Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Chance for Classics as Exclusives?

A Chance for Classics as Exclusives?

I realize that Mattel is no longer allowing Super 7 to produce " Classics" . HOWEVER, weren't these past power-con exclusives not produced by Mattel? Could this mean that we may still see some classics but as Con Exclusives produced by Mattel? Was there any mention of this? Did anyone ask them?

A great question for Val.

I also wondered about third party figures for some of the holes, especially new adventures. When updated, they don’t even look the same to most outsiders.Change the name and we’ll get who it is.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

I was wondering about that too. Would Power Con be able to squeeze Classics style exclusives out or do they have to switch to Origins format next year to build hype for the launch? Joecon I remember squeezed out about a year or two past the introduction of the 25 Anniversary styling for figures before they had to change their box sets out. This is a completely different animal and Hasbro does work 2 years out on stuff.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Heroic Warrior
    You might be able to have a retailer like Amazon or Targets back exclusives, honestly.

They’ve backed a mix of obscure and iconic Transformers.

The biggest problem in general is that the MOTUC figures people WANT are not marketable to new collectors on their own.

You might have a better shot at two packs like NECA TMNT.

I think the smartest way to do that is to make sure every two pack gets a “main eight” or so character — but there are ways to do this without them being total repeats. 200x Teela, He-Man, and Skeletor are workable. 200x Skeletor vs. Miro, 200x Teela vs. Lady Slither, 200x He-Man vs. v2 Triclops, 200x v2 Stratos v 200x Evil Lyn.

NA Sebrian vs Battle Blades Skeletor, NA Teela vs Butthead, NA Battle Punch He-Man vs. Hoove, NA Kayo vs Hordak (not to seem too lazy but he could be entirely reused parts going off a NA Skeletor base with Horde Prime bits in gunmetal and purple or something).

Maybe a Filmation 2 pack thing. Teela vs Skeletor, Man-at-Arms vs Evil Lyn, He-Man vs Negator, Ram Man vs Leech.

Either targeted at the back wall of Target’s electronics or Amazon.

Mattel doesn't want to make MOTUC, so no.

I think there might be a chance for a Power Con exclusive, but I wouldn't be shocked if Power Con gets an Origins exclusive instead.

Also don't think we'll see "Third party" figures. Between Super 7 doing MOTUC "style" figures and the 4H's own Mythic Legions, there's no room left for much else. Transformers has a huge, obsessive fan base that will support that kind of thing and as big as MOTU is/can be, it's not comparable. Plus most that stuff comes from Japan and that's not a huge MOTU market.
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalogan View Post
    I realize that Mattel is no longer allowing Super 7 to produce " Classics" .
    Has this actually be confirmed now?

Quote Originally Posted by Death Metaltor View Post
    Has this actually be confirmed now?
    That was pretty much the talk at Power-Con... Until the Kevin Smith announcement.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I realize that Mattel is no longer allowing Super 7 to produce " Classics" . HOWEVER, weren't these past power-con exclusives not produced by Mattel? Could this mean that we may still see some classics but as Con Exclusives produced by Mattel? Was there any mention of this? Did anyone ask them?
    I agree with you. And I also think it's the new sales system that Mattel will use for the Classics.
    The only thing confirmed is that Super7 will no longer produce the Classics, but Mattel never confirmed the end of the MOTUC Line.
    It's even the opposite, watch again the Pixel-Dan interview at the SDCC :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQted_GN6XU&t=415s
    Ruben confirms that there are still so many figures to be produced.
    And look at Britt's smile towards ruben when pixel-dan asks if the MOTUC Line is over, if that was the case she would have been embarrassed .
    And every year there is 4 big " Con " ( New York Toy Fair, San Diego Comic-Con, LA Power-Con and New York Comic-con ). With only 2 Figures per Show we have already 8 Classics per Year .
    It will not be full MOTUC years anymore, but some exclusives to boost their presence during the shows.

Since Super 7 has more than filled up completely the open Classics left (Conan / Turtles / Thundercats)....I still think we may see some odd figure...a Christmas Exclusive...or SDCC next year...or Power Con...

I would imagine we might at least (maybe at most) still see exclusives at Power-Con, but what do I know?
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    A great question for Val.
    A few RGD podcasts earlier, There was a discussion regarding the 35th anniversay
    of She-Ra where Val was reasonably hinting about a possible slot dedicated to her Starburst version as
    classics figure. Now, things move so fast lately, who knows if that's even on the table anymore.
    NEW ALBUM "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    A few RGD podcasts earlier, There was a discussion regarding the 35th anniversay
    of She-Ra where Val was reasonably hinting about a possible slot dedicated to her Starburst version as
    classics figure. Now, things move so fast lately, who knows if that's even on the table anymore.
    Yes I recall them mentioning it - If it is plausible - it is possible

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I think may happen.

Gamestop has been carrying some MOTUC (sparsely) over the years. Mattel MAY or may not decide to put out one Classics Exclusive per year at a Con that will eventually end up at retail. Also there are other exclusives like Amazon or BBTS - but they HAVE to be guaranteed sellers and not something that ONLY hardcore fans would want. To Cobralas point, they would need to mix-it up a bit , and such was the case with Neca's turtles.

I think their deal with Super 7 (side from the extraneous merch and 3 3/4 line) -is pretty much dissolved.. Also, there may have been a clause in that contract, that if the license deal were to conclude prematurely Super 7 may be owed something or another. If they don't pay out, they could allow for "limited" releases on "Classics" characters - who knows.

But it would be completely insane to simply conclude the MOTUC where it stands. MOTUC is what really propelled "the .org "( at least for me ). I visited once in a while before MOTUC , but when MOTUC came into the picture, he-man.org became a daily thing. It has since slowed down. But I also noticed this change amongst fans of MOTU and MOTUC. I think Mattel underestimates the impact of classics.. In fact, I would go on to say that MOTU CLASSICS helped popularize the brand and there would be no "Origins" if it weren't for classics. I think they would have tried to reboot it , yet again, In a Ben 10 or Adventure Time fashion. Look what happened to Thundercats - those poor Thunderians. Anyway I hope this is the case and Mattel gives "Classics" fans a little something more over the next few years.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    But it would be completely insane to simply conclude the MOTUC where it stands. MOTUC is what really propelled "the .org "( at least for me ). I visited once in a while before MOTUC , but when MOTUC came into the picture, he-man.org became a daily thing. It has since slowed down. But I also noticed this change amongst fans of MOTU and MOTUC. I think Mattel underestimates the impact of classics..
    Totally completely 100% agree. I remember those days where there were reveals at SDCC. It was Classics reveals what we waited for! and this .org used to be like a big party those days.... Classics has been a great line, and still has so much potential to grow, eras to explore, characters to produce...
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Heroic Warrior
    Yes I recall them mentioning it - If it is plausible - it is possible

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I think may happen.

Gamestop has been carrying some MOTUC (sparsely) over the years. Mattel MAY or may not decide to put out one Classics Exclusive per year at a Con that will eventually end up at retail. Also there are other exclusives like Amazon or BBTS - but they HAVE to be guaranteed sellers and not something that ONLY hardcore fans would want. To Cobralas point, they would need to mix-it up a bit , and such was the case with Neca's turtles.

I think their deal with Super 7 (side from the extraneous merch and 3 3/4 line) -is pretty much dissolved.. Also, there may have been a clause in that contract, that if the license deal were to conclude prematurely Super 7 may be owed something or another. If they don't pay out, they could allow for "limited" releases on "Classics" characters - who knows.

But it would be completely insane to simply conclude the MOTUC where it stands. MOTUC is what really propelled "the .org "( at least for me ). I visited once in a while before MOTUC , but when MOTUC came into the picture, he-man.org became a daily thing. It has since slowed down. But I also noticed this change amongst fans of MOTU and MOTUC. I think Mattel underestimates the impact of classics.. In fact, I would go on to say that MOTU CLASSICS helped popularize the brand and there would be no "Origins" if it weren't for classics. I think they would have tried to reboot it , yet again, In a Ben 10 or Adventure Time fashion. Look what happened to Thundercats - those poor Thunderians. Anyway I hope this is the case and Mattel gives "Classics" fans a little something more over the next few years.
    I'm not convinced that Mattel having "no plans" for MOTUC means they'd never do them. I do think any in the next 2-3 years would have to come from Mattel and Mattel would have to see a market for them.

I think Mattel will reach far and wide from 2021 movie merch and so "deluxe" MOTUC buck He-Man and Keldor/Skeletor feel likely, in much the same way they shifted how they did DC movie merch so that the bulk of the line is cheap and kid friendly but they do 1-2 figures for a premium market buyer. Mattel is going to be throwing everything at the 2021 movie IMHO. There will probably be Barbie dolls. And roleplay power swords and havoc staffs. And car mudflaps and air fresheners.

So a 2 7 inch figure case of the movie versions feels like the kind of thing you do with movies, aiming for all pricepoints, scales, and demographics. Maybe a 4 figure case with slight redecos of the basic He-Man and Skeletor as an "evolutions" thing.

I think the NECA Turtles probably DO create a market opening. By bundling 2 figs, they end up outside the price category of the main figures and they get sold in a collectible spot rather than a toy spot. GameStop and/or the back wall of Target, not aimed at kids. Maybe shipped alongside a LootCrate clone full of He-Man shield coasters and power sword bottle openers and a couple of minis. Maybe oversized minis that compete with Funko Pops.

The two pack adult collector route seems to be working in today's market. I figure Filmation and 200x would be easy first assortments. 200x maybe even moreso because there's less wrangling with Universal and because the costume designs differ more from the ones being used in MOTUO. He-Man, Teela, Man-at-Arms, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, and someone like Clawful or Triclops. 200x is one of those things where the parts mostly exist, the main characters haven't been done, and it brands itself separate. Do a few waves of that (throwing in Disco Skeletor and Smash Blade He-Man as easy redecos) then Filmation once you're sure it's worth the licensing fee. Then maybe one wave of New Adventures to round things out or as con exclusives.

You can tailor it to work in most of the "missing" figures".

But I think all that will be decided after we see how 7 inch 2021 movie figures sell. I think it will mostly be a 2 figure merch afterthought they start planning 8 months from now after they've locked down to the movie 5.5s. And if those go big, they'll have retailer interest in more merch and an easy gameplan they can crib from NECA. But it'd be 2021 before they think about that.

Right now, I think all their energy is on Origins wave 2-3. I imagine next summer, their energy will be on movie 5.5 and they might have an opportunity to look at 2021 movie MOTUC special releases. If those flop, it's done. If those go well, they'll probably look at adult collector 2 packs that sprinkle in new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Mattel is going to be throwing everything at the 2021 movie IMHO. There will probably be Barbie dolls.
    I suspect the dolls exhibited for the first time at Power Con last year might be the ones we're referring to right here.

Right now, I think all their energy is on Origins wave 2-3. I imagine next summer, their energy will be on movie 5.5 and they might have an opportunity to look at 2021 movie MOTUC special releases. If those flop, it's done.
    Which, we'll both agree, doesn't get S7 out of the equation if that was the case.
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

The thought of the only MOTUC being made going forward being $70 repaints that I can't get hold of makes me very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    The thought of the only MOTUC being made going forward being $70 repaints that I can't get hold of makes me very sad.
    With me as well. I'm not going to call it collector exploitation - but some characters are so NICHE and still have a demand, that I think they know they can tempt us ( even with such high prices)

I suppose this is the "right" time for Mattel to try to reintroduce the characters without having to rely on much creativity. It's "safer" for them. But I can't help but think what Super 7 would have had in mind for classics - the "surprise" and creative directions they could have gone! I really like their repaints and color variations. Even though Origins will be articulated, I still want a glowing "transformation" he-man. I would have bought a "classics" version of that as well. That being said, I am still excited for Origins. I suppose I am somewhat of a greedy collector

MOTUC , in my book, is one of THE best collectors lines that ever existed. It is everything a fan could want.

I just hope that Mattel's new team will consider the actual " fans" of He-man that have been enjoying classics while focusing on their new demographic at the same time

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    We absolutely need and deserve Motuc as ongoing Power Con exclusives!!!!!

Where is this Super7 will not make classics and stuff coming from? I believe that Brian clearly says they have the license in Pixel Dan interview at SDCC.

In the inteview with Mattel by Pixel Dan at Power Con it was implied that MOTUO is only a small portion to Mattel BIG plans with MOTU. It is just seems clear enough that Mattel is banking hard on MOTU and at this moment wants to run the show upfront, and everybody like Super7 needs to take a few step backwards for now.

The only worry IMHO is that how soon Mattel ease up and let it's tight grip to MOTU to loosen up a bit so Super7 can resume making Classics... And I hope it is not more than a year.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I really hope Power Con exclusives continue to be for the Classics 7" line, even if they are only repaints and parts-reuse.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    I suspect the dolls exhibited for the first time at Power Con last year might be the ones we're referring to right here.

Which, we'll both agree, doesn't get S7 out of the equation if that was the case.
    I don’t agree. I think any MOTUC figures will be produced by Mattel, not S7.

Looking for S7 to produce MOTUC in the next 2 years is like writing to the Easter Bunny asking for Christmas gifts.

S7 will do rugs and such. They may do Reaction figures. But I think ANY hope for action figures in that time frame will be pinned on Mattel doing them. And if you can imagine a scenario where it would make sense TO MATTEL to license out, they’d do it in house instead.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar

I agree with you and like you I was on org every single day with MOTUC news.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU7PR7 View Post
    I agree with you. And I also think it's the new sales system that Mattel will use for the Classics.
    The only thing confirmed is that Super7 will no longer produce the Classics, but Mattel never confirmed the end of the MOTUC Line.
    It's even the opposite, watch again the Pixel-Dan interview at the SDCC :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQted_GN6XU&t=415s
    Ruben confirms that there are still so many figures to be produced.
    And look at Britt's smile towards ruben when pixel-dan asks if the MOTUC Line is over, if that was the case she would have been embarrassed .
    And every year there is 4 big " Con " ( New York Toy Fair, San Diego Comic-Con, LA Power-Con and New York Comic-con ). With only 2 Figures per Show we have already 8 Classics per Year .
    It will not be full MOTUC years anymore, but some exclusives to boost their presence during the shows.
    You analysis is very encouraging, thanks for sharing your opinion that way here.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

I don’t agree. I think any MOTUC figures will be produced by Mattel, not S7.

Looking for S7 to produce MOTUC in the next 2 years is like writing to the Easter Bunny asking for Christmas gifts.

S7 will do rugs and such. They may do Reaction figures. But I think ANY hope for action figures in that time frame will be pinned on Mattel doing them. And if you can imagine a scenario where it would make sense TO MATTEL to license out, they’d do it in house instead.
    I was referring to your "flop" case scenario actually; leading Mattel to radically killing opportunities...
    I honestly can't see such a thing happening when:

a. their biggest franchise of the 80's is back under the limelight.
    b. they have the perfect partnership they could dream of with S7.

A compagny that did reinvigorate Motu(c) with flying colors during the
    past three years. Whether it is in terms of offerings or even communication.

So I guess time will tell but, again, if I were Mattel final decision maker,
    knowing that I still have the slightest chance to make a salutary profit
    by sharing it with x partner, then I'll go for it! Smaller piece of cake then what?
    No small profits! Especially at such a point in time.

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    there is no reason that exclusives should only be limited to power con. SDCC & NYCC are huge cons. classics could continue as exclusives for all three cons every year & because they are exclusive, it's ok if it's obscure characters. because that's the whole point of exclusives, that they are limited in nature & appeal. and if they continue with recognizable archetypes (harpy, Minotaur, robot, snake, cyborg, knight, Valkyrie, skeleton, etc) other people will buy them.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Where is this Super7 will not make classics and stuff coming from? I believe that Brian clearly says they have the license in Pixel Dan interview at SDCC.

In the inteview with Mattel by Pixel Dan at Power Con it was implied that MOTUO is only a small portion to Mattel BIG plans with MOTU. It is just seems clear enough that Mattel is banking hard on MOTU and at this moment wants to run the show upfront, and everybody like Super7 needs to take a few step backwards for now.

The only worry IMHO is that how soon Mattel ease up and let it's tight grip to MOTU to loosen up a bit so Super7 can resume making Classics... And I hope it is not more than a year.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    At Powercon Brian confirmed that they were not making any more MOTUC due to the new Origins line from Mattel. Instead they are focusing on Conan, Turtles, and Thundercats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    there is no reason that exclusives should only be limited to power con. SDCC & NYCC are huge cons. classics could continue as exclusives for all three cons every year & because they are exclusive, it's ok if it's obscure characters. because that's the whole point of exclusives, that they are limited in nature & appeal. and if they continue with recognizable archetypes (harpy, Minotaur, robot, snake, cyborg, knight, Valkyrie, skeleton, etc) other people will buy them.
    Pretty positive that if Mattel agrees to make exclusives for those they'll be Megaconstrux, Minis, or Origins from here on out. It sounds like those are the only lines they care about for retail after talking to reps at Powercon. Powercon is a different beast though so maybe Val has some magic for us next year. If not my collection is pretty massive so I can't complain toooo much.