Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Why did Orko go bad in the DC comics?

  1. #1
    Court Magician Orko the Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Conyers, Georgia
    Posts
    47

    Why did Orko go bad in the DC comics?

    In the He-Man DC comics from 2012, He-Man mentioned at one point that Orko betrayed them somehow. It's never brought up again, and then in "DC Universe vs. The Masters of the Universe", apparently Orko has become Horde Prime's newest vessel when he tried to destroy his skull of power...it just makes no sense to me.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior davelove81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    a champagne supernova in the sky
    Posts
    185
    We're only told in flashbacks, but if I remember rightly He'd found out that skeletor had acquired the skull of power (actually the skull of horde prime) and tried to steal it before skeletor could use it, but the spirit of horde prime residing within the skull was too powerful and ended up taking over orkos body. I'm not the biggest fan of that first arc, but I read that character as more of a " horde prime reskin" than an "evil orko". Not going to spoil anything, but if you hate that story arc you will NOT be happy with King hiss's shenanigans

  3. #3
    Court Magician Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Not going to spoil anything, but if you hate that story arc you will NOT be happy with King hiss's shenanigans
    I was unhappy for sure. But I pretty much disliked that entire comic story. The lead-up one had a bit of two that was fun, but only up to the characters learning certain things, and mostly not great. FTR, the 2003-2005 era (can't recall exact years) had some good stuff, but wasn't exceptional. The 1986 seemed pretty episodic like the cartoon from the ones I read, except Teela looked action-figury. Aside from the minicomics and the 1982 three issue one, are there any I haven't mentioned -wouldn't mind trying to find them to read (don't care about collecting/owning).

  4. #4
    Court Magician Orko the Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Conyers, Georgia
    Posts
    47
    I know what Hsss did: he killed King Randor and wore his skin like a suit, pretending to be him. But seriously though, I don't know why they found it a good idea to do this to Orko, of all characters.

  5. #5
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko the Great View Post
    But seriously though, I don't know why they found it a good idea to do this to Orko, of all characters.
    Personally - and I have absolutely no evidence to back this up - I think it's one of those things where childhood fans of a property end up in charge of reinventing it as adults, and quickly find some way of eliminating the more 'embarrassing' child-friendly characters.
    "Showtunes and booze, kids - that's what keeps me happy."

  6. #6
    Court Magician Orko the Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Conyers, Georgia
    Posts
    47
    So basically the same way James Gunn butchered Scrappy in the 2002 Scooby film (which I despise to this day).

  7. #7
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Hämeenlinna, Finland
    Posts
    14,171
    This is what it seems to boil down to. Classics just before these DC Comics made Orko a ”Trollan super spy” in a weird attempt to justify him. And make him ”more important” (missing the entire point of the character)
    And DC had in first storyarc that one small reference. Which they somewhat retconned in Crossover storyarc. You can see it how the characters behave and react to this info in odd ways. But I will say that you can easily skip the amnesia storyarc. Because all other volumes AFTER it tell you enough info in Flashbacks etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by ipsissimus_clay View Post
    Personally - and I have absolutely no evidence to back this up - I think it's one of those things where childhood fans of a property end up in charge of reinventing it as adults, and quickly find some way of eliminating the more 'embarrassing' child-friendly characters.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

    · ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

  8. #8
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko the Great View Post
    So basically the same way James Gunn butchered Scrappy in the 2002 Scooby film (which I despise to this day).
    That was the exact other example I was thinking of! It's weird, Scrappy seemed quite popular when I was a kid, now everyone seems to hate the little pup.

    It's a pity that this happened to Orko - the comic series could definitely have used a bit of light relief here and there.
    "Showtunes and booze, kids - that's what keeps me happy."

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    124
    You are correct. Classics did it first in the bios and DC did their own spin. He wasn't evil in the comics IMHO, as opposed to Classics where he seemed to really turn.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,709
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsissimus_clay View Post
    That was the exact other example I was thinking of! It's weird, Scrappy seemed quite popular when I was a kid, now everyone seems to hate the little pup.
    I was generally torn. I was a huge fan of Fred, and there was very little that included both Scrappy AND fred. Once he joined up a lot of the classic cast kind of faded away.


    On the other hand, I was also a big fan of Scrappy on his own. Out of the entire series he was the only one who was actually a 'hero' character. He saw a monster, he ran TOWARD it. He got into trouble over his head.... but at least he wasn't constantly running away from everything. I'm amazed at all the hate he gets.

  11. #11
    Evil Customizer smanomega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beneath the ruins of the three towers
    Posts
    2,263
    Imma throw my two cents into the ring. The main thing orko and scrappy have in common. Annoying voices. There I said it. Throw cringer in there for good cartoon messure. Know you else has an annoying voice Jar Jar Binks. Do we see a pattern yet?

    Thing is younger kids like these characters but there voices for anybody over the age of 8 is generally annoying.

    I get that they are mostly comic relief but in Orkos case I love that classics and DC removed that. Making trollans more hands on with the sword of power like they did in the myp cartoon . Is the way to go IMHO. Had the comics continued I'm sure Orko would have found a way to get back into the good graces of eternia's favorite heroes
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

  12. #12
    Court Magician Orko the Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Conyers, Georgia
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I was generally torn. I was a huge fan of Fred, and there was very little that included both Scrappy AND fred. Once he joined up a lot of the classic cast kind of faded away.


    On the other hand, I was also a big fan of Scrappy on his own. Out of the entire series he was the only one who was actually a 'hero' character. He saw a monster, he ran TOWARD it. He got into trouble over his head.... but at least he wasn't constantly running away from everything. I'm amazed at all the hate he gets.
    Same here! It's ridiculous. Scrappy is the whole reason that Scooby-Doo is still even around today!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    Imma throw my two cents into the ring. The main thing orko and scrappy have in common. Annoying voices. There I said it. Throw cringer in there for good cartoon messure. Know you else has an annoying voice Jar Jar Binks. Do we see a pattern yet?

    Thing is younger kids like these characters but there voices for anybody over the age of 8 is generally annoying.

    I get that they are mostly comic relief but in Orkos case I love that classics and DC removed that. Making trollans more hands on with the sword of power like they did in the myp cartoon . Is the way to go IMHO. Had the comics continued I'm sure Orko would have found a way to get back into the good graces of eternia's favorite heroes
    Annoying voices: eh, that's a matter of opinion. I could personally do without that little reverb in Filmation Orko's voice, but Scrappy was played by adults voicing a child. So it's kind of a given.

    I found it neat that they gave Trollans a more hands-on role with the Power Sword; but as for the DC series? They pretty much just shoved Orko into a parallel realm, sealed it up, and left him there. I doubt they'd have ever trusted him again, even if they came up with some way to remove Horde Prime's soul from him--perfect excuse for the writers (who most likely despised him as kids watching the show) to shovel him into the background. Might explain why Teela was written crap-talking Meckanek.

  13. #13
    Evil Customizer smanomega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beneath the ruins of the three towers
    Posts
    2,263
    It was a bit drastic that DC started that whole side story after it's conclusion. It should have totally fleshed itself out in the comic BUT that's the biggest problem in modern comics today. You used to be able to fit in WAY more story in every issue. These days you are lucky if they make it back from getting groceries in 2 issues.

    Strange that you guessed it was the reverb and general pitch of Orkos voice that put me off to him but again that's what it is about most of those characters that grates my ears. They all did it too Snarf ,the deputy on Bravestar ,looked Imp. Although judging from my top picks maybe it was mostly Filmation s fault....
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

  14. #14
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Hämeenlinna, Finland
    Posts
    14,171
    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    It was a bit drastic that DC started that whole side story after it's conclusion.
    There were writer changes.

    Plus the Orko thing was like one throwaway line at the last issue of first storyarc.

    It was actually good they came back to it, and did Orko justice as much as they did. There are other aspects in the DC run (2012-2016) where they corrected, fixed and even slightly retconned things to work in later storyarcs.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

    · ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •