Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 4 is coming November 5th -- Click here for teaser trailer and more!

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    "Just announced on prism by @Netflix! Meet @JacobTobia - the voice of Double Trouble!" (VIDEO AT THE LINK)

Announcement on Twitter

--------------------

EW: She-Ra welcomes its first non-binary character — get a first look at Jacob Tobia as Double Trouble

Entertainment Weekly Article
    I had to think of Imans character Martia from Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country

She is also a shapeshifter but she seems to identify as female. In Double Troubles case we donīt know if Double Trouble is Female or Male since Double Trouble is not identifying with one or the other. Interesting concept. Asking a lot of its viewers tough. And poor parents who have to explain that to children.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

So weird, I absolutely love the new series - I absolutely love the original too. I feel like a lot of people are putting words in Melendy's mouth without attributing their source - it would be nice if people could post links to all these things. I hear people complaining that the original showed the opressive and evil nature of the Horde more - I guess I agree, it was written more Rebel = unquestionably noble, Horde = straight up evil (though there are a couple of exceptions to this in the form of guest Horde characters turning out to be not that bad). I dig that Catra in this version is more of a grey area - I mean I am totally unsympathetic to her, she has made some incredibly, globally-destructive decisions to forward her own personal vendettas and agendas - to me that's about as evil as a person can get. There's the Horde evil right there.

Avatar: the Last Airbender is at times totally grey but always brilliant; those of you whose kids don't understand the grey area I encourage you to talk to them about it, discuss why what they do is bad or good - that's what matters at the end of the day - and who knows it might help prepare them for evil IRL (which seldom shows up with literal fangs and sucker hands)

I'm intrigued to see Double Trouble - a shapeshifter being non-binary seems to make perfect sense when you think about it, they can literally transform into whatever gender they feel like from moment to moment. Loved Martia from The Undiscovered Country - don't know if double trouble can live up to Iman though
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Moon View Post
    I'm intrigued to see Double Trouble - a shapeshifter being non-binary seems to make perfect sense when you think about it, they can literally transform into whatever gender they feel like from moment to moment. Loved Martia from The Undiscovered Country - don't know if double trouble can live up to Iman though
    Name seems kind of dumb/forced for this character though. It's a very different concept from the original Double Trouble (that had two personalities)...why not just make this a new character?

Also, I agree. It makes perfect sense that a shapeshifter (at least one like this) would not necessarily consider themselves strictly male or female.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    To me Netflix She-Ra is a reimagning rather than an adaptation, taking the base elements of the mythos and telling it's own story with it, wich is why I don't really have a problem with it straying from the source material.
    But since it's based on the original, the comparisons are inevitable. And often not in favour of the new show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arek Brimstone View Post
    why not just make this a new character?
    Why not make it its own show in the first place? It's very loosely based on OG She-Ra just like its characters.
    Last edited by Chris85; October 22, 2019 at 08:13pm.

Widget
    So tounge lashor doesn't have his tounge power, and now double trouble doesn't have a split personality (instead getting the very generic shapeshifting power.)
    Creativity is not this cartoon's strong point.

- - - Updated - - -Why not make it its own show in the first place? It's very loosely based on OG She-Ra just like its characters.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I feel like the show incorporates a lot of the original show but takes it in it's own direction. Tung Lashor didn't have his extendable tongue but his whip was tongue shaped which was enough of a nod for me (I LOVED him as kid) and people harping on about how the runestones are steven universe territory - Brightmoon was protected by a moonstone powered by Etheria's moons in the original, the First Ones are mentioned. There's a lot of the original mythology at play and in many cases it makes more sense than it did in the original series (continuity was never its strong suit IMO)

A lot of oldschool fans seem to want the same exact show but with new episodes - everyone knows that wouldn't fly with today's audience (looking forward to how the MOTU show does it's thing, I personally don't think it's going to have an identical tone to the original but maybe they'll prove me wrong on all counts) the differences to the original as much as the similarities to it are what I find exciting about the new show.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Heroic Warrior
    I find it interesting that Noelle and the rest of the creatives behind Princesses of Power chose to take a female character, Double Trouble, and reinterpret said character as being 'male' non-binary, essentially pulling a 'reverse gender-swap'.

Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    I find it interesting that Noelle and the rest of the creatives behind Princesses of Power chose to take a female character, Double Trouble, and reinterpret said character as being 'male' non-binary, essentially pulling a 'reverse gender-swap'.
    I think you might need to do a little more research into what non-binary gender identification is...

SEASON 4 TRAILER & INTERVIEW AT THE LINK!!!

EW: She-ra showrunner Noelle Stevenson breaks down the epic season 4 trailer

Click here!
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Totally Dyslexic
    I think you might need to do a little more research into what non-binary gender identification is...
    What do you mean by that?

I certainly will not speak for DigificWriter, iīm sure he can speak for himself but your remark confused me.

As far as i know his depiction of this new Double Trouble version is correct.

The voice actor is clearly a born male person called Jacob and in the interview Jacob Tobia declares themselves as non-binary just like Double Trouble is declared. But Jacob Tobia doesīt seem to be hermaphrodite or he would said that and Double Trouble isnīt declared as such either.

What am i missing here?
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Hurricane Hordak
    Lord Hordak

Season 4 Trailer | SHE-RA AND THE PRINCESSES OF POWER

"After Queen Angella's heroic sacrifice, it's Glimmer's time to take the throne. But her reign as Queen begins during the most chaotic time in Etheria. With Horde Prime's arrival looming, the princesses begin to lose grip and a secret weapon falls into Catra's lap. The war wages on in the all new season of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, coming to Netflix November 5!"

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Totally Dyslexic

"After Queen Angella's heroic sacrifice, it's Glimmer's time to take the throne. But her reign as Queen begins during the most chaotic time in Etheria. With Horde Prime's arrival looming, the princesses begin to lose grip and a secret weapon falls into Catra's lap. The war wages on in the all new season of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, coming to Netflix November 5!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juIipTTY1Vo
    At 1:13 in this clip there is a new character and itīs either

Flutterina or Sweet Bee

if you ask me.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    What do you mean by that?

I certainly will not speak for DigificWriter, iīm sure he can speak for himself but your remark confused me.

As far as i know his depiction of this new Double Trouble version is correct.

The voice actor is clearly a born male person called Jacob and in the interview Jacob Tobia declares themselves as non-binary just like Double Trouble is declared. But Jacob Tobia doesīt seem to be hermaphrodite or he would said that and Double Trouble isnīt declared as such either.

What am i missing here?
    DigificWriter is making presumptions about the sex of the character based on their gender. The character could be male, female, intersex, or an altogether different sex that is unique to Etheria and still be non-binary.

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    DigificWriter is making presumptions about the sex of the character based on their gender. The character could be male, female, intersex, or an altogether different sex that is unique to Etheria and still be non-binary.
    Not sure about that. Double Trouble must be either male or female since itīs called non-binary. Not one or the other. Something completely different would have a different declaration. And donīt ask me what declaration that would be...iīm far from an expert in this matter.

Iīm a gay man who fell in love with another gay man and thatīs why we share a gay relationship - pretty simply.

Double Trouble is voiced by a male voice no matter what the owner of this voice declares themselves. Thatīs simply a fact. So i think itīs pretty easy to assume the character is a born male character because if he wereīt why would you give him a male voice and not a female voice.

As is said that casting is a super interesting thing to discuss and think about. But very hard to explain for children and teenager if you ask me.

Children and teenagers can probably wrap their heads around this sort of thing and accept it easier than most adults, LOL.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Not sure about that. Double Trouble must be either male or female since itīs called non-binary. Not one or the other. Something completely different would have a different declaration. And donīt ask me what declaration that would be...iīm far from an expert in this matter.

Iīm a gay man who fell in love with another gay man and thatīs why we share a gay relationship - pretty simply.

Double Trouble is voiced by a male voice no matter what the owner of this voice declares themselves. Thatīs simply a fact. So i think itīs pretty easy to assume the character is a born male character because if he wereīt why would you give him a male voice and not a female voice.

As is said that casting is a super interesting thing to discuss and think about. But very hard to explain for children and teenager if you ask me.
    Think of non-binary as a rejection of the binary. A person can have any kind of body and reject binary notions of gender. It literally tells us nothing about the sex of that person whatsoever. Only that they do not subscribe to the man/woman paradigm.

Widget
    The sex of the voice actor doesn't mean anything.
    Bart simpson is voiced by a woman, but clearly his character is a male.
    That's why it's called acting.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    When I read to my kids at night I act out all the voices. As my kids have gotten older I have heard them say to my wife (when she is attempting to act out the girl character voices), “that doesn’t sound right - we want dad to read this”.

I’m more of an over the top voice actor lover though so most current animated voices seem really bland and uninspired. People just talking doesn’t make a character in my opinion.

The gender of the voice actor should have no determination on the character itself though.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Totally Dyslexic
    Yes, i agree. The most fitting voice should be used for a character no matter what gender age or race the voice actor is. Itīs all about the sound and the talent.

Maybe they can add another non-binary character to have a love interest for Double Trouble since this show is notorious for itīs "shipping" i hope itīs Mantenna or Leech. Now that would be fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juIipTTY1Vo
    Oooo, Hordak has his arm cannon. Based on the animation it looks to be similar to the tactigon
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    I put the term 'male' in quotations because while Jacob identifies as non-binary and uses associated pronouns, they are also masculine-presenting in their dress and speech, which consequently makes Double Trouble masculine-presenting/oriented as well, constituting, as I noted, a sort of 'reverse gender swap' while simultaneously offering non-binary representation.

I was not misgendering or casting aspersions upon Jacob Tobia or the character of Double Trouble; I was simply noting that, by casting a voice actor who identifies as non-binary but speaks in a more masculine timbre, Noelle and those involved with She-Ra had taken a female character and somewhat swapped their gender.
    Last edited by DigificWriter; October 24, 2019 at 09:32pm.

Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    I put the term 'male' in quotations because while Jacob identifies as non-binary and uses associated pronouns, they are also masculine-presenting in their dress and speech, which consequently makes Double Trouble masculine-presenting/oriented as well, constituting, as I noted, a sort of 'reverse gender swap' while simultaneously offering non-binary representation.

I was not misgendering or casting aspersions upon Jacob Tobia or the character of Double Trouble; I was simply noting that, by casting a voice actor who identifies as non-binary but speaks in a more masculine timbre, Noelle and those involved with She-Ra had taken a female character and somewhat swapped their gender.
    Sorry then I misunderstood your initial post.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Love the new trailer, looking forward to Season 4.
    PS4 contact: Petruk1976
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...edback-Thread!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    The sex of the voice actor doesn't mean anything.
    Bart simpson is voiced by a woman, but clearly his character is a male.
    That's why it's called acting.
    There's no "sex/gender" voice acting there. The voice sounds entirely male. No room whatsoever for any kind of doubt about this. It's not like this voice actor speaks (or looks, either) anywhere near androgynously. He has a totally, unmistakably male-sounding voice. And he looks unmistakably like a male too (only dressed in drag). So, regardless of what he chooses to call or think of himself, the objective fact is he sounds and looks 100% male without question, and clearly doesn't use any hormone treatment or anything to change, alter, or mask that. No one would seriously have the least question about his DNA featuring an XY chromosome configuration. I've seen many other people who do sound and/or look far more non-binarily, gray-area, androginously I-can't-really-tell-what-"they"-are (and yes, there are real people who do actually have non-binary genetic make-ups, such as XXY, that cause them to look and feel androgynous) than this 100%-clearly-a-guy (not a girl, nor a hermaphrodite, nor anywhere near androgynous). So I really don't get the point of choosing a clearly male-sounding voice for a character that's supposed to be so sex/gender-ambiguous as to address "themself" as "they".
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog