Thread: Couple of questions about the franchise I've been wondering (plus fans questions)

Widget

Couple of questions about the franchise I've been wondering (plus fans questions)

Ok so I'm new here but I wanted to join because there's a few things I'm completely out of the loop with which I hope you guys can kindly help with, with the new Netflix show coming it got me watching all my original DVD's of the show and being out of the loop so long there was a few things that confused me a little.

Of course for me the original series is by far the best however I did pick up on the 2002 series also which I thought was very good, I'm usually very sceptical about reboots but I thought they did it well as well as included some of the rarer characters (which is something I love to see).

However could you guys be so kind to read through this and give me some info on the following?

The Curse of the Three Terrors - Comeback episode

I discovered this recently and was a little confused about it as I could see it was done by Super 7 with the same logo as the Filmation logo and was wondering if this was an official episode? I have to be honest I didn't really like it as I felt the animation wasn't right (it seemed like a flash animated segment) the whole thing just didn't feel right for me, Skeletor didn't sound like Skeletor (I know it was the same guy and I can understand completely so no knock there) but this did put me off a little though and I also saw that it was previewed at Comic Con so it's all confused me really in regards to if it's official and also how did this go down with the fans?

Faker - The Return of Faker

Similar thing as above really as I came across some images of Faker animated as a blue character (which I love!!) however every link I could find to watch the video was a dead link so I have no idea what this is, who did it, if it's official or anything. It looked really good and I've always wanted to see Faker animated as the blue character (I'm guessing when he initially appeared in the show this was before the figure was made) but what was this as I have no idea at all and can't find anything online about it other than the images in google images.

Also, in regards to Faker does anyone know why they decided to make him blue in the end (I really like this by the way!).

The 2002 Series

How did this go down with the fans of the show? I know reboots or remakes (whatever you want to call them) can often be very hard to please fans, specially long term fans which I can understand completely because when you love a franchise so much you don't want people coming in and ruining this however when I saw this on Cartoon Network I first saw the three part special "The Beginning" and I thought it was done really well, I was surprised I liked it to be honest because as mentioned above I wouldn't normally like something like this done to a show that was so good in it's original run (I did catch a little bit of the 1990 series on Youtube and that was awful!) but I thought the 2002 series was very good and I loved it, didn't ruin it at all for me, the characters looked great and were portrayed great, they included some of the rarer characters too and I just loved it and thought it was great which was surprising because I really did expect to not like it when I was first about to see it.

Masters of the Universe Classics - The Figures

A couple of questions about these, I've seen them around recently and they are seriously expensive, I would love a few of these so much but obviously I've got more chance of landing on the moon than getting some of these however what did you guys think to them and did they do the whole original figures like this? I saw a Faker one which apparently a Mondo exclusive (I'm not even sure what Mondo is) but soon as I saw it I was like "Wow" and wanted it, I thought the Tri-Klops one looked amazing too and Trap Jaw but I'm not sure how many was done or anything with them but they looked awesome, I think they were done around 2009 from what I can gather but could be completely wrong on that however I thought these looked great!!

I've heard Mattel are bringing back the original vintage figures which is great if so and hopefully they'll do the whole lot.

DVD's

I've got Volumes 1 - 9 which I've had for a while, I pretty much got them when they first come out but as far as I'm aware no other DVD's were made after this so the full collection of the original run was never available (I'm in the UK by the way), some of the episodes I did like which never appeared on these DVD's was "Search For a Son" and "The Toymaker", I'm not sure how many episodes are missing from the full collection when you have these DVD's but how much of the original series isn't available on DVD and did they never release them in full?

Sy-Klone and other rare characters

Watching the Christmas special recently I noticed the opening scene where you saw some of the rarer characters such as Moss Man, Sy-Klone and Snout Spout in the background yet we never (as far as I'm aware) saw them animated in the original show (I think I may have seen a Moss Man clip actually?) even though I believe there was figures of them out at the time, is there a reason why they never expanded on these characters in the original series or was it just something that didn't happen? It would have been so cool had these have been throughout the original series and would have added loads of variety to the show more so too, how did you guys feel about that and also characters such as Stinkor, Extendar and so many really, Rokkon and Stonedar seemed pretty cool too but I did read something about them being made after the original show had stopped production and appeared in the She-Ra franchise instead even though I believe they were marketed as MOTU figures if I'm not mistaken?

Netflix Series

I've seen this trending on Twitter and noticed it's getting a really good reaction from the fans (which is great!) from a guy called Kevin Smith, I'm not aware of Kevin so not sure if there a reason people are really happy he's on board but it looks great and I was wondering what you guys thought about that here?

Please know as mentioned originally I am out of the loop so there's probably a few things I've missed and got wrong and the original series I've mainly seen from the DVD's and re-runs over the years so I might not have seen every episode even though I've watched a lot so if you guys could be so kind to fill me in that would be awesome and thank you

Quote Originally Posted by The 90'z Rules View Post

DVD's

I've got Volumes 1 - 9 which I've had for a while, I pretty much got them when they first come out but as far as I'm aware no other DVD's were made after this so the full collection of the original run was never available (I'm in the UK by the way), some of the episodes I did like which never appeared on these DVD's was "Search For a Son" and "The Toymaker", I'm not sure how many episodes are missing from the full collection when you have these DVD's but how much of the original series isn't available on DVD and did they never release them in full?

Watching the Christmas special recently I noticed the opening scene where you saw some of the rarer characters such as Moss Man, Sy-Klone and Snout Spout in the background yet we never (as far as I'm aware) saw them animated in the original show (I think I may have seen a Moss Man clip actually?) even though I believe there was figures of them out at the time, is there a reason why they never expanded on these characters in the original series or was it just something that didn't happen? It would have been so cool had these have been throughout the original series and would have added loads of variety to the show more so too, how did you guys feel about that and also characters such as Stinkor, Extendar and so many really, Rokkon and Stonedar seemed pretty cool too but I did read something about them being made after the original show had stopped production and appeared in the She-Ra franchise instead even though I believe they were marketed as MOTU figures if I'm not mistaken?
    Hi there. I can have a go at a few of your questions!

I'm in the UK too, and I got Vols 1 to 6, impressed you managed to get up to 9 as I could never find them after 6. There were 130 episodes made, and since there were 6 episodes in a volume and you got up to 9 = 54, then you must be missing 76 episodes.

They did release the whole series as a box set, and I believe they're gearing up for a re-release soon. The entire series also goes up and down on Amazon Prime and Netflix for streaming - though right now it's not available on either. It is available on Google Play at the moment, for £9.99 per season, or the slightly sillier £1.99 per episode.

As to the rarer characters, some of them started making appearances towards the end of the animated series: as I recall, Sy-Klone and Moss-Man are in Here, There, Skeletors Everywhere, and Moss-Man is in Ancient Mirror of Avathar too. Quite possibly other episodes too, though I can't remember. Snout Spout appears in She-Ra rather than He-Man; he's in the episode Small Problems (under the name Hose Nose) and in Day of the Flowers and - I think - Out of the Cocoon. Yep, Rokkon and Stonedar were in She-Ra, in The Rock People and maybe another one - Light of the Crystal possibly(?). Stinkor and Extendar never appeared. I wish Mosquitor had got an outing somewhere, he's one of my favourite rarer characters.

Curse of the Three Terrors - I wasn't a massive fan either, though it was awesome just to have Alan Oppenheimer doing Skeletor again! Don't know what other fans' reaction was.

The Return of Faker is a fan-made film by James Eatock (who incidentally has written an awesome episode guide to He-Man and She-Ra, published by Dark Horse: it's a very good investment!). I think legal issues are preventing it from being distributed at the moment which is a real shame as it looks amazing. He's been working on it for years and it was ready for premiere this year, I believe. I hope it sees the light of day one day.

2002 series - I liked it, I think pretty much everyone else round here did too!

Hope that helps a bit!
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

A couple of questions about these, I've seen them around recently and they are seriously expensive, I would love a few of these so much but obviously I've got more chance of landing on the moon than getting some of these however what did you guys think to them and did they do the whole original figures like this? I saw a Faker one which apparently a Mondo exclusive (I'm not even sure what Mondo is) but soon as I saw it I was like "Wow" and wanted it, I thought the Tri-Klops one looked amazing too and Trap Jaw but I'm not sure how many was done or anything with them but they looked awesome, I think they were done around 2009 from what I can gather but could be completely wrong on that however I thought these looked great!!

I've heard Mattel are bringing back the original vintage figures which is great if so and hopefully they'll do the whole lot.
    I'll tackle these.

Masters of the Universe Classics (MOTUC) was started in 2008. It was mostly sold by Mattel online through a subscription service, but the last few years was sold by a company called Super7. It included characters from every facet of MOTU including She-Ra, New Adventures, 200x, mini comics, and Filmation. There was even a sub line of Filmation versions of the characters. Every original MOTU figure was re-made in MOTUC. They also made a few vehicles, many beasts, and even Castle Grayskull! Snake Mountain should be out next year.

Mondo is something different and special. They are highly detailed, highly articulated 12" figures made by a company named Mondo. So far the releases have been He-Man, Skeletor, and Faker. Mer-Man has been released for pre-order. Man-At-Arms, Hordak, She-Ra, Keldor, Trap-Jaw, Stratos, Teela, and Beastman have all been announced or teased (I may have forgotten one or two).

Mattel is putting out another line of figures called Masters of the Universe Origins. They are the same scale as the vintage, and resemble them greatly, but have more articulation. They should be out late next year. They released He-Man and Prince Adam as the San Diego Comic Con figures this year.

There are also other lines coming like the mini figures in blind bags, and a crossover with WWE.

Mega Construx (similar to Lego) has been putting out MOTU figures and sets for a while now, and have tons more planned.

You'll find more information on all of the lines in the proper forums.

Good luck collecting!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    The Curse of the Three Terrors - Comeback episode

I discovered this recently and was a little confused about it as I could see it was done by Super 7 with the same logo as the Filmation logo and was wondering if this was an official episode? I have to be honest I didn't really like it as I felt the animation wasn't right (it seemed like a flash animated segment) the whole thing just didn't feel right for me, Skeletor didn't sound like Skeletor (I know it was the same guy and I can understand completely so no knock there) but this did put me off a little though and I also saw that it was previewed at Comic Con so it's all confused me really in regards to if it's official and also how did this go down with the fans?
    It was made by Super7 under their license on MOTU products, so in that regards its official. It's not full length like an Filmation episode, and feels more "inspired" by original series, rather than be continuation of the show or act as "episode 131" as some websites tried calling it.

Faker - The Return of Faker

Similar thing as above really as I came across some images of Faker animated as a blue character (which I love!!) however every link I could find to watch the video was a dead link so I have no idea what this is, who did it, if it's official or anything. It looked really good and I've always wanted to see Faker animated as the blue character (I'm guessing when he initially appeared in the show this was before the figure was made) but what was this as I have no idea at all and can't find anything online about it other than the images in google images.
    It is a fanmade project by James Eatock & Dusan Mitrovic. With coloring duties Andrew Cramer and little old me helping a bit. Keith Seymor handled special effects.
    A loving tribute to Filmation, using dialogue from the show in complete new ways. Featuring familiar core characters.
    I think Act 1 was shown at Power-Con 2018 but it was not shown this year because NBCUniversal sent C&D to James. Though fingers crossed that it would find its way sometime in future for all the fans to see in some official capacity.

Also, in regards to Faker does anyone know why they decided to make him blue in the end (I really like this by the way!).
    Faker was easy figure to make by Mattel from reusing parts. Having him blue helps place him as "monsters" with Skeletor's evil gang. And it makes a striking
    figure for kids to pick up from toyshelves. Had Mattel planned him instead to have normal skin like He-Man, it would've ended up a rather plain looking toy.

In the one Filmation episode, they simply had Skeletor create a direct He-Man duplicate. And in the context of it, he wouldn't be blue. Though the writer of the episode hoped he would've had a speech pattern like Bizarro has.

The 2002 Series

How did this go down with the fans of the show? I know reboots or remakes (whatever you want to call them) can often be very hard to please fans, specially long term fans which I can understand completely because when you love a franchise so much you don't want people coming in and ruining this however when I saw this on Cartoon Network I first saw the three part special "The Beginning" and I thought it was done really well, I was surprised I liked it to be honest because as mentioned above I wouldn't normally like something like this done to a show that was so good in it's original run (I did catch a little bit of the 1990 series on Youtube and that was awful!) but I thought the 2002 series was very good and I loved it, didn't ruin it at all for me, the characters looked great and were portrayed great, they included some of the rarer characters too and I just loved it and thought it was great which was surprising because I really did expect to not like it when I was first about to see it.
    Having been there (man I suddenly feel very old), fans were very excited. There had been the Commemoratives releases in 2000 and then complete new toyline in 2001 with cartoon show in 2002. Fans of original He-Man were quite exhilarated to have MOTU make a comeback. At the time many 80s properties were having a wave of materials, GiJoe, Thundercats, Transformers having comics, cartoons etc. So He-Man having a reboot too felt only natural. The cartoon especially is loved for making villains more of a threat, giving action scenes that packed a punch, the serialized storyarcs and in this canon giving characters like Buzz-Off or Man-E-Faces some spotlights and origins to He-Man's Powersword and more.

"Masters of the Universe Classics" toy figures (by Mattel 2008-2014 and Super7 2015-) are completely different from the statues made by Mondo.
    MOTUC figures were sold only through online mattycollector site and later Super7 website.

There are sub-forums where you can find people discussing them and see their reactions.

Mattel is indeed releasing "Masters of the Universe Origins" figures. Which will hit retail Fall 2020. So that's pretty huge deal.
    They are based on original vintage figures, but with more articulation and some updates like new face-sculpt on He-Man, Man-At-Arms etc.

DVD's

Those UK released DVDs by Contender contain all of season 1 (65 episodes). So no; you are not missing any episodes from season 1.
    The individual volume were released up to 6th. And later the season 1 box that included Vol 7-9.
    In UK the season 2 was never released (PAL format).

At the time the Filmation He-Man and She-Ra were being released in US (NTSC format) by BCI and they released full series on both as well as the New Adventures and MYP 2002 series. If you find DVD boxsets like "Season 1 - Volume 2" then those are the BCI releases.
    Since then Filmation episodes have been released by Mill Creek in 30th anniversary DVD set and couple other variations.

Recent release will come from Universal in October 2019; full series on Filmation He-Man and She-Ra.

Filmation had a unique contract with Mattel. Where they could veto any new gimmicky toys and characters from Mattel.
    They wanted to produce quality children's entertainment so anyone who claims it was "just a 22-min toy commercial" have actually not been paying attention at all.

Filmation made two seasons of He-Man and then continued working on She-Ra series. Mattel and Filmation were working very closely on designs but sometimes you would see on cartoon a character based on early toy concept art (Tung Lashor), than what Mattel ended up making as a toy. Evil Horde was a new villain faction in MOTU toys by Mattel. But they were designed to be villains in She-Ra series, and other characters like Snout Spout got featured on that show too because it was simply too late to include them in He-Man episodes. In Snout Spout's case they do say that he came from Eternia.
    There are many reasons why some characters were not featured as much as others. Animation is a big process where you need to have scripts ready months and months prior so animation, music, voiceacting can be done. Its a long process before actual episode will get shown in Fall line up at some television station. By that time obviously there can be new figures on shelves and as kids one might think why this new toy is not on episodes airing that same month. Heh
    But if you compare to Mattel's minicomics, someone like Roboto was introduced there, but soon after he wasn't used much at all. And THOSE minicomics were controlled fully by Mattel for toy-advertising purposes. So its hard to say after these decades, that had we gotten all the gimmicky ThunderPunches, FlyingFists on every other episode of cartoon, or have new characters pop up constantly, that it would've been for the best.
    (2002 series had the benefit of hindsight, so they used a good variety of characters from the get go).

Netflix Series

I've seen this trending on Twitter and noticed it's getting a really good reaction from the fans (which is great!) from a guy called Kevin Smith, I'm not aware of Kevin so not sure if there a reason people are really happy he's on board but it looks great and I was wondering what you guys thought about that here?
    The upcoming Netflix animated series Masters of the Universe Revelation (not Revelations as some people call it) is in very early stages. I reckon there are 4-5 scripts done and animators from Powerhouse Animation (guys who did Castlevania) are busy on it too. So far no info how many episodes we will get. Or if there will be second season. Or when exactly it will air. Some folks guestimate it could come out Oct/Nov 2020 but we need to wait for actual word from people behind it.

But its again very exciting time to be a MOTU fan!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Widget
    Thank you so much for the kind replies and for taking the time out to reply in depth with things, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, after my post I saw the DVD's being released in full in the US though hopefully they'll get a UK release, I'm surprised they haven't been released in full as a UK release much easier but hopefully they will with the new Netflix show coming the timing would be right.

In regards to the rarer DVD's, CEX often have them as do eBay however I suppose if they're looking into a new release coming it's probably best to wait and see what happens there with that, I do hope that fan made episode with Faker gets released though as from what I've seen from the images it looks good

So in regards to the figures, I think it's the Super 7 one's I really liked then, they looked really detailed but like the originals at the same time which I thought they balanced right, they looked great I thought

I think it was these one's, they kinda remind me of the 2002 series in a way.

Mattel-Masters-Of-The-Universe-Classics-Filmation-Clawful-Figure-37.jpg

And I like the look of these too (I hope the pics don't show too big)

MOTU-He-Man-Movie-Classics-film-action-figures-lineup.jpg

Thank you again for the kind replies, I really appreciate it