Thread: Pixel Dan reviews the "Statue Wave" of Retro 5.5" MOTU figures from Super7

Pixel Dan reviews the "Statue Wave" of Retro 5.5" MOTU figures from Super7

Pixel Dan is back with a review of what he calls the "statue wave" of retro 5.5" MOTU figures from Super7! In the review, Dan looks at ice statue Teela, crystal statue Man-At-Arms and gold statue He-Man.

I think that the figures are pretty cool, especially Man-At-Arms! But I'm not very happy to see some laziness in the back of the packaging: Simple screenshots from the cartoon for me are too poor, the other figures have beautiful new artwork. And also the "twist waist, power punch" drawing is the same of the corresponding original figures... I think that a different colored version, ice-blue, gold and crystal, would have been better!

Serving the Universe DennyCrane's Avatar
    The cartoon shots tie it all together, so I think they made the right call--though the image captures could have been better. I don't know. Doesn't bother me too bad. I like those "faux comics". Are they the exact same as the regular versions? Speaking of geeking out, Teela might make a decent Victorian Era Snow Queen for the Doctor Who 5-inch line. Don't think that figure's been done.
    Shop DC Collectibles for Pop Culture Entertainment -
    Hot Toys, Action Figures, Game & Hobby, Comic Book, Retro / Vintage & More!
    http://DCCollect.com • #24Tuesday • Free Shipping • More!

Get Social for the latest news and reviews, product updates and sale announcements:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Pinterest

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    I like those "faux comics". Are they the exact same as the regular versions?
    Sadly they are bigger.

I never understood why S7 changed things like this or to take an other example: the form of the plastic bubbles.

The nostalgia does not work on me with this toyline because my eyes are automatically hurted by all the details not correctly matching with the "Mattel mind from '80".

To explain what I mean about bubbles: To stay logic if Mattel had produced Filmation's figures it would have been around years 83/84, at this time Mattel was using the same bubble form for all characters, just take a look at Orko and Prince Adam (Mattel/Filmation's) as example from the year 84.
    I don't count the second king of bubble coming with Fisto, Jitsu, Clawful, Webstor etc because the form is exactly the same excepting a change at a side.
    The first new form of bubble comes with Two-Bad because the figure was larger than other figures, it was from year 85.
    So, when I am looking at the S7 figures, so many bubble forms are just hurting me and I do not understand why they changed the original design (I am speaking only for regular size characters as He-Man, Skeletor, Adam, Stratos etc etc).
    I would have liked to see She-Ra inside a regular "Mattel form" and an inner plastic part as the vintage Mattel Teela/Evil-Lyn/Orko had, the bubble form used by S7 for She-Ra is at my eyes just ridiculous.

Same as for the "faux comic" size.... hurting me.
    Yellow Burst not matching with the burst styles made by Mattel '80 (which were more aesthetic) and used only for few characters as BA He-Man/Skeletor, MEW, Orko.... the choice is hurting me again.

About the figures: proportions are not respected as for Eldor, Shadow Weaver, Three terrors (their heads), Mattel was taking care about that....hurting me.
    Absence of special features...hurting me.
    Absence of the large Horde logo on the Shadow Weaver card... hurting me.

A too large designed He-Ro staff to include special feature inside and finally abandoning the original plan to sell the figure with an unworking weapon mechanism...
    I would have prefered to get a staff closer to the original Mattel '87 prototype one than a too big accessory that does not close even because of an unusable mechanism... hurting me again.
    Again about He-Ro (and Eldor) inside the bubble the "skull mouth" cover of the mini booklet is not correctly aligned with the background skull on the card...hurting me again, Mattel by the past was again taking really care about that, just take a look at the first He-Man New adventures figures coming with the reversed comic books.

I am so sorry that S7 lost the possibility to continue their vintage line, even if I find a lot of defects I would have really liked to see new other figures coming, but I have to be honest as an absolute fan of what Mattel did and made during '80, all the vintage details/design/logic not respected are simply disappointed me.

I have now idea about the real capacities of S7, but I am pretty sure that They could push the details at their maximum to get a perfect match with the vintage toyline and create by this way a real illusion to meticulous collectors.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; October 24, 2019 at 08:57pm.

Heroic Warrior
    @ TOKYONEVER
    All that said, you have no issue with the Super 7 logo in the bottom right corner instead of the Mattel logo then? I’m curious because to me, this change is much more obvious to me than the bubbles. I understand why it was changed but it still sticks out like a sore thumb. No matter what, I don’t think these were ever going to be an exact match for what Mattel made in the early 80s. Even the upper right corner of the cards says either, “Adult Collector” or “Ages 14+”.
    Last edited by whakojacko; October 25, 2019 at 09:54am.

Absence of the Horde logo on Evil Horde figures is hurting me too!
    Why, I'm asking?

Quote Originally Posted by whakojacko View Post
    @ TOKYONEVER
    All that said, you have no issue with the Super 7 logo in the bottom right corner instead of the Mattel logo then? I’m curious because to me, this change is much more obvious to me than the bubbles. I understand why it was changed but it still sticks out like a sore thumb. No matter what, I don’t think these were ever going to be an exact match for what Mattel made in the early 80s. Even the upper right corner of the cards says either, “Adult Collector” or “Ages 14+”.
    Totally true about the Super7 logo and as You I understand why it is was not possible to get the real Mattel one.
    About this logo, on the front cards I would have prefered to see it at the left bottom of the bubbles as the vintage ones.
    Maybe that the goal of Super7 was to get a different way but they just lost a part of the meticulous collectors and we are a large number.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; October 25, 2019 at 10:38am.

Serving the Universe DennyCrane's Avatar
    My guess is that Super7 wanted to distance themselves from the Mattel products just enough to avoid confusion with the real vintage. Even Mattel does tbat to some degree when doing reissues. Kenner (Hasbro) too. Plus there's that whole thing with trying to avoid looking like a counterfeit. Plenty of those out there--just ask NECA. Speaking of, it might've at least been a nice "nod" to Mattel to mimic their logo. But then again, they might not have been allowed, since Mattel is still around while Kenner was bought by Hasbro.
    Shop DC Collectibles for Pop Culture Entertainment -
    Hot Toys, Action Figures, Game & Hobby, Comic Book, Retro / Vintage & More!
    http://DCCollect.com • #24Tuesday • Free Shipping • More!

Get Social for the latest news and reviews, product updates and sale announcements:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Pinterest

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    I definitely like Super7’s 5.5” line. I look at Super7 as sort of a fan made product though. Not slamming them, not even commenting on quality. Buying from them is like buying a fan produced run on something. Similar in my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiEternia He-Man View Post
    I definitely like Super7’s 5.5” line. I look at Super7 as sort of a fan made product though. Not slamming them, not even commenting on quality. Buying from them is like buying a fan produced run on something. Similar in my opinion anyway.
    and I'm totally cool with that.
    MOTUC has always been and more and more will be a very much fan driven line, depending solely on avid fans, I think Super7 is the best when it comes to deliver everything fanatic or understanding exactly every nerd fan dream and needs for their collection. Negative side: these are made to product in few quantities and may subject to QC, plus delays are a bit annoying but understandable since they're not a corporation.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"