Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal is releasing She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Seasons 1-3 on DVD (Dec. 3)

Universal is releasing She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Seasons 1-3 on DVD (Dec. 3)

UPDATED: October 4th, 2019

The release date has been changed to December 3, 2019.

Click here to pre-order!

--------------------

TV Shows On DVD Facebook Page

COMING ON 12/3:

* She-Ra and the Princesses of Power - Seasons 1-3 (Universal)

$22.98 SRP DVD

A reimagining of the hit '80s series, Dreamworks She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is the story of an orphan named Adora, who leaves behind her former life in the evil Horde when she discovers a magic sword that transforms her into the mythical warrior princess She-Ra. Soon, she finds a new surrogate family in the Rebellion as she unites a group of magical princesses to defend Etheria. Alongside her best friends Glimmer and Bow, Adora helps to lead the Princess Alliance against their enemies, including the mysterious Hordak and Adora's childhood friend Catra-who soon rises in the Horde's ranks, spurned by feelings of betrayal. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is a genre-smashing series full of adventure, fun, comedy, and sincere heart.

--------------------

According to TV Shows On DVD there are no extras, other than the enclosed collectible decals.
    Last edited by Tallstar; October 4, 2019 at 01:44pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Wow! That was totally unexpected. I was absolutely convinced this series was never going to make it to a physical release. With the current and increasingly overwhelming predominance of streaming, physical formats have become a moribund medium, and even such mainstream series as The Simpsons had stopped being released to DVD. Since Netflix She-Ra was a made-for-streaming series to begin with, I was definitely not expecting it ever to be released outside of the golden cage of streaming platforms.

Will they release the amazing soundtrack, too?
    Last edited by uaxuctum; September 6, 2019 at 03:30pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Why would anyone want to watch a physical copy in 720p resolution when you can just see it on Netflix in 1080p? These half-assed physical releases are really annoying.

Cool. It will be interesting to see if later seasons get a DVD release. I suppose it will depend on sales. Trollhunters never did get a second release.

This is great news.
    I have no interest in checking channels for tv shows, I want them here on disk in my library, so DVD release is the only way I will get to see this new take on She-ra.

Hope the DVDs are offered here in Australia.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Thanks for the news!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Quote Originally Posted by Khev View Post
    Why would anyone want to watch a physical copy in 720p resolution when you can just see it on Netflix in 1080p? These half-assed physical releases are really annoying.
    Because there are both collectors and non collectors who just actually like to own the physical copy.

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    Because there are both collectors and non collectors who just actually like to own the physical copy.
    Collectors who care nothing of quality? If it airs in high definition then the physical release should be high definition. They haven't sold standard definition TV's in what, a decade now?

I'm surprised they aren't releasing it on VHS.

Really? Oh my god!
    Lord Hordak

Not everybody has Netflix, so it is a good way for those people to view the show. A Blu-Ray set would be better for collectors and a single disc DVD the best way if targeting children, but it is still a good way to try to reach the masses if they can find space at Target, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart where home media space is shrinking. Outside of the top selling movie titles, I think DVDs still outsell Blu-Rays overall. Most high definition fans are just going to stream. Netflix Voltron got a second DVD release of season 4-6, but not the remainder yet. If She-Ra can get a second release, it would likely cover the rest of the show since it is only 52 episodes compared to Voltron's 78.

I do not know about the quality of this show, but I am incredibly disappointed with the Hallmark re-release of the Rainbow Brite series on DVD. They did NOTHING to it. Did not try to restore it or fix anything. The footage is incredibly flawed. It makes me sad For that reason I probably will never buy another DVD set. I usually just buy things digitally now.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I hope they do a full Series release later and find some way to make a box with a mural spine that matches the mural spine of our He-man, NA, She-ra, and 200x series spines we got back a few years ago mural.jpg
    Awesome new Fantasy RPG 5E/D&D magazine coming and you can pre-order at the link below!
    https://broadsword.samcart.com/refer...6eQLqoCrE2Uoap

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Very rare for a Netflix show to get a physical release. I hope the new Dark Crystal series follows suit.

It's cool they are doing a physical release but I have to wonder why not Blu-Ray. They did the same for Voltron Legendary Defender.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

A DVD release is great, but I'd prefer the series in its entirety. Can never really trust a streaming service to ALWAYS have the show on all the time.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Road trips...
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Because there's no guarantee whatsoever that this series will remain available on Netflix indefinitely (or anywhere else once Netflix decides to take it down)?

Or because it implies having to be continuously paying a monthly fee to Netflix (which is a lot of money when you total up all the monthly payments, although yes, it also gives you access to other contents), rather than just a single $20-something one-time payment that gives you indefinite access to the series forever?

Or because Netflix limits where you can watch it, and the downloads have an expiry date that forces you to "reactivate" them every so often (and if you happen not to be online then, you're out of luck; or some contents don't even have the option to be downloaded and can only be viewed online)?

Or because the content might get edited, modified and/or censored in the future and the original version might then become unavailable, effectively "erased from history" (like what George Lucas tried to do with the original SW trilogy, when the edited versions came out and he then tried to impose those as the only "true" versions and make the original versions unavailable in later releases, but thankfully the original versions remain in the original physical releases)?

There are so many things wrong with the streaming model as compared to the buy-once-then-keep-and-enjoy-forever physical-format model. In essence, it takes away all control over the purchased content from the buyer and keeps it all in the hands of the content provider, leaving the customer at their mercy. Streaming is good for "tasting" content (i.e., to know whether you actually like or or not) and for "casual" consumption of "throw-away" content one has no real interest in re-watching ever again. It is not so good for content that one wants to keep and treasure. (Although I realize that, for the younger generations obsessed with immediacy and a constant need for newness and having grown up surrounded by fleeting ephemerality and things [artificially] obsolescing almost as soon as they're out, this might not be a problem.)

Of course, I'd much prefer a Bluray release in 1080p HD, but getting an actual physical release of a made-for-streaming content (or of any content, for that matter) these days is a triumph, even if it's just on 720p DVD.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; September 9, 2019 at 05:49am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Because there's no guarantee whatsoever that this series will remain available on Netflix indefinitely (or anywhere else once Netflix decides to take it down)?

Or because it implies having to be continuously paying a monthly fee to Netflix (which is a lot of money when you total up all the monthly payments, although yes, it also gives you access to other contents), rather than just a single $20-something one-time payment that gives you indefinite access to the series forever?

Or because Netflix limits where you can watch it, and the downloads have an expiry date that forces you to "reactivate" them every so often (and if you happen not to be online then, you're out of luck; or some contents don't even have the option to be downloaded and can only be viewed online)?

Or because the content might get edited, modified and/or censored in the future and the original version might then become unavailable, effectively "erased from history" (like what George Lucas tried to do with the original SW trilogy, when the edited versions came out and he then tried to impose those as the only "true" versions and make the original versions unavailable in later releases, but thankfully the original versions remain in the original physical releases)?

There are so many things wrong with the streaming model as compared to the buy-once-then-keep-and-enjoy-forever physical-format model. In essence, it takes away all control over the purchased content from the buyer and keeps it all in the hands of the content provider, leaving the customer at their mercy. Streaming is good for "tasting" content (i.e., to know whether you actually like or or not) and for "casual" consumption of "throw-away" content one has no real interest in re-watching ever again. It is not so good for content that one wants to keep and treasure. (Although I realize that, for the younger generations obsessed with immediacy and a constant need for newness and having grown up surrounded by fleeting ephemerality and things [artificially] obsolescing almost as soon as they're out, this might not be a problem.)

Of course, I'd much prefer a Bluray release in 1080p HD, but getting an actual physical release of a made-for-streaming content (or of any content, for that matter) these days is a triumph, even if it's just on 720p DVD.
    My question wasn't why would anyone purchase physical vs digital it was why bother buying a physical copy of a lower resolution than what's currently available on demand. If Netflix made the series unavailable then sure I could understand settling for DVD because you'd have no other option.

But that isn't the case nor does it ever appear that it will be the case.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah as long as Netflix exists I'm 99% sure their original series will always be there. Still it's nice to have physical releases, maybe if it sells well enough Netflix will make them available on Blu-ray too.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Yeah as long as Netflix exists I'm 99% sure their original series will always be there. Still it's nice to have physical releases, maybe if it sells well enough Netflix will make them available on Blu-ray too.
    That's one way to look at it. And I get purchasing them even if to leave sealed for the collectibility aspect of it. I just think it's too bad when a company releases a show on DVD only when it airs in HD.

Especially since non-HD TV's aren't even sold any more.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    because some people don't notice any significant difference or even feel super HD is TOO sharp!

Now the too sharp thing really applies more to live action than animated, but personally I find even computer animated movies look a bit awkward when pumped through the ultra HD especially the 4K stuff. For years I avoided Blu Ray because I would see them playing in the store and the movie looked wrong. The picture was over sharpened so that every special effect stood out and looked fake whereas it had looked fantastic when I saw it on the theater screen only months before. It made the picture look wrong to me and detracted from the viewing experience. What finally got me to get a Blu ray player was the fact that so many Director's cut/extended editions are only released in Blu ray format. But even now I usually only get the Blu Ray if it's a case like that and most of the time I go with the DVD version (which are of course also less expensive!)

The best way I found to explain it to people is to compare it to how lots of music lovers prefer vinyl over digital. Not an entirely accurate comparison, but puts it in terms they can usually understand and respect even if they don't personally agree.

Now should they also be releasing it o Blu Ray so everyone can get the format they want? Absolutely.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    because some people don't notice any significant difference or even feel super HD is TOO sharp!

Now the too sharp thing really applies more to live action than animated, but personally I find even computer animated movies look a bit awkward when pumped through the ultra HD especially the 4K stuff. For years I avoided Blu Ray because I would see them playing in the store and the movie looked wrong. The picture was over sharpened so that every special effect stood out and looked fake whereas it had looked fantastic when I saw it on the theater screen only months before. It made the picture look wrong to me and detracted from the viewing experience. What finally got me to get a Blu ray player was the fact that so many Director's cut/extended editions are only released in Blu ray format. But even now I usually only get the Blu Ray if it's a case like that and most of the time I go with the DVD version (which are of course also less expensive!)

The best way I found to explain it to people is to compare it to how lots of music lovers prefer vinyl over digital. Not an entirely accurate comparison, but puts it in terms they can usually understand and respect even if they don't personally agree.

Now should they also be releasing it o Blu Ray so everyone can get the format they want? Absolutely.
    I think what you're describing is when stores like Best Buy stupidly turn off their display TV's motion blur which they think makes the demos look more "real." The effect gives you something like the high frame rate Hobbit films which tends to be pretty off putting. To each his own but I certainly don't have any problem with a picture being as clear as possible.

Can you imagine watching original He-Man and She-Ra episodes with the frames looking as crystal clear as if you seeing the live hand-painted animation cels in person? *drools*

Well it would make me drool anyway but to each his own. ;-)

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power - Seasons 1-3 (Universal) DVD

COMING ON 12/3:

$22.98 SRP DVD

-----A reimagining of the hit '80s series, Dreamworks She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is the story of an orphan named Adora, who leaves behind her former life in the evil Horde when she discovers a magic sword that transforms her into the mythical warrior princess She-Ra. Soon, she finds a new surrogate family in the Rebellion as she unites a group of magical princesses to defend Etheria. Alongside her best friends Glimmer and Bow, Adora helps to lead the Princess Alliance against their enemies, including the mysterious Hordak and Adora's childhood friend Catra-who soon rises in the Horde's ranks, spurned by feelings of betrayal. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is a genre-smashing series full of adventure, fun, comedy, and sincere heart.
    NOTE: this is a new release date; this title was delayed from 11/5 to 12/3. No reseason was provided for the date change.

71qrxdmhgdL._SL1500_.jpg81dgbkAj+KL._SL1500_.jpg

Updated the OP with the new release date.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    COMING ON 12/3:

$22.98 SRP DVD

-----A reimagining of the hit '80s series, Dreamworks She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is the story of an orphan named Adora, who leaves behind her former life in the evil Horde when she discovers a magic sword that transforms her into the mythical warrior princess She-Ra. Soon, she finds a new surrogate family in the Rebellion as she unites a group of magical princesses to defend Etheria. Alongside her best friends Glimmer and Bow, Adora helps to lead the Princess Alliance against their enemies, including the mysterious Hordak and Adora's childhood friend Catra-who soon rises in the Horde's ranks, spurned by feelings of betrayal. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is a genre-smashing series full of adventure, fun, comedy, and sincere heart.
    NOTE: this is a new release date; this title was delayed from 11/5 to 12/3. No reseason was provided for the date change.

71qrxdmhgdL._SL1500_.jpg81dgbkAj+KL._SL1500_.jpg
    They should've just called it the "complete first season".