Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1313

Thread: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from Super7

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Super7 has really slowed down with the Ultimates pre-orders lately.
    That's because it's finally hit them that the sales aren't coming in like they use to. They've completely overloaded their brand with all of these lines, no secondary market anymore for this stuff due to re-issues and runs being too big, loss of buyer confidence in what the actual final product will be, Pre-Orders Per-Orders Pre-Orders, Delays, Delays, Delays. Do we really need to continue? I could of told you that this would happen years ago when it started.

I know for a fact that a bunch of those lines that have been up for Pre-Order and such are REALLY underwhelming them numbers wise right now. *Just something a little birdie told me.*

Isn't "Toon Shredder" supposed to have an armor painted chest as well?

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    What a waste on that Shredder. Why not make a proper Toon Shredder, not this odd halfway non-sense?

Space Ralph turned out way better than expected.

But where the heck is Rat King!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    What a waste on that Shredder. Why not make a proper Toon Shredder, not this odd halfway non-sense?

Space Ralph turned out way better than expected.

But where the heck is Rat King!?!?!?
    At least he's only 55.00....

I just do not understand their business model. They have to be targeting only the most hardcore of collectors. But with their prices, they have to be forcing their customers to cherry pick, not only by property, but probably within properties as well. I don't see how its sustainable as they're going to drive away an already limited customer base.

And it seems to me that companies like Hasbro and NECA are putting out much higher quality for 1/2 to 1/3 the price.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; August 16, 2022 at 05:32pm.

Genghis and Raph look good. Robot Rocksteady is pretty cool. Shredder is okay but it would have been better to have a new character.

I reordered Robot Rocksteady and Genghis from BBTS. I doubt I'll keep Genghis. The fact that the vintage line never did all 4 frogs kinda makes this figure an easy one to pass. We won't get all 4 so why bother? If I didn't have the Robot variants as a child, I would pass on them but I can't.

I'm trying to cut down on my spending but the way I see it there aren't too many more characters in this line I really need. I'm almost done. That's a good thing IMO.

The lack of a Rat King in this wave is really annoying.

I'm tempted to get Genghis Frog... but really, this is a weak wave. Thankfully, I think I can pass on this one altogether and wait for an Amazon warehouse deal.

The Super 7 TMNT have been surprisingly easy to get through Amazon... at a much lower than MSRP to boot.

(Also... a Shredder repaint? So soon?)
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I'm tempted to get Genghis Frog... but really, this is a weak wave. Thankfully, I think I can pass on this one altogether and wait for an Amazon warehouse deal.

The Super 7 TMNT have been surprisingly easy to get through Amazon... at a much lower than MSRP to boot.

(Also... a Shredder repaint? So soon?)
    At this point none of the TMNT stuff is rare enough that you have to preorder. That's why I went with BBTS. Easy to cancel.

If you look you can find deals on TMNT and Thundercats.

Destroyer of Tough Stains Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I reluctantly preordered 3 out of the 4 figures on BBTS. Though there's a decent chance I'll cancel at least a couple of them.

My thoughts...

Robotic Rocksteady - He is from pretty late in the original line. I never had the robot versions of Rocksteady or Bebop as a kid. The design is fine for what it is, but at $65, it is an easy pass.

Shredder - This figure is ironically the most frustrating one out of the wave IMO, but also the one that I will most likely (albeit reluctantly) still buy even if I cancel the rest.

I'm assuming that the reason we aren't getting a proper 'Toon Shredder akin to the vintage version is probably has something to do with licensing. Even though the sculpt is not literally based on the cartoon series like the figure NECA released is, but maybe the colors are too close and to fully make that version is too close to something that S7 technically doesn't have the rights to do.

I'm guessing that's why the default head as the purple mouth covering, and the alternate head with the silver helmet and mouth covering has the face colors pitch-black to appear as if it is covered in shadows. They probably weren't allowed to make a head with the the helmet and mouth covering being all silver AND have the regular flesh tone.

On the one hand, similar to the whole Sgt. Bananas / Guerilla Gorilla issue (which might be for different individual specific reasons, but still probably boils down to some aspect of licensing), it begs the question why Super7 is even bothering with these, perhaps well intentioned, but otherwise half-hearted attempts at characters/versions of characters in this line (which is meant to be a modern updated version of the vintage TMNT toy line) when they don't have the rights to make the characters as they appeared in that vintage line?

On the other hand, while having a half-hearted/half-assed version of 'Toon Shredder (especially at the $55 price point) is FAR from ideal, it is something that should be reasonably easy to customize into something better resembling 'Toon Shredder.

At one point early on, I was tempted to get a second Shredder figure (the initial blue-armored release version) and attempt to customize him into 'Toon Shredder, but I held off both because I wanted to see if S7 would be able to release a proper one eventually, and also because my painting and customizing skills are NOT anywhere near good enough to try and paint all of the blades and have it come out looking like something remotely professional.

But I could attempt to either paint the mouth covering on the default head of this new Shredder figure, or (assuming that the skin color matches up) take the really stupid alternate head from the initial blue armored Shredder figure and repaint the helmet and mouth guard silver. The only other option would be to take the second head included with this new Shredder and try to repaint the face, but I think I'd be more likely to screw that up.

Plus worst case scenario, if I have too hard of a time with it, I could probably commission a more talented customizer to just repaint the head for me. That's still easier than the whole figure.

And while not technically accurate to the vintage 'Toon Shredder figure, the gray outfit that goes over his torso could probably be done with some kind of soft goods. Or maybe some customizer out there will make and sell something that fits over it that looks good.

I know the purple on his hand wraps and boots are not accurate to the vintage 'Toon Shredder figure, but I can probably live with that.

Part of why I'm considering going through this hassle is that I'm strongly debating on selling off most of my NECA cartoon figures. I may hang onto a very select couple/few and it wouldn't even be main characters for the most part. I admit that hanging onto Shredder would be tempting, but since I have that original SDCC 8-pack release, that might be harder to sell off at a good price without him included. And if that ends up being the case, then I'll want some kind of cartoon-ish Shredder figure, and this will have to do.

Space Cadet Raph - I'm really torn on this one, as it is really pulling me in both directions with my priorities and limitations in what Turtle variants I am willing to buy. I'm being very selective on variants getting released in this line.

That being said, I am very nostalgic for that first batch of variants from the vintage line (which included Samurai Leo, Surfer Mikey, Space Cadet Raph, an Undercover Don). Surfer Mikey in particular has meaning to me because as I explained in another post previously, I repurposed him as another characters entirely back in the day. So I couldn't pass up on him. S7 did a great job updating Samurai Leo, so I'm in on that figure. They haven't done undercover Don yet (I passed on the punk rocker Don, and I canceled my order for the Undercover/Trech coat Raph, so I don't know if I'll get Don later if he is handled more like that Raph and less like the vintage figure).

While I am nostalgic for that entire batch of variants including this version of Raph, he is probably my least favorite of the bunch. I'd probably be more into this figure if it was a bit more accurate to the vintage figure, particularly with his head. They seem to have have taken a few liberties with the design, particularly with him now just having his traditional eye mask. Instead of sculpting the eye mask in the more space-style of the vintage figure, they made some new transparent accessory roughly in that shape that apparently goes over his more traditional eye mask, which honestly isn't really doing it for me. It doesn't help, though, that none of the pics of him releases so far actually show him wearing it. That might sway me a bit. But at $55, I want to be sure. It also doesn't help that he doesn't seem to have the same "bulkiness" that the vintage figure does. That figure made it look like there was this large, baggy space suit over his already large shell. This one seems to lack that. At these prices, S7 is making it really easy to be choosy.

Genghis Frog - I'll start off by quoting something Thrawn29 said about this figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I will say something feels off. It may be the extra sculpted details or the extra paint apps.
    To quote the recent Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers movie, "Remember that animation style where everything looked real, but nothing looked right?"

Super7 seems to have managed to pull of a version of that where they made an updated figure that somehow simultaneously looks like the vintage figure, but still somehow doesn't look correct (with the vintage figure being the basis of what the correct look is)...

The vintage Genghis has sort of an almost cute, friendly look. He almost gives off a similar vibe IMO as Kermit / a Muppet, while still looking distinctly different.

This new figure somehow takes the basic look and design of the vintage figure and turns it into nightmare fuel. This figures looks like some kind of really erie, creepy creature that I'd be scared of bumping in the middle of the night while walking to the bathroom on the dark, just barely illuminated by a night light, moon light coming in through the window, or something akin to that.

I never had the original Genghis Frog figure as a kid, so I don't have a huge attachment to it. That said, it was a figure that I saw a lot on packaging, some friends had it, etc. So I do have some nostalgia there. I did preorder it, but it is one of the two (along with Space Cadet Raph) that I may end up canceling.

If it was closer to the look of the vintage figure in regards to what I just said above, I'd be far less likely to want to cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    At least he's only 55.00....

I just do not understand their business model. They have to be targeting only the most hardcore of collectors. But with their prices, they have to be forcing their customers to cherry pick, not only by property, but probably within properties as well. I don't see how its sustainable as they're going to drive away an already limited customer base.

And it seems to me that companies like Hasbro and NECA are putting out much higher quality for 1/2 to 1/3 the price.
    I do agree with you about Super7 and their business model. I've begun cherry picking lines that I was originally all-in on, and outright canceled preorders for upcoming lines (like Silverhawks) because it is all too much to keep up with. They have a lot of items and IPs all targeted at roughly the same core audience, but very few people can afford to keep up with it all.

That being said, I do somewhat criticize NECA specifically regarding a same problem with them and TMNT. They have begun releasing figures and related items far faster than the average person can keep up with, even if the ONLY thing they are collecting is NECA TMNT. Just looking at the cartoon line alone, for a while there not too long ago, they had stuff going up for preorder left and right. Then suddenly the whip out the Turtle Van with a preorder window of a week or two (or something like that). Then if you are into other incarnation of the Turtles, like the movies, comics, etc., the sheer amount of everything having to go up for order in a short time is ridiculous.

This is further compounded by the fact that anyone buying these items has to pay upfront for these preorders. Yes, some of these items will eventually end up in stores like Target or Walmart, and distribution has improved over time, but there's still a degree of gambling when relying on the general hunt. While payment is taken up front when ordering from Super7 directly, at least options like BBTS exist, allowing us to preorder the items we want, not pay until they ship, and having the option to cancel inbetween if we change our minds.

Bang Your Head
    For everyone questioning the Shredder figure (that very closely looks like the Toon Turtle Shredder), it's based off an unreleased Shredder figure from what I've found through Twitter.

FaT9qZOXkAA2Uyq.jpg

He may have also come from this watch too

FaUjRMWXoAA7IKg.jpg

Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    The lack of a Rat King in this wave is really annoying.
    Yeah.

Leatherhead, Slash, Ace, Triceraton, Genghis, Krang, etc.

8 Waves in and no Rat King is noticeable and given this wave is a turtle variant and a lazy Shredder repaint, the Rat King's continued abscene is now officially annoying.

It's like when Scott Neitlich and the 4 Horsemen delayed giving us the Sorceress and Ram Man for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    For everyone questioning the Shredder figure (that very closely looks like the Toon Turtle Shredder), it's based off an unreleased Shredder figure from what I've found through Twitter.

FaT9qZOXkAA2Uyq.jpg

He may have also come from this watch too

FaUjRMWXoAA7IKg.jpg

Who knows...
    Hmmmm....

If that is the case, then I wonder if it is not actually a licensing issue as I was suspecting. Maybe they are making this "rare" unreleased version first, and then will do a proper 'Toon Shredder later. If that is the case, then I'd rather pass on this figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

Genghis Frog - I'll start off by quoting something Thrawn29 said about this figure...

To quote the recent Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers movie, "Remember that animation style where everything looked real, but nothing looked right?"

Super7 seems to have managed to pull of a version of that where they made an updated figure that somehow simultaneously looks like the vintage figure, but still somehow doesn't look correct (with the vintage figure being the basis of what the correct look is)...

https://i.etsystatic.com/9514107/r/i...91835_8eb2.jpg

https://media.entertainmentearth.com...3860990fxl.jpg

The vintage Genghis has sort of an almost cute, friendly look. He almost gives off a similar vibe IMO as Kermit / a Muppet, while still looking distinctly different.

This new figure somehow takes the basic look and design of the vintage figure and turns it into nightmare fuel. This figures looks like some kind of really erie, creepy creature that I'd be scared of bumping in the middle of the night while walking to the bathroom on the dark, just barely illuminated by a night light, moon light coming in through the window, or something akin to that.

I never had the original Genghis Frog figure as a kid, so I don't have a huge attachment to it. That said, it was a figure that I saw a lot on packaging, some friends had it, etc. So I do have some nostalgia there. I did preorder it, but it is one of the two (along with Space Cadet Raph) that I may end up canceling.

If it was closer to the look of the vintage figure in regards to what I just said above, I'd be far less likely to want to cancel it.
    I think it's his eyes that make all the difference. The original version has a darker blue for the eyes. On this one they chose this light blue, which gives off a serious zombie vibe. The vintage one looks like a cute frog dude. The S7 version looks like an undead zombie frog. Darkening those eyes would totally change his look.

...This new figure somehow takes the basic look and design of the vintage figure and turns it into nightmare fuel. This figures looks like some kind of really erie, creepy creature that I'd be scared of bumping in the middle of the night while walking to the bathroom on the dark, just barely illuminated by a night light, moon light coming in through the window, or something akin to that....
    To be honest... I have phobia of frogs since a child and even though I have Napoleon vintage figure, I was always reluctant to get Genghis. Now an adult I was going to get Genghis from Ultimates, but after seeing that close up picture and remembering the second tongue lashing Venom type head, I'm having second thoughts of purchasing it.

I don't think it is the sculpt, it is just an upgraded, more detailed sculpt but paint apps have put him in a disturbing type of figure... Maybe it is in the eyes empty soul look or the smirk or everything altogether
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

Bang Your Head
    Hmmmm....

If that is the case, then I wonder if it is not actually a licensing issue as I was suspecting. Maybe they are making this "rare" unreleased version first, and then will do a proper 'Toon Shredder later. If that is the case, then I'd rather pass on this figure.
    Hopefully some of us remember and learned through MOTUC, that they are going to get the most out of some molds, and those figures are going to help pay for new tooling and molds. I wouldn't be surprised that in the future a Shredder and Splinter (or every character) will be released as a GITD.

And just like MOTUC and any other toy line, they aren't going to blow their load and release everything all at once. The name of the game is longevity and patients. If Rat King was released in place of Ray Fillet, I'm sure people would have an issue that Ray not being released right away...

Hmmmm....

Thought the same for a moment and funny thing is that BBTS has listed Shredder as 1987 Toon Armor...
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

I know I'm probably in the extreme minority, but the thing I was most excited for with this line was getting updates to all the great Playmates TMNT figures, which we've been getting a lot of for the first 4 waves.

But then with wave 5, we found out 1 figure of each wave going forward would be a variant. I thought it was a little disappointing, as that meant 3 updated classic characters per wave instead of 4, but I understood the reasoning to keep the turtles around. And honestly, I really loved the first round of classic turtle variants, so it wasn't too bad.

What these last couple of waves have really bummed me out about, is that there's been a turtle variant (fine), 1 single new figure and two essential additional variants. I know the mech versions of Bebop and Rocksteady have their fans, but there are so many really fun and interesting characters still left to do that I'd like to see make it.

Rat King, Traag, Groundchuck, Dirtbag, Scumbug, Wyrm, Walkabout, Wingnut, Pizza Face, Chromedome, Hothead, even Antrax and Scale Tail. I would really love to see a large, bulky Groundchuck and Hothead at some point, and hopefully a Scumbug, but I'm also worried that the sheer cost of this line line (are we up to about $250 for a wave?) is going to end it sooner than later. Especially with people cherry picking and leaving online retailers with a whole lot more leftover product to move.

It all just reminds me that, again, I'm in the minority in having wanted to see these other characters, and most people just want the original TMNT heroes, Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady and no more. Which is too bad, because I think a lot of these remaining original characters are really fun and interesting looking, and would make for great updates.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

This is further compounded by the fact that anyone buying these items has to pay upfront for these preorders. Yes, some of these items will eventually end up in stores like Target or Walmart, and distribution has improved over time, but there's still a degree of gambling when relying on the general hunt. While payment is taken up front when ordering from Super7 directly, at least options like BBTS exist, allowing us to preorder the items we want, not pay until they ship, and having the option to cancel inbetween if we change our minds.
    Isn't this the same with NECA and Hasbro? I only collect the NECA Mirage line, but I've been able to preorder the last 3 from BBTS, and it looks like you cando the same with their other lines and Hasbro's G.I. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Yeah.

Leatherhead, Slash, Ace, Triceraton, Genghis, Krang, etc.

8 Waves in and no Rat King is noticeable and given this wave is a turtle variant and a lazy Shredder repaint, the Rat King's continued abscene is now officially annoying.

It's like when Scott Neitlich and the 4 Horsemen delayed giving us the Sorceress and Ram Man for so long.
    With the all-in year-long MOTUC sub it was a wise strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Isn't this the same with NECA and Hasbro? I only collect the NECA Mirage line, but I've been able to preorder the last 3 from BBTS, and it looks like you cando the same with their other lines and Hasbro's G.I. Joe.
    Outside of the preorders on NECA's website, the cartoon TMNT line has been exclusive to Target, and for a while the movie figures have been exclusive to Walmart (they were released through Gamestop at one point early on). The comic figures are the exception where they can easily be ordered through sites like BBTS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    Hopefully some of us remember and learned through MOTUC, that they are going to get the most out of some molds, and those figures are going to help pay for new tooling and molds. I wouldn't be surprised that in the future a Shredder and Splinter (or every character) will be released as a GITD.

I agree with you on getting the most out of each mold. And I get why they would release this figure before a proper 'Toon Shredder (assuming they are allowed to make a 'Toon Shredder), as doing to opposite would likely result in this figure selling more poorly than it would otherwise.

They can release all the GITD figures they want. Those are almost always an easy pass for me.

I just hope they are able to make this Shredder figure in the same colors as the vintage 'Toon Shredder figure. If I'm not mistaken, early on Brian Flynn said something to the effect that they may not necessarily have access to everything in the vintage line and there might be some limits to the license. I'm just wondering the full extent of that. Apparently the Sgt. Bananas issue has something to do with someone claiming ownership over that character, so they did the "next best thing." And obviously something like the Star Trek Turtle variants would require an additional license.

But outside of issues involving someone else claiming ownership over a particular character, or needing to get an additional license from some kind of crossover with another IP, I'm wondering if anything else is off limits. Are Burn, Irma, and Vernon (who were released in the vintage line as part of the 'Toon figure series) off limits because they are from the cartoon series, and NECA has the rights to make cartoon based figures? Would the same apply for 'Toon Shredder, or even figures like Super Shredder, Tokka, Rahzar, and the Movie Star line (even if more based on their toy looks, which were not screen accurate) off limits because of NECA having the movie figure license? I don't expect anyone here to have answers to this. These are just things that I'm wondering about.

And just like MOTUC and any other toy line, they aren't going to blow their load and release everything all at once. The name of the game is longevity and patients. If Rat King was released in place of Ray Fillet, I'm sure people would have an issue that Ray not being released right away...
    Yeah, I agree with this as well. To be honest, I'm actually fine with some of these waves having figures I can live without. It just means not having to spend as much at one time, given the cost of these figures.

With Wave 7, the only figure I'm worried about getting is Triceraton, and I was more happy for my wallet with that being the case.

On the one hand, similar to the whole Sgt. Bananas / Guerilla Gorilla issue (which might be for different individual specific reasons, but still probably boils down to some aspect of licensing)
    Bryan addressed the Sgt. Bananas issue in Dan's SDCC walkthrough and there's some kind of copyright issue with who exactly owns the character so S7 went on the side of caution when doing his figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia;4000[quote

Yeah.

The revealed image is a computer render. We'll see about the final figure. Some of my initial feelings of "offness" could be negated when the design is put to physical plastic and real world lighting.

I think part of my issue might be the colors. I feel like the colors are muted.

Like MOTU colors are so important to Playmates TMNT.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; August 17, 2022 at 06:26pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Thought the same for a moment and funny thing is that BBTS has listed Shredder as 1987 Toon Armor...
    I don't think that is the official name of the figure. On the actual box, it just says "Shredder." BBTS likely just put that description there to differentiate it from the other one. On S7's site, it is listed as "silver armor" (even though the box doesn't actually have that description on it).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    I think it's his eyes that make all the difference. The original version has a darker blue for the eyes. On this one they chose this light blue, which gives off a serious zombie vibe. The vintage one looks like a cute frog dude. The S7 version looks like an undead zombie frog. Darkening those eyes would totally change his look.
    After reading your comment earlier, I decided to change the eye color in photoshop. And you are right, it does make a huge difference.

I must be in the minority because I'm perfectly happy with this wave, Shredder repaint and dead-eyes Genghis aside. I see the Shredder repaint as easy to skip, and honestly, I'd be cool with 3 figure waves anyway. Love Space Raph and Robot Rocksteady. Genghis is great aside from the eyes, someone send Super 7 that mockup!

After reading your comment earlier, I decided to change the eye color in photoshop. And you are right, it does make a huge difference.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/picture.ph...ictureid=35845
    I knew it would!! Much improved! Now he's alive...ALIVE!!!