Thread: Most frustrating/annoying continuity problem

Most frustrating/annoying continuity problem

Recently rewatching (just got to "Out of the Past"), and just wondering what continuity issues most bug you?

"Out of the Past," of course, does not mesh with "The Beginning." Because the Elders didn't become an orb or power until late in the Great Unrest.

Then later there's the implication (which was never actually confirmed on-screen, despite intent, so is non-canonical to me) of Fisto being the Sorceress' husband, even though he does not look like that guy at all.

Or "Of Machines and Men" where something that seemingly happened less than 20 years ago (during the Great Unrest) seems to have fallen out of memory.

Then there are non-storytelling elements like an absolutely giant Battlecat in one episode.

So, which issue bugs you most?
    Last edited by Tzigone; September 22, 2019 at 01:10pm.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    "Out of the Past," of course, does not mesh with "The Beginning." Because the Elders didn't become an orb or power until late in the Great Unrest.
    The Elders transformed themselves into the Orb of Power and went inside Grayskull back when Randor was still a captain and Mystic Wall had not yet been built, but is built right then and there.

In "Out of the Past" episode the flashback events are described:

Sorceress: Skeletor's evil had not yet infected the land, and the Power of the Elders was secure in the Crystal Chamber.
    [after Sorceress fights against Prahvus]
    Sorceress: Again, peace came to the village, but beyond its borders, Prahvus had joined with other warlords, terrorizing other villages throughout the land.

Man-At-Arms: Yes, the Great Unrest, a time we remember all too well.

And we know from "The Beginning" that Adam has lived his life basically with Mystic Wall built up. Though the timeline can be that Adam was already born when Mystic Wall was erected. Since he and Teela are basically same age, and Sorceress only leaves Grayskull because she feels safe aka Mystic Wall.

The flashback events in "Out of the Past" for Prahvus happen before the Great Unrest starts. Its the time-frame during which injured Keldor and his cronies are on Dark Hemisphere behind a wall. But on other side Prahvus and other warlords are having a field day against the good guys.

It ends sometime before or around when Mystic Wall is broken by Skeletor. This is an unclear mark. Because once Skeletor's evil once again roams the land, its not mentioned.

Or "Of Machines and Men" where something that seemingly happened less than 20 years ago (during the Great Unrest) seems to have fallen out of memory.
    The flashback events in "Of Machines and Men" happen hundreds of years ago according to the script. You see it has a Prahvus who still has a right hand.
    He-Man mentions to Sortech that the Great Unrest is behind them. But they still fight evil. Meaning all the events that happened after Mystic Wall broke down and series started.

Then there are non-storytelling elements like an absolutely giant Battlecat in one episode.
    Are you referring to the giant Battle Lion that King Grayskull has in ancient Preternia? (eons ago)

Because that's just a storytelling device, for the creators described King Grayskull as being bigger and more powerful version of He-Man (this was said to comic creators at the time). And having him with a bigger Battle Lion just goes with that trope.

It's a completely different beast than Battle Cat.

Just as King Grayskull's wife Veena IS NOT THE SAME SORCERESS we see during modern day (Teela Na), who give Adam the Powersword. (For some fans, this eludes them, so injecting here just in case)
    Last edited by Jukka; September 22, 2019 at 02:58pm.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

The Elders transformed themselves into the Orb of Power and went inside Grayskull back when Randor was still a captain and Mystic Wall had not yet been built, but is built right then and there.

In "Out of the Past" episode the flashback events are described:

Sorceress: Skeletor's evil had not yet infected the land, and the Power of the Elders was secure in the Crystal Chamber.

Sorceres: Again, peace came to the village, but beyond its borders, Prahvus had joined with other warlords, terrorizing other villages throughout the land.

Man-At-Arms: Yes, the Great Unrest, a time we remember all too well.

And we know from "The Beginning" that Adam has lived his life basically with Mystic Wall built up. Though the timeline can be that Adam was already born when Mystic Wall was erected. Since he and Teela are basically same age, and Sorceress only leaves Grayskull because she feels safe aka Mystic Wall.

The flashback events in "Out of the Past" for Prahvus happen before the Great Unrest starts. Its the time-frame during which injured Keldor and his cronies are on Dark Hemisphere behind a wall. But on other side Prahvus and other warlords are having a field day against the good guys.

It ends sometime or around when Mystic Wall is broken by Skeletor. Because once Skeletor's evil once again roams the land, its not mentioned.
    I don't think so. My understanding was that the Great Unrest ended with the rising of the wall and Keldor's defeat. That's definitely what "In the Beginning" indicated to me - that Keldor's defeat was the beginning of peace - only cleanup work left to do. And this doesn't match because the Elders are already disappeared and sphere-like before it even starts. So I took these events to be before Keldor, not in the 16 years while the wall was up. Which would make a continuity problem of this episode having the Great Unrest starting only after the wall is raised and elders disappeared. I may just have to rewatch the relevant episodes to see if I'm conflating events or not. That happens with me and old shows sometimes - I remember what I thought instead of later reveals. But I definitely interpreted it that way at the time. It's just I may not be remembering someone correcting me back then.

The flashback events in "Of Machines and Men" happen hundreds of years ago according to the script. You see it has a Prahvus who still has a right hand.
    He-Man mentions to Sortech that the Great Unrest is behind them.
    I did consider that, so maybe I just missed that this time, through. My bad, then. It's not an episode I care for (weak on plot and big on product placement), and I didn't pay a lot of attention. I just remembered seeing Prahvus and the Great Unrest being discussed.

Are you referring to the giant Battle Lion that King Grayskull has in ancient Preternia? (eons ago)
    No. I'm talking our Battle Cat. Being the size the Battle Lion. I think it was in the ep where He-Man threw something into space? Haven't watched it in several years. I do recall a crack on the boards about "Grayskull brand kitty chow."
    Last edited by Tzigone; September 22, 2019 at 03:16pm.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't think so. My understanding was that the Great Unrest ended with the rising of the wall and Keldor's defeat. That's definitely what "In the Beginning" indicated to me
    But "The Beginning" does not mention The Great Unrest anywhere at all.

And this doesn't match because the Elders are already disappeared and sphere-like before it even starts. So I took these events to be before Keldor, not in the 16 years while the wall was up.
    Pay attention that Sorceress says "Skeletor's evil had not yet infected the land". The key thing is that as Skeletor he gets to wreak havoc on Eternia's light side only after Mystic Wall has broken down.

It would be continuity error, if she said "Keldor's attacks/evil had not infected land..." then it would be a totally different thing.

No. I'm talking our Battle Cat. Being the size the Battle Lion. I think it was in the ep where He-Man threw something into space? Haven't watched it in several years. I do recall a crack on the boards about "Grayskull brand kitty chow."
    Hm. Alright. If you can find a scene regarding this, let me know.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!