Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 177 Discussion - MOTU books, novels, screenplays & more

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 177 Discussion - MOTU books, novels, screenplays & more

Episode 177 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, and Rob Base are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they are joined by Brian C. Baer to discuss
    4 Non Blondes meme,
    NA in MOTU Classics,
    How He-Man Mastered the Universe by Brian C. Baer,
    criticism on projects,
    adding to an existing publication,
    MOTU Novels,
    name-dropping and fleshing out information,
    writing and publishing,
    screenwriting,
    and much more!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on October 3, 2019
    Runtime: 1 hour, 00 minutes, 14 seconds

Direct link for Episode 177

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Listening now. But, I just wanted to say I would absolutely love MOTU novels, even YA novels.

It’s like how Rob said, those novels kept Star Wars going for a decade! And in the last two decades they’ve continued to pump out quality stories.

MOTU lends itself perfectly to this aswell, a proper origin story of Skeletor for example... I know it’s been done in the comics, but in a novel the writer can tell such an elaborate story! There are countless possibilities and in novels you can also take a significantly darker tone. We might never get a dark and gritty imagination of MOTU on the small or big screen, but we certainly could in book form as we already did in the comics!

Penny made a good point about the visual aspect of MOTU and how important that is for our fanbase, but isn’t Star Wars the exact same thing? Kids discovered that through the movies and the toys too, ultimately if the stories are good people will gravitate towards the books. If the movie is a success with an epic score, the music & sounds of the film could be used in audiobook versions of these potential novels.

Thanks again for taking my question!

When was there a poll where people rejected the MOTU novels?

There has been support for Novels on He-Man org since 2005.

They must not have asked fans.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    When was there a poll where people rejected the MOTU novels?

There has been support for Novels on He-Man org since 2005.

They must not have asked fans.
    It was a huge He-Man.Org poll that anyone could vote in.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Do you have a link to that poll because I have never seen it. I just checked all the poll sub-forums.

Do you have a link to that poll because I have never seen it. I just checked all the poll sub-forums.
    It was one of the big main page polls we've done. I can't remember if it was two or three years ago. But it's the same polls when we do the big Classics preference roster for who fans want to see next. We try to take the time to ask other popular questions.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Here’s the link to the poll results.
    Scroll down for the results re: the question about novels:

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...-amp-A-results

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    It’s like how Rob said, those novels kept Star Wars going for a decade! And in the last two decades they’ve continued to pump out quality stories.

MOTU lends itself perfectly to this aswell, a proper origin story of Skeletor for example... I know it’s been done in the comics, but in a novel the writer can tell such an elaborate story! There are countless possibilities and in novels you can also take a significantly darker tone. We might never get a dark and gritty imagination of MOTU on the small or big screen, but we certainly could in book form as we already did in the comics!

Penny made a good point about the visual aspect of MOTU and how important that is for our fanbase, but isn’t Star Wars the exact same thing? Kids discovered that through the movies and the toys too, ultimately if the stories are good people will gravitate towards the books. If the movie is a success with an epic score, the music & sounds of the film could be used in audiobook versions of these potential novels.

Thanks again for taking my question!
    Great voicemail Razzerian, and thank you for calling in.

Good point re: Star Wars also starting as a visual brand too.

I am honestly quite disappointed that many MOTU fans aren’t ravenous for novels, particularly given the fact that the brand itself is an amalgam of pretty much every sub-genre of speculative fiction.

As disappointed as I was with those results, I have to admit that I suspected it would happen. Visual art is very much a focus in MOTU fan discussions, and I think story comes second (if at all) for a lot of fans. Maybe it’s because everyone has their own “head canon”, like I mentioned on the podcast. The older the fanbase gets, the more that canon becomes set in stone. Anything new is perceived as a challenge to one's personal vision.

Either that, or people just hate reading.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; October 8, 2019 at 01:53pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I remember this, and I remember being surprised by the amount of folks who were not interested.

Mainly, it surprised me because some people on this board have talked about buying multiple MOTU figures that they absolutely hated just to complete their collection. I assumed they were All-In collectors.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; October 8, 2019 at 11:57am.
    Odd Man Out

I get the sense there's a growing appetite for it. The way Mattel has been strongly hinting that there are many MOTU products being developed with a big push for 2020-21, if their strategy pays off and the show/movie/toys are a hit, bringing a whole new, younger generation into the fold, I think you'll start seeing MOTU novels. They would be a great opportunity to flesh out the epic story that's slowly unfolded over various forms of media spanning decades. The bios are only a small taste of what there is to be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Here’s the link to the poll results.
    Scroll down for the results re: the question about novels:

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...-amp-A-results
    A poll buried within another poll is not really an accurate representation of all MOTU fans. That poll is ONLY representative of a small subset fans who were actively collecting Classics figures at the time the poll was given.

I went ahead and created another poll to see where things really stand. This poll will also remain open for years so opinions can shift and change.

Please vote:

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...Y-a-MOTU-novel