Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man Out Of The MCU (Thanks To Sony) - Now Back In

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I know many of us are invested in the topic, but can we please remember to discuss it with respect for one another?
    I don't believe I was being disrespectful, but I edited my post just in case it could read that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See this is what I mean Marvel should have ALL of their characters rights back just like DC (Warner Brothers) has all of theirs it makes sense they created them but what I am hearing is that maybe DC is going away?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...dia-under-att/
    So, I'm not sure if you know this but Bounding Into Comics is NOT a credible source for news. It tends to be a site that trumpets a lot of Comicsgate talking points and regularly posts about the death of the comic book industry at length based almost entirely on subjective opinion or anecdote with very little in the way of actual evidence. They also were part of a very vocal anti-Captain Marvel movie campaign.

I'd be careful about citing BIC as any sort of credible source in any conversation.

So does anyone know if and how this will affect the blu-ray/DVD release of Far From Home? Granted there are probably going to be quite a few people who aren't interested in having the second part of a trilogy that will have no continuation, but I've already seen the price for Civil War go up as people speculate it will no longer be allowed to be printed.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    Read up on Lee's daughter. Take whatever she says with a massive grain of salt.
    I honestly do not know anything about the topic, but I like Lucas (which is why I watched the videos). I have never been a huge Spiderman fan, but I have seen all of the movies (mainly because they are comic movies and I like comics).

I am not a fan of Disney at all. If you knew how much of a Disney junkie I was in my youth then you would probably find that hard to believe. The older I get the more annoyed I get with the company as a whole.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    I don't believe I was being disrespectful, but I edited my post just in case it could read that way.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I'm not sure if you know this but Bounding Into Comics is NOT a credible source for news. It tends to be a site that trumpets a lot of Comicsgate talking points and regularly posts about the death of the comic book industry at length based almost entirely on subjective opinion or anecdote with very little in the way of actual evidence. They also were part of a very vocal anti-Captain Marvel movie campaign.

I'd be careful about citing BIC as any sort of credible source in any conversation.
    Really?? OK not a reliable source then look up AT & T they are thinking about breaking it up...

And what about the other two links that people just keep forgetting about? Either that or they either want to Bash Disney or feel sorry for Sony I don't care about any other opinion about big companies blah blah blah I want Marvel to get back THEIR creation it's just that they are owned by Disney...DC owns all their characters and the only complaint I see is that "How come they are only making Superman/Batman movies all the time" (Until recently) they have so many other characters...

A friend of mine once said this about posting things that are REAL but people don't want to admit to to talk about:

this forbes piece is the most logical out there, which means no one will pay attention to it
    And stop I know that Disney owns Marvel if Disney didn't own Marvel I would feel the same way things that are created by that person/company SHOULD get them back...Does anyone REALLY think that anyone at Marvel Studios had something to do with Avi Arad selling off these properties in the 1990's?

I got that from someone I work with...Oh so it's everyone NOW at Marvel/Marvel Studios that is at fault for selling some of these characters off in the 1990's instead of Avi Arad........... OK

I think if Disney was not involved there would not be this much backlash against Marvel for wanting their property back it would be the other way around and Sony would be the bad guy....Gotta love some people...

- - - Updated - - -

No because it is mainly Sony trying to keep it from Disney even though Marvel Studios would benefit they don't want to sell even though in the past this came up and there are still rumblings about it:

https://nypost.com/2019/04/08/hedgie...ment-division/

If this is true they should sell Spider-Man back to Disney/Marvel because if a sale happens Marvel/Disney would get it back free or charge now why if you can make something out of nothing would you not SELL????

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#5a281e9e6b50

And READ this to all of the people this is TRUTH and it makes sense...if you can't see this then I can't help you...
    To everyone that hasn't seen this or actually wants to some TRUTH read the links...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I honestly do not know anything about the topic, but I like Lucas (which is why I watched the videos). I have never been a huge Spiderman fan, but I have seen all of the movies (mainly because they are comic movies and I like comics).

I am not a fan of Disney at all. If you knew how much of a Disney junkie I was in my youth then you would probably find that hard to believe. The older I get the more annoyed I get with the company as a whole.
    See if Disney didn't own Marvel would you feel the same?

And why is it that people (Even though you show them) proof you have to either had hidden video or the ACTUAL document in your possession BEFORE they'll even bend and might believe...
    Last edited by Megalodon; August 23, 2019 at 07:55pm.

Read the links next time before you respond maybe you might LEARN something
    I read them and nothing in them dispute anything I said. I stated all facts. My points are valid and correct. I think you need to take some of your own advice.

And with that, I'm going to remember an old Mark Twain quote, "Never ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I read them and nothing in them dispute anything I said. I stated all facts. My points are valid and correct. I think you need to take some of your own advice.

And with that, I'm going to remember an old Mark Twain quote, "Never ..."
    Then you didn't read it...It so much easier to call someone out and put down their facts when things are right in front of your face...But you would rather debate that home just to prove your right...And where are your "Facts" a link to someone's blog or something "real"

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post

Watch the Japanese Spider-Man show. Maybe Disney can get the rights and to add Japanese Spider-Man to the MCU.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5NCSx5HF8c

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Watch the Japanese Spider-Man show. Maybe Disney can get the rights and to add Japanese Spider-Man to the MCU.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5NCSx5HF8c
    I would only accept that if they let him bring his giant robot along with him.

Disney and Marvel aren't getting the rights back to Spider-Man anytime soon (or at all), so there's no point wishing for it. Anyway, its done and dusted. Both Tom Holland and Kevin Feige confirmed it today. Holland also confirmed that he's going to continue playing Spidey, but that "The Future For Spider-Man Will Be Different", whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Disney and Marvel aren't getting the rights back to Spider-Man anytime soon (or at all), so there's no point wishing for it. Anyway, its done and dusted. Both Tom Holland and Kevin Feige confirmed it today. Holland also confirmed that he's going to continue playing Spidey, but that "The Future For Spider-Man Will Be Different", whatever that means.
    Until Amazon or Apple buys Sony then it goes back home...I really believe that people were rooting for Sony even though most of his solo films are garbage...But they wouldn't want them back home were it is PROVEN that it's better...I'd imagine if Disney didn't own Marvel it would be a different story....Oh well it's going to come back eventually....

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    I would only accept that if they let him bring his giant robot along with him.
    The Leopaldon robot is a lot cooler than the Iron Spider suit.

This pretty much sums up the situation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twA9mV9R0hY
    Last edited by Mark M; August 25, 2019 at 05:49am.

Until Amazon or Apple buys Sony then it goes back home...I really believe that people were rooting for Sony even though most of his solo films are garbage...But they wouldn't want them back home were it is PROVEN that it's better...I'd imagine if Disney didn't own Marvel it would be a different story....Oh well it's going to come back eventually....
    Has it been confirmed anywhere that the Spider-Man rights revert back to Marvel if Sony sells their movie division?

I know you linked one article that had a guy speculating that was the case, but I haven't ever seen anything that confirms that. Or anyone else even talking about the same.

That would be an unusual deal for Sony to make, and very different than the previous deal Marvel made with Spidey's rights:

When Marvel licensed the Spider-Man rights to Cannon Films in the 80s, the rights changed hands multiple times. First Pathe Communications acquired Cannon and they sent the rights to 21st Century Film Corp. Then 21st Century sold TV rights for the film to Viacom, home video rights to Columbia, and theatrical rights to Carolco Pictures. After all that, the rights were bought by MGM. Fortunately for Marvel, after a legal battle with MGM in the late 90s, it was determined that the licensing rights had indeed finally expired and they were able to sell them outright (as opposed to licensing) to Sony.

So in a nutshell, I'm not sure its a given that the Spider-Man rights terminate and revert to Marvel if Sony sells. I hope they do, as I think that would easily be the best thing for the franchise, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

This pretty much sums up the situation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twA9mV9R0hY
    Would at the very least make for a very fun final fight with Galactus.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Has it been confirmed anywhere that the Spider-Man rights revert back to Marvel if Sony sells their movie division?

I know you linked one article that had a guy speculating that was the case, but I haven't ever seen anything that confirms that. Or anyone else even talking about the same.

That would be an unusual deal for Sony to make, and very different than the previous deal Marvel made with Spidey's rights:

When Marvel licensed the Spider-Man rights to Cannon Films in the 80s, the rights changed hands multiple times. First Pathe Communications acquired Cannon and they sent the rights to 21st Century Film Corp. Then 21st Century sold TV rights for the film to Viacom, home video rights to Columbia, and theatrical rights to Carolco Pictures. After all that, the rights were bought by MGM. Fortunately for Marvel, after a legal battle with MGM in the late 90s, it was determined that the licensing rights had indeed finally expired and they were able to sell them outright (as opposed to licensing) to Sony.

So in a nutshell, I'm not sure its a given that the Spider-Man rights terminate and revert to Marvel if Sony sells. I hope they do, as I think that would easily be the best thing for the franchise, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
    I'll post in when I find it but why do you have to be so negative? You really think things like that don't happen? Have an open mind...

Here's an article that makes some sense I'll prove it because that's what people need....

If Sony sells off their entertainment division, including the movie studio, it would throw the Spider-Man license into question. Disney is waiting on government approval to spend $52.4 billion on 21st Century Fox, so they may not be the most likely buyer. If another company buys Sony Entertainment, there would be questions as to whether or not the rights to Spider-Man would, or even could be included in the deal.

Not all licensing agreements are transferrable. Itís not uncommon for licensing agreements to include language that explicitly makes them non-transferrable. Itís hard to imagine Marvel Entertainment allowing Sony to transfer the Spider-Man license in the event the entertainment division is sold, but stranger things have happened.

If the rights are transferrable without requiring any approval from Marvel or parent company Disney, then Spider-Man would go to whichever company buys Sony Entertainment. If, however, Marvel has been smart enough to protect themselves against such a possibility, then we are looking at a pair of scenarios.

The first would be Sony, knowing that it plans to sell their own entertainment division anyway, negotiates with Disney specifically for the rights to Spider-Man. Basically, Sony would just go ahead and get one last chunk of cash, or even a sustainable revenue stream with a percentage of future earnings in the sale of the Spider-Man movie rights back to Disney.

The second would be the Spider-Man license reverting back to Disney/Marvel automatically if Sony Entertainment is sold and there is no option for the rights to be transferred.
    Last edited by Megalodon; August 25, 2019 at 12:16pm.

I don't think it's being too negative to be skeptical about the rights just reverting back to Disney when just anyone buys Sony--that does sound much easier than these tangled webs usually end up being. It's good to be cautious. If it *is* that easy though, there's not much to worry about, is there? Disney (and we MCU fans) can sit back and wait and all will be solved in a year or so. Either Sony will be bought out or they'll sell to Disney so they don't lose money (although if that's what'll happen, Disney would be smarter to just wait for the sale of Sony--which may be why this has all hit the fan the way it has). I'm hopeful something is worked out either way because I really want Spider-Man and his characters to stay in the MCU, no strings attached, and maybe be more fully integrated than they've been so far. At the moment this feels like the new James Gunn being fired from GotG vol 3 scandal that we'll have to just live with for a year before it maybe gets resolved. As it is, I feel like this will continue at least until Morbius tanks and/or Sony can really measure how badly the split impacts hype for their Spider movies. I can't say the people who thought of secret agent Aunt May have my confidence.

I've seen some commentators really blame Disney (particularly Screenrant for some reason), but there's a lot of anger at Sony for taking him out of the MCU as well. Personally, I'd be more worried and most eager to cut a deal if I were Sony in this scenario. Being part of the MCU generates valuable hype, and losing it seems like a big loss to me, particularly when it comes with upset fans. Venom and Spiderverse both benefited from the buzz that they could possible be included in the MCU thanks to the multiverse angle. They also had some help from Feige as they've said he consulted on Venom and Spiderverse used Kingpin who should not have been available to Sony without Disney/Marvel since he's tied to Daredevil rights (despite originally being a Spider-Man villain). Additionally both Venom and Spiderverse were released in a nice competition-free window between major MCU releases, something Disney is surely not going to allow them in the future. I don't know that clearly being outside of the MCU will hurt them--certainly Deadpool didn't need it--but I believe clearly not being in the MCU was a factor in the failures of Dark Phoenix, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Fant4stic Four. If I could avoid that drop, I would, but hey, I'm not a Sony exec.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I don't think it's being too negative to be skeptical about the rights just reverting back to Disney when just anyone buys Sony--that does sound much easier than these tangled webs usually end up being. It's good to be cautious. If it *is* that easy though, there's not much to worry about, is there? Disney (and we MCU fans) can sit back and wait and all will be solved in a year or so. Either Sony will be bought out or they'll sell to Disney so they don't lose money (although if that's what'll happen, Disney would be smarter to just wait for the sale of Sony--which may be why this has all hit the fan the way it has). I'm hopeful something is worked out either way because I really want Spider-Man and his characters to stay in the MCU, no strings attached, and maybe be more fully integrated than they've been so far. At the moment this feels like the new James Gunn being fired from GotG vol 3 scandal that we'll have to just live with for a year before it maybe gets resolved. As it is, I feel like this will continue at least until Morbius tanks and/or Sony can really measure how badly the split impacts hype for their Spider movies. I can't say the people who thought of secret agent Aunt May have my confidence.

I've seen some commentators really blame Disney (particularly Screenrant for some reason), but there's a lot of anger at Sony for taking him out of the MCU as well. Personally, I'd be more worried and most eager to cut a deal if I were Sony in this scenario. Being part of the MCU generates valuable hype, and losing it seems like a big loss to me, particularly when it comes with upset fans. Venom and Spiderverse both benefited from the buzz that they could possible be included in the MCU thanks to the multiverse angle. They also had some help from Feige as they've said he consulted on Venom and Spiderverse used Kingpin who should not have been available to Sony without Disney/Marvel since he's tied to Daredevil rights (despite originally being a Spider-Man villain). Additionally both Venom and Spiderverse were released in a nice competition-free window between major MCU releases, something Disney is surely not going to allow them in the future. I don't know that clearly being outside of the MCU will hurt them--certainly Deadpool didn't need it--but I believe clearly not being in the MCU was a factor in the failures of Dark Phoenix, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Fant4stic Four. If I could avoid that drop, I would, but hey, I'm not a Sony exec.
    See this is what we need a person who leaves his window open not just shooting it down with a care without maybe being valid...

I'll post in when I find it but why do you have to be so negative? You really think things like that don't happen? Have an open mind...

Here's an article that makes some sense I'll prove it because that's what people need....
    How was I being negative? I was just saying not to assume that the rights would revert back because one guy said so. Even your supporting article outlines that it may or may not happen. Especially because Marvel was in such a dark place with no leverage when they made the deal with Sony.

I'm trying to look at the bigger picture, not just what I want or what I think would be best for the franchise.

I want the rights to go back to Marvel as much as anyone, but no one at Disney or Sony care what I want.

This! X100!!

I'm fine with whatever happens to Spidey on the big screen... Both Sony and Marvel Studios botched his character up to almost irreparable status anyway...

Don't get me wrong, because I loved the way in which Mysterio turned out in Far From Home, but I feel that this movie would have been panned if it came directly from Sony... it is a very ho-hum film and Spidey doesn't even wear the red & blue throughout the whole movie - with the exception of a short illusion scene...

All my Spider-Man hopes are with Sony Pictures Animation and their magnificent Into The Spider-Verse portrayal of not just one, but SIX, different Spider-(wo)men. I am way more excited to see a Spider-Verse sequel than any live-action Spider-Man sequel...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior
    How was I being negative? I was just saying not to assume that the rights would revert back because one guy said so. Even your supporting article outlines that it may or may not happen. Especially because Marvel was in such a dark place with no leverage when they made the deal with Sony.

I'm trying to look at the bigger picture, not just what I want or what I think would be best for the franchise.

I want the rights to go back to Marvel as much as anyone, but no one at Disney or Sony care what I want.
    Yeah Spidey rights were complicated for years, so I imagine this is probably not as clear-cut either. And you're right, neither Disney nor Sony ultimately care what the fans want until it hits their bottom line and that remains to be seen. Sony made great Spider-Man movies before, so maybe they can do so again. Personally, I think Into the Spiderverse is the best Spider-man movie since Spider-Man 2, so just do more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Yeah Spidey rights were complicated for years, so I imagine this is probably not as clear-cut either. And you're right, neither Disney nor Sony ultimately care what the fans want until it hits their bottom line and that remains to be seen. Sony made great Spider-Man movies before, so maybe they can do so again. Personally, I think Into the Spiderverse is the best Spider-man movie since Spider-Man 2, so just do more of that.
    Spider-Verse is my clear favorite, but I do like the Jon Watts movies better than the Sam Raimi ones.

Heroic Warrior
    Spider-Verse is my clear favorite, but I do like the Jon Watts movies better than the Sam Raimi ones.
    I can understand that. For me, I just really like Spidey as an adult, and that is what downgrades the Jon Watts films for me. I do like Tom Holland though, but just like Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, he doesn't need to be a high school student IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I can understand that. For me, I just really like Spidey as an adult, and that is what downgrades the Jon Watts films for me. I do like Tom Holland though, but just like Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, he doesn't need to be a high school student IMHO.
    As a stand-alone hero, I'm OK with Spidey as an adult. But when he's in context with the rest of the MCU, I love the uniqueness and contrast of him being younger than everyone else.

And I generally prefer younger Spider-Man in the comics to the adult version. I think he loses a lot of the wonder, innocence and naivety that were so much a part of the character for so long.

Whatever happens to this Spider-Man issues, I hope hardcore Marvel fans here remember to support the soonest next Spider-Man project to be made... I know I will.....It's all about Spider-Man....not Disney or Sony.

Love the Supaidaman and his big robot Leopardon pitch....

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This! X100!!

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...NDAxNg%3D%3D.2

I'm fine with whatever happens to Spidey on the big screen... Both Sony and Marvel Studios botched his character up to almost irreparable status anyway...

Don't get me wrong, because I loved the way in which Mysterio turned out in Far From Home, but I feel that this movie would have been panned if it came directly from Sony... it is a very ho-hum film and Spidey doesn't even wear the red & blue throughout the whole movie - with the exception of a short illusion scene...

All my Spider-Man hopes are with Sony Pictures Animation and their magnificent Into The Spider-Verse portrayal of not just one, but SIX, different Spider-(wo)men. I am way more excited to see a Spider-Verse sequel than any live-action Spider-Man sequel...
    That's awesome.

Disney are just being greedy as usual. They want to own everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Whatever happens to this Spider-Man issues, I hope hardcore Marvel fans here remember to support the soonest next Spider-Man project to be made... I know I will.....It's all about Spider-Man....not Disney or Sony.

Love the Supaidaman and his big robot Leopardon pitch....

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    As long as the films are good it doesn't matter who makes them.

I found Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse to be one of the best Spiderman movies out there. I am not usually a fan of the whole multiverse angle (because I think it is about as lazy as time travel as a plot device), but I really enjoyed that flick. Spider Pig has to be the worst invention ever in the history of comments, but I didn't even find him all that offensive in that flick.

We have three different Spiderman movie franchises now, how many do we need?!?

Just kidding (before someone throws Spiderman figures at my head)
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"