Thread: Should Super7 try to buy Savage World from Funko for Future 5.5s?

Heroic Warrior

Should Super7 try to buy Savage World from Funko for Future 5.5s?

I know Flynn has talked about how they had an unarticulated Mumm-Ra and may try to get Thundercats in 5.5.

Funko is releasing its final wave of Savage World in December, barring massive sales. The lead designer Reis O’Brien has been fairly open on Facebook that he is heartbroken over it and how a factory going off specs for leg joints (which were meant to be made of a tougher plastic) in 2018 sabotaged the line. Early waves had loose joints. The 2019 figures sorted out the issues and were some of the best 5.5 figures I’ve owned.

The future of MOTU Vintage is pretty uncertain aside from being done for now. For my money, the Savage World figures were better engineered toys so long as the specs were followed. I’ve even changed out the leg joint in a Panthro with a 2019 figure. The Street Fighter figures are spectacular as-is Primal Age wave 2.

I think in particular the buck for SW when produced to specs is both more satisfying and cheaper to produce than S7’s vintage buck.

S7 bought out Funko on Reaction. I think they could probably buy out Savage World at this point and offer any future 5.5s (including MOTU) at a lower price as well as continue Thundercats and reissue Funko’s first wave of Thundercats with the 2019 material fixes.

I think it’d be a natural for S7 and keep the idea of pop culture 5.5s alive. They’d be in a position to release Funko’s canceled Conan movie wave, more Street Fighter, more Thundercats, and maybe stuff like Blackstar while creating a niche that MAYBE new Filmation figures could occupy. I bet they could use that format for Bravestarr and Blackstar and maybe Filmation Ghostbusters under license.

Funko also has unused designs for a wave of barbarian Universal Monsters with a very Horde looking Dracula.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I know Flynn has talked about how they had an unarticulated Mumm-Ra and may try to get Thundercats in 5.5.

Funko is releasing its final wave of Savage World in December, barring massive sales. The lead designer Reis O’Brien has been fairly open on Facebook that he is heartbroken over it and how a factory going off specs for leg joints (which were meant to be made of a tougher plastic) in 2018 sabotaged the line. Early waves had loose joints. The 2019 figures sorted out the issues and were some of the best 5.5 figures I’ve owned.

The future of MOTU Vintage is pretty uncertain aside from being done for now. For my money, the Savage World figures were better engineered toys so long as the specs were followed. I’ve even changed out the leg joint in a Panthro with a 2019 figure. The Street Fighter figures are spectacular as-is Primal Age wave 2.

I think in particular the buck for SW when produced to specs is both more satisfying and cheaper to produce than S7’s vintage buck.

S7 bought out Funko on Reaction. I think they could probably buy out Savage World at this point and offer any future 5.5s (including MOTU) at a lower price as well as continue Thundercats and reissue Funko’s first wave of Thundercats with the 2019 material fixes.

I think it’d be a natural for S7 and keep the idea of pop culture 5.5s alive. They’d be in a position to release Funko’s canceled Conan movie wave, more Street Fighter, more Thundercats, and maybe stuff like Blackstar while creating a niche that MAYBE new Filmation figures could occupy. I bet they could use that format for Bravestarr and Blackstar and maybe Filmation Ghostbusters under license.

Funko also has unused designs for a wave of barbarian Universal Monsters with a very Horde looking Dracula.

Thoughts?
    You may want to check out the upcoming interview with BF on this topic. It is touched upon.