Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Taylor's autobiography "He-Man & I: an Odyssey"

2002/DC He-Man Video guy

Mark Taylor's autobiography "He-Man & I: an Odyssey"

T. Mark Taylor and his wife Rebecca announced Mark's autobiography (that they teased last year's Power-Con panel)

He-Man & I: an Odyssey

cover art by the excellent Ken Coleman

Hopefully more info will be available soon!

He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I love the cover, great news thanks Jukka.

I can't wait to read this! I hope a release date is announced soon.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Really excited for this one. I don't do a lot of book reviews but I would definitely cover this

Definitely buying this!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    I'm interested in anything by Mark Taylor.

But the title should be He-Man & Me. Basic grammar!
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Warrior
    This is one of the most anticipated books for me personally....I always wanted Taylor's definitive MOTU brand bio story.

I just recently found out about this book and I can't wait. I messaged Rebecca Taylor about a possible release date and all she said was soon.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Looking forward to this too. The sketchbooks released were amazing.

I would love to see a whole new series of figures all just based on his concepts.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Heroic Warrior
    Sweet.. I got the set of art they sold last year. I missed the set from s7 few years back though.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I am looking forward to Mark Taylor’s stories.
    What I am really hoping for is some information on what influenced the different characters and what his intentions were for the characters.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I'm interested in anything by Mark Taylor.

But the title should be He-Man & Me. Basic grammar!
    I came here to post exactly this. Sooooo. +1 Hopefully... maybe... they correct it before it goes to print? Pretty please!
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I'm pretty sure "I" is correct. In this case, I is the subject of the phrase.

http://learnersdictionary.com/qa/Me-...sonal-Pronouns

Definitely looking forward to a release date for this. I'm sure it'll be an interesting read. We're definitely amassing a solid library of books about the creation of MOTU, aren't we?
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I'm pretty sure "I" is correct. In this case, I is the subject of the phrase.

http://learnersdictionary.com/qa/Me-...sonal-Pronouns
    The title is a compound noun phrase. Odyssey is the subject, and the pronoun representing Taylor is a modifier, so it should actually be Me. It is "an odyssey of me," not "an odyssey of I."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    The title is a compound noun phrase. Odyssey is the subject, and the pronoun representing Taylor is a modifier, so it should actually be Me. It is "an odyssey of me," not "an odyssey of I."
    I don't think that quite represents what's being communicated.

"He-Man and I went on an odyssey"
    "He-Man and me went on an odyssey"

The first would be correct.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I don't think that quite represents what's being communicated.

"He-Man and I went on an odyssey"
    "He-Man and me went on an odyssey"

The first would be correct.
    Except there is no verb in the title. It is two nouns modifying another noun, i.e. a noun phrase. There is no action, implied or otherwise here.

Except there is no verb in the title. It is two nouns modifying another noun, i.e. a noun phrase. There is no action, implied or otherwise here.
    Well that's just the thing - it's not a sentence. Two separate short phrases (one title and one subtitle), so it's ambiguous and up for interpretation. You could certainly read an action in there. Or you could take them both as two incomplete sentences. In this case "He-Man and Me" would sound a bit childish, like Marley and Me. So he went with He-Man and I - like The King and I.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Definitely looking forward to a release date for this. I'm sure it'll be an interesting read. We're definitely amassing a solid library of books about the creation of MOTU, aren't we?
    Yes and it's great.

Heroic Warrior
    And he man and I sounds more like proper english. And me sounds like what normal people who don't care about proper English would say, like me. I'm not proper, I don't care.

No matter what the correct grammar, I think we need to give Mark Taylor a break on the title. At least we all know what he means. It would have been worse if he had omitted a comma or something. Like in the sentences: “Let’s eat, grandma!” versus “Let’s eat grandma!” That comma saved grandma’s life. But with this book, whether it’s me or I, we still know it’s Mark Taylor. Me is OK with that!. Forget that last sentence. When I read it back I thought it made me sound like Jar Jar Binks. So, it’s back to, ”I’m OK with that.”

No one really understands grammar. English is a bizarre amalgamation of a handful of languages. So, I could care less about the grammar, but the subject is truly worth while.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Heroic Warrior
    Exactly. The title means 'An odyssey about He-Man and me'. The absence of a verb is key. 'Odyssey' is the subject. He-Man and Mr Taylor are the objects. Simple stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Ro Eats Soup View Post
    No one really understands grammar. English is a bizarre amalgamation of a handful of languages. So, I could care less about the grammar, but the subject is truly worth while.
    I always think it's a pity when people can't be bothered to learn even the basic rules of their native language. Communication is everything. A little pride in this fantastic language is not a bad thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    And he man and I sounds more like proper english
    No it doesn't. It sounds like hyper-correction.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Master of New Adventures!
    EVERYONE STOP!!!

Mark Taylor is one of the most talented people in the universe. As such, he's allowed to make up his own rules and break a few others once in a while.

It's whatever rolls best off the tongue. And this wouldn't be the first time it's been written that way:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039349/

Well that's just the thing - it's not a sentence. Two separate short phrases (one title and one subtitle), so it's ambiguous and up for interpretation. You could certainly read an action in there. Or you could take them both as two incomplete sentences. In this case "He-Man and Me" would sound a bit childish, like Marley and Me. So he went with He-Man and I - like The King and I.