Thread: Commemorative 5 Pack Artwork

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar

Commemorative 5 Pack Artwork

In the commemorative series they released two different five packs. The first came with Prince Adam as the exclusive figure.

Anyone know why on the Prince Adam set they made the evil warriors panel have a mix of artwork and photos of the toys? It looks really tacky and I always just assumed they couldn’t find all of the artwork so they made an unholy conglomeration. Just curious if anyone knows for sure what happened.

Here is a picture. I apologize for the quality. The shiny foil like printing on these makes them hard to snap on a cell phone.

D254F592-E04A-4213-901E-225817B616F5.jpg
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    In the commemorative series they released two different five packs. The first came with Prince Adam as the exclusive figure.

Anyone know why on the Prince Adam set they made the evil warriors panel have a mix of artwork and photos of the toys? It looks really tacky and I always just assumed they couldn’t find all of the artwork so they made an unholy conglomeration. Just curious if anyone knows for sure what happened.

Here is a picture. I apologize for the quality. The shiny foil like printing on these makes them hard to snap on a cell phone.

D254F592-E04A-4213-901E-225817B616F5.jpg
    It is because Mattel lost a part of the original cross sell arts in their archives.
    In the Dark Horse artbook You can see exactly the same cross sell arts missing: Trap Jaw, Evil-Lyn, Faker (and as I know, same case about original Skeletor and original He-Man), I have no idea if more are missing or not in their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    It is because Mattel lost a part of the original cross sell arts in their archives.
    In the Dark Horse artbook You can see exactly the same cross sell arts missing: Trap Jaw, Evil-Lyn, Faker (and as I know, same case about original Skeletor and original He-Man), I have no idea if more are missing or not in their hands.

Thanks! I don’t have the Dark Horse book yet. That is what I assumed. What a shame.

Forgive my ignorance, but I see Panthor has a green Battle Cat helmet on the cross sell as well. As far as I know Panthor only had the saddle, but was he promoted on the vintage cross sell artwork as having the green helmet as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but I see Panthor has a green Battle Cat helmet on the cross sell as well. As far as I know Panthor only had the saddle, but was he promoted on the vintage cross sell artwork as having the green helmet as well?
    Yeah - I found that strange too. When I look through my vintage items I only ever see Battlecat depicted in the cross sell artwork. I would love it if someone else has an idea if Panthor was in the cross sell artwork and what it looked like.

Edit: just looked on the Battle Ram Blog and found that the cross sell artwork does not have the helmet. My guess is Mattel lost the Panthor artwork too and just recolored Battle Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Yeah - I found that strange too. When I look through my vintage items I only ever see Battlecat depicted in the cross sell artwork. I would love it if someone else has an idea if Panthor was in the cross sell artwork and what it looked like.

Edit: just looked on the Battle Ram Blog and found that the cross sell artwork does not have the helmet. My guess is Mattel lost the Panthor artwork too and just recolored Battle Cat.
    Yes, there's a catalog pic I've seen announcing the Commemorative line, and they have a pic of Panthor with the helmet. Maybe they thought the example they had acquired to copy was just missing the helmet.

Early Filmation artwork features an early (black) Panthor with a helmet as well, but that's probably coincidental. I doubt Mattel knew anything about that in 2000.