Thread: How would you incorporate Adora? Philip?

How would you incorporate Adora? Philip?

With MYP version of Hordak, how would you incorporate Adora into the story/backstory? I find it easy enough to come up with ways for her to be kidnapped, but actually have more difficulty in coming up with a plausible reason for the large army if Hordak is trapped in another dimension and bringing him back is the ultimate goal. The army doesn't seem to serve that goal very well. And without a large arm to feed and arm and house, what's the purpose of overtaxation on Etheria?

Bonus question: Do you think Mekaneck's son Philip can be incorporated into this version?

I am not aware of Philip, is he from Filmation? I'm not a Filmation fan.

But with Adora, I think I like how the Netflix show has combined her origin with Despondos and 200x stories, with Etheria being in the Despondos dimension.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I am not aware of Philip, is he from Filmation? I'm not a Filmation fan.
    He is. I loved Filmation as a child. As an adult, not so much. Jem and the Holograms (an other childhood favorite) aged much better. But I did like He-Man and She-Ra when I was a kid. Though I think I only saw all three of those shows in syndication in the mid1980s. Maybe I saw the 1985 episodes on first run, but I was too young to remember before that. My older brother might have watched before that, though. I do sort of remember that I discovered He-Man before She-Ra. And wore out my Secret of the Sword tape - for years it was the only He-Man/She-Ra I had. But anyway, yes, he appeared in Search for a Son.

But with Adora, I think I like how the Netflix show has combined her origin with Despondos and 200x stories, with Etheria being in the Despondos dimension.
    Etheria being in Despondos could work, but then how did Hordak get Adora to Despondos - since he was banished there long before she was born in 200x version?

I haven't checked out the new Netflix She-Ra show. The animation style was a turn off, I disliked the sheer number of princesses (there are way more royal heroines than non-royal, it seemed) in She-Ra when I watched as an adult, so the title didn't really work for me, either. But I'd already decided not to watch before I realized the title was in plural. Shallow, perhaps, but there you have it. I reconsidered recently, as I was in a He-Man/She-Ra mood, and then noticed the title and saw there was tons of stuff about her relationship with Catra. I'm really not into the "personal connection with the villain" thing. I think it's extremely overdone in comics in general - have been complaining about it on CBR recently. It actually makes sense for Adora, given her history, I'll admit, but I'm so sick of it that just the idea made the show more unappealing, even if it actually suits the character. Also don't like Skeletor as Randor's brother, in any version, for similar reasons.

Also, upon reading more about it, it seems like there might a "shades of gray" thing - I like battles of good v. evil, and don't want morally gray heroes or sympathetic villains. Also something I've gotten sick of in comic books, but frequent woobifying of hot villains on tv shows (see Smallville or Once Upon a Time) soured me on them before I got back into comic books. Probably wouldn't be so bad in a cartoon with an end, but in comics it can be frustrating because heroes keep forgetting these villains kill people and just casually work with them and TPTB act like we, the audience, are supposed to forget what they've done. And the fanbase for many (if they are hot) on tv shows just sympathizes with the villain so hard, and blames hero characters for every bad thing they do (particularly which ever ones aren't willing to accept the villain with open arms and trust them after the first nice thing they did). It's worse when other characters start following suit with "so and so never was that bad" or "so and so had good intentions" when we saw the character murder, torture, rape or enslave people.

Of course, new She-Ra probably isn't nearly all of that. But I don't have Netflix, and so have not seen promos and have seen little about it, it's just there's nothing to make me seek it out.
    Last edited by Tzigone; September 23, 2019 at 07:13pm.