Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action Force Kickstarter (6" G.I. Joe-like Line)

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar

Action Force Kickstarter (6" G.I. Joe-like Line)

Thought some folks around here may be interested in this. I just stumbled onto it yesterday, which was the kickstarters first day.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...se/description

As much as it intriguing for G.I.Joe to be made on 6inches scale (I got the unofficial snake eyes for myself) and for me to be displaying it along my other 6 and 7 inches action figures collection.....the joes seems iconic in 3-3/4 inches scale like motu on 5.5 inches scale.

But I hope for those who wants these scale for the joe likes figures for it to becone a reality thru this kickstarter effort.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

These look awesome. I am really interested in backing this Kickstarter.
    Although I would prefer some official Hasbro 6'' G.I. Joes made the in the same scale and style as their Star Wars Black Series or Marvel Legends figures.

Master of New Adventures!
    Of course it's just my opinion, but I think it's unfair that Kickstarter has things set up so funding doesn't take place unless 100% of the goal is reached. To my way of thinking, if a creator reaches even half of their goal and can fulfill the rewards, it would help them and also the donors, no?

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    As much as it intriguing for G.I.Joe to be made on 6inches scale (I got the unofficial snake eyes for myself) and for me to be displaying it along my other 6 and 7 inches action figures collection.....the joes seems iconic in 3-3/4 inches scale like motu on 5.5 inches scale.

But I hope for those who wants these scale for the joe likes figures for it to becone a reality thru this kickstarter effort.

I love Joes at the 3-3/4" or 4" scale; I have tons of them and appreciate the arguments for that scale (vehicles and space). However, I feel like that avenue has been pretty thoroughly explored over the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Although I would prefer some official Hasbro 6'' G.I. Joes made the in the same scale and style as their Star Wars Black Series or Marvel Legends figures.
    Me too Mark! I've just got to decide at what level...

I would love some official 6" Joes as well. I really feel (and have for a while now) like that could be something that would breathe life back into the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Of course it's just my opinion, but I think it's unfair that Kickstarter has things set up so funding doesn't take place unless 100% of the goal is reached. To my way of thinking, if a creator reaches even half of their goal and can fulfill the rewards, it would help them and also the donors, no?
    I'm sure there are some pros and cons, but it kind of makes sense to me. I don't have a lot of kickstarter knowledge at all, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think creators tend to put their "goal" more on the bare minimum end of the spectrum anyway. Taking that approach, the project can vary anywhere between "bare minimum" and "the sky's the limit" with stretch goals. As a backer, I don't think I'd feel all that great about a creator using my money if they only got half the money they said they'd need to make the project come to fruition. And even if a decent project fails, there's nothing to prevent them from trying again. This kickstarter, for instance, failed the first time. Instead of pushing forward with a less-than-hoped for initial attempt, a completely new second effort allowed them to reassess, better their product and marketing, and present a stronger project this time around. I think that will ultimately end up being a win for everyone involved.

And I don't know whether this is true or not, but according to kickstarter, of all the projects that reach 60% of their goal, 98% ultimately get funded.
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; October 21, 2019 at 10:57am.

If a campaign only needs half its goal to meet its minimum financial requirements for production, then they probably set their goal 50% too high...

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Me too Mark! I've just got to decide at what level...

I would love some official 6" Joes as well. I really feel (and have for a while now) like that could be something that would breathe life back into the brand.
    I liked the 3.75" figures growing up. Still have two of my originals fully complete. Snake Eyes V2 and Storm Shadow V2. Sadly I sold the vast majority of all my childhood toys, only kept a few.
    Maybe Hasbro will release some official 6" figures for the Snake Eyes solo movie.

Heroic Warrior
    The other big crowdfunding site, Indiegogo, doesn't require a goal to be met in order to secure funding. So there's always that option.

I liked the 3.75" figures growing up. Still have two of my originals fully complete. Snake Eyes V2 and Storm Shadow V2. Sadly I sold the vast majority of all my childhood toys, only kept a few.
    Maybe Hasbro will release some official 6" figures for the Snake Eyes solo movie.
    I hate to say it, but the new Snake Eyes movie sounds terrible to me (perhaps even worse than the previous two G.I. Joe movies). Hopefully we can at least get some good unrelated-to-the-movie figures out of the deal like we did with the last two movies. If they're 6", all the better! But even if they stuck to the 1:18 scale, I'd take a good Hard Master, Soft Master, and Junko Akita if they were passable for comic accurate (which they probably wouldn't be....*cough*Blind Master*cough*).

I hate to say it, but the new Snake Eyes movie sounds terrible to me (perhaps even worse than the previous two G.I. Joe movies). Hopefully we can at least get some good unrelated-to-the-movie figures out of the deal like we did with the last two movies. If they're 6", all the better! But even if they stuck to the 1:18 scale, I'd take a good Hard Master, Soft Master, and Junko Akita if they were passable for comic accurate (which they probably wouldn't be....*cough*Blind Master*cough*).
    I had near 2000 of 3.75" figures, vintage, 2003 and the 25th anniversary/movie figures. I liked them but 6" is my favourite figure size. Same with Star Wars and Marvel Legends. The Snake Eyes movie might be good. I wasn't too keen on the idea of the Bumblebee movie but it turned out, at least in my opinion, to be the best live action Transformers movie.
    I would love to army build some 6" Vipers and Red Shadows.

Thanks for posting this! I think I may go for this since I have wanted a 6 inch Joe line since StarWars figures started to be made in that scale. Speaking of Gi-Joe--is that brand dead now or what (haven't seen any new stuff in years)?

These look really good overall. The accessories look awesome.

I wish though they had made one of the Troopers available in the initial offering. In reality, doing the Trooper variants first and making the other 3 as stretch goals would have made even more sense. The Troopers have army building possibilities which means more sales. This is really a no-brainer. Spend the start up money on the costs for the army builders. The multiple buys alone from Troopers could fund the next few stretch goals.

I like the initial 3 but I really don't need multiples of them. So that's a 3 figure pledge from me. Put the Troopers up first, and you have a 3 figure initial pledge plus possibly another 4 to 10 figures more of various Troopers just from me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would army build. That's a lot of extra sales they are leaving on the table to start this drive. Doing it the way they are, they'll need much more different backers to meet their goals. Doing Troopers first, would bump up the money faster and make the stretch goals met quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I think I may go for this since I have wanted a 6 inch Joe line since StarWars figures started to be made in that scale. Speaking of Gi-Joe--is that brand dead now or what (haven't seen any new stuff in years)?
    Pretty much. The movie merchandise for both movies pretty much killed it.
    Hopefully though with the new Snake Eyes movie coming there will be some new merchandise...especially 6" figures.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    The last retail line they had were Toys R Us exclusives. I think 2016 was the last year. The G.I. Joe Club Figure Subscription Service just ended in 2018 I believe, maybe even more recent than that. They have some really cool figures, but they're obscenely expensive (relative to retail). And there have been Convention exclusives which, again, are usually crazy expensive.

Like Mark said, I figure they're waiting for the movie before they try to go back to retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    These look really good overall. The accessories look awesome.

I wish though they had made one of the Troopers available in the initial offering. In reality, doing the Trooper variants first and making the other 3 as stretch goals would have made even more sense. The Troopers have army building possibilities which means more sales. This is really a no-brainer. Spend the start up money on the costs for the army builders. The multiple buys alone from Troopers could fund the next few stretch goals.

I like the initial 3 but I really don't need multiples of them. So that's a 3 figure pledge from me. Put the Troopers up first, and you have a 3 figure initial pledge plus possibly another 4 to 10 figures more of various Troopers just from me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would army build. That's a lot of extra sales they are leaving on the table to start this drive. Doing it the way they are, they'll need much more different backers to meet their goals. Doing Troopers first, would bump up the money faster and make the stretch goals met quicker.
    I agree with you to an extent, but I don't think you'd every get a scenario that made everyone happy. A lot of people where unhappy that Eclipse wasn't in the initial 3, so much so that the creator moved her up in the stretch goals a little.

In my opinion, it depends which troopers you're talking about. I actually have NO interest in troop building the add on trooper guys. I may get one urban and one special ops just for some diversity, but that's it. I probably wouldn't get the other generic troopers even if they unlock. The ones I would want to build are the Steel Brigade, the Female Steel Brigade, the Swarm Trooper, the Swarm Trooper v2, and the Garrison Trooper. Why most of those are so far down in the stretch goals, I absolutely don't understand.

I think the creator did the stretch goal order off of a poll on what order the audience wanted each character. I can appreciate trying to give the people what they want, but I think there is a slightly flawed logic to this approach. Yes, if I had to pick between them I would want 1 Eclipse before 1 Garrison Trooper. However, the fact of the matter is I want both of them and I'd probably get multiple Garrison Troopers (if given the option) and only one Eclipse. So obviously, from a raising money perspective, the Garrison Trooper would be better. But then again, I do think it's important to have a few unique characters sprinkled in there too. If I would have chosen 3 for the initial, it probably would have been Swarm Trooper, Steel Brigade, and Eclipse.

Personally, if the kickstarter got to the point where Eclipse unlocks, I think I'd be happy. I could get 4 unique characters and 3 of two different troop builders. I assume if it did that well, the creator would probably go back to the well again eventually and do the ones that weren't unlocked this time.

Edit:

Why do you not see the Steel Brigade as an army builder, BoneHead?
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; October 23, 2019 at 04:18pm.

Pretty much. The movie merchandise for both movies pretty much killed it.
    Hopefully though with the new Snake Eyes movie coming there will be some new merchandise...especially 6" figures.
    Hmm Forgot about the Snake Eyes movie. I really do hope Hasbro looks into a 6 inch line for Gi Joe since that really seems to be the ideal size considering pricing, etc (especially since 3 inch figures are almost as expensive as 6 inch).

- - - Updated - - -

The last retail line they had were Toys R Us exclusives. I think 2016 was the last year. The G.I. Joe Club Figure Subscription Service just ended in 2018 I believe, maybe even more recent than that. They have some really cool figures, but they're obscenely expensive (relative to retail). And there have been Convention exclusives which, again, are usually crazy expensive.

Like Mark said, I figure they're waiting for the movie before they try to go back to retail.
    ***Fingers crossed***

Heroic Warrior
    I can't believe that people would actually be interested in a Snake Eyes movie. He's the completely silent, completely masked, mysterious guy who hangs in the background and occasionally does something cool. He's not leading man material. If anything I think the reason that the last two movies had so much trouble was that they focused TOO MUCH on Snake eyes. The whole concept sounds terrible.

I hate to say it, but I think the first movie will be the best we ever get for GI JOE... they really seemed to 'get' the product... but still the mech suits and the Snake eyes backstory just killed it.

But man... there's still something about Dennis Quaid's General Hawk barking "We're GIJOE, When everyone else fails... we don't!' that gives me chills

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I can't believe that people would actually be interested in a Snake Eyes movie. He's the completely silent, completely masked, mysterious guy who hangs in the background and occasionally does something cool. He's not leading man material. If anything I think the reason that the last two movies had so much trouble was that they focused TOO MUCH on Snake eyes. The whole concept sounds terrible.

I hate to say it, but I think the first movie will be the best we ever get for GI JOE... they really seemed to 'get' the product... but still the mech suits and the Snake eyes backstory just killed it.

But man... there's still something about Dennis Quaid's General Hawk barking "We're GIJOE, When everyone else fails... we don't!' that gives me chills
    I do somewhat agree with you.
    To me the first G.I. Joe movie tried doing too much with the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow back story along with the Duke and Baroness, Cobra Commander, Destro back stories along with Duke and Ripcord joining the team.

I would have preferred a the first movie to have been more like the original first comic. The formation of the team of the elite best troopers and doing one mission.

As a big fan of the G.I. Joe comics there is a great story to be told just focussing on Snake Eyes and the Storm Shadow and Arashikage back story. But the movie just needs to focus on Snake Eyes and maybe a couple other heroes rather than trying to cram too much into the story.
    Hopefully the Snake Eyes movie can turn out like the Bumblebee movie which was excellent compared to the other Bay movies. .

This is a better live action incarnation of G.I. Joe than either of the two movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkPEHM38_DA

Snake Eyes was always the focal point of the comic (and still is even though he died like 50 issues ago), and like Mark said, there is a wealth of material to work with there. My concern with the Snake Eyes movie is that it sounds like they are stripping away almost everything "G.I. Joe" and making a generic ninja movie except with recognizable names thrown in. In my opinion, the decision to make Snake Eyes Asian in this movie is akin to remaking The Last Samurai and making Tom Cruise's character Asian: it completely undermines the premise.

There is an excellent Snake Eyes comic called Snake Eyes Declassified. It's from around 2005 and it really does a great job of taking all the elements of Snake Eyes story and weaving it together into a very solid narrative, bridging the gap from Snake Eyes' childhood to his military service to his time with G.I. Joe. I'd love to see a film based on that. It offers up plenty of time prior to his accident while Snake Eyes is still able to speak and introduced the dynamics between Tommy Arashikage/ Storm Shadow, Stalker, Scarlett, Zartan, and even Cobra Commander. Done right, that could be a fantastic way of reintroducing G.I.Joe to audiences while really focusing on a fairly character driven story.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

@Sword2Blanket

Agree.Snake Eyes should not be Asian in the movie. Storm Shadow is but nit Snake Eyes.

On the side note:
    Tom Cruise is not asian in the Last Samurai, the movie clearly shows that.

@Barbecue17

Agree.

By the power of Grayskull!!!!

This is a better live action incarnation of G.I. Joe than either of the two movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkPEHM38_DA

Snake Eyes was always the focal point of the comic (and still is even though he died like 50 issues ago), and like Mark said, there is a wealth of material to work with there. My concern with the Snake Eyes movie is that it sounds like they are stripping away almost everything "G.I. Joe" and making a generic ninja movie except with recognizable names thrown in. In my opinion, the decision to make Snake Eyes Asian in this movie is akin to remaking The Last Samurai and making Tom Cruise's character Asian: it completely undermines the premise.
    Yes I liked the fish out of water vibe with Snake Eyes being a white male going to the orient and becoming a ninja etc.
    But it won't really matter if he is Asian or not. Not all Asians are martial artists lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    There is an excellent Snake Eyes comic called Snake Eyes Declassified. It's from around 2005 and it really does a great job of taking all the elements of Snake Eyes story and weaving it together into a very solid narrative, bridging the gap from Snake Eyes' childhood to his military service to his time with G.I. Joe. I'd love to see a film based on that. It offers up plenty of time prior to his accident while Snake Eyes is still able to speak and introduced the dynamics between Tommy Arashikage/ Storm Shadow, Stalker, Scarlett, Zartan, and even Cobra Commander. Done right, that could be a fantastic way of reintroducing G.I.Joe to audiences while really focusing on a fairly character driven story.
    Snake Eyes Declassified was awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    @Sword2Blanket

Agree.Snake Eyes should not be Asian in the movie. Storm Shadow is but nit Snake Eyes.

On the side note:
    Tom Cruise is not asian in the Last Samurai, the movie clearly shows that.

@Barbecue17

Agree.

He didn't say Tom Cruise was Asian. He said it would have been odd if Tom Cruises character in The Last Samurai had been Asian. It wouldn't have the same fish out of water vibe.

YES. I'm only a casual Joe fan, but I'd love to have a few key characters in 6' scale.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Yes I liked the fish out of water vibe with Snake Eyes being a white male going to the orient and becoming a ninja etc.
    But it won't really matter if he is Asian or not. Not all Asians are martial artists lol.
    I do generally prefer that characters with long term, relatively consistent histories not be changed just for arbitrary or dubious reasons, but that's not so much my point in this case. In my mind, Snakes Eyes kind of represents the merger and coexistence of two distinct cultures and frames of mind: the U.S. and Japan, the military and the ninja clan. My concern is that this concept will be greatly eroded if not eliminated completely in this film.

These are the rumors regarding the movie that hisstank has posted:

“When we meet this new, younger Snake Eyes, it’ll be as a street fighter in Peru. Driven by the desire to avenge the death of his father, Snake Eyes is apparently a man on the move until he ends up in Japan, where he and his best friend, Tommy, aka Storm Shadow, will begin their training with the Arashikage Clan. The film will see at least 3 of the clan’s legendary masters as they train Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow as Hard Master, Soft Master and Blind Master are all set to appear. Also present at the Arashikage compound is the film’s female lead, Akita. In comic continuity, Junko Akita was an apprentice and lover of Storm Shadow; here she is the head of security and will be a love interest for Snake Eyes.”

“Of course if it’s a GI Joe movie, Cobra must somehow be present and in this instance their presence is made manifest in what appears to be a character created for the film: Kenta. Kenta is revealed to be Storm Shadow’s brother who has long since left his family, the Arashikage, and joined with a rival ninja clan, the Kurayami. It is Kenta who attempts to lure Snake Eyes away from the Arashikage and into a terrorist plot being devised by Cobra. We won’t delve too deeply into spoiler territory here, but we can see what side of things Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow will take and this film certainly seems to set the stage for one of the great comic book rivalries.”

Granted, these are just rumors, but as I said before, this just sounds like a generic ninja movie with G.I. Joe names sprinkled in.

On the subject of Snake Eyes Declassified:

I agree that it was a great story that did an good job summing up the story of Snake Eyes. I think it would have been an excellent template for a Snake Eyes movie. My only problem with that story was the addition of vigilante/criminal hijinks with Cobra Commander. That part seemed weird to me.
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; October 24, 2019 at 04:17pm.

I do generally prefer that characters with long term, relatively consistent histories not be changed just for arbitrary or dubious reasons, but that's not so much my point in this case. In my mind, Snakes Eyes kind of represents the merger and coexistence of two distinct cultures and frames of mind: the U.S. and Japan, the military and the ninja clan. My concern is that this concept will be greatly eroded if not eliminated completely in this film.

These are the rumors regarding the movie that hisstank has posted:

“When we meet this new, younger Snake Eyes, it’ll be as a street fighter in Peru. Driven by the desire to avenge the death of his father, Snake Eyes is apparently a man on the move until he ends up in Japan, where he and his best friend, Tommy, aka Storm Shadow, will begin their training with the Arashikage Clan. The film will see at least 3 of the clan’s legendary masters as they train Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow as Hard Master, Soft Master and Blind Master are all set to appear. Also present at the Arashikage compound is the film’s female lead, Akita. In comic continuity, Junko Akita was an apprentice and lover of Storm Shadow; here she is the head of security and will be a love interest for Snake Eyes.”

“Of course if it’s a GI Joe movie, Cobra must somehow be present and in this instance their presence is made manifest in what appears to be a character created for the film: Kenta. Kenta is revealed to Storm Shadow’s brother who has long since left his family, the Arashikage, and joined with a rival ninja clan, the Kurayami. It is Kenta who attempts to lure Snake Eyes away from the Arashikage and into a terrorist plot being devised by Cobra. We won’t delve too deeply into spoiler territory here, but we can see what side of things Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow will take and this film certainly seems to set the stage for one of the great comic book rivalries.”

Granted, these are just rumors, but as I said before, this just sounds like a generic ninja movie with G.I. Joe names sprinkled in.

On the subject of Snake Eyes Declassified:

I agree that it was a great story that did an excellent job summing up the story of Snake Eyes. I think it would have been an excellent template for a Snake Eyes movie. My only problem with that story was the addition of vigilante/criminal hijinks with Cobra Commander. That part seemed weird to me.
    Sounds a bit like a generic ninja movie.
    I think I read that they cast someone to play Scarlett in the movie a while back.

Not getting into race etc I did prefer the dynamic between Snake Eyes being a white American and his best friend/sword brother/nemesis being the Japanese Storm Shadow.
    The casting of Ray Park to play Snake Eyes in the previous movies was really disappointing. Good martial artist and actor but he was not right for the part. imagine he only got the part because there was no speaking and had to wear a mask.
    Same with the vast majority of the movie cast. Duke, Baroness, Destro and Zartan.

I must admit the Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander part in Declassified seemed a bit too much.