Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattel asks: What does Masters mean to you?

Mattel asks: What does Masters mean to you?

Mattel has posted on their social media asking fans what MOTU means to them.
    Please post your thoughts here,
    and also on one of Mattel's social media accounts:
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter

Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    These will be fun to read through as people start submitting their responses!
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Masters Of The Universe means the world to me. From childhood, I enjoyed watching the cartoons, playing with the action figures and play sets. In adulthood, with the introduction of the internet (He-Man.org) and attending San Diego Comic Con and Power-Con, my appreciation for Masters Of The Universe expanded by interacting with, meeting and creating friendships with other MOTU fans! I thank He-Man and She-Ra for bringing us together! ⚔️
    Manny

My mind bursts with so many aspects of how to answer. I'll compose my thoughts and post them here, and on their FB.

So many thoughts!

Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    MOTU were with we through all my childhood and my first dream had been for a long time to have all the motu collection .
    Things borrowed for about ten years and start resurrecting as I got a job and discovered that I could buy motu stuffs still …
    I reassembled a full collection during my early work years and so came Motu Classics. I fell in love with them and it brought me pretty toys to get connetion with my childhood forever.
    I miss them right now …

To be short : MOTU = permanent portal to childhood

Masters of the Universe and She-Ra Princess of Power are both a portal to make me feel young again! When I walk into my collection room I instantly find myself in the 80's again, surrounded by friends and family (some now gone)...I will NEVER part with my collection as long as I live. I long to see MOTU return to mainstream like it was in the 80's I have dreamed of that day for so many years!
    Awesome new Fantasy RPG 5E/D&D magazine coming and you can pre-order at the link below!
    https://broadsword.samcart.com/refer...6eQLqoCrE2Uoap

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

MOTU is a pop culture icon that deserves a wide theatrical film release instead of straight to Netflix if Mattel is serious about a full scale re-launch of the brand.

To me MASTERS will always mean...my parents. First my father, who toiled long hours in Manufacturing Human Resources and drove a beat-up old Datsun. He was always quick to preach the value of a dollar, but happy to surprise his 6 year-old son on Christmas Day 1982 with a large gift-wrapped box (Castle Grayskull) and then patiently assembling all of its various components and decals.

And then my mother, who saw value in the creativity and imagination stimulated by these durable, finely-sculpted toys. I still vividly recall riding home from Service Merchandise, humming along to Deniece Williams' "Let's Hear It For The Boy" in the back of a grey Oldsmobile station wagon, while prying the plastic bubble from the cardback of my brand new Prince Adam figure. Thanks Mom and Dad.
    MOTU FAN since 1982

When I think about masters, it makes me think of sunny country side days in the 80s where adventure was on the horizon. When there were few cars on the road, no mobile phones and people just seemed happier.

It's joy, it's fun, it's magic, it's doing the right thing, it's dinner time, it's escapism, it's a nice place with happy endings... Its just the best and I am happier inside because of it.
    That's what masters of the universe means to me.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    First time I saw these characters in a toy isle I fell in love with the line. It was the times of Star Wars absolutely dominating the toy stores. Now, in my adult life, this is the only hobby I keep. The only time I give to myself, at the same time it has become something to share with my little kids, our own secret world. In summary, MOTU is my only liaison to a bit of self-indulgence, my escape from everyday’ s problems of real life, a little bit of happiness to some extent.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Heroic Warrior
    MotU means creativity. For me, it helped my imagination grow as a kid and helped me to develop my drawing skills. It also means all the scrimping and saving my mom did for me and my brother to get us MotU toys and keep smiles on our faces.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Masters Of The Universe was my favorite toy line from my childhood. The property is an amazing blend of fantasy and science fiction where any type of character would fit in perfectly.

I have collected The Masters of the Universe Classics line since it began in 2008 and I will continue to do so should that line be brought out of hibernation.

He-Man, Battle Cat, and the rest of the Masters Of The Universe property are characters, that despite being from a different genera. I rank right along side Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man Superman, Batman and Shazam.

I enjoy watching and reading about He-Man's adventures just as much as I do any of the heroes I just mentioned. I think Masters of the Universe should be treated with the same respect that Marvel and DC have. Perhaps then the general audience will appreciate He-Man and the rest of the Masters of the Universe property in a similar way that they do The Marvel and DC properties.
    Last edited by SimbasGuard; October 21, 2019 at 09:52pm.
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.

I imagine my view is an uncommon one when I say that there is next to zero nostalgic appeal to MOTU to me. Yes, I was a child of the 80s, and I saw the cartoons as a kid. I disliked them. (In terms of nostalgic strength, I was -- and still am -- much more of a Transformers fan, although that was catalyzed mainly by the 1986 feature film). As a child, I thought Filmation's take on He-Man was watered-down and lacking in much appeal. I didn't care for its moralizing nonsense, either. Sure, it had that very memorable transformation sequence, and the odd great episode or two (*cough* Shokoti's *cough), but was otherwise ho-hum boring to me at the time (and still largely is). That aside, I never really cared for the toys of the time, although the idea of a few sort of hooked me (Faker). I remember really liking the early mini-comic portrayal much better, and so was even more disappointed by the kid-gloves, G-rated rendition of MOTU in Filmation. Bleh.

As such, nostalgia does not factor into how MOTU appeals to me, or what it means to me. No connection to the show, no connection to the vintage toys.

So, what does it mean to me? What keeps me collecting, keeps me interested in following its development (in any/all forms) ongoing?

MOTU is about compelling, imaginative heroes and villains vying for (the) power. It is about a fascinating and endlessly inspiring blend of science-fantasy with a rooting in sword-and-sorcery. It is about the characters and stories we know, yes, but it is much much more about -- in the sense of an ongoing interest -- all the stories not yet told, all the characters not yet known from this rich and endlessly inspiring core mythology, cosmology, and, yes, ontology.

Masters is about the Universe. What it has been, what it has yet to become.

That's what has me hooked. That's what compels me to collect figures, what fuels my enthusiasm for what may come (as well as my disappointment when things go very, very wrongly athwart the core, characteristic mythos ... *cough* Dreamworks *cough).

As such, I do so wish: Long live Masters of the Universe!

Last edited by The Timeless One; October 21, 2019 at 10:22pm.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

The first action figure toys I ever got were Mattel's Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars Captain America, Hobgoblin, Turbo Cycle and Doom Roller. Still have my original Hobgoblin.
    Had a lot of fun getting the original MOTU figures. Nearly every week we had to go to a hardware shop for supplies for my Dad's work that had a huge selection of MOTU figures and every time we were at the shop my Mum and Dad would get me one or two figures. Strangely enough there never seemed to have all that many good guys, mostly villains. Ironically out of the huge selection they had they never had He-Man, I got him one day as a surprise at a supermarket in town.
    After 200X I can't honestly say I have had much fun or interest in Mattel's products. I hope they can start making good MOTU toys at retail again with Origins etc.
    Although as much as I loved the toys, MOTU was never my favourite as I was always more of a fan of Star Wars, Thundercats, Transformers, G.I. Joe and TMNT.
    Last edited by Mark M; October 22, 2019 at 12:03pm.

Widget
    My parents split up when I was little, and I was abused by a family "friend". My trip to the toy shop in West Wickham with my Nan was really my only truly "happy' childhood memory. I have spoken with my counsellor in detail about what MOTU meant to me - being unsure in the world but being able to become powerful and make a difference helped me get through. I adore everything MOTU and have shared my collection with my own children who love the colourful characters. Thankfully they can enjoy MOTU in a much different way to me and it makes my day to hear my 4 year old girl make up her own stories with the figures and playsets - including Eternia!

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing. I hope you have been able to make up for the loss of your childhood. My wife and I both have had things in our childhood that ripped away innocence and joy. We have been able to start our healing process through other means (not going to talk religion here due to the rules), but also for me personally Masters of the Universe just adds a fun fictional place to escape. It sparked my imagination as a kid and it is doing the same today with my own kids. The characters and locations were so different than most anything else around. I loved that there was good and evil and not a soupy gray mixture like the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmarshall1980 View Post
    My parents split up when I was little, and I was abused by a family "friend". My trip to the toy shop in West Wickham with my Nan was really my only truly "happy' childhood memory. I have spoken with my counsellor in detail about what MOTU meant to me - being unsure in the world but being able to become powerful and make a difference helped me get through. I adore everything MOTU and have shared my collection with my own children who love the colourful characters. Thankfully they can enjoy MOTU in a much different way to me and it makes my day to hear my 4 year old girl make up her own stories with the figures and playsets - including Eternia!
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

TO me.. its sword and sorcery meets sci-fi at its best.. I've always loved MOTU( toys not cartoon) for its weirdness and for the hodgepodge of characters where imagination can take over! One of my favorite toy lines of ALL TIME!
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

Heroic Warrior
    Back when I was a kid, I started out with starwars empire strikes back, then my mom got this new toy gi joe and soon later he man. I was hooked on both lines there on out. Then thee cartoon came out and just solidified both lines for me. Stuck with he man til little after the cartoon ended and just stuck with joes cause they got real dope at that point. That's why I'm here as an adult collecting modern versions of both those lines. To me they both were the best toys ever made and to a young me meant the world.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    now:memories. Childhood

then:I suppose...amazement. wonder.

Masters Of The Universe itīs every day in my life since I was a child, just because I never grew up, Iīm still the same heroic warrior from years ago. When you born in a hard country as Maexico, MOTU becomes your hope, your hero, your principles, your guide and your touchstone when evil warriors want to destroy your world.
    MOTU itīs the best thing I have in my life.
    If I could, I wouldn't work and play with my toys with my old friends in my room all the day.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Masters of the universe has been being a part of my life since I am 4.

Fantastic memories with toys and the awesome Filmation cartoon when I was a child.

Vintage figures I am still collecting and Classics figures I hope I will be able to collect again and for a long time...
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:[email protected] $$$$$

Motu means: perfection.

With the vintage toyline Mattel just traumatized me, because of Motu I became a bad student at school I used all my time to draw and to think about Motu instead of studying
    When I came home my only obsession was to go play and create fantastic scenarios during long hours with my toys (Faker was the stronger, just for the anecdote).
    I lost many hours of my childhood life to look at all the drawings/artworks on the packagings, read and reread each mini comic, toy catalogs etc
    At the Tv my obsession was to see the Motu ADs between shows.
    I was like a zombie when watching the cartoon, but I was more interested by the toy universe with the mini comics, packaging artworks atmosphere etc (more savage and mature)

MASTERS impregnated me for my whole life.
    Same thing for Pop, I can't explain my trauma the first day I discovered the She-Ra existence...

In parallel, all the things made/created around the Motu universe since 2000 never made me so enthusiastic and passionate than the vintage Mattel period (excepted for the S7 He-Ro).
    I really expect a lot from the current Mattel for their future plans, do not laught with us guys! Motu is serious! lol
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; October 24, 2019 at 08:51pm.

MOTU means creative freedom for me. My nostalgia isn't that big a deal. I enjoyed MOTU as a kid, walked away for a long time, and came back with Classics. I love the swords and sorcery vibe but also love the variety of characters both serious and goofy. The designs are awesome and I love how a little creativity can make just about anything fit.

A great memory from my childhood and an exciting new world in my adulthood

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Being born in 1982, I've been a Masters of the Universe fan as long as I've had memories. It's my favorite toyline and brand. Undisputed #1 for me. I love G.I.JOE: A Real American Hero, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, etc...but I really love Masters of the Universe the most. Along with Princess of Power, it was the most fun my sister and I had playing toys as kids. The best memories!

Unlike any other property, I still get most giddy and excited when I think about or see classic 1980's Masters of the Universe. I took the end of the original line pretty hard. I was waiting for it to come back, but gave up when New Adventures came out. When we first got internet in the 90's, He-Man was one of the first things I ever searched for. I then found this site and saw there was still a fondness for the brand.

I was super excited when the Commemorative Line came out in 2000. I appreciated 200x but it wasn't exactly like what I grew up with.

Then 2008 came. I love Masters of the Universe Classics because they feel like the updated complete toyline my sister and I would have wanted as kid. It reinvigorated my interest and I've been all in since. I hope it keeps going, because it's just been a blast.

So Masters of the Universe means a lot. I mean, me and a lot of others have probably sunk thousands of dollars into collecting Classics, and I'm still asking for more.