Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man Out Of The MCU (Thanks To Sony) - Now Back In

Spider-Man Out Of The MCU (Thanks To Sony)

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/20/20...cu-sony-disney

This is what gets me SO angry....

Sony is going to sell their movie studio (Columbia) down the road so why are they pulling this ****??

This is why I wish every property that Marvel created was back home because they know how to do it right!!!

Last edited by Megalodon; October 29, 2019 at 08:20pm.

WTF! We just got a great reworking of Spiderman and now Sony chooses to screw the proverbial pooch?! I was so looking forward to seeing how they resolved the massive cliffhanger of the last film!

Seriously, this is just asinine.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't know, Disney asking for 50/50 split seems a bit much to me. Besides,the best Spidey movie imho, Into the Spiderverse was made without Feige, so I think Sony can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I don't know, Disney asking for 50/50 split seems a bit much to me. Besides,the best Spidey movie imho, Into the Spiderverse was made without Feige, so I think Sony can handle it.
    So if something makes more money then you should take the same or less?? Tell that to a pro athlete that is coming up for a contract you outperformed your contract and are an all star and top at your position but "We're only going to pay you the league minimum" Have a good day...

Heroic Warrior
    If you want to blame anyone, blame Disney. They want an increase from their current 5% split to 50/50. Sony has the movie rights to Spider-man, why should they have to agree to Disney's demands?

I don't blame either side. It's two companies, who are trying to make money, looking out for their own self-interests.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

I don't blame Sony as they have ALL of the leverage right now. Disney is at the start of a decline with Marvel as they can only go down after Endgame and Sony although partnered with Disney, had a HUGE hit with Far from Home. They both have a lot to lose, but Sony has the advantage for the moment. Look to see it hammered out at some point though.

IDK, maybe it's a bargaining tactic. Or Tom Holland will be retconned into Nova thanks to the Multiverse of Madness. Oy, I was afraid this stupidity was coming though.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Just Disney being greedy as usual. Although I do agree if Disney own Marvel they should own all the characters.
    I guess Disney can start work now on a Jessica Drew Spider-Woman movie. That's not getting into more female superheroes etc I like Spider-Woman, she was one of the first superheroes I knew of and watched the old cartoon.

This seems to me like Disney is trying to bully Sony into forcing them to sign a deal that's clearly not great for them. The deal is IMO not fair at all. Going to a 50/50 slpit to what their previous deal is just crazy

On the flipside though, a Spidey movie not connected to the MCU will likely not be as successful. One of the things that made the last few films great was the fact that Marvel Studios had creative control. History has shown, Sony knows nothing about making a great Spidey film. Unless they can get Raimi back, I have zero interest in a non-MCU Spider-Man film.

I'll bet, and hope, that this deal will get made but with a much fairer split. It seemed from previous interviews and such, that Feige had long term ideas for Peter Parker in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    This seems to me like Disney is trying to bully Sony into forcing them to sign a deal that's clearly not great for them. The deal is IMO not fair at all. Going to a 50/50 slpit to what their previous deal is just crazy

On the flipside though, a Spidey movie not connected to the MCU will likely not be as successful. One of the things that made the last few films great was the fact that Marvel Studios had creative control. History has shown, Sony knows nothing about making a great Spidey film. Unless they can get Raimi back, I have zero interest in a non-MCU Spider-Man film.

I'll bet, and hope, that this deal will get made but with a much fairer split. It seemed from previous interviews and such, that Feige had long term ideas for Peter Parker in the MCU.
    Screw that sell Spidey back to Disney....Sony has been trying to get out of the movie business for years and get back to being an electronics giant like they used to be just do it they are going or have screwed him up and their plan doesn't work...

Considering this a report and not much as been posted about what was actually said a few scenarios could have happened.

Disney makes an offer to increase their take from Spider-man and related properties of the Spider-man family. Sounds like a first offer and instead of any kind of counter offer Sony just hangs the phone up.

That's how negotiations work one individual high balls or low balls the other counters.

Now is Disney in the right to ask for more etc, that's another issue all together.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Just Disney being greedy as usual. Although I do agree if Disney own Marvel they should own all the characters.
    I guess Disney can start work now on a Jessica Drew Spider-Woman movie. That's not getting into more female superheroes etc I like Spider-Woman, she was one of the first superheroes I knew of and watched the old cartoon.
    She's not going to happen somehow she was part of the Spider-Man deal that Avi Arad did in the 1990's

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Considering this a report and not much as been posted about what was actually said a few scenarios could have happened.

Disney makes an offer to increase their take from Spider-man and related properties of the Spider-man family. Sounds like a first offer and instead of any kind of counter offer Sony just hangs the phone up.

That's how negotiations work one individual high balls or low balls the other counters.

Now is Disney in the right to ask for more etc, that's another issue all together
    See I don't know why people think Sony is in the right?? If it wasn't for Marvel pulling Sony's ass out of the fire they wouldn't be as successful as they have been the last two films so yea I would want more for FIXING your screw up...

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    She's not going to happen somehow she was part of the Spider-Man deal that Avi Arad did in the 1990's

- - - Updated - - -

See I don't know why people think Sony is in the right?? If it wasn't for Marvel pulling Sony's ass out of the fire they wouldn't be as successful as they have been the last two films so yea I would want more for FIXING your screw up...
    I don't think Disney is really in the wrong to ask for more. I won't deny that the involvement of the Disney marvel team didn't have a large impact on Spider-man Homecomings or Far from home. Part of me even thinks how much did Sony contribute to the actual production of the film etc. Quick look doesn't show writers or directors being exclusive to either Sony nor Disney.

My statement was more didn't discuss wasn't going to in that post. largely because a lot of the details on the arrangement I am not familiar with etc.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Updates to the original story state that Sony did offer counter offers, but that Disney were having none of it.

Now, I'm guessing that Spider-Man will make some sort of appearance in Venom 2. Also, the mid-credits scene for Far From Home actually sets up an appearance from Eddie Brock quite well. I'm interested to see how this plays out. Still, I don't think its fair to just lay the blame squarely at Sony's feet here. At the end of the day, from their perspective, Spider-Man is their most lucrative franchise, and Disney (who, you know, aren't exactly strapped for cash) were essentially asking for 50% of it from now on. That would have been a massive stake in your most profitable franchise. I think a lot of studios would have done the same.

Still, essentially, Sony has decided to go at it on their own from now on. Could be a (very) risky move. How long before we get rumours of a live-action Spider-Verse film with Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield's Spider-Men? As unbelievable as it may sound, I think the chances of such a film just shot up a notch.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Updates to the original story state that Sony did offer counter offers, but that Disney were having none of it.

Now, I'm guessing that Spider-Man will make some sort of appearance in Venom 2. Also, the mid-credits scene for Far From Home actually sets up an appearance from Eddie Brock quite well. I'm interested to see how this plays out. Still, I don't think its fair to just lay the blame squarely at Sony's feet here. At the end of the day, from their perspective, Spider-Man is their most lucrative franchise, and Disney (who, you know, aren't exactly strapped for cash) were essentially asking for 50% of it from now on. That would have been a massive stake in your most profitable franchise. I think a lot of studios would have done the same.

Still, essentially, Sony has decided to go at it on their own from now on. Could be a (very) risky move. How long before we get rumours of a live-action Spider-Verse film with Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield's Spider-Men? As unbelievable as it may sound, I think the chances of such a film just shot up a notch.
    I would actually love a movie with all 3 Spidermen. If Sony can capture the magic of those 1st two Tobey films (and the Garfield films too in a lesser degree), then they will be fine. Just get Spiderman out of high school already!

Looked up based on what you said. Would be curious what the 'other configurations' were that were offered. Basically they are getting 5% now, asked for 50%. If Sony fired back with 6%, that isn't much in the way of really a better deal.

Let's not forget that Sony has Morbius coming out next year. No doubt they'll put that in their own "Spider-Verse". They could build up to Maximum Carnage.

Let's not forget that Sony has Morbius coming out next year. No doubt they'll put that in their own "Spider-Verse". They could build up to Maximum Carnage.
    See that's what I'm saying I have NO faith in Sony doing Spider-Man they will screw it up again...they should just cut their losses already....

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I really enjoyed Into the Spiderverse. I am not a huge fan of Spiderman, but I have seen all of the movies. I am not particularly fond of any of them. Disney has just become awful, they are pretty much dead to my family.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Personally, I think a deal will be done. Certainly not at 50/50, though. That's just brutal, and no studio would allow another studio to take 50% of their biggest franchise.

No one's feeling sorry for Disney. For years they've stuck it to everyone imaginable and used their power to do so. Now that the ball is in someone else's hand I actually enjoy seeing them squirm.

If they were smart they would of done EVERYTHING possible to extend the agreement BEFORE their movies got to THIS point. Like I said, they lost A LOT of leverage trying to handle this NOW after their two main characters are gone.

Spider-Man is the biggest Marvel character right now and for all of Disney's power, they don't even have access to him. They helped build him up, but made the mistake at their own expense. Now it's time for them to pay up for a change. What's Sony seriously got to lose? They'll just go back to what they were before, but this time with a more beefier character. Disney is the real loser here as Spider-Man was supposed to be the next guy holding the torch.

Hold on while I pull out my violin.....

Virginia, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    How long does Sony have left on their contract rights to Spidey? When do the rights finally revert back to Marvel/Disney?

Same question also for the Fantastic Four, X-Men, and/or any other heroes outside of Disney's/Marvel's control right now?
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties and comics. My YouTube Channel titled: Feb Mon
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCr-M2kh33ALM2nEzcKZKNKQ

Mostly Playlists & used for commenting on videos. Still, Check it out if you have time.

Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    How long does Sony have left on their contract rights to Spidey? When do the rights finally revert back to Marvel/Disney?

Same question also for the Fantastic Four, X-Men, and/or any other heroes outside of Disney's/Marvel's control right now?
    People will know more about it then I do, but I don't believe that it EVER goes back to Disney as long as Sony makes movies every X amount of years. Sony was able to buy Spider-Man back in the late 90's by himself LONG before Disney ever came in to the picture for only like 7 million dollars!!!

I believe Marvel offered the WHOLE franchise for like $25 mill. but was only interested in Spider-Man.

I also believe that the others franchises that you mentioned also have similar type deals.

Going from a 5% take to a 50% take is ludicrous, even for Disney. Don't get me wrong, Marvel Studios having complete creative control on the joint films is the reason they were so good. I don't deny it. Sony's Spider-Man films have been abysmal since Raimi left and Feige has been the best thing to happen to Spidey on the big screen.

Just cause Marvel owns Spider-Man doesn't mean Sony should just roll over and do what Disney wants. They have rights. Remember, it was Sony and Fox who bailed out Marvel back in the 90's when they were almost bankrupt and in real danger of going out of business. Sony acquiring those rights helped save Marvel. If anything people should be grateful to Sony, and FOX, for what they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    People will know more about it then I do, but I don't believe that it EVER goes back to Disney as long as Sony makes movies every X amount of years.

I also believe that the others franchises that you mentioned also have similar type deals.
    Correct. As long as they keep spitting out movies the rights stay.

FOX made that Roger Corman Fantastic Four back in the 90's just so they wouldn't loose the rights. You can find it on youtube. It's good in a kinda cheezy way. The Doctor Doom looked awesome. Right out of the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Going from a 5% take to a 50% take is ludicrous, even for Disney. Don't get me wrong, Marvel Studios having complete creative control on the joint films is the reason they were so good. I don't deny it. Sony's Spider-Man films have been abysmal since Raimi left and Feige has been the best thing to happen to Spidey on the big screen.

Just cause Marvel owns Spider-Man doesn't mean Sony should just roll over and do what Disney wants. They have rights. Remember, it was Sony and Fox who bailed out Marvel back in the 90's when they were almost bankrupt and in real danger of going out of business. Sony acquiring those rights helped save Marvel. If anything people should be grateful to Sony, and FOX, for what they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct. As long as they keep spitting out movies the rights stay.

FOX made that Roger Corman Fantastic Four back in the 90's just so they wouldn't loose the rights. You can find it on youtube. It's good in a kinda cheezy way. The Doctor Doom looked awesome. Right out of the comic.
    But as a fan I could care less about Disney or Sony I just want him to come HOME why do you think the titles of the last two films were a little shot at Sony...I know Marvel is owned by Disney I just want them back at Marvel I felt this way since 2008 when it was just Marvel