Thread: Happy 50th Anniversary to "Sesame Street"!

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Happy 50th Anniversary to "Sesame Street"!

WOO-HOO!!

One of the world's favorite streets celebrates its golden 50th anniversary this month!

It was on November 10, 1969 when the very first episode broadcast over the airwaves, and the rest, we can fittingly say, is history. :-)

My favorite eras of the show are the "golden age" from '69 to '79, and then the "silver age" from '80 to '90, which is coincidentally "the Jim era" (Jim Henson, of course).

So many wonderful, touching, hilarious, entertaining, and engaging characters, skits, songs, moments, and stories. One way I've been celebrating is playing my 400+ playlist of Sesame songs whenever I'm in my car straight through (I'm through about 130 so far), and I've noticed doing that has kept me in such a good mood.

And as a cyber celebration, for you fellow Instagrammers, my Instagram page is "going Sesame" for all of November in celebration of this very special milestone. I'll be sharing pictures of a lot of things from my collection of vintage Sesame stuff. If you're a Muppets/Henson/Sesame/PBS fan, my Instgram handle is: treasure_chamber

Let's celebrate the street!
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; November 4, 2019 at 01:46pm.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Wow! 50 years! That's crazy. I should get some sesame chicken to celebrate Sesame Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    Wow! 50 years! That's crazy. I should get some sesame chicken to celebrate Sesame Street.
    There's one way!

Here are some celebratory vids!

Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Hard to believe one of Henson's creations is that old
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Y'all, they're sayin' the 50th celebration special is not to be missed. It aired this past weekend on HBO, and it will air Sunday November 17th on PBS. It's so wonderful seeing the veteran cast members and Muppets in this photo. Looking forward to it!

-

50 years is pretty amazing. I am one of those weird kids that never really got into Sesame Street. I watched it a few times, but I really didn't like any of the characters (except Oscar, which is funny because I am pretty salty). My children have never seen it either, but we really limit screen time.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Don't forget, Grover is also a Jedi Master. I swear, Frank Oz's Yoda voice is basically the same as his Grover voice.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat
    I am one of those weird kids that never really got into Sesame Street. I watched it a few times, but I really didn't like any of the characters (except Oscar, which is funny because I am pretty salty). My children have never seen it either
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Don't forget, Grover is also a Jedi Master. I swear, Frank Oz's Yoda voice is basically the same as his Grover voice.
    lol, it's different, but yes, it definitely is quite similar. Frank doesn't have a big library of voices---but boy, can he puppeteer!

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I am one of those weird kids that never really got into Sesame Street. I watched it a few times, but I really didn't like any of the characters (except Oscar, which is funny because I am pretty salty).
    Funny to think I am almost as old as Sesame Street myself. I was kind of a sensitive kid, and I'm told that when I was much, much younger, I was terrified of Bert and Ernie. Probably Oscar too, although I have softened on him somewhat as I got older. My brothers used to tell me Bert and Ernie would get me. One time, my folks had gone out and one of my brothers was babysitting me. He told me to go to bed or Bert and Ernie would get me. So of course I ran and hid in my bedroom and eventually fell asleep. After a few hours, so did he. So when my family came in and woke him, the first thing he said in his half-asleep state was "AAAAH! Bert and Ernie are here." I missed that at the time but when he told me about it years later I did think it was funny.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

I did like The Muppets though

Dave-Man - That is funny. I remember my brother being afraid of Snuffie (sp?).
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Funny to think I am almost as old as Sesame Street myself. I was kind of a sensitive kid, and I'm told that when I was much, much younger, I was terrified of Bert and Ernie. My brothers used to tell me Bert and Ernie would get me. One time, my folks had gone out and one of my brothers was babysitting me. He told me to go to bed or Bert and Ernie would get me. So of course I ran and hid in my bedroom and eventually fell asleep. After a few hours, so did he. So when my family came in and woke him, the first thing he said in his half-asleep state was "AAAAH! Bert and Ernie are here." I missed that at the time but when he told me about it years later I did think it was funny.
    Hahaha, that is too funny! And I wonder why you were terrified of Bert and Ernie so?? lol

I remember my brother being afraid of Snuffie (sp?).
    Snuffy, short for Mr. Snuffleupagus. And that's cute that he was scared of him, lol...the original version was kinda creepy with those crazy eyes (who "okayed" those??), but the Snuffy of the later '70s and beyond is such a big ol' loveable pal.

For comparison, here are "Creepy Snuffy" and "Sane Snuffy", lol:

creepy snuffy.jpg friendly snuffy.jpg

Holy crap! Creepy Snuffy is the stuff of nightmares - LOL!

Holy crap! Creepy Snuffy is the stuff of nightmares - LOL!
    Right?? Though I'm curious which version scared your brother---Creepy Snuffy, I could understand!

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Right?? Though I'm curious which version scared your brother---Creepy Snuffy, I could understand!
    Never saw that one, so definitely the newer version. I think the idea of him being an imaginary friend and only Big Bird could see him (or something along those lines) did not help matters.

Never saw that one, so definitely the newer version. I think the idea of him being an imaginary friend and only Big Bird could see him (or something along those lines) did not help matters.
    UGH, yes, I was so against that. That drove me bonkers as a child!! I think it was cruel to drag that out for FOURTEEN YEARS. FINALLY in 1985 he was revealed to be REAL, and my older sister was jealous that "my generation" got the reveal, LOL!

Happy Anniversary, over all of Billy Joel's performance on Just the Way You Are? I prefer this one more than the others.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Happy Anniversary, over all of Billy Joel's performance on Just the Way You Are? I prefer this one more than the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHC3M7KL2ns
    Wow, I never knew Billy Joel or Marlee Matlin appeared on SS!

From Muppet Wiki:

Billy Joel (b. 1949) appeared on Sesame Street during Season 20 (1988), singing "Just the Way You Are" with Marlee Matlin for Oscar the Grouch. He also sang "The Alphabet Song" to the Anything Muppets on the program.

Incidintally, Linda Bove, the deaf librarian on the show, fascinated me as a child with sign language. She inspired me to minor in American Sign Language in college.