Thread: Should Netflix not start to offer Filmation MOTU internationally?

Should Netflix not start to offer Filmation MOTU internationally?

With the announcement of Masters of the Universe: Revelation and it being a direct sequel to the original Filmation cartoon, should Netflix not offer the original internationally as it is a prequel to one of their upcoming original shows.

When it comes to the new She-Ra cartoon it made sense not to offer the old show, at least not at the beginning, as to not to confuse the target audience. Since itís essentially a hard reboot.

But Revelation is supposedly a continuation, right? So wouldnít it make more sende for Netflix to then also offer the first part of the Ďsagaí?

I know MOTU was available on Netflix in the US up until a few months ago, but in many European countries it wasnít and currently still isnít (trust me, Iíve used professional VPNs to check).

With the Origins toys hitting mass-retail too (I know Mattel donít own Filmation outright) in 2020, it only makes more sense, no?

Even for the actual rights-holders, Iím sure what Netflix would pay them would be more than a couple of hundred DVD sales per year. Surely this would make business sense for them too?

It seems like a missed opportunity. Maybe theyíre planning this already of course! Who knows? But as of right now, it doesnít seem like you can watch anything but the new She-Ra in terms of cartoons related to MOTU on Netflix.

I think the reverse would be better, as in offer the filmation show a year or so AFTER revelations. The hardcore fan base have access to those episodes anyway and are very forgiving when it comes to filmations flaws, but Filmation may put brand new fans and kids off revelations completely, and then there's the people our age that only vaguely remember filmation and will be reminded of the best elements (the atmospheric art, the iconic transformation, etc) but would be less forgiving of the more ridiculous things like plundor. Better to get them hooked on revelations and then dig deeper later on.

I can't say what Belgium does or doesn't have, but the US offers it on several free (ex. Tubi) and pay (ex. Vudu) streaming services currently in addition to the re-releases coming out on DVD this fall. DreamWorks owns the rights to the original whereas this new series looks to be a Powerhouse/Netflix/Mattel production. I'm not sure what if any involvement DreamWorks has with it. Netflix was kind of cheap and only had the 1st season of He-Man and She-Ra when it was on.

I think it would make sense for Netflix to air Filmation episodes the way they did with the Dark Crystal film prior to Age of Resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    I think the reverse would be better, as in offer the filmation show a year or so AFTER revelations. The hardcore fan base have access to those episodes anyway and are very forgiving when it comes to filmations flaws, but Filmation may put brand new fans and kids off revelations completely, and then there's the people our age that only vaguely remember filmation and will be reminded of the best elements (the atmospheric art, the iconic transformation, etc) but would be less forgiving of the more ridiculous things like plundor. Better to get them hooked on revelations and then dig deeper later on.
    I can see your point and I’d be fine with them dropping it a few months after! That said, my 4,5yo son really likes both Filmation MOTU & POP. In fact, often when I’ll turn on an episode of the new She-Ra he’ll say he wants to watch the He-Man & She-Ra movie instead! So, young kids - at least mine - don’t seem to care about these flaws. Folks our age might but they can also differentiate and realize that that was then and this (Revelation) is now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I can't say what Belgium does or doesn't have, but the US offers it on several free (ex. Tubi) and pay (ex. Vudu) streaming services currently in addition to the re-releases coming out on DVD this fall. DreamWorks owns the rights to the original whereas this new series looks to be a Powerhouse/Netflix/Mattel production. I'm not sure what if any involvement DreamWorks has with it. Netflix was kind of cheap and only had the 1st season of He-Man and She-Ra when it was on.
    I believe that in Germany and the UK you can either stream it on Amazon Prime or at least buy the full season. In Belgium unfortunately you can’t and I haven’t found a work around. I’d gladly pay for it, I just want it digitally.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    and then there's the people our age that only vaguely remember filmation and will be reminded of the best elements (the atmospheric art, the iconic transformation, etc) but would be less forgiving of the more ridiculous things like plundor.
    Plundor's episode has actually become more relevant now than ever. Whatever some may think of him as "a ridiculous pink bunny" (*), Quest for He-Man was one of Filmation's highlights.

(*) He's actually purple, and looks more like a hare with those long ears, by the way. And his design concept is not even close to being the goofiest MotU has had. Plus the episode script described some sinister details such as that the silhouette of his ears was intended to resemble horns. It seems clear to me that they were aiming for an image of "evil with an innocent-looking/funny/lovable face".
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Plundor's episode has actually become more relevant now than ever. Whatever some may think of him as "a ridiculous pink bunny" (*), Quest for He-Man was one of Filmation's highlights.

(*) He's actually purple, and looks more like a hare with those long ears, by the way. And his design concept is not even close to being the goofiest MotU has had. Plus the episode script described some sinister details such as that the silhouette of his ears was intended to resemble horns. It seems clear to me that they were aiming for an image of "evil with an innocent-looking/funny/lovable face".
    Plundor was just one ridiculous thing off the top of my head, but as you say there are probably loads more ridiculous or cheesy things that hardcore filmation fans have come to embrace that the average newbie would just be turned off by. If they discovered revelations first they'd probably be more forgiving was the point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    But Revelation is supposedly a continuation, right?
    Nay.

Even though they say it is a continuation it is not really not. Understand bait and switch advertising applies to shows as well.

...in addition to the re-releases coming out on DVD this fall.
    Is there anything special about this re-release btw?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Nay.

Even though they say it is a continuation it is not really not. Understand bait and switch advertising applies to shows as well.
    You say it with such conviction and certainty! Do you know something?

The thread linked below talks about the DVD re-release bonus features:
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...=1#post3850606

The thread linked below talks about the DVD re-release bonus features:
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...=1#post3850606
    Thank you!

Court Magician
    I was looking for the He-Man Season 1 & 2 on Ebay for awhile at an affordable price. I found that people owned it internationally and would sell it much cheaper than here. My concern was the Code for the DVD players, doesn't always work w/ international DVD's.

I guess i'm saying, i though the Filmation series was already international?

Widget
    I think the "problem" with the old Filmation series is that it does not have a plot going from one episode to the other. So you don't need to watch it whole to know the story. From this perspective i like more the 2002 version which has a story thru the whole series.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    I was looking for the He-Man Season 1 & 2 on Ebay for awhile at an affordable price. I found that people owned it internationally and would sell it much cheaper than here. My concern was the Code for the DVD players, doesn't always work w/ international DVD's.

I guess i'm saying, i though the Filmation series was already international?
    Filmation saw international releases, each of which had its own licensing agreement (copyright owners want to maximize their profits, so they sell the publishing rights to each areal market separately, and that's one of the reasons behind the DVD regional-code locking). Which is why a publisher wishing to re-release the Filmation series can't just make an "international" DVD release, as the price for such a thing would have to cover the separate licensing from DreamWorks for every market that the release were to be made available in, and that would make it prohibitively expensive. It would also need to include all of the many dubs or subtitles to cover the languages involved in those markets, each of which would additionally need its own licensing agreement from each translation service company that made each dub or subtitling.

"International" releases are thus only common with niche-market products (e.g., auteur cinema) that are otherwise unlikely to attract the interest of local publishers in each areally restricted market because of the small, unprofitable demand such niche products would have in such relatively small markets, so the copyright owner may agree to license a global release for a reasonable fee rather than attempt a likely-to-fail geographic market-segmentation licensing strategy for their copyrighted niche product.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; September 28, 2019 at 04:11pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog