Thread: Taking the King's Coin - BBC America's "The Watch" series.

Taking the King's Coin - BBC America's "The Watch" series.

Any other Discworld fans out there excited for this?

I've honestly devoured all the other Discworld adaptations, so I have high hopes for this. It is a shame Sir Terry isn't around to help with the adaptation (I fear it will lose something because of this) but the Watch were always some of my favorite characters in the book series. And that they'll be able to include some of the other characters too will be fun as well.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Funny thing is the series is set in the fictional city of Ankh-Morpork, where the inhabitants are free to commit crime.
    Last edited by Neophron; September 19, 2019 at 11:56pm.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

For an interesting definition of "free." Both the Thieves and Assassin's Guilds heavily regulate their respective crimes and don't take kindly to Joe Public committing without a license. And as the Watch books themselves, any crime that potentially harms the order and commerce of the city itself is treated deadly serious.

I think Pratchett said once "In the real word, laws are made to protect people from being dumb. In Ankh Morpork, the law is geared more towards punishing them for acting stupid."

- - - Updated - - -

It will be interesting to see how it compares to Carnival Row.

Lol, I was just looking at the avatars and thought you were talking to yourself. Then, I saw the usernames...
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Yeah, kinda looks that way.

I'm very much hoping that, with this being a full series over an adapted mini-series, is they'll be able to show off the diversity of Ankh-Morpork better. That's been my minor complaint about the live action versions. Unless they're very plot important, pretty much all the characters that you see on screen are humans. You barely see any dwarves, trolls are nearly nonexistent, no goblins, gorgons, gargoyles, or gnolls, and maybe only a handful of golems. To say nothing of the lack of undead citizens. Given the Watch's status as THE place for new arrival species to prove their mettle and worth to the city, it'd make sense for a series based around it to have plenty of non-human characters.

That and Nobby Nobs. They need to do Nobby Nobbs much better than they have.