Thread: Muppet Babies 35th anniversary and Farscape 20th anniversary

Muppet Babies 35th anniversary and Farscape 20th anniversary

Happy 35th anniversary to one of the greatest cartoons of all time and 20th anniversary to one of the greatest sci-fi shows ever and both from the Jim Henson Company despite Marvel animation co-did Muppet Babies.

I was 3 years old when Muppet Babies aired as i gotten into Muppets with the first 2 movies on video and Fraggle Rock and my parents taped me every episode of the show as i did on syndicated reruns. The show had animation by Toei and had excellent writing and won an emmy for good reason and was an influential cartoon influencing many things some good like Tiny Toons and some bad like Yo Yogi and spawned a new wave of story driven cartoons.

It was Jim Henson's idea to do a spin-off of Muppets since 1982 and in late 1983 during production of Muppets Take Manhattan he decided to throw in live action versions of Muppet Babies as it came out in the summer of 1984 and the show in September 1984, a neat little promo of the show in live action form within the movie and thus the show was a blockbuster on CBS and i even had Mcdonalds toys as a kid, a stuffed Fozzie from Mcdonalds and i even saw Muppet Babies live on stage when i was a kid.

I was 17 going on 18 when Farscape came out and dug it as being a Henson fan since childhood, i think it's one of Henson Company's finest achivements and been one of my faves and i had the hots for Chiana.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

My kids absolutely adore Muppet Babies (the original, not the new one). My son constantly pretends he is Gonzo and my daughter always wants to be Kermit. I have been re-watching the show with them on Saturday mornings and I forgot how much I loved it as a kid. My brother really loved it too, so it is kind of bitter sweet for me. Happy Anniversary, Muppet Babies!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I don't think I ever watched the cartoon as such. Although I always knew of it as their was a trailer for it on the first VHS I ever got, a Fraggle Rock video of two episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I don't think I ever watched the cartoon as such. Although I always knew of it as their was a trailer for it on the first VHS I ever got, a Fraggle Rock video of two episodes.
    Muppet Babies and Scooby Doo were always my brother's picks. I was never a SD fan, but I liked Muppet Babies (probably because of the pop culture references).
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Muppet Babies and Scooby Doo were always my brother's picks. I was never a SD fan, but I liked Muppet Babies (probably because of the pop culture references).
    I always loved Scooby-Doo. I downloaded the latest movie "Return To Zombie Island" to watch over the weekend.
    The first Zombie Island is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I loved them both growing up! and Muppet Babies is quite an influential cartoon eh?

It started a new wave of story driven cartoons in it's time and paved the way for Tiny Toons, Animanaics and more pop culture reference humor cartoons. There is lots of pop culture references and parodies in this show and also good lessons.

Sure it spawned some poor cash-in imitators like Yo Yogi and more but still Muppet Babies is excellent and one of the 80s animated gems.

And ever seen Farscape?

Heroic Warrior
    Muppets Babies was okay, I just lost interest in it after a while. But my favorite thing about it was the early CG Spider-Man at the end of the credits.

What about Farscape?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What about Farscape?
    Seen bits ofit, it never interested me.

What about Farscape?
    I have never seen it. I like Sci Fi though, so maybe some day?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I always loved Scooby-Doo. I downloaded the latest movie "Return To Zombie Island" to watch over the weekend.
    The first Zombie Island is really good.
    My kids LOVE Scooby Doo. They recently watched that one. We had a day where the weather was just crap, so I let them watch a movie

What about Farscape?
    Was a very fun show, though I think they lost something when Zahn left the cast. Scorpius made for an interesting ally on the whole "Token Evil Teammate" front. Didn't think they could have someone out-Rigel Rigel.

Did have some stinker episodes, and the series ending was harsh. Wasn't the network trying to get it canceled at that time, but they couldn't tick off the fans enough to get it to lose ratings? But at least the Peackeeper Wars helped resolve a lot of the plot threads (and it was a blast seeing the cast give an ultimatum for peace to two powerful empires by giving them exactly what they wanted).

- - - Updated - - -

Muppet babies was fun too. Though I preferred the episodes where Beaker and Bunsen came over to visit.

Nanny explaining to Kermit what an Uncle was when Robin showed up was sweet though.
    Last edited by Asher Tye; September 15, 2019 at 12:38pm.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

...and i even had Mcdonalds toys as a kid...
    I love the first 4 that were released. In fact, I have 2 sets of them. Unfortunately, I still don't have the Animal figure that was released in Canada, but not the US. That Kermit on the skateboard is probably one of my top 20 favorite toys from my childhood.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    What about Farscape?
    It should be a separate topic for another thread separate from Muppet Babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    It should be a separate topic for another thread separate from Muppet Babies.
    Both are Henson productions

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Nanny explaining to Kermit what an Uncle was when Robin showed up was sweet though.
    What did she say? I'm an uncle so I wanna know.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    What did she say? I'm an uncle so I wanna know.
    When he claimed he was too young to be an uncle, Nanny explained age had nothing to do with it. It just meant his sister had a baby and that's how he's related to Robin.

Although considering Baby Robin was a tadpole while Baby Kermit was a frog, one has to scratch one's head about life cycles in that family.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    When he claimed he was too young to be an uncle, Nanny explained age had nothing to do with it. It just meant his sister had a baby and that's how he's related to Robin.

Although considering Baby Robin was a tadpole while Baby Kermit was a frog, one has to scratch one's head about life cycles in that family.
    lol. Well, you can't take "Muppet Babies" as canon. It's an entire fantasy. After all, Kermit tells Robin in the beginning of "The Muppet Movie" that that movie is "sort of approximately the way it happened", which makes sense. The movie is more true to the how the Muppets met each other.

That's the one flaw of my favorite Muppet special, "Muppet Family Christmas" from 1987. It has a scene where some of the Muppets watch "old home movies of the first Christmas the Muppets ever spent together", using the puppet versions of the Muppet Babies from Piggy's fantasy song sequence of the babies in 1984's "The Muppets Take Manhattan". Granted, it was a neat way to show the puppet versions of the Muppet Babies again, but I really wish they hadn't included that because that's not part of the Muppets' canon history.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    lol. Well, you can't take "Muppet Babies" as canon. It's an entire fantasy. After all, Kermit tells Robin in the beginning of "The Muppet Movie" that that movie is "sort of approximately the way it happened", which makes sense. The movie is more true to the how the Muppets met each other.

That's the one flaw of my favorite Muppet special, "Muppet Family Christmas" from 1987. It has a scene where some of the Muppets watch "old home movies of the first Christmas the Muppets ever spent together", using the puppet versions of the Muppet Babies from Piggy's fantasy song sequence of the babies in 1984's "The Muppets Take Manhattan". Granted, it was a neat way to show the puppet versions of the Muppet Babies again, but I really wish they hadn't included that because that's not part of the Muppets' canon history.
    Oh I loved that movie. Getting to see all the Muppets together under one roof, even the Fraggles and the Sesame Street gang. I think on Muppet Christmas Toy Story beat it as far as puppet themed specials are concerned.

Was Muppet Babies just a toon or was there a live action version ? I recall the toon , not that great .

Farscape was friggin awesome and far more original than most Star Trek type series . If Star Wars and Star Trek boinked , Farscape would be their child . First time i encountered the concept of a living spaceship .

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Was Muppet Babies just a toon or was there a live action version ? I recall the toon , not that great .
    It was a cartoon, and I think most people thought it was great. It went for 8 seasons and won an Emmy. Funny that a show about cartoon baby versions of the characters lasted longer than the original show of the older puppets, which was the most watched show all over the world in 1980. Yet that was just 5 seasons. Crazy.

There was no live action show of the Muppet Babies. There was Piggy's daydream sequence in the 1984 film "The Muppets Take Manhattan" which was a song performed by puppet versions of babies Piggy, Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, and Scooter, and then their cameo appearance in "old home movies" in the 1987 special "Muppet Family Christmas", which showed baby Animal too. (a spectacular holiday special which also includes Muppets from "Sesame Street" AND "Fraggle Rock"---an uber Muppet fan's dream!)

I was a bit uncomfortable watching Farscape at first, but in college when it was aired in reruns I began to really enjoy it. I'm glad it ended the way it did though. The story was wearing kinda thin, but that last movie went out with a bang . . . not that I remember it very well since I only watched it once.

I watched Muppet Babies. Mostly because it was on, but I can appreciate what they did with it and it was entertaining.

Always lumped Farscape in with stuff like Andromeda, Babylon 5, Earth Final Conflict....you know all the shows that weren’t Star Trek. Ha

Muppet Babies however a classic and something we’ll never see on DVD she likely to the licensing of the movie clips used throughout the series. .
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Some of those non star trek shows were much better than some Star Trek off shoots . Orville is better than the latest Star Trek series .

I dont care if you take a dump in a box and write StarTrek on the cover . Its still a pile of dump .
    Last edited by Lokus; September 23, 2019 at 05:00am.

I hate Star Trek. Tried to get into it but it's just so booooooooooooring. The movies are just as bad...if not worse.