Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 178 - He-Man & She-Ra and a new generation of fans

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 178 - He-Man & She-Ra and a new generation of fans

Episode 178 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, Nate Baertsch, Daniel Benedict and Rob Base are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they are joined by Dan Brooks from StarWars.com to discuss
    new Joker movie,
    being a He-Man & She-Ra fan after 30+ years,
    He-Man & She-Ra's connection to older fans,
    introducing children to He-Man & She-Ra,
    children sharing He-Man & She-Ra with other children,
    MOTU creators and their view of He-Man & She-Ra,
    different generations,
    lessons from Star Wars for MOTU,
    and much more!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on October 10, 2019
    Runtime: 1 hour, 24 minutes, 49 seconds

Direct link for Episode 178

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Great topic and discussion. I just finished listening to it. I can relate to the parents in the podcast with kids. My son was born in 1999 and daughters born in 2001 and 2003. So they came into the 200x toyline when they were very young, but my older two children were fans of the show and toys at that time. My son is now 20 and is very much like me into geeky things, although we have a few different fandoms but they very much overlap. Like Rob said, I never wanted to force my stuff on them, but when they were born my wife's family bought a lot of Superman and Star Wars stuff for my son (they are all from Queens, maybe it's a New York thing to over-indulge on newborns?). But I kind of let them do their own thing. I did not want to be like Val's dad and force my kids to do my stuff like watch Star Trek or read comics, they did that on their own or just joined me when I did. My daughters are now teenagers and kind of grew out of it since now they are not much into the geeky stuff, although my younger daughter did watch the first season of the Netflix She-Ra.

I also wondered why our generation, Gen X, are more into collecting comics, action figures, etc., than the Baby Boomer generation. But then again, my father-on-law collects miniature trains and builds those tracks with the little people, etc. Is that not similar or the same as collecting action figures?

I also wanted to comment on what Val said about people bashing new stuff: I mostly agree with him, but not 100%. I think that it is OK to state on these here forums and the like if you do not like a new version of She-Ra or MotU or whatever and list the reasons why, but I think that people should NOT state that the new versions should be scrapped, dropped, destroyed, etc. since they don't like them. Not should they bash the people that do like them. If you don't like it, just don't watch it. If it is drawing new fans, then great! It keeps the IP alive! I do not like the Star Wars prequels, but they definitely supported the Star Wars brand and I appreciate them for that. If you do not like the new Netflix She-Ra, state why you don't like it, but just don't bash those that do like it or that it needs to end. It is not "ruining" She-Ra since the original version you like still exists. And that version may not be viable anymore in today's world. It is what it is.

Anyway, great podcast y'all.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

This episode reminds me of the time when I tried to show my daughter (now 15) Star Wars when she was about 6. She made it to the point where the Falcon was being brought into the Death Star. She said to me, “ Dad, you know how’s there’s boy stuff and girl stuff? This is a lot of boy stuff.” and promptly got off the sofa and went and played in her room.

She wouldn’t go near Star Wars until the Force Awakens a few years ago. But, now she love it. Doesn’t really care about the old movies but digs the current ones.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I think that it is OK to state on these here forums and the like if you do not like a new version of She-Ra or MotU or whatever and list the reasons why
    And I agree with that. It's the hateful, vitriolic remarks I was referring to. That does very little to help. But constructive feedback can be beneficial.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    And I agree with that. It's the hateful, vitriolic remarks I was referring to. That does very little to help. But constructive feedback can be beneficial.
    Agreed. The new she-ra has really grown on me...to the point of wanting the Mattel dolls. I, however can not at this point buy them. I feel beyond weird being a 38 year old male wanting them. Oh well, itís my issue, I need to deal with it.I keep hoping my son will want them but he wants them as figures.

Hey Val, are there any shadow weaver/ she-ra sets left for sale?

Oh, and joker. Perfection. One of the best movies Iíve seen.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Agreed. The new she-ra has really grown on me...to the point of wanting the Mattel dolls. I, however can not at this point buy them. I feel beyond weird being a 38 year old male wanting them. Oh well, it’s my issue, I need to deal with it.I keep hoping my son will want them but he wants them as figures.

Hey Val, are there any shadow weaver/ she-ra sets left for sale?

Oh, and joker. Perfection. One of the best movies I’ve seen.
    Yes, there are still some on the Power-Con Customer Service sale. That ends October 27th, after which any remaining are sold off to resellers.