Thread: Drawing He-Man Again

Widget

Drawing He-Man Again

Hello to all and thank you for the opportunity to post here!

The character He-Man is special to me. I'm among the very first artists to put pencil to paper on the animated series at its origin. I recall well my experiences with development and production back in the Filmation days. With the news of the upcoming Netflix series I've become inspired to creatively approach He-Man again and see what would emerge.

I put myself in the frame of mind that I was joining Filmation once more to rework the series and see where it can go. In that pretext I dove into this project. The images started as class demos at my school. I kept the momentum going and had a lot of fun drawing.

The biggest issue I struggled with was keeping his face on model according to the Filmation style. I've been practicing in this area and will follow up with more.

Thanks for reviewing this topic and this latest batch of my He-Man art!

Edit: I left the sketches in blue pencil with the intent of finishing in black like at some point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles_Z; September 12, 2019 at 09:05am. Reason: grammar

Love it.
    You're a talented person.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Nice stuff. I kinda like that it's Filmation inspired but has its own twist....

Widget
    Thank you motogp_fanatic and DisneyBoy for your positive comments. I've spent a little more time working on He-Man's head design and facial features. Exploring while trying to stay somewhat true to Filmation's original version. I'm at a different place artistically after all these years. Although I'm trying to stay on model to the original he's turning out to be different. Can't be helped I guess so why not go with it. PS - The blue line is appearing very bright and neon on my screen. The line color on the drawings is not that way.
    Last edited by Charles_Z; September 29, 2019 at 11:27pm.

Im using tapatalk and for some reason i cant view the photos .

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Very nice! Love the look!
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Widget
    Thank you Drakken!

motogp_fanatic I don't know why the pictures aren't showing up for you. If I'm not logged in I don't see the images. I'll use an image posting service and see if it makes a difference. That way it should be visible to all.

In any case I had a chance to try a head rotation for He-Man last evening. I feel I'm still struggling with the face and maybe this will help me draw the character with consistency. It's also good practice.

I really enjoy your take on his face. It's much less Anglo-European and more Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern. Looks like a Greek or Egyptian statue, which I think is appropriate.