View Poll Results: Would you buy a MOTU novel?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 65.08%
  • No

6 9.52%
  • Maybe

13 20.63%
  • Only if it had pictures

3 4.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you BUY a MOTU novel?

Quote Originally Posted by Helenawe View Post
    I have read thousands of fantasy books and enjoy the Felix and Gotrek novels

Last book in the omnibus is Daemonslayer, which is a traditional novel with chapters and a continuous story. I personally like novels instead of short stories.
    "By my axe!" ...... the Gotrek and Felix omnibus 5 has just just been released!
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

I've been collecting the Disney Twisted Tales, Disney Villains, Power Rangers and DC Icons novels and now I've been collecting the Thundercats novels (there are two) and I would love to collect MOTU/POP/NA novels as well as TMNT novels.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    The best He-Man fanfic I've read: https://motubt.weebly.com/

Depends entirely on who wrote it and what the plot was. If it was an "adult" novel it'd take a lot for me to be interested... if it was a novel for kids or possibly a YA novel, I'd be a little more interested... but I'd still want to know who the writer was and what it was about before I decided to spend any money on it.

When it comes to fanfiction, I have a very strict rule of thumb: If Orko's not in it, I'm not interested. This isn't JUST because Orko's my fave character (though he is), but just as much because Orko is kind of a perfect indicator on whether or not the author's take on MOTU is one I can get into. Fanfic authors who drop Orko tend to also drop the parts of MOTU I like; the colourful personalities, the humour, the likeable camp. the tongue-in-cheekiness of it all. What we're left with... tends to be mostly a generic and unmemorable attempt at copying Tolkien or George R. R. Martin, who just tries to be all EPIC and SERIOUS but just ends up boring me. If Orko is present, however, that is a sign that the author might be more interested in the character interaction and the sheer fun of the franchise, than in turning it into an uninspired Game of Thrones ripoff.

It it's a professionally written novel, liscenced by Mattel and everything, then I might check it out even if Orko wasn't in it. Professional writers have different criteria than fanfic writers... though I do think fanfic often gets a bad rap. However, whether I'd actually buy it, or even read more than a few pages, would still heavily depend on the writer and the subject. If it was, say, about the origins of Ninjor or the Preeternian chronicles of He-Ro or the tragic story of Keldor... then it would take a REALLY AMAZING writer for me to be interested, because I don't really care about either of those things in and of themselves. But say the writer had like Neil Gaiman or Terry Prattchett calibre talent; then they could probably turn the subject into something entertaining to read about. Since most writers don't have that kind of talent, though, it's not likely.

And if it was a novelization of those 2012 DC comics... no writer could salvage that mess.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

Frankie Anne DuChene wrote two epic Thundercats fanfiction stories that got published as novels, and I think she would do an amazing job with MOTU and POP.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Frankie Anne DuChene wrote two epic Thundercats fanfiction stories that got published as novels, and I think she would do an amazing job with MOTU and POP.
    Well... if you say so, but I'm afraid the word "epic" already rings warning bells for me. I can count on one hand the times I tried reading a fanfic that was promoted as "epic" and it DIDN'T end up boring me out of my skull...
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Publicly, I won't buy an MOTU novel because I don't read novels.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Heroic Warrior
    Sure, if they gave the task to Jack Olesker here or to Joe Straczynski.
    If it was Dan Abnett or someone new, I'd have to learn by word-of-mouth if it was interesting.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    Depends entirely on who wrote it and what the plot was. If it was an "adult" novel it'd take a lot for me to be interested... if it was a novel for kids or possibly a YA novel, I'd be a little more interested... but I'd still want to know who the writer was and what it was about before I decided to spend any money on it.

When it comes to fanfiction, I have a very strict rule of thumb: If Orko's not in it, I'm not interested. This isn't JUST because Orko's my fave character (though he is), but just as much because Orko is kind of a perfect indicator on whether or not the author's take on MOTU is one I can get into. Fanfic authors who drop Orko tend to also drop the parts of MOTU I like; the colourful personalities, the humour, the likeable camp. the tongue-in-cheekiness of it all. What we're left with... tends to be mostly a generic and unmemorable attempt at copying Tolkien or George R. R. Martin, who just tries to be all EPIC and SERIOUS but just ends up boring me. If Orko is present, however, that is a sign that the author might be more interested in the character interaction and the sheer fun of the franchise, than in turning it into an uninspired Game of Thrones ripoff.

It it's a professionally written novel, liscenced by Mattel and everything, then I might check it out even if Orko wasn't in it. Professional writers have different criteria than fanfic writers... though I do think fanfic often gets a bad rap. However, whether I'd actually buy it, or even read more than a few pages, would still heavily depend on the writer and the subject. If it was, say, about the origins of Ninjor or the Preeternian chronicles of He-Ro or the tragic story of Keldor... then it would take a REALLY AMAZING writer for me to be interested, because I don't really care about either of those things in and of themselves. But say the writer had like Neil Gaiman or Terry Prattchett calibre talent; then they could probably turn the subject into something entertaining to read about. Since most writers don't have that kind of talent, though, it's not likely.

And if it was a novelization of those 2012 DC comics... no writer could salvage that mess.
    This is consistent with my view as well. I would not mind stand-alone adventures in the world of Masters of the Universe or a choose-your-own-adventure story. However, too often with Masters of the Universe, people want to leave their mark on the property, and establish all kinds of questionable ideas as continuity. I am not interested in defining the backstories of every person, place, and thing. The mystery is better, and it does not contradict anything that has already been established. I would rather not have novels, than have "real names" for the characters like we do now, for example.

I would most likely be not interested… like I wouldn’t buy a Spider-Man novel, either.
    With Motu, it’s the art that makes me most excited about it. The comics, paintings, and yes, the figures.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    […] The mystery is better, […]
    Big fan of the mystery, too. Like in early Alcala mini-comics… such a mysterious world!
    I do like the more fleshed out canons like Filmation or later comics and books, too, but in general I love when a few things are left to imagination, and not every aspect defined and explained.

Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    I would if it was written by a decent author and not of the quality that is 99.99999% of fan fiction. If its like fan fiction, it would be like that fan made POC that came out a few years ago on youtube--don't remember what it was called, but some fan made MOTU movie that was just horrible. You'd have to pay me to watch that again.