vac metal and no mention of it. So I couldn't take "It was said in a youtube video" as gospel. I am always happy to say "oh yeah, he said it there"
    cogito ergo doleo

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Looking at the April in Toy Bro's review I honestly think the figure looks really good.
    The only real problem is the glossy plastic they used...and her knee placement looks too low.
    I agree.

After watching his video I concur. She doesn't look awful, just really shiny. $55 dollars good? I won't know until I have mine in hand.

After watching his video I concur. She doesn't look awful, just really shiny. $55 dollars good? I won't know until I have mine in hand.
    The production headsculpts look vastlybetter than the original prototype that was shown. Again it is just spoiled by the waxy glossy plastic.

I really wish NECA's cartoon April head sculpt looked as good.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Anyone know why these are barely articulated? Like, the turtles are literally perfect for double jointed arms and legs (because of the elbow and knee pads), articulation at the base of the neck, and butterfly joints.

For $50 high end collectable figures, these should at least be on par with $20 toys you can buy at Walmart.
    Articulation isn't exactly what makes something premium. I think it's been stated dozens of times that Flynn does not like visible articulation in the way of sculpts, and I also think toys updating the vintage line don't need to be hyper articulated. Just sizing up to MOTU Classics and nice paint and sculpting and such.

---------------------------------------

I think, for me, the TMNT Ultimates has been kind of a bust in terms just display pieces because the engineering to make figures just stand up is pretty flawed. The sculpts are great but Rocksteady is basically impossible to stand up in more than one position. Which, I guess is fine in terms of vintage figures but I mean whatever. After Donny I'm out. I like the ones I have well enough and they are what I consider core for me (I need no Casey Jones)

I posted this in the SH thread... it belongs over here too.

Yeah, I was mistaken on the vac-metal.

I couldn't find the original reveal video for wave 3 (although, all the others were there on youtube...?) so, maybe I was just having wishful thoughts.

I watched a couple of review videos for Metalhead, and I am a bit disappointed in his unpainted accessories, second head that is almost identical to the first, and dull-metal paint.

(I think April's face is shinier than Metalhead's chest, lol!)
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I posted this in the SH thread... it belongs over here too.

Yeah, I was mistaken on the vac-metal.

I couldn't find the original reveal video for wave 3 (although, all the others were there on youtube...?) so, maybe I was just having wishful thoughts.

I watched a couple of review videos for Metalhead, and I am a bit disappointed in his unpainted accessories, second head that is almost identical to the first, and dull-metal paint.

(I think April's face is shinier than Metalhead's chest, lol!)
    Shame to hear about about MHs accessories. Ha she is shinier than his chest. lol
    cogito ergo doleo

*If* I were to attempt to custom paint my Metalhead to give him more of a metallic gold chrome, for a complete noob at customization, what would the experts here recommend?

Heroic Warrior
    *If* I were to attempt to custom paint my Metalhead to give him more of a metallic gold chrome, for a complete noob at customization, what would the experts here recommend?
    Not sure if they make a gold chrome paint pen or not but if they do like the chrome one that's what I'd use.

I am by no means an expert but if I was going to try it I would use this method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsygAUWFs0

Heroic Warrior
    I am by no means an expert but if I was going to try it I would use this method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsygAUWFs0
    Enamel is a big no no so he'd have to resort to a acrylic method. And then you'd have to worry about the most important thing in painting and that's adhesion. I never used liquitex on a toy so he's have to practice on something crappy. Not a 50 dollar toy. Joe Amato uses chrome pens all the time and they look fantastic. Never had anything he made in hand to give it the scratch test to see if his work is durable or adhiers. I'm a profepainter so I'd be that guy that rubs my nail on his work and say it don't stick lol. But again I'd look for a gold chrome pen and try that on a similar toy or plastic . But make sure I washed the crap out of it prior with some dish liquid.

Heroic Warrior
    Amazon has these. There's oil base in which I don't recommend. And a water base in which you'd want to use. No idea if this will adhere like I said but this is the route you'd want to venture down. I couldn't figure out how to share a link but here's a pic I took from Google search. It's the 9.99 one in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Enamel is a big no no so he'd have to resort to a acrylic method. And then you'd have to worry about the most important thing in painting and that's adhesion. I never used liquitex on a toy so he's have to practice on something crappy. Not a 50 dollar toy. Joe Amato uses chrome pens all the time and they look fantastic. Never had anything he made in hand to give it the scratch test to see if his work is durable or adhiers. I'm a profepainter so I'd be that guy that rubs my nail on his work and say it don't stick lol. But again I'd look for a gold chrome pen and try that on a similar toy or plastic . But make sure I washed the crap out of it prior with some dish liquid.

I work with paint but not in that way. I do portraits and landscapes.

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations, guys, much appreciated .

Heroic Warrior
    I work with paint but not in that way. I do portraits and landscapes.
    That's something I'm going to venture into one day when I have the space. I know I can do it. Like Bob Ross type canvas painting. I been wanting to do it since 2014. Just don't have the space. So one day and hopefully I don't die before then. Time keeps ticking and I keep running in place getting no where.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations, guys, much appreciated .
    Not a problem man.

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    That's something I'm going to venture into one day when I have the space. I know I can do it. Like Bob Ross type canvas painting. I been wanting to do it since 2014. Just don't have the space. So one day and hopefully I don't die before then. Time keeps ticking and I keep running in place getting no where.

You should do it man.
    I like Bob Ross' pantings but I don't like working with oil paint. I used them for a while after college but I really hated them and went back to acrylics. For oils you really need a lot of space as the fumes aren't very nice and they take a long time to fully dry. I really prefer working with acrylics as they dry so fast.
    Coincidently one of my most recent paintings was a Bob Ross inspired painting of Spirit Island in Canada.