Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your ideal voices for MOTU Revelation?

Your ideal voices for MOTU Revelation?

With the announcement of Masters of the Universe: Revelation, He-Man and Skeletor will finally be making their return to the small screen for the first time in well over a decade.

Many of our community grew up on the familiar voices of the Filmation cartoon, whether it be Alan Oppenheimer's iconic portrayal of the villainous Skeletor or John Erwin's equally iconic portrayal of our favourite hero He-Man, for many of us these are the definitive voices that we associate with the two biggest pillar-characters of the MOTU franchise.

But for others the voices of Cam Clarke (He-Man in 200x), Campbell Lane (Skeletor in NA), Brian Dobson (Skeletor in 200x) or Garry Chalk (He-Man in NA and Man-at-Arms in 200x) have an equally essential part in their love and nostalgia for the franchise.

While actors and their voices age, their portrayals in these shows stay with us forever. New generations of fans have experienced those same voices decades after they've been recorded. These actors have all put their marks on the franchise. As these voices are essential to success of these shows and to their ability to make a lasting impression on young and old.

So while most of us may be a tad bit nervous on whether or not MOTU Revelation will pass the dreaded "eye test" in terms of artistic style and aesthetics, the other key hurdle for them to cross will be to get new (or old?) memorable voices to work on the show. I'm certain that for many of us the show will be paired with fun new discoveries and voices we can fall in love with (take for example the phenomenal performance of AJ Michalka as Catra in the reincartnation of She-Ra on Netflix).

So my big question for you is, are there any voice actors/actresses you would like to see portraying one (or more) of your favourite characters in Netflix's original series Masters of the Universe Revelation?

I'll get the ball rolling! while I'd be delighted to see Garry Chalk reprise his role as Man-at-Arms, I'm also fascinated by the idea of Brian Cranston taking on the role. His voice simply oozes "mustache" and isn't that exactly what the character of MAA requires to come across on the small screen? I'd also love Brian Dobson to reprise his role as Skeletor on this new show, I thought his portrayal of Skeletor in 200x was damn near perfect and very close to that of Alan Oppenheimer in the original series.
    Last edited by Razzerian; September 20, 2019 at 08:09am.

Pie in the sky wishing here but...Since I expect this to be a fairly limited series, why not get Alan back for Skeletor? I'm sure with some digital adjustments they could get him to sound just like he did in the 80s. Also, while he isn't a convention person, maybe Erwin would still be up for some voice work. Especially if they backed up the Brinks truck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "This supersoaker is full of urine and RAGE!!! Mostly urine."

I know I am in the extreme small minority here, but my favorite voice actors for He-Man and Skeletor were the ones from the record that came with the Point Dread playset. I believe they predated the Filmation actors.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Why not have Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella do the voices?

Most Voice Actors I know names of are probably too expensive, but . . .

Beau Billingslea as Man-at-Arms (Jet on Cowboy Bebop

. . . I can't think of anything else not already mention like Cam Clarke.

Interesting thought . . . what about YouTube personalities? Sure they would need some training, but it could be an interesting way to find people ( guests actors at least). That might be fun for publicity.
    Last edited by McHorde-Trooper; September 20, 2019 at 02:36pm.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Why not have Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella do the voices?
    Dolph could barely be understood in 87 and he isn't much better now. Langella, sure but you'll never get him. But put him in the with my suggestions.

John Erwin is a total no-go - he's old and a complete recluse now. Oppenheimer is pushing 90, so I don't think it would be wise to use him as Skeletor, but I'd love for him to voice a less central character instead.

How about including some other legendary voice actors who haven't been involved with MOTU before? Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, Mark Hamill, etc...

So long as Cringers voice is fixed I'll probably be ok with whoever voices what. That and the intelligence of the evil warriors are fixed. Dumb villains suck.....
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    John Erwin is a total no-go - he's old and a complete recluse now. Oppenheimer is pushing 90, so I don't think it would be wise to use him as Skeletor, but I'd love for him to voice a less central character instead.

How about including some other legendary voice actors who haven't been involved with MOTU before? Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, Mark Hamill, etc...
    Peter Cullen as MAA might be a good fit! I’ve thought of Mark Hamill as Skeletor but honestly I think he’d sound too similar to Joker. Whenever Hamill does a maniacial villain like that it sounds too similar to his Joker. But perhaps as... Count Marzo or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mossgreen View Post
    Pie in the sky wishing here but...Since I expect this to be a fairly limited series, why not get Alan back for Skeletor? I'm sure with some digital adjustments they could get him to sound just like he did in the 80s. Also, while he isn't a convention person, maybe Erwin would still be up for some voice work. Especially if they backed up the Brinks truck.

Honestly I’m assuming this will be another 52-episode run to be honest. Why would it be a limited run? As for Alan Oppenheimer reprising his role... it’d be awesome, but as has been pointed out by Durendal, he’s nearing 90-years old already. And voice acting can be a straining job, if it were for a one-off (like a guest appearance) I’m sure that he’d love to do that, but a fulltime gig for an extensive production run feels like a tall order for a man his age.

Dolph could barely be understood in 87 and he isn't much better now. Langella, sure but you'll never get him. But put him in the with my suggestions.

Dolph Lundgren's strange accent was a "plus" in my book. Having He-Man speak perfectly clear modern American English would feel wrong. It gave He-Man an other worldly aura about him. You can hardly understand him because he is not from Earth. Think of it as an "Eternian" accent.

Then every Eternian would need to speak with that accent...

Mark Hamill does a good gravelly voice. He could pull off Trap-Jaw, Count Marzo, or another voice. Frank Welker could still pull off a ton of voices.

Lena Headey (she recently did Dark Crystal) as the Sorceress or Queen Marlena.

Scott Menville (Flex Armstrong/Robin), Will Friedle (Bumblebee/Lion-O), or Taylor Gray (Ezra Bridger) as Adam/He-Man.

Kelsey Grammer (Blinky Trolllhunters) as Man-At-Arms.

Jeffrey Combs (Ratchet/Rat King) as Man-At-Arms or Tri-Klops.

Steve Blum (Starscream/Zeb from Star Wars Rebels/Heatwave) as Beast-Man or Battle Cat.

Steven Yeun (Steve Palchuk Trollhunters), Charlie Saxton (Tobi Trollhunters), Greg Cipes (Mikey from TMNT, Beast Boy), or Jason Mewes as Orko.

Heroic Warrior
    Just don't go the celeb stunt casting route like with Jason Biggs on TMNT.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

I'd love to see the names of people involved in the franchise reunited in some way. For example John and Alan as He-Man and Skeletor (obv) but also people like Nicole Oliver and Gary Chalk as Sorceress and MAA from the 200X cartoon.

Obviously, many of them have sadly passed - Linda, George, Gabe and of course Lou - but to have some of the previous voice actors back would be a dream come true.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Dylamug - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets - King Ahgo - Filmation Grizzlor, Mantenna, Leech, Modulok and Multi-Bot

Greg Berger as Battlecat!

Mark H as trapjaw would be cool
    DannyTreyho as anybody he wants( Clawful )
    Lance hendrickson as Somebody cool._.

Either way I cant wait._.._
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Just don't go the celeb stunt casting route like with Jason Biggs on TMNT.
    Yes I second that! Unless the celebrity can actually fit the character like what Pixar does, then don't do it!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up Erika Scheimer yet. She seems like a lock for some role or at least a cameo.

Heroic Warrior
    maybe Jim Cummings could voice Skeletor.

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up Erika Scheimer yet. She seems like a lock for some role or at least a cameo.

A cameo as a nod to the original series would be nice, but I wouldn't want her to get a significant, recurring role. I think I'm not the only one who would say that her voice acting abilities leave a lot to be desired.

What do you mean? Gabe Khouth is still -----

never mind....

- - - Updated - - -

Well...I'd suggest Christopher McCulloch as Skeletor, using his voice for "The Monarch" from The Venture Bros...and probably Danny Pudi as Orko.

There's a petition running on change.org to get Kevin Smith to cast Alan Oppenheimer as Skeletor for MOTUR...

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-kev...Vb6xSI7TynFxpE

Hoo boy...

Sounds weird but I'm into this Video game VO stuff so.

Travis Willingham - He-Man/Adam

Robin Atkin Downes - Man-At-Arms

Erica Lindbeck would be great as - Teela

Jim Cummings - Randor

Sounds little weird here but I'd vote for Matt Mercer as Skeletor.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

I honestly think Roger Craig Smith could make for a good Skeletor. His Score Creeper role from Unikitty! seems to be heavily drawing from OG Skeletor to start. Maybe just a little bit more nasal, and I could see him working out in the role.