Thread: Proposal: 5.5” Vintage Style Transformers Pretenders from Super7

Heroic Warrior

Proposal: 5.5” Vintage Style Transformers Pretenders from Super7

Pretenders are a somewhat oddball Transformers premise where Transformers use a suit to pose as humans. Hinted at in one of the Bay movies, they are one of the weirder elements of vintage lore.

Meanwhile, I have heard Super7 has a rather broad license to produce non-transforming TFs. They’ve had growing pains doing 5.5” figures but the later waves get rave reviews and I think Pretenders are a perfect fit for several reasons.

1. Pretenders have quasi tech barbarian style proportions.
    2. The standard deluxe Transformer is 5.5” which makes it a decent companion piece.
    3. Original Pretenders had 3 points of articulation in human mode. 6 points is an upgrade.
    4. The character interpretations are too obscure for full on 7 inch ultimate treatment at $45 but might thrive at the $20 price point.
    5. Super7 started doing 5.5” MOTU vintage style figures with swappable heads with Buzzoff. I envision these coming with an alternate head of the iconic characters’ robot modes. The figure can’t transform per the arrangement with Hasbro but the alternate head lets people play with the more iconic form of the character on display.
    6. A number of iconic TFs have established Pretender modes, allowing Super7 to trade on familiar names at first and expand if the line gets traction.

I’ll follow up by posting some of these.

- - - Updated - - -

0lBbJ7d.jpg
    Optimus Prime and Megatron.
    E6C81A12-B9C7-4172-B18F-4CAF15F5A011.jpeg
    Bumblebee.
    CCC3BF64-29B7-48AC-AE18-7BDF64B1A659.jpeg
    Starscream.
    F76A5E32-B420-4228-B766-A5FE99CF539E.jpeg
    Grimlock.

I’d round out an initial wave or 2 with Jazz, Bludgeon, and Octopunch.

I am a HUGE fan of Japanese Transformers, which includes an entire 42 episode series starring Pretenders. I've wanted action figures of Pretenders for a long time. That said, I don't want them in the style of vintage MOTU.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I am a HUGE fan of Japanese Transformers, which includes an entire 42 episode series starring Pretenders. I've wanted action figures of Pretenders for a long time. That said, I don't want them in the style of vintage MOTU.
    Would you want them in the MOTUC style?

My big fear is lack of a market for that at $45 a pop...

I like Pretenders but I'd rather Hasbro Takara to be making them. Super 7 are a terrible company.