Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are your top three favorite songs and why?

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    They are pretty great. I have always heard Dave Grohl is an amazing person. Now I know giving a guitar to a kid does not seem like much, but imagine if that inspires him to grow up to be a great musician. Very cool of him!
    Dave Grohl are known for his generosity, same with Chris Martin from Coldplay.

I usually have like a top 50 mixture of nostalgic, torch, love songs, and ballads for my sleeping playlist. Usually the top 3 is either one of those two on my post and one song that I got hooked for a month, I mean crazy like how Brian Wilson obsessed with Be My Baby.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Master of New Adventures!
    Have you ever listened to the soundtrack for Streets of Fire? It's pretty amazing. Great for intense work periods, I've found. Holds up well, imo, as does the film which, while obscure, is one of my favorites. Very stylish and atmospheric and of course, I'd pay good money to watch Willem Dafoe even in a thirty-second Subaru commercial.

Here's my favorite song from the soundtrack. Doesn't hurt that Diane Lane is definitely easy on the eyes... For sure she sets the streets on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjVV6nGez2I

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    Yes. Soundtracks are really what I listen to most of the time...usually when I'm drawing or woodburning.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 6, 2019 at 01:13pm.

I never really had any particular favourite songs as such. If it was naming a favourite album that would be a lot easier.
    But three real favourites would be:

Bruce Springsteen: Tougher Than The Rest.
    This is maybe the strangest choice on the list as I only heard it for the first time last year. I first heard Springsteen's music in high school around 2001. I didn't really get it at the time. But over the next couple years I really began to appreciate it more and loved so many of his songs and got the Essential collection. I dabbled over the years listening to some songs not on the album but last year I came a across this song and loved it.

Dwight Yokham: A Thousand Miles From Nowhere.
    I am not really a big fan of country music, My Mum and Dad are big fans so I grew up hearing lots of it. I was and still am more into metal and hard rock music. But there is definitely some country music I like, Yokham's especially.

Metallica: Master Of Puppets
    My older cousin got me into metal music. He loaned me some Metallica album cassette tapes and I fell in love with them. Love loads of metal bands but of all the ones I first heard Metallica really stood out to me. Actually around October 2000 my cousin my cousin gave me a tape of the Master Of Puppets album and it was the heaviest fastest thing I had ever heard at that time and the songs were also pretty catchy.
    The title track was arguably my favourite. Since then I briefly played guitar and bass and had the music tab books of both and learned most of the song. I was never that good of a musician so gave up wanting to be a musician, I was always more interested in being an artist.
    In June 2004 I was lucky enough to see Metallica in Dublin and they played Master Of Puppets and Battery from the album.
    Last edited by Mark M; November 6, 2019 at 05:18pm.

One of the great mysteries of music is that, even with all of his amazing talent and incredible songs, Springsteen never had a song that reached #1, Dancing in the Dark coming closest when it reached #2, kept off the #1 slot by Prince's When Doves Cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I never really had any particular favourite songs as such. If it was naming a favourite album that would be a lot easier.

This is maybe the strangest choice on the list as I only heard it for the first time last year. I first heard Springsteen's music in high school around 2001. I didn't really get it at the time. But over the next couple years I really began to appreciate it more and loved so many of his songs and got the Essential collection. I dabbled over the years listening to some songs not on the album but last year I came a across this song and loved it.

I am not really a big fan of country music, My Mum and Dad are big fans so I grew up hearing lots of it. I was and still am more into metal and hard rock music. But there is definitely some country music I like, Yokham's especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    One of the great mysteries of music is that, even with all of his amazing talent and incredible songs, Springsteen never had a song that reached #1, Dancing in the Dark coming closest when it reached #2, kept off the #1 slot by Prince's When Doves Cry.
    Dancing In The Dark along with Born In The U.S.A. were the songs that really got me started liking Springsteen.
    The video with Courtney Cox was also pretty cool.

I am also a big Prince fan and really like When Doves Cry. I actually have a Purple Rain T-shirt like the one in The Goonies.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    That really is a shame. I'm not an uber-Springsteen fan (I just generally LOVE '80s music---well, heck, '80s everything!), but c'mon, give the guy one #1!

Althoouuugh, he is one of a handful of musicians to turn down appearing on "Sesame Street" (along with Madonna, Paul McCartney, and The Rolling Stones). Who does that?? If you decline appearing on "Sesame Street", I say you can't be fully trusted!

Of those decliners, Springsteen, Madonna, and The Beatles have all been parodied on the show in the '80s (Muppet musician Bruce Stringbean had musical video hits with "Born to Add", "Barn in the USA", and a girl Madonna-esque monster had a pop video hit on the show with "Cereal Girl")

And The Beatles perhaps as early as the '70s, when they were a British bug band called "The Beetles", with hits like "Letter B", "Thinking of U", "There's a Lot of Different Ways to Get to School", and Cookie Monster had a hit with "Hey, Food".
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; November 7, 2019 at 11:27am.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Imo, Born in the USA is one of the greatest songs ever recorded and sung. Of course, I bleed red, white and blue.

Here's one that's also amazing, perfectly sung by my good friend Buddy Jewell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0mBFiqv76I

https://www.thenewsdispatch.com/news...703c8e138.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    That really is a shame. I'm not an uber-Springsteen fan (I just generally LOVE '80s music---well, heck, '80s everything!), but c'mon, give the guy one #1!

Althoouuugh, he is one of a handful of musicians to turn down appearing on "Sesame Street" (along with Madonna, Paul McCartney, and The Rolling Stones). Who does that?? If you decline appearing on "Sesame Street", I say you can't be fully trusted!

Of those decliners, Springsteen, Madonna, and The Beatles have all been paroded on the show in the '80s (Muppet musician Bruce Stringbean had musical video hits with "Born to Add", "Barn in the USA", and a girl Madonna-esque monster had a pop video hit on the show with "Cereal Girl")

And The Beatles perhaps as early as the '70s, when they were a British bug band called "The Beetles", with hits like "Letter B", "Thinking of U", "There's a Lot of Different Ways to Get to School", and Cookie Monster had a hit with "Hey, Food".

I would take Prince over the Boss any day of the week. Prince was amazing!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I don't know much Prince music, but I do like "Raspberry Beret" a lot. But "When Doves Cry" has such an odd, different sound to it. It just doesn't seem like a very musical, singy kind of song to me (if that makes sense, lol). I can't believe that it kept "Dancing in the Dark" from notching up to #1.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Only know few song from the Boss but Prince's Purple Rain album is the best, I feel like it was a compilation album made for best 80's pop music album.

I Would Die 4 U are my favorite jam to be honest.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

I don't know much Prince music, but I do like "Raspberry Beret" a lot. But "When Doves Cry" has such an odd, different sound to it. It just doesn't seem like a very musical, singy kind of song to me (if that makes sense, lol). I can't believe that it kept "Dancing in the Dark" from notching up to #1.
    Oddly enough Raspberry Beret was the first Prince song I heard that started me listening to his music.

- - - Updated - - -

I like both. It's a tough choice, especially Prince's 80's music but overall I prefer Springsteen's.
    I want to go and see him on his next tour.

At the risk of sounding sexist, which I certainly am not, imo Prince appeals more to women and Springsteen appeals more to men. Not that there's anything wrong with that, any more than knitting appealing more to women and MMA appealing more to men, although there's some crossover from both sides.

At the risk of sounding sexist, which I certainly am not, imo Prince appeals more to women and Springsteen appeals more to men.
    I can see that.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, any more than knitting appealing more to women and MMA appealing more to men, although there's some crossover from both sides.
    I heard once that it was men who actually "invented" knitting.

Actually, no one's really sure. But the Egyptians were knitting socks in the 11th Century B.C.

That said, prior to my Kim working with American Cancer Society and United Way, she owned three yarn shops. I can tell you from personal experience that the overwhelming number of knitters today are women.

I can see that.

I heard once that it was men who actually "invented" knitting.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 7, 2019 at 07:52pm.

Actually, no one's really sure. But the Egyptians were knitting socks in the 11th Century B.C.

That said, prior to my Kim working with American Cancer Society and United Way, she owned three yarn shops. I can tell you from personal experience that the overwhelming number of knitters today are women.
    While I don't disagree that most knitters are women, my husband actually just went on an all-men knitting retreat this past weekend, which included both straight and gay men. It's definitely broadening its appeal beyond just women.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Outstanding choices.
    Thanks! Appreciate the reply!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post

My older cousin got me into metal music. He loaned me some Metallica album cassette tapes and I fell in love with them. Love loads of metal bands but of all the ones I first heard Metallica really stood out to me. Actually around October 2000 my cousin my cousin gave me a tape of the Master Of Puppets album and it was the heaviest fastest thing I had ever heard at that time and the songs were also pretty catchy.
    The title track was arguably my favourite. Since then I briefly played guitar and bass and had the music tab books of both and learned most of the song. I was never that good of a musician so gave up wanting to be a musician, I was always more interested in being an artist.
    In June 2004 I was lucky enough to see Metallica in Dublin and they played Master Of Puppets and Battery from the album.
    I was 11 in 1986. Puppets was my first CD that year. I was too young to see them on the Puppets tour when they opened for Ozzy but made it in to see them for the And Justice tour. Obviously never got to see Cliff. As a bassist that’s a big hole in my heart. I went to their listening party at the Garden for the Black album and kind of felt the ride was over.

While I love most of the songs on that album, Battery not the least, Puppets is (IMHO) the best thrash metal song ever. I’ve watched folk not even into metal do reaction videos of Puppets and they were blown away. That bridge is fantastic. Excellent choice.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; November 7, 2019 at 11:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Thanks! Appreciate the reply!

- - - Updated - - -

I was 11 in 1986. Puppets was my first CD that year. I was too young to see them on the Puppets tour when they opened for Ozzy but made it in to see them for the And Justice tour. Obviously never got to see Cliff. As a bassist that’s a big hole in my heart. I went to their listening party at the Garden for the Black album and kind of felt the ride was over.

While I love most of the songs on that album, Battery not the least, Puppets is (IMHO) the best thrash metal song ever. I’ve watched folk not even into metal do reaction videos of Puppets and they were blown away. That bridge is fantastic. Excellent choice.
    That's awesome. Yeah I am not much of a fan of anything after the Black album.
    Cliff was an amazing musician. The quality o their music really went down after he died. Although ...And Justice For All and the Black album are still good albums.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to learn to knit in college as I studied art and design crafts. For a jewellery piece I was making I had to knight a section of wire. It took ages and was very frustrating.

You'd think a colder climate would have started it first, lol. Like Scandinavia or something.

I can tell you from personal experience that the overwhelming number of knitters today are women.
    Oh of course, it's a stereotype that only women knit, because the vast majority are women. For the longest time now many people have associated knitting and crocheting and macrame with "grannies", therefore it's not considered "masculine".

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    While I don't disagree that most knitters are women, my husband actually just went on an all-men knitting retreat this past weekend, which included both straight and gay men. It's definitely broadening its appeal beyond just women.
    That's very cool. I remember being really intrigued by seeing needlepoint when I was a kid.

I definitely get your point about the 'granny' stereotype in knitting. But that's changed a lot in recent years, partly because of younger celebs who are knitting.

When Kim had her yarn shops I would go in on the weekends and run the espresso machine and what I saw was a cross section of age groups, but with a lot of younger knitters.

Working in her shops inspired me to write my bestselling steamy murder mystery, CAST ON, BET'S OFF. which has a yarn shop as the central location and the owner as a lead character. We're presently in pre-production on a fully funded pilot episode, based on the novel, that I will be producing and directing in North Carolina this Spring and I can tell you we're aiming at the 18-49 key demographic for the series.

https://www.thatusedbookstore.com/?p...&offset=0&fs=1

You'd think a colder climate would have started it first, lol. Like Scandinavia or something.

Oh of course, it's a stereotype that only women knit, because the vast majority are women. For the longest time now many people have associated knitting and crocheting and macrame with "grannies", therefore it's not considered "masculine".

That's very cool. I remember being really intrigued by seeing needlepoint when I was a kid.

Wow Mr. Jack, that is very cool!

And yes, you are right of course that many young gals are knitters nowadays (I know some guys/men knit too, I just haven't seen any out anywhere). I have seen a good number of them like to knit things like hats with character, and little creatures for your desk and such.

One of my favorite childhood shows, "Under the Umbrella Tree" from our neighbors up north in Canada, featured an episode where Holly, you was probably in her late 20s or 30-ish, tried to learn how to knit (and cute-ly failed, lol).

I've got a hunch no one ever teased Rosey about knitting and crocheting...or about his first name, for that matter. :

https://www.crochetconcupiscence.com...r-rosey-grier/

As an aside, how the heck did we travel from music to knitting?! Let's get back on thread.

Wow Mr. Jack, that is very cool!

And yes, you are right of course that many young gals are knitters nowadays (I know some guys/men knit too, I just haven't seen any out anywhere). I have seen a good number of them like to knit things like hats with character, and little creatures for your desk and such.

One of my favorite childhood shows, "Under the Umbrella Tree" from our neighbors up north in Canada, featured an episode where Holly, you was probably in her late 20s or 30-ish, tried to learn how to knit (and cute-ly failed, lol).
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 8, 2019 at 05:56pm.

I've got a hunch no one ever teased Rosey about knitting and crocheting...or about his first name, for that matter. :
    Well, I see that's a nickname for "Roosevelt", lol. Very interesting article! Great photos, too :-)

As an aside, how the heck did we travel from music to knitting?! Let's get back on thread.

I apologize for my part in the thread's derailment. But I'd be happy to stroll down a side path with Mr. Jack and discuss knitting, lol.

Too bad there aren't any songs about knitting anyone loves, much less any at all! lol

At the risk of sounding sexist, which I certainly am not, imo Prince appeals more to women and Springsteen appeals more to men. Not that there's anything wrong with that, any more than knitting appealing more to women and MMA appealing more to men, although there's some crossover from both sides.
    I do not think that is sexist at all. I have to laugh when it comes to the Boss or John Cougar Mellencamp (I am probably butchering his name) because my uncle who is like a really tough guy has an autographed picture of them on his dresser - LOL! They are 'men's men!'
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!!! You just have to be into it. It's a niche thing.

http://theknittingneedleandthedamage...out%20knitting

You see? You derailed me again!

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

Michael Corleone, THE GODFATHER: PART III

Well, I see that's a nickname for "Roosevelt", lol. Very interesting article! Great photos, too :-)

I apologize for my part in the thread's derailment. But I'd be happy to stroll down a side path with Mr. Jack and discuss knitting, lol.

Too bad there aren't any songs about knitting anyone loves, much less any at all! lol
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 8, 2019 at 07:58pm.

I was learning to crochet and there are a lot of young people who do it. I find a lot of their creations distasteful though. I used to support a local crocheter until I started seeing her 'propaganda pieces.' It is a shame.