Thread: SYFY WIRE: "She-Ra Showrunner Pushes For He-Man Crossover Christmas Special At NYCC"

SYFY WIRE: "She-Ra Showrunner Pushes For He-Man Crossover Christmas Special At NYCC"

"No joke, I worked with Kevin on The Goldbergs for a couple years, and I shamelessly texted him when it was announced he was doing He-Man," Michalka said. "I was like, 'Hey, Kevin. I hope you're well. I heard you were doing He-Man, and I just wanted to let you know that me and the She-Ra girls are ready for a crossover whenever you are. And he was like, 'I'm gonna consider this.'" - AJ Michalka

Read more on SYFY WIRE's website

Watch the video on SYFY's Facebook page
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    It wouldn't work. Not only because of the incompatible canons and styles. But because it appears Kevin pitched his series precisely as a reaction against Noelle, thinking he "knows better" and making a big fanfare of stating that his take will "stay true, really true to the source", implying and painting Noelle's take as an abhorrent "heresy".

That was the crystal clear impression I got from the presentation he did at PowerCon, from the way he phrased things and the way he behaved there. So I can't say I got the most positive impression of this guy, precisely because of that.

He's Noelle's enemy, in a nutshell. So Noelle's offer to him sounded candidly naÔve, or as if she was trying hard not to take offense and offer him the pipe of peace instead, even though she must be perfectly aware Kevin hasn't the slightest intention to even talk to her.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    It wouldn't work. Not only because of the incompatible canons and styles. But because it appears Kevin pitched his series precisely as a reaction against Noelle, thinking he "knows better" and making a big fanfare of stating that his take will "stay true, really true to the source", implying and painting Noelle's take as an abhorrent "heresy".

That was the crystal clear impression I got from the presentation he did at PowerCon, from the way he phrased things and the way he behaved there. So I can't say I got the most positive impression of this guy, precisely because of that.

He's Noelle's enemy, in a nutshell. So Noelle's offer to him sounded candidly naÔve, or as if she was trying hard not to take offense and offer him the pipe of peace instead, even though she must be perfectly aware Kevin hasn't the slightest intention to even talk to her.
    If Kevin really has that attitude, I'm kind of disapointed in him, I never thought he was that spiteful.

That being said I doubt the crossover would tonely or coninuity wise. I would be fine if Dreamworks She-Ra had a one off special that introduced it's own version of He-Man and for Kev to introduce his take on Filmation She-Ra in Revelation. But these to iterations of the franchise should stay away from each other because they are to fundimentaly diferent. Ones made to apeal to a generations past the original fanbase, while the other is being made soely for the original fanbase.

As for the old school fans, I think it's cool that they have somthing like Revelation, I just hope for their sake that is dosn't end up being another Digimon Adventure Tri, situation.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    If Kevin really has that attitude, I'm kind of disapointed in him, I never thought he was that spiteful.
    I mean, he wasn't explicitly spiteful and didn't mention She-Ra by name. But when there is an ongoing coordinated campaign all over the internet by some types of people that have been very publicly and vocally denigrating Noelle's currently airing new take on She-Ra, to stage a panel going exaggeratedly hyperbolic in stressing the point that his take is going to be "true to the source" and "what the fans really wanted", can only be interpreted to mean that the other, rival, currently airing show is anything but and basically a disgrace and a wrong that he comes to undo and repair as if he were the champion and savior of MotU's "true essence". I was absolutely disgusted by his words and attitude in that panel. Not by their literality (his speech was full of nice sounding words and promises), but by their clear (even if unstated) implications in the current context as regards Noelle and her team's work.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; October 8, 2019 at 12:59pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

It sounds he's exploitng the fan divide, for his own benefit.

That will do more harm than good in my opinion, since it will alienate any potential new fans of MoTU who might be getting into the franchise through Netflix She-Ra. If you'le pardon my language, it sends a messege that pretty much "says **** off, we don't want you in our fandom".

Wich is the last thing MoTU needs, given it's track record when it comes to apealing to new fans.
    Last edited by A Dalek; October 8, 2019 at 05:57pm.

Don't we already have one of these?
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Oh, no. Let's cancel him! Who's with meeeeh?!

It sounds he's exploitng the fan divide, for his own benefit.

That will do more harm than good in my opinion, since it will alienate any potential new fans of MoTU who might be getting into the franchise through Netflix She-Ra. If you'le pardon my language, it sends a messege that pretty much "says **** off, we don't want you in our fandom".

Wich is the last thing MoTU needs, given it's track record when it comes to apealing to new fans.
    Yeah, we must embrace new fans who happen to have sexual fantasies about UNDERAGE CHARACTERS and project their degeneracy onto those who dislike the show. Just harmless shipping. #Catradora, woo!
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

I really don't know what the heck some of you guys are talking about. Some of you are definitely reading into things that aren't there.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Oh, no. Let's cancel him! Who's with meeeeh?!

Yeah, we must embrace new fans who happen to have sexual fantasies about UNDERAGE CHARACTERS and project their degeneracy onto those who dislike the show. Just harmless shipping. #Catradora, woo!
    It seems to me like you're the one who's projecting pal. Especialy since you seem generalise anyone one who likes this version of She-Ra, soely so you can dismiss them.

Anyway my point is that MoTU as a franchise has failed misrably when it comes to conection with audiances past it's initial generation of fans. Even when it actualy had a good show like the 02 series.

While Netflix She-Ra dosn't look like a massive sucess to me, it cleary has a decent sized fanbase among the current generation and driving them away, by being openl hostile towards them, will just ensure that franchise remanes a pnchline in the wider pop culture.
    Last edited by A Dalek; October 10, 2019 at 09:43am.

Anyway my point is that MoTU as a franchise has failed misrably when it comes to conection with audiances past it's initial generation of fans. Even when it actualy had a good show like the 02 series.
    It's true.
    In the end, the 200x did not do well at all, unfortunately.

While Netflix She-Ra dosn't look like a massive sucess to me, it cleary has a decent sized fanbase among the current generation
    It definitely does. There's a nice sized fan base for the new She-Ra cartoon.

and driving them away, by being openl hostile towards them, will just ensure that franchise remanes a pnchline in the wider pop culture.
    Not sure that will be the case. It's just a percentage of number of fans who just can't let things go, and that does more to reflect badly on all of us as fans. Why those fans can't simply not watch a show they don't like and move on to something they do enjoy is beyond me.

But She-Ra panels do well at conventions. Even at Power-Con, the new She-Ra creators saw a large turn out of fans at Power-Con who love the new She-Ra and treated the team behind the show with respect. That's far more representative of our fan base.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Well it was just tested one time and was 18 years ago in a total different world.Can't wait to see what happen with MOTU nowadays.

Most kids shows of today would kill for the ratings the 200X show got back then. I have a feeling that the show could be a success if it debuted on Netflix today. Toy sales also do not make or break a show like it did back then.

I don't think these two shows would work well together due to one picking up where the original left off vs. one being totally new canon. Also, the art styles are too different (anime vs. Cal arts style).

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Well it was just tested one time and was 18 years ago in a total different world.Can't wait to see what happen with MOTU nowadays.
    While I that is true, I also think that's part of the problem, Mattel more or less gave up on the idea of trying to gain a new audiance and went the safe easy route of making MoTU purely a nostalgia brand.

I'm fairly certain the only reason Netfix She-Ra got made was because Mattel consider it a seperate brand and that's likley the reason it's conection to the MoTU franchise was downplayed.

Widget
    Nope....Dreamworks female president found out that had production rights to She-Ra and wanted to make more female driven works, found out what characters they could use and with the Dreamworks Netflix deal of having to give Netflix 300 hours of programming slipped it in and turns out it did better than anticipated.

@ 10:47

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Sounds like a joke

If the new DC Comic series goes well, I could see the animated worlds following suit for an episode arc or a one-off movie (a la Secret Of The Sword), some sort of multiverses merging type of scenario where Noelle's She-Ra and Kevin's He-Man intersect for an adventure of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    If the new DC Comic series goes well, I could see the animated worlds following suit for an episode arc or a one-off movie (a la Secret Of The Sword), some sort of multiverses merging type of scenario where Noelle's She-Ra and Kevin's He-Man intersect for an adventure of some sort.
    Now that would be something.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

It could be a crossover similar to the Spider-verse movie of the new Masters of the Multiverse comic with the Netflix She-Ra and He-Man from different universes.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    It will never happen. She just said that to joke. She said from the start He-man wasnt going to be on the show. She is very smart and a good with creating hype and I understand the need to create a show about girls, I understand the feminist concept behind it, I always liked She-Ra better, I always expected it to come back, but Noelle Stevenson is annoying me with how redundant She-Ra and the Princesses of Power has become. Im watching the show fearing it will get cancelled and some questions will never be answered because she doesnt want He-Man to be in it.

I know for a fact that NONE of this is at all accurate.

There are people involved with the new He-Man project who’ve been working to make this happen for a long time.

I regard Kevin Smith as a MOTU/POP fan, who values what the project can be, and is throwing his weight as a producer behind this show.

He’s powerful, and he’s using that power for good. He’s not trying to destroy the She-Ra show, and he said NOTHING at Power Con to indicate anything you’re suggesting.

It’s alarmimg how you’ve stated all of this as though it’s fact, when you know it isn’t.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seabow View Post
    Nope....Dreamworks female president found out that had production rights to She-Ra and wanted to make more female driven works, found out what characters they could use and with the Dreamworks Netflix deal of having to give Netflix 300 hours of programming slipped it in and turns out it did better than anticipated.
    This is also completely made up.

The She-Ra project was in the works at Dreamworks for several years. I know this because of contacts there, but it was all but confirmed at Power Con 4 or 5 years ago, when a male exec from Dreamworks said that Dreamworks was excited about She-Ra, when an attendant asked what was being considered for production.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I know for a fact that NONE of this is at all accurate.

There are people involved with the new He-Man project whoíve been working to make this happen for a long time.

I regard Kevin Smith as a MOTU/POP fan, who values what the project can be, and is throwing his weight as a producer behind this show.

Heís powerful, and heís using that power for good. Heís not trying to destroy the She-Ra show, and he said NOTHING at Power Con to indicate anything youíre suggesting.

Itís alarmimg how youíve stated all of this as though itís fact, when you know it isnít.

- - - Updated - - -

This is also completely made up.

The She-Ra project was in the works at Dreamworks for several years. I know this because of contacts there, but it was all but confirmed at Power Con 4 or 5 years ago, when a male exec from Dreamworks said that Dreamworks was excited about She-Ra, when an attendant asked what was being considered for production.
    Totally agree with this. You quoted so much unsubstantiated nonsense that it barely even warrants a response! People make up these things in their head and then proceed to project them off as the truth. The internet at its worst.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

How did this come together? Who went to whom with the initial idea to reboot She-Ra?

Noelle: DreamWorks acquired the rights to She-Ra a couple years ago, and one of the development executive at DreamWorks, Beth Cannon, had been a huge fan of She-Ra as a kid. Seeing that DreamWorks had the rights to that property, she was really interested in finding someone to develop it. She was a fan of my work, Nimona and Lumberjanes, in the comics realm, and she reached out with an interest in me pitching my take on this series. So I came up with a pitch, I wrote a pilot and the show bible. And, eventually, I became the showrunner and began developing the show for DreamWorks.
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/15/...na-lumberjanes

As a long time follower of Kevin Smthís Podcasts, I can guarantee you when hear him say he will ďstay true, really true to this sourceĒ heís not making an attack on anyone. He is constantly commenting on comic book movies that respect and adhere to what has come before. He believes in fan service and building on what works. His entire career is built on embracing fandom. This is an assurance from him to the fans that heís not stepping in to try and make it his version of He-Man, he wants to follow the template that has worked before. Heís been talking like this looong before the new She-Ra or He-Man cartoons existed. Heís also a huge fan of universe building - he arguably was one of the first to do it in film (inspired by comics). I would imagine if he and the powers that be could make a crossover work they would go for it. His team has a long way to go to just get season 1 out the door, so if it did happen, likely it wouldnít be for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    It’s alarmimg how you’ve stated all of this as though it’s fact, when you know it isn’t.
    It's alarming that you seemingly can't read, as I explicitly said "it appears", "the impression I got", "I can't say that", and similar constructions. That's the exact opposite of "stating all of this as though it's fact". I was stating what I explicitly characterized as my opinion based on my perception, and it's not my fault if English grammar doesn't allow for evidentiality to be expressed with distinct grammatical means rather than with clumsy circumlocutions that inattentive readers like you might not pay due attention to. Plus I am not an insider like you, so I do not know whether what I perceive based on the outsider information I have access to is true or not, it's just my perception and interpretation and I did care to explain in detail the reasons why I perceived and interpreted it that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    As a long time follower of Kevin Smth’s Podcasts, I can guarantee you when hear him say he will “stay true, really true to this source” he’s not making an attack on anyone. He is constantly commenting on comic book movies that respect and adhere to what has come before. He believes in fan service and building on what works. His entire career is built on embracing fandom. This is an assurance from him to the fans that he’s not stepping in to try and make it his version of He-Man, he wants to follow the template that has worked before. He’s been talking like this looong before the new She-Ra or He-Man cartoons existed. He’s also a huge fan of universe building - he arguably was one of the first to do it in film (inspired by comics). I would imagine if he and the powers that be could make a crossover work they would go for it. His team has a long way to go to just get season 1 out the door, so if it did happen, likely it wouldn’t be for quite some time.
    OK, but then he should have been much more careful about how he expressed that, considering the extremely tense current climate surrounding the whole New She-Ra thing and the "not true to the source" claim that the ones trashing New She-Ra have been loudly making. As a public representative for an upcoming new MotU media project, he should have known much better than to use the hotly controversial claim that is being used to attack the other, currently airing MotU media project that his newly announced project will be a competitor with, because then it was too easy for people hearing that to make an unintended connection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    Totally agree with this. You quoted so much unsubstantiated nonsense that it barely even warrants a response! People make up these things in their head and then proceed to project them off as the truth. The internet at its worst.
    Your ad hominem comment shouldn't merit a response, but I won't let such an unwarranted rant against me go answered: First improve your reading comprehension skills, then we might be able to engage in meaningful conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tornadobr View Post
    Im watching the show fearing it will get cancelled and some questions will never be answered because she doesnt want He-Man to be in it.
    The show won't get "cancelled". For the simple reason that it was conceived from the start as a 52-episode series with four 13-episode story arcs. That's the story that Noelle wanted to tell (as she has stated in interviews), and it's already been produced in its entirety, the last animation work for the last episodes being ready since the beginning of this year, as has been public knowledge since a member
    of the production team (Rian Sygh) tweeted that info for everyone to read sometime around February or so.

In other words, the series is done for good already and we're only waiting for the airing of the last batch or batches of episodes (the 13 episodes of the fourth and last story arc, the one centered on Horde Prime, to be released as one or two "seasons" depending on Netflix's whim). Which could actually be airing right now, but Netflix is keeping them in their vault for later purely for marketing/commercial reasons.

That is, if this series ever got episodes beyond the 52 originally planned and already produced, that will be a totally unexpected addition. But so far there hasn't been any indication or clue that such an extension will ever happen. And with the announcement of Kevin's competing new series going in a completely diametrically-opposed direction, it now seems unlikelier than ever. The teased crossover (which feels more like a tongue-in-cheek proposal than anything even remotely possible), if it ever happened (extremely unlikely), would end up being like the original Christmas special: a swan song for an already finished series.

Plus Noelle made it clear the He-Man side of things was never on the table for this series (and that's because of legal licensing issues, not because "she doesn't want to"). So any questions regarding how her take might mesh in with the He-Man lore won't be "left unanswered" in the series, because they were never meant to be "answered". That side of things is simply beyond reach for New She-Ra, so it is as if it didn't exist in this version of the motuverse. And therefore any questions regarding it are moot: there's no He-Man in New She-Ra—it's just She-Ra on her own and in her own terms, like in the early vintage She-Ra minicomics (and just like in that early version, the main antagonistic conflict is that between She-Ra and a Catra that behaves like a villain out of her jealousy at She-Ra).
    Last edited by uaxuctum; December 1, 2019 at 07:54am.