Thread: Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Okay, so went and saw this film last night. Kinda reminded me of Apocalypse Now set in space. Kinda depressing how it ends

with the idea there is no alien life and humanity is alone
    but it's also kinda touching. Brad Pitt did a pretty good job acting as Roy McBride.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Master of New Adventures!
    I'm not a fan of depressing endings, but I am a big Brad Pitt fan.

I have to say, imo, the trailer looks good.

It wasn't too depressing, especially since Brad Pitts character uses it to improve his life at the end.

Looks cool! Thanks for the recommendation!
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Heroic Warrior
    I was not pleased with this at ALL. I really found it VERY boring. And there were so many fun concepts thrown in that could have made a fun and exciting movie... I love the cast. I love the Genre. The trailer looked good... But the movie itself?? I had to switch out my drink for something with heavy caffeine and still walked out with that headache at the base of my skull from fighting to avoid sleep. DIDN'T fall asleep during it... but I came close a couple of times.

Really, too many long shots of someone staring into stars... and inner monalogue examing the feelings of someone already claiming to be devoid of emotions. It wants to be artitistic… but it didn't hit the mark. Tommy Lee Jones did a fantastic job being the depressed lonely 'lost' guy... but he wasn't around for much. Heck for all the stars they got in this...nobody was in it much except Brad Pitt and he didn't DO much...

The ideas of the future with the commercial flights to the moon and Space pirate battles on Moon buggies... Sounds AWESOME!!! But that is NOT the movie that they made. They were quite irrelevant to everything and felt like they were tagged on so the studio could show something exciting in the trailer.

It had that 'bait and switch' feel to me when I walked out. Saw it with my mom who was a huge Brad Pitt fan and was excited to see him get into some 'serious acting' again and she was more disappointed than I was.

Thanks for that, phantom. I hate when I leave a theater with the only thought that I want my two hours back. I'll wait until I can watch it on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I was not pleased with this at ALL. I really found it VERY boring. And there were so many fun concepts thrown in that could have made a fun and exciting movie... I love the cast. I love the Genre. The trailer looked good... But the movie itself?? I had to switch out my drink for something with heavy caffeine and still walked out with that headache at the base of my skull from fighting to avoid sleep. DIDN'T fall asleep during it... but I came close a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I can agree with you to a certain extent. The movie does move very slowly, especially considering it seems to be marketing itself as at least an action hybrid. When I went in I certainly wasn't expecting someone to actually try to tell me of "the loneliness of good" and all that. But I do think it got its message across quite well, especially when comparing Tommy Lee Jones's and Brad Pitt's characters. We have seen the whole commercialization of the moon, expanding humanity for resources storyline before, so I wasn't that dissatisfied with it being given only a skirting glance. Especially since it only seemed to be touched upon so Roy could voice a certain disapproval of the practice.

Unfortunately 2+ hours may be too much time to spend basically rambling around in one man's psyche. Pitt delivered an excellent performance, but the high points of the movie were definitely when he actually got to interact with people.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    I can agree with you to a certain extent. The movie does move very slowly, especially considering it seems to be marketing itself as at least an action hybrid. When I went in I certainly wasn't expecting someone to actually try to tell me of "the loneliness of good" and all that. But I do think it got its message across quite well, especially when comparing Tommy Lee Jones's and Brad Pitt's characters. We have seen the whole commercialization of the moon, expanding humanity for resources storyline before, so I wasn't that dissatisfied with it being given only a skirting glance. Especially since it only seemed to be touched upon so Roy could voice a certain disapproval of the practice.

Unfortunately 2+ hours may be too much time to spend basically rambling around in one man's psyche. Pitt delivered an excellent performance, but the high points of the movie were definitely when he actually got to interact with people.
    Yeah, if it had been around 1:30 or 1:45 I may have enjoyed it. But at 2+ it just dragged.

Made the mistake of going to this at 1030pm. The parts I was awake we’re interesting. I never say this but the” special effects were great”. Great in that they were meant to be as realistic as possible instead of some explosions. I also though this was marketed as a sci-fi action hybrid and it is definitely not. I wanted to see Rambo but was outvoted.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    Made the mistake of going to this at 1030pm. The parts I was awake we’re interesting. I never say this but the” special effects were great”. Great in that they were meant to be as realistic as possible instead of some explosions. I also though this was marketed as a sci-fi action hybrid and it is definitely not. I wanted to see Rambo but was outvoted.
    From what I have heard it's not great either...but Rambo would be a lot more interesting to me than Ad Astra.

Yeah not going to see it. I don't need to see a depressing movie ending, there's enough depressing stuff in the news and politics. I'd rather the movies I watch be fun and optimistic.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Here's a hat trick for you: Rocky, Rudy and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Yeah not going to see it. I don't need to see a depressing movie ending, there's enough depressing stuff in the news and politics. I'd rather the movies I watch be fun and optimistic.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I saw Ad Astra last Friday. It was ok. There were a lot of concepts in it that I wish were further explored. A spin-off with different characters and less introspective style could make for a great space series quite honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    From what I have heard it's not great either...but Rambo would be a lot more interesting to me than Ad Astra.
    I also saw Rambo: Last Blood that same day, it was awesome. Different than the other films which are usually shoot 'em ups, this was more of a revenge story and cut 'em up like a zombie movie. Taken meets Home Alone with the gore of a zombie film.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Can't beat that!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I saw Ad Astra last Friday. It was ok. There were a lot of concepts in it that I wish were further explored. A spin-off with different characters and less introspective style could make for a great space series quite honestly.

I also saw Rambo: Last Blood that same day, it was awesome. Different than the other films which are usually shoot 'em ups, this was more of a revenge story and cut 'em up like a zombie movie. Taken meets Home Alone with the gore of a zombie film.

Can't beat that!!!!!
    Sounds interesting. Might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Thanks Jack! Those are perfect!

Another reason I won't see this movie is due to science faux pas. As a physics/astrophysics teacher, nothing bugs me more when a "science" based movie plays fast and loose with the science. I remember seeing the movie Gravity in theaters, IMAX no less, and being so upset that I stood up and shouted at the screen "Come on!" My wife was embarrassed, but it REALLY irked me.

Movies like Star Wars and superhero stuff are not as bad since they live in a non-real universe.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."