Thread: Doctor Sleep: Movie and Book discussion

Doctor Sleep: Movie and Book discussion

Near the end of August I started reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. I received it for Christmas a few years back and just hadn't gotten around to reading it. Knowing the movie was coming out, I wanted to read it before the film's release.

Anyone else ready it yet? It's kind of a sequel to The Shining, following Danny Torrance as an adult. The Shining was one of the first Stephen King books I read back when I was in Middle School, so it was kind of cool catching up with Dan now as an adult. It definitely has elements of the Shining and refers back to that book heavily but, storywise, it reminds me more of something like the Stand in that it's more of a Good versus Evil story.

I saw the trailer for the film a week or so ago at the premiere of IT: Chapter 2 and I'm definitely intrigued. Ewan McGregor seems like a good fit after having read the book and watched the trailer. The movie is definitely going to be interesting in that they're balancing being a faithful adaptation of the novel with also being a sequel to Stanley Kubrick's film. I'm curious as to how this will play out.

Anyone else read Doctor Sleep?
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Haven't read the book yet but the book and movie sound interesting.
    Read The Shining several years ago and thought it was quite good like the movie.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Near the end of August I started reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. I received it for Christmas a few years back and just hadn't gotten around to reading it. Knowing the movie was coming out, I wanted to read it before the film's release.

Anyone else ready it yet? It's kind of a sequel to The Shining, following Danny Torrance as an adult. The Shining was one of the first Stephen King books I read back when I was in Middle School, so it was kind of cool catching up with Dan now as an adult. It definitely has elements of the Shining and refers back to that book heavily but, storywise, it reminds me more of something like the Stand in that it's more of a Good versus Evil story.

I saw the trailer for the film a week or so ago at the premiere of IT: Chapter 2 and I'm definitely intrigued. Ewan McGregor seems like a good fit after having read the book and watched the trailer. The movie is definitely going to be interesting in that they're balancing being a faithful adaptation of the novel with also being a sequel to Stanley Kubrick's film. I'm curious as to how this will play out.

Anyone else read Doctor Sleep?

I did read it a while back. I agree it's going to be weird to see how they make the movie. The Shining book is vastly different from the Shining Movie... and King hated the movie. I actually agree with him. After reading the book I think the movie is junk. However that's what most people know... so I'm curious to see what they change and what they have to shoehorn in to make this show work for both audiences.

Definitely looking forward to it... but no idea if it'll be any good or not :P

Heroic Warrior
    **** Halloran died in the movie, but lived in the book.

He's alive in both the movie and book of Doctor Sleep, which is a sequel to the movie (according the trailer).

How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post

He's alive in both the movie and book of Doctor Sleep, which is a sequel to the movie (according the trailer).

How does that work?
    Resurrection?
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post

How does that work?
    There was a mid/late 90s TV movie adaption of The Shining which was a lot closer to the book.
    If Halloran is in Doctor Sleep then it can be a sequel to the TV movie.

Heroic Warrior
    Watch the trailer. It's a sequel to the 1980 movie, not the TV series. At least that's the way it's being advertised.

I'm definitely a fan of the Kubrick film. Is it a great adaptation of King's novel? Not quite, but it's a darn fine film on its own merits. That being said, I can get why the studio/ director want to go down this route as some of the imagery from that film is among the most iconic in horror cinema. There are two major differences I can think of that the movie will have to reconcile Overall, they're not integral to the story of Doctor Sleep itself but they do impact the events of the story:

First, **** Halloran. Yeah, **** Halloran died in Kubrick's film but lived in the original novel. Doctor Sleep reveals that Halloran was a part of Danny's life off and on until Danny lost track of him as an adult.

When trying to get back in touch with **** as an adult, Danny learns that **** passed away in 1999. Still, Danny is able to communicate with ****'s spirit briefly through the body of a dying woman. I really don't think this is going to be that big of an issue. Since Danny can clearly interact with the spirit world, there's no reason that **** can't appear to him from time to time and offer him guidance. The book really only has two points where **** offers Danny guidance and ****'s already a spirit in one of them: At the beginning where Danny is a child a couple of years after the events of the Shining and **** teaches him how to lock up the various spirits following him in his mind and years later, when Danny is an adult, and ****'s spirit through the dying body of Ms. Oullette. Just have a "ghost" **** appear for the first one and we're all set.

Second is the Overlook itself. It was destroyed in the book when the boiler exploded, and it's never been rebuilt at the beginning of Doctor Sleep. Of course, the Overlook is fine at the end of Kubrick's film, and the trailers seem to show it's appearance. Again, I'm not sure that the Overlook being present or not really changes much of the plot as

the True Knot (the Shining eating vampire villains of the film) could just as easily reside close to the abandoned Overlook in the film as they reside in a campground near where the hotel once stood, like in the book. Besides, the climax of the book does involve Danny having some visions of the hotel and having some things brought back, so I think the Overlook's presence won't be hard to work around. Besides, it's not as if the Overlook's inhabitants ever really left Danny alone. Especially the Grady girls, who I'm glad to see back.

I'm most curious to see if

Jack makes any kind of appearance, like at the end of the book. I'm sure it'd be a de-aging thing if he does show up, but we'll have to wait and see.

Wow! Didn't realize that Richard "****" Halloran's name would be edited so much out of here!

Update: OK, I finally got to see Doctor Sleep this weekend. I like it quite a bit. It definitely was about 75% a faithful adaptation and 25% a sequel to the original film. Ewan McGregor was great, the girl who played Abra was quite good, and Rose the Hat was amazing. The movie was incredibly faithful until (

Snakebite Annie has Billy kill himself.
    from that point on the film really diverges quite a bit.
    Last edited by Barbecue17; Today at 10:09am.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"